Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It probably doesn't make a huge difference how you do it. My min-max approach is to maximize contributions into the HSA and not withdraw anything from it (leaving it to grow tax free as investments). I just pay all my expenses with a rewards credit card. Tracking unreimbursed expenses opens up the possibility to withdraw those funds if necessary later tax free.

Going all or nothing like this actually makes it quite a bit easier to track expenses. My healthcare insurance website handily tracks my yearly out of pocket amounts spent for prescriptions and healthcare, and since I haven't reimbursed any of those expenses I can just take that whole report as a "receipt" for the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If you scan the receipts as you get them and drop them in a google drive it's probably safe for 20 years.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

hobbez posted:

“wow! No more medical bills and I have ALL THIS MONEYYYY”

I will maintain perfect health until my 72nd birthday, at which time I will cash out all my accounts, put the money in a duffel, and walk into the ocean

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Don’t base your plans on this, but I personally know of at least 5 people where Medicare Part B + FEHB BC/BS Basic = zero out of pocket costs for anything.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Yeah if I do 20 years I get some amount of pension and my employer's health insurance for life so between that and Medicare I hope I'm in that boat as well when the time comes

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Does anyone have experience with a Limited Purpose FSA? Seems like it'd be pretty ideal to have in conjunction with a HSA.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

literally this big posted:

Does anyone have experience with a Limited Purpose FSA? Seems like it'd be pretty ideal to have in conjunction with a HSA.

I do. Make absolutely sure you will spend that money, otherwise you will lose it. My wife was planning to get a dental procedure done and then we got pregnant so she had to postpone it. We had to scramble to find ways to spend the money, in the end using it on expensive prescription sunglasses just so we wouldn’t lose it. Also, they are incentivized to deny your receipts, so it can be a back and forth with the medical provider to get them to provide more detailed receipts until it’s finally approved. What works best is to submit your insurance’s EOB’s as a receipt.

We got dependent care FSA to pay for daycare last year and in the end we didn’t use $90 of it so that’s going down the drain. Yes the tax savings still make it a win, but it’s frustrating to watch your money burn.

FSA rules are dumb and hostile. Why can’t they just reimburse you that money as taxable income if you didn’t use it? This country will come up with the most stupid bureaucratic games rather than fix healthcare.

https://money.com/fsa-contributions-workers-forfeit-money/

In the end it’s the employer who keeps your money if you don’t use it. What a nice grift.

Animal fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 30, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Epitope posted:

I will maintain perfect health until my 72nd birthday, at which time I will cash out all my accounts, put the money in a duffel, and walk into the ocean
okay Zeke Emanuel

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Animal posted:

I do. Make absolutely sure you will spend that money, otherwise you will lose it. My wife was planning to get a dental procedure done and then we got pregnant so she had to postpone it. We had to scramble to find ways to spend the money, in the end using it on expensive prescription sunglasses just so we wouldn’t lose it. Also, they are incentivized to deny your receipts, so it can be a back and forth with the medical provider to get them to provide more detailed receipts until it’s finally approved. What works best is to submit your insurance’s EOB’s as a receipt.

We got dependent care FSA to pay for daycare last year and in the end we didn’t use $90 of it so that’s going down the drain. Yes the tax savings still make it a win, but it’s frustrating to watch your money burn.

FSA rules are dumb and hostile. Why can’t they just reimburse you that money as taxable income if you didn’t use it? This country will come up with the most stupid bureaucratic games rather than fix healthcare.

https://money.com/fsa-contributions-workers-forfeit-money/

In the end it’s the employer who keeps your money if you don’t use it. What a nice grift.

It looks like up to $550 can get rolled over at the end of each year, at least in some plans. That's a decent amount to have for dental bills each year.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It looks like up to $550 can get rolled over at the end of each year, at least in some plans. That's a decent amount to have for dental bills each year.

That's up to your employer to offer, and most don't.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

If you change plans next year it can also disappear.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're using one this year.

The kids and I are on a standard PPO style plan (technically a PCA plan), and my wife has separate health insurance under a HSA plan. My oldest is going to get braces this year, so I loaded up my FSA to the max and had her put in about 1200 into a limited purpose FSA under her name. All the kids dental and vision expenses, plus my wife's dental and vision expenses will use her LPFSA funds first, then I'll use my FSA funds for the rest. I also have an HRA I can dip into as well.

It's possible my oldest doesn't get braces this year, in that case my employer allows rolling over 570... and we'll have to blow some money on fancy prescription sunglasses or something, but that's a risk I took. I generally hit my 1500 deductible each year, so I don't think we'll lose any funds in a worst case scenario.

My employer offers a Health Reimbursement Account they fund with a bunch of money as well that rolls over indefinitely and hopefully I don't have to touch that money this year. So we have 4 buckets of healthcare money

Wife LPFSA - $1200 All dental and vision expenses come out of this bucket first. Can rollover 570 if necessary
Wife HSA - wife's medical expenses
My FSA $2850 - Kids and my health expenses. Can rollover 570 if necessary
My PCA/HRA account - company funded - additional healthcare funds for myself and the kids if necessary.

The LPFSA works out if you know you're going to have a fair amount of vision and dental expenses. We're only using it this year because of braces, we generally haven't bothered before. The orthodontist gives a discount for paying in full up front and the tax savings made it something I couldn't pass up this year. I generally don't load my FSA either and use the HRA funds the company provides us. The HRA funds never expire, but if I change plans or leave the company they disappear.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

skipdogg posted:

We're using one this year.

The kids and I are on a standard PPO style plan (technically a PCA plan), and my wife has separate health insurance under a HSA plan. My oldest is going to get braces this year, so I loaded up my FSA to the max and had her put in about 1200 into a limited purpose FSA under her name. All the kids dental and vision expenses, plus my wife's dental and vision expenses will use her LPFSA funds first, then I'll use my FSA funds for the rest. I also have an HRA I can dip into as well.

It's possible my oldest doesn't get braces this year, in that case my employer allows rolling over 570... and we'll have to blow some money on fancy prescription sunglasses or something, but that's a risk I took. I generally hit my 1500 deductible each year, so I don't think we'll lose any funds in a worst case scenario.

My employer offers a Health Reimbursement Account they fund with a bunch of money as well that rolls over indefinitely and hopefully I don't have to touch that money this year. So we have 4 buckets of healthcare money

Wife LPFSA - $1200 All dental and vision expenses come out of this bucket first. Can rollover 570 if necessary
Wife HSA - wife's medical expenses
My FSA $2850 - Kids and my health expenses. Can rollover 570 if necessary
My PCA/HRA account - company funded - additional healthcare funds for myself and the kids if necessary.

The LPFSA works out if you know you're going to have a fair amount of vision and dental expenses. We're only using it this year because of braces, we generally haven't bothered before. The orthodontist gives a discount for paying in full up front and the tax savings made it something I couldn't pass up this year. I generally don't load my FSA either and use the HRA funds the company provides us. The HRA funds never expire, but if I change plans or leave the company they disappear.

I wonder how this post reads to someone from Sweden

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I maxed my FSA last year since my wife's therapist raised her prices and would easily use it all. She stopped going a month later. Still have about half of it remaining that needs to be used in two months or it's gone.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Animal posted:

I wonder how this post reads to someone from Sweden

hosed up

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I didn't think it was possible for one spouse to have an HSA and another a general FSA

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Subvisual Haze posted:

I didn't think it was possible for one spouse to have an HSA and another a general FSA

Well I might be hosed then. I ran it through our benefit department (we both work at the same company) and the dude on the phone said it was cool.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
529's just got cool. Starting next year, you can roll up to $35,000 from your kids 529 into their Roth IRA. 529's used to suck because you kinda screwed yourself if you over-contributed to it, but now it's an option to drat near fund your kids entire retirement on the cheap through one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisc...ss-millionaire/

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Well I might be hosed then. I ran it through our benefit department (we both work at the same company) and the dude on the phone said it was cool.

https://blog.bernieportal.com/can-i-contribute-to-hsa-if-spouse-has-fsa

quote:

If your spouse is currently enrolled in a general-purpose FSA plan, then you are not considered eligible for an HSA alongside it. The reasoning behind this is that both the FSA and the HSA will reimburse expenses prior to the deductible being met. Expenses would be covered under both plans, and as such disqualify one another. This is true even if the employee does not qualify as a dependent on their spouse's plan.

However, If the spouse is enrolled in a post-deductible plan or a limited-purpose plan, then as mentioned previously, they will still be considered eligible for an HSA. This means even if you are not considered a dependent, you will still be eligible for an HSA plan alongside your spouse's FSA.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

acidx posted:

529's just got cool. Starting next year, you can roll up to $35,000 from your kids 529 into their Roth IRA. 529's used to suck because you kinda screwed yourself if you over-contributed to it, but now it's an option to drat near fund your kids entire retirement on the cheap through one.

Whoa -- there must be some kind of catch? Big boon on a 529 vs. a UTMA AFAIK (was reading up on these over the holidays -- don't have kids yet but noodling on other places to park cash...)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

acidx posted:

My wife and I are pumped for this because we've been trying to figure out what's an appropriate amount to sock away our four-year-old's higher education which we're sure will be blindingly expensive, assuming she actually goes for higher education, but also not wanting to tie up a bunch of money that can never be used. It's a relief to know that worst case we can just pre-fund bab's retirement (tho lol who are we kidding there won't be retirement by the time she's of that age because there will likely not be a functioning society but hey what are you going to do?)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

acidx posted:

Some people are talking about opening 529s for themselves as well, and rolling that money into a Roth in 15 years.

There’s apparently no income limit for the rollover to Roth, so for those above the Roth income limit it means avoiding the Pro Rata rule for the backdoor Roth IRA approach.

The rollover amounts are capped at and contribute towards normal IRA contribution limits, so no double dipping on amounts, and it would take a few years to roll all 35k over.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is it possible to roll over $35k each from the 529 to me, my wife, and my kid's Roth?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ruggan posted:

Some people are talking about opening 529s for themselves as well, and rolling that money into a Roth in 15 years.

Ridiculous all the hoops people will jump through to save on taxes. They really need to just get rid of all employer plans, increase the max on personal IRAs to $50k/year or something, and just let employers contribute to directly to them.

Do any sane countries do it this way?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

How do you get an IRA for your kid in the first place if they don't have a job? My 18 month old doesn't have a lot of earned income at the moment?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

drk posted:

Ridiculous all the hoops people will jump through to save on taxes. They really need to just get rid of all employer plans, increase the max on personal IRAs to $50k/year or something, and just let employers contribute to directly to them.

No, we need to restructure the economy. People who can't afford to put away 50k a year in their IRA also deserve to retire someday.

No.

It's kind of clever though, 90% of the tax code already is ways for people with wealth (i.e. who earn most of their income passively) to avoid paying taxes. Now there's increasingly ways for the people between 99%-90% of the income/wealth to avoid taxes.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Mons Hubris posted:

How do you get an IRA for your kid in the first place if they don't have a job? My 18 month old doesn't have a lot of earned income at the moment?

Hire your kid as a model and use their picture on the cover of a book you write, etc.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Residency Evil posted:

Is it possible to roll over $35k each from the 529 to me, my wife, and my kid's Roth?

That’s what it sounds like. Need separate accounts because they need to have existed without beneficiary changes for 15 years, and the money must have been in the account for 5 years (which means some recently earned interest will not be retrievable). But yes, I think you could sock away some cash and roll it into your own IRA in 15 years. I’m not a financial advisor though.

Also most states let you deduct contributions from income for the purpose of state taxes. So you can benefit from that as well. I think my state allows a deduction of 3500ish per beneficiary?

drk posted:

Probably not.

Mons Hubris posted:

You don’t, but when the requirements are met you can roll the 529 into an IRA. That means some of the tax advantaged growth can start now rather than needing to wait until they have their first job. You can save now with no need for child income and later convert that money over.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

Open a high yield savings account for them? The interest would count as income I believe.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I'll bet that rollover amount limits are still tied to income as well. Like how the IRA contribution limit is $6500 but if you only make $3,000 that year than you can only contribute $3,000. If the kid isn't making income you probably can't do the rollover yet.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I'm pretty sure an IRA requires earned income and interest doesn't count.

It seems like regulations are still to come, but based on what I'm seeing the 529 rollover doesn't seem a particularly useful as a "loophole". It's sounds great if you accidentally have 529 money left over and now have a place to put it, but locking away $10k for 15 years until it grows to $35k, and risk having to pay taxes and penalty on whatever excess, and having it take the place of a backdoor Roth, etc. seems like a lot of hassle for a limited benefit.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

acidx posted:

I'll bet that rollover amount limits are still tied to income as well. Like how the IRA contribution limit is $6500 but if you only make $3,000 that year than you can only contribute $3,000. If the kid isn't making income you probably can't do the rollover yet.

I think they are, yes. But it’s a way to fund their IRA and allow them to use that money in some other way once they have earned income. Also it lets you start getting the tax benefit on growth now, as opposed to needing to wait.

Same with creating an account for yourself - you can stuff extra money in there today if you have the financial means to do so, allowing it to grow tax-free for the next 15 years. When it is old enough, move it over and use the money you would have used to fund your IRA for something else. And once you’ve capped the 35k out, if there is leftover money, change the beneficiary to your kids or grandkids and spend the leftover on education (or start the clock to repeat this strat for the grandkids’ IRA).

Plus, layer on the state tax breaks of contributing to your state’s 529. That’s worth something now.

The biggest risk of all of this IMO is that there’s no guarantee that our batshit tax law in this batshit country won’t change regarding this strategy over the next 15 years.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Retirement planning relying on the continued existence of a bunch of weird loopholes is amazing.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Coming up with some hand-wavy modeling job or something you can pay your child for through a shell company seems easier than dealing with waiting 15 years to do a roll-over.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ruggan posted:

There’s apparently no income limit for the rollover to Roth, so for those above the Roth income limit it means avoiding the Pro Rata rule for the backdoor Roth IRA approach.

The rollover amounts are capped at and contribute towards normal IRA contribution limits, so no double dipping on amounts, and it would take a few years to roll all 35k over.

This seems like a bad idea, premised on the notion that 529s will not change in the next 15 years to make this impossible.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

i might be getting a significant amount of cash over the next few years, depending on life goes. Somewhere between 1-2 mil in the near term, and possibly some more at some unknown point in the future.

(parents are in a bitter divorce battle and slowly liquidating assets/company that they share ownership in, mom has late stage cancer. I'm handling mom's money and she intends to slowly transfer over her share with the intention of having me inherit all when she passes)

I'm, 31, single and have no children. I quit my job and left the US to take care of family affairs, but I do have a green card and intend to return to get citizenship in the future. I don't think I will go back into a 9 to 5 grind again if I can avoid it. This doesn't mean I won't work at all but I want to take more risks and try different things while I'm still not too old to do so. I had pretty much no life in my 20s :negative: and recent family ordeals taught me that I was playing it a bit too safe.

That means I might need to live off my stash for a while, and I'm looking for options on how to go about doing this. While working in a high cost city like Seattle I was able to live an okay life at around 3.5k, with around 2k going to rent, so that's about my overall monthly spending goal. Anything more than that would be a luxury and I would probably just chuck it back in if I don't spend it. I probably won't be living in such a high cost area so my needs might be a bit lower than that ofc.

What can I do? I guess I can just throw everything into VTI and sell/withdraw a certain amount each month. Or try a dividend fund and live off of the dividends which sounds a bit safer since the main capital isn't getting smaller in time. Or maybe a mix of both? I was even thinking about putting it all on JEPI since even when markets were surging in the first half of 2021 it yielded 6% which would cover my needs, and it still captures some of the market growth? Maybe TBills since they are pretty much risk free? A bit of all? I've no idea honestly.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

ROJO posted:

Coming up with some hand-wavy modeling job or something you can pay your child for through a shell company seems easier than dealing with waiting 15 years to do a roll-over.

Yeah these are just middle class optimizing strategies. People with real money are setting up LLCs consisting of themselves in Puerto Rico or whatever.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The 529 into Roth rollover is just to help people with older kids now that didn't use all the savings, as well as slightly changing the calculus regarding whether to use a 529 at all. I would not advise using this as an investment strategy - the timeline is way too long and the payoff is really small. There's way better methods of savings for your children's retirement.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Basically just means that overshooting on your kid's 529 isn't that big of a deal now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

Yeah seems like it. If you have the space to min-max this from a retirement perspective for your children you already have the resources to do it better.