Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rorahusky posted:

I get the distinct feeling that a good number of these people shrieking about reinstating Pardoe are just right wing culture warriors who jump into every debate screaming about cancel culture, and don't actually buy from CGL.

Yeah the "get woke go broke" guys are a bunch of loud marauders who insert themselves into every bit of drama they can find and rarely have any attachment to it before they heard it was the latest culture war angle. Not only were they not paying customers before, but their "go broke" prophecy never plays out, because most existing fans didn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Battletech was always surprisingly light on fellow travellers, when you stack it up against 40K or the hardcore grognard scene. Most people that played Avalon Hill games considered the US Army the opfor, if you catch my drift

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah the "get woke go broke" guys are a bunch of loud marauders who insert themselves into every bit of drama they can find and rarely have any attachment to it before they heard it was the latest culture war angle. Not only were they not paying customers before, but their "go broke" prophecy never plays out, because most existing fans didn't care.

Ehhh, I gotta disagree there, met plenty who say that and closets full of BT stuff. What i've found more is that most of them swore not to buy anymore but quickly buckled because they want to keep seeing what happens to their favorite universe.

Photokirk posted:

A novel about Minoru Kurita's path to the Nova Cats would be interesting.

A Clan Invasion-era novel about Nova Cats would certainly make a lot of the diehard kitty fans happy, since that's the pinnacle of Nova Cat achievement I guess. I just want some more Spirit Cat stuff with Nova Cat survivors tacked on. Maybe the novel juxtaposes between the Spirit Cats rebuilding on Marik while the Nova Cats tear themselves apart in the Draconis Combine.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Rorahusky posted:

I get the distinct feeling that a good number of these people shrieking about reinstating Pardoe are just right wing culture warriors who jump into every debate screaming about cancel culture, and don't actually buy from CGL.

Hey now, they bought some battletech stuff like 20 years ago and that means it belongs to them!

Arquinsiel posted:

BattleTech always had a kind of worryingly right-leaning fanbase. It's one of the reasons I very rarely posted on the official forums, since thinly veiled poo poo was let fly for a very long time. If anything Pardoe getting the boot just coincided with a pile of culture war poo poo and someone doing the maths.

They actually recently, on the subreddit managed to throw up some rules disallowing the whole "I loving hate (ethnic group renamed to battletech faction)" posting so thats nice.

BattleMaster posted:

The issue with the whole money thing is that generally whether they are woke or not it doesn't matter, they're a miniatures company putting out quality product in a genre that isn't overcrowded like fantasy is. Minis are really, really loving popular, and CGL is making a lot of smart choices with their stuff lately. Alpha Strike Boxed set coming with terrain for buildings and forests makes it feel like more of a game and people are looking at it a bit more seriously. Mercenaries is bringing in tanks and vtols and more mechs. Like I guess DZC is a direct competitor but I can't find anything from them but every FLGS has at least a little bit of battletech stuff now, and it seems to be moving since I've seen stores have to shrug and turn away hopeful Battletech Alpha Strike customers away because the box sets are backordered to hell. It's a good game with good minis and you don't need to be a master to have a good color scheme AND there's a simpler game if you don't like it AND it has one of the best turn based mech video games in existence (with mods) AND there's new mechwarrior games coming...honest to god, I'm pretty sure they could just make it Canon in the lore that Donald trump was a universally known and hated person and put it front and center in one of their lorebooks(and have a character say it in a novel, in the clunkiest way possible, literally have a Clanner be like "My god, this man is such a poor mechwarrior you'd think that 21st century American President Donald Trump was piloting it, yes, even he, in a setting with (list of battletech megahitlers), he is the worst person to ever exist!" and while some people would howl over that, it wouldn't make a dent, because a lot of good poo poo is flowing out of CGL right now.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Ok, so I gotta set someone right about why they can't use the Sharpshooter SPA with Arrow IV homing missiles. I intend to chapter and verse them into the ground, so any help you folks can offer is much appreciated.

Artillery is considered indirect at more than 17 hexes, which we will come back to. The use case they're claiming is under 17 hexes, so direct-fire artillery rules should apply (TacOps 185). Direct fire artillery attacks are made during the weapon attack phase (TacOps 185). The attacker must have LoS, and the attack has no time in flight. There is a minimum range of six hexes, under which the attack cannot be made, unless the unit was hidden and using HE rounds, which is not the case here (TacOps 185). Fine.

Sharpshooter SPA (from the Piers Ballantine Catapult pilot card, which is being used): If remaining stationary and not making physical attacks, may fire one weapon only in an Aimed Shot. Successful attack grants extra potential critical hit, even if armor remains in the location. I assume here that the Sharpshooter SPA is intended to allow an aimed shot even if the unit is not shut down or with an unconscious pilot. Fine.

Aimed shots: Aimed shots are found in the 'weapon attacks' section, which contains rules for attacks in the weapon attack phase (TW 103). It is a specialized attack, with its own to-hit modifiers. After determining the to-hit number by factoring skill, distance, concealment, or movement, the player then rolls 2d6 to see if the attack hits the target. If the result is equal to or greater than the modified to-hit number, the attack hits. Players may make aimed shots against units that are shut down or whose warrior is unconscious, using any weapons other than missile launchers and LB-X autocannon firing cluster munitions (TW 110). Putting aside that the Arrow IV Homing Missile is explicitly named a missile, fired from an explicitly named Arrow IV artillery missile launcher, launching, it does not have the 'M' tag for missiles and is tagged with AE, S, F. Fine.

TAG in this case is provided by a different unit and does not have the Sharpshooter SPA. TAG occurs between movement and weapon attack phase (TW 142). Even if the TAGging unit had the Sharpshooter SPA, it is not a weapon being fired.

Arrow IV missiles do not make their own to-hit roll. The missile may only attack units that have been TAGged in the turn of the missile's arrival. When attacking a successfully designated target, the player controlling the missile launcher must roll 2d6. The missile hits on a 4+ with its full rated damage. This is treated as a hit from a direct-fire ballistic weapon, resolved against the unit's facing relative to the TAG unit designating. Failure on the roll (3 or less) results in the missile hitting the target's hex, not a miss (TacOps 354).

I think this is the rules-lawyer crux. The Arrow IV missile does not make a to-hit roll. The roll is not an attack roll. It is similar to rolling to avoid shut-down or MASC failure.

I know this is a ridiculous and stupid question, but I wish to put paid to this dispute.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That sounds right. I think they could clarify it a bit and say something like it can only be used with weapons that, under normal circumstances, are eligible to be fired as an aimed shot at immobile targets.

Homing artillery can't be fired as an aimed shot at immobile targets, so no amount of special abilities should be able to allow it to be aimed at any target.

edit: The wording for Aimed Shots in TW doesn't exclude artillery, but that's because artillery doesn't exist in TW. There is nothing in the artillery rules or procedures in TacOps that state that homing artillery can be aimed, so it can't be. The only rules for using it exist in the procedures laid out and they do not mention aimed shots in any way. You can fire them in the ways stated in TacOps... and that's it.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 31, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Man, I am way too grognardy, just wrote like a 1000 word Reddit post about how the Third Star League might not be a major rear end pull, and how all the moves being made currently could be part of a giant plan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/10po6os/looking_at_ilclan_star_league3250_from_a/

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nah, it would still be dumb, because these fox "favors" wouldn't be reflected in meaningful gains. Albert Marik actually handed over Andurien to the Capellans, can the Foxes restore the FWL-LC border to status quo antebellum? Because that's what it would take. The foxes have become the writers' deus ex machina and it's gotten really loving old.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SirFozzie posted:

Man, I am way too grognardy, just wrote like a 1000 word Reddit post about how the Third Star League might not be a major rear end pull, and how all the moves being made currently could be part of a giant plan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/10po6os/looking_at_ilclan_star_league3250_from_a/
I've been joking about the ilClan vs Everyone Else in the battle to declare the winners "the Third Star League" with friends for a while now.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

Nah, it would still be dumb, because these fox "favors" wouldn't be reflected in meaningful gains. Albert Marik actually handed over Andurien to the Capellans, can the Foxes restore the FWL-LC border to status quo antebellum? Because that's what it would take. The foxes have become the writers' deus ex machina and it's gotten really loving old.

Aside from helping Julian Davion get back to Davion space and figuring out a way (supposedly) to fix the HPG grid (Which the scorpions actually figured out), what have they done recently that is Deus Ex Machina?

Their plot to stop the Marik Invasion of the Wolf Empire failed, with potentially disastrous consequences for the Clan Protectorate.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Got a horrible thought sticking in my head and that is Stefan Amaris with a trump toupee.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Got a horrible thought sticking in my head and that is Stefan Amaris with a trump toupee.

The hair doesn’t stop taking new hosts, it just moves between them as they die. The brainworms that are along for the ride don’t change, though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Aside from helping Julian Davion get back to Davion space and figuring out a way (supposedly) to fix the HPG grid (Which the scorpions actually figured out), what have they done recently that is Deus Ex Machina?

Their plot to stop the Marik Invasion of the Wolf Empire failed, with potentially disastrous consequences for the Clan Protectorate.

They are used whenever someone just needs to be able to have a bunch of stuff materialize out of thin air.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Icon Of Sin posted:

The hair doesn’t stop taking new hosts, it just moves between them as they die. The brainworms that are along for the ride don’t change, though.

Simpsons did it

Der Waffle Mous posted:

the space twitter shitposting on the hpg network must be out of this world

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

They are used whenever someone just needs to be able to have a bunch of stuff materialize out of thin air.

Ah, so their convenient merchants of death facet, yeah, I agree that can be an issue. I haven't seen any factions 100% turn a situation around using the equipment though, unless I'm missing something.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

i don't read all the lore, where is it that the scorpions figured out fixing the hpgs?

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Semi-cross-posting from the mini-painting thread; but I got re-interested in battletech and the concept of painting miniatures since my first try with some plastech models when I was like....10.

Cyclops in rando merc theme.

nearly finished Hellbringer done up in Jade Falcon Iota Galaxy colors:

I liked how these turned out; a Longbow, Trebuchet, Axman- A little forested mountain trio, lazing about protecting their little planetary charge; the Blackjack has been stripped twice and I have no idea what to paint it as. Also trying to paint a nightstar to match the cyclops.

I've quickly amassed a little army and THERE'S TOO MUCH TO CHOOSE

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Richter Scabies posted:

Semi-cross-posting from the mini-painting thread; but I got re-interested in battletech and the concept of painting miniatures since my first try with some plastech models when I was like....10.

Cyclops in rando merc theme.

nearly finished Hellbringer done up in Jade Falcon Iota Galaxy colors:

I liked how these turned out; a Longbow, Trebuchet, Axman- A little forested mountain trio, lazing about protecting their little planetary charge; the Blackjack has been stripped twice and I have no idea what to paint it as. Also trying to paint a nightstar to match the cyclops.

I've quickly amassed a little army and THERE'S TOO MUCH TO CHOOSE

this is an issue im having...i got too many mechs

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

CalvinandHobbes posted:

i don't read all the lore, where is it that the scorpions figured out fixing the hpgs?

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/sl71dn/scorpion_empire_and_functional_hpg_stations_in/

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

LeschNyhan posted:

Ok, so I gotta set someone right about why they can't use the Sharpshooter SPA with Arrow IV homing missiles. I intend to chapter and verse them into the ground, so any help you folks can offer is much appreciated.

[...]

I know this is a ridiculous and stupid question, but I wish to put paid to this dispute.

I was able to convince the person enough that they sought advice from Catalyst. The answer is even simpler than what I posted; anything called a missile is outright excluded from aimed attacks, even when they're not tagged with M (Arrow IVs are tagged as AE). I still think my analysis is sound on a more fundamental level separating artillery from general weapons rules.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

LeschNyhan posted:

I was able to convince the person enough that they sought advice from Catalyst. The answer is even simpler than what I posted; anything called a missile is outright excluded from aimed attacks, even when they're not tagged with M (Arrow IVs are tagged as AE). I still think my analysis is sound on a more fundamental level separating artillery from general weapons rules.

BMM p. 30: "The following weapon types cannot make an aimed shot: Area-Effect, Cluster, or Flak"

TO:AR p. 147: "Artillery attacks are area-effect weapons, and so all rules that apply to such weapons also apply to artillery attacks."

It's in the books, albeit scattered, so you're good regardless.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Inspired by a weird dream of a rugby-style, Battlemech scrum, and the ahem, impact of it, it inspired an idea for a semi-Battletech/RPG "Star League Martial Olympiad" event

The Scouting-Mech Triathlon:

Obviously, best mechs for these are light Scout Mechs and good pilots) Just before each Mech Starts, they are given a target roughly 100 kilometers away by ground.

Leg 1: The Competitor must navigate from the starting point to the target. They are allowed a general topography map of the area, but cannot connect to satellites or update the map from any other sources during the event. (This simulates solo-scouting on an enemy-controlled planet)

Leg 2: When the MechWarrior reaches the target point, they have to climb down from the Mech Cockpit, run a couple kilometers to an "enemy" base, and using a personal firearm(airpistol), hit a number of targets. To discourage "spray and pray", they only have one shot for each target, and each missed target incurs a penalty lap of extra running.

Leg 3: They must run back to their Mech, and are given a navigational route to follow home. At three spots in the route, they will need to fire Mech Weapons at medium range at targets. Instead of having to do extra laps for missed targets here, they have to do a cold shut down of their mech for a length of time for each miss. Once the Mech navigates home, their time is recorded.

Staggered start obviously, so each pilot has to figure the best route to a target on the fly (having been given the target locations shortly before they begin.

It's kinda a real life triathlon, combined with the shooting/penalty system with Biathlon and what a Scout-Pilot would have to do to reconnoiter an enemy listening post, disrupt it on foot, and then escape, defeating any pursuit sent against them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I love the spirit but I have to ask why step 2 would not be more effectively achieved from inside the mech. I guess if you're on foot you're more...stealthy?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
To simulate getting past listening posts or triggering sensors, (edit: Or infiltrating, say a small city) yeah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A simple mech biathlon sounds like it could be good fun too. I might steal the idea.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

That sort of reads like a mission from the third Mech Assault game, on the DS. Didn't that game have you get out of your mech all the time?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

General Battuta posted:

I love the spirit but I have to ask why step 2 would not be more effectively achieved from inside the mech. I guess if you're on foot you're more...stealthy?

It's a stylized recreation of Gunslinger Program training, where elite SLDF Mechwarriors were taught to be Full Spectrum threats, the best of the best. As honed, conditioned, and deadly in the cockpit of a battlemech as they are on foot. In that spirit, the best of the best of the great houses gather to compete in the pageantry of an olympiad.

or something.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think it would be important to have on foot aerobics so you could be eighties hot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I think it would be important to have on foot aerobics so you could be eighties hot.

IDK judging from 80s source book art the median battletech person is a Midwest 6/ coastal 3.

except for stupid sexy amaris

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

SirFozzie posted:

Inspired by a weird dream of a rugby-style, Battlemech scrum, and the ahem, impact of it, it inspired an idea for a semi-Battletech/RPG "Star League Martial Olympiad" event

The Scouting-Mech Triathlon

How do you play it as a game though? It sounds like a very good solo game you can compare to other players.

And boast about your time or complain that your mech was inappropriate for the course (such as needing jump jets a lot and you brought a Locust).

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Easy, if you're doing it in an appropriate time frame, have them attend a Star League Martial Olympiad (or Nosiel games, trying to raise the merc company's reputation, if not during Star League era). All the politicking, getting into trouble (while being told not to), trying to get that star MechWarrior to defect, etcetera)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a resource to compare what different weapons do in Mechwarrior 5?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Owlbear Camus posted:

IDK judging from 80s source book art the median battletech person is a Midwest 6/ coastal 3.

except for stupid sexy amaris

So are the BattleMechs, tbh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This is the news 11 traffic VTOL with a update for your commute. Northbound Cameron Highway is backed up several kilometers due to a King Crab battlemech on the overpass.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Do you think that there are certain mechs which all mechs are identified as in popular media? The way all jets are 'Migs' and all armored vehicles are 'BMPs' and all tanks are 'T-72' (there are probably better examples of this sorry)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah there's probably dudes in universe who prompts a screeching fit in Mechfectionados by calling any mech with gun arms and no lower/hand actuators a Rifleman or a Blackjack, any light-medium chicken walker a Locust, etc.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 2, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'd also be curious what the most common mechs were. Locust right?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Marx Headroom posted:

I'd also be curious what the most common mechs were. Locust right?

The bug trio by a long shot; of those three I think the Wasp is mentioned as the most common.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I don't know where I saw it, but supposedly there are/were more locusts than all assault classes combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pretty sure it goes Wasp, then Stinger, then Locust. The two most common mediums seem to be the Phoenix Hawk and the Griffin. Archers and Stalkers are the most common Heavy and Assault (we actually have definitive statements there).