Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

One way to kill all those feral hogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It looks like someone tried to convert an air traffic control tower into a house and added on a garage.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

If you got enough snow you could have a sweet ramp off that roof. Alternatively, you can practice reenacting the Austin Tower shooting.

When we were teenagers my brother and I built a snow pile transition ramp up to the bottom edge of the garage roof and boarded down the roof into the backyard that we made a bunch of different jumps and rails you could it, it owned

Dad of course was not pleased when he found out we were snowboarding on the shingles

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm not at all opposed to an observation tower attached the house, and to be honest I think it's an awesome idea.

But making it a prison guard tower is the dumbest possible way to do it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

I laughed very hard at that mustache

e:

lmao

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1620209468150784000

Intruder fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 31, 2023

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

GD_American posted:

I'm not at all opposed to an observation tower attached the house, and to be honest I think it's an awesome idea.

But making it a prison guard tower is the dumbest possible way to do it.

Yeah I think it’s a cool house frankly

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well thank god that’s over with.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JordanOnRecord/status/1620139754552721408

Hatchet Speed

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

I laughed for a solid 5 minutes. Thank you

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Big McLargeHuge still out on bail

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Are there people out there who don’t paint the figures or play the war hammer 40k board games but are really into the novels? Or is that odd

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

Are there people out there who don’t paint the figures or play the war hammer 40k board games but are really into the novels? Or is that odd

Me. I sucked at painting (poor motor control), sucked at playing, and eventually, and I'm sorry that this is so stereotypical, started dating and getting laid, and lost my tolerance for hanging with other nerds.

I still follow Battletech (which has undergone a very very miniatures-led renaissance) and 40K storyline stuff, because I invested a huge amount of time in the genre fiction for those two IPs as a teenager.

There are folks out there that are actually the exact opposite, who love painting the minis but genuinely don't care much for the fiction.

edit- although at this point it's more "reads the wikis" than reads the novels

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've read a fair few of the books just because I read shitloads and some of the books are cool. I play the video games still. I don't paint miniatures or play tabletop though.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
The cabin we rented for our fantasy football draft one weekend had a tower like that place. We made the guy who got last place sleep in it. He loved it except that it would get bright at dawn and hot after a couple hours.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Okay cool. I want a new deeply grim and adult sci-fi world of books to get into and that seems good. Gonna start with the Horus books.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pron on VHS posted:

The majority of people that I know of who engage with WH40k do so through all of the stuff that isn't miniatures. Admittedly it's a small sample size on my end but I've heard mostly positive things about the books and games based on that source material.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

Okay cool. I want a new deeply grim and adult sci-fi world of books to get into and that seems good. Gonna start with the Horus books.

As far as quality, Dan Abnett's stuff is considered the top tier. His Gaunt's Ghosts series is essentially Sharp's Rifles in 40K.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I have not read them (nor any 40k books) but I understand they are very very too long, like there's what a dozen+ horus heresy books. Goons over in TG always recommend the gaunts ghosts stuff so take GD's advice.

Also if you just want to have fun laughing at the 40k art (and skeletons and opossums and scrunts), the CCCC 40k thread is the cool thread. Don't bother reading the whole thing just jump in.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Ciaphas Cain books are well-written and have a solid core of humor in them (think Commissar Black Adder), as well. I forgot the author (googled- Sandy Mitchell).

Also, the Night Lords books (Aaron Dembowski-Brown) are a really good change of pace, in that they follow a Chaos Space Marine chapter that has some truly odd practices.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Hell yeah I’ll check those all out and go with that series instead.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

edit- although at this point it's more "reads the wikis" than reads the novels

I am not opposed to reading nerdy stuff like this and I like grimdark and Warhammer made that word into a thing as I understand it, so oddly I don't know how I never read a 40K book.

I quoted the wikis part because looking it up I'm like 'Ok I can start at any of these 187 different novels...' Anyway I might give some of the suggestions a shot after getting through my current real history kick and need a break.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

I swear I've camped in buildings in Warzone that looked similar to this

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Someone at my office is claiming that the Tyre killing was actually planned because he was sleeping with one of their wives.

Google showed me this

https://opoyi.com/usa/was-tyre-nichols-involved-with-memphis-police-officers-wife-rumor-goes-rampant-after-dashcam-video-sparks-protests/

Jesus Christ that was a turn I didn’t expect

I'm calling bullshit without proof. This seems like an attempt to distance the horrific crime from the police department. Like grasping any straw to attempt to claim that policing is not inherently violent and oppressive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pron on VHS posted:

Kierron Gillen did some 40k comics a few years back, they should all be collected in trade paperback by now and he's one of my favorite comic writers.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Honestly if you cut the garages and everything left of the ladder it would be a weird but kinda cool house.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I'm calling bullshit without proof. This seems like an attempt to distance the horrific crime from the police department. Like grasping any straw to attempt to claim that policing is not inherently violent and oppressive.

I'd need to see more than this too but at the same time this being somehow personal seems a little more likely than these guys saying "Well we're cops, gotta do some killin'"

It's a gross abuse of power either way

e: I guess what I'm saying is that instead of jumping to "this is definitely bullshit" it should be more along the lines of it doesn't matter whether or not it's true, it's still a group of police using their state power to murder a guy to settle a personal beef

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 31, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Honestly if you cut the garages and everything left of the ladder it would be a weird but kinda cool house.

That's not a ladder. It's a huge radio mast. Like that thing is somehow a radio station and lookout tower as well as a house. I'm leaning towards it being a national forest service lookout tower, although if it is it's been heavily remodeled. But at least then the radio mast makes some sense.

Alternate explanation: there's a private landing strip/airport behind the camera and that's literally the airport tower.

Neither of these explanations really work though because the tower is shorter than the surrounding trees and that means it doesn't have the visibility it should.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Trying to think of a good “permission to buzz the tower” joke and can’t think of anything.

Also I didn’t play the miniature 40k/fantasy games but had friends in high school/college who did, but what my dorky rear end did do with them was the Warhammer PnP RPG during some summer/winter breaks in college. It’s a whole lot more low fantasy than Dungeons and Dragons, which brings its own charms.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Intruder posted:

I'd need to see more than this too but at the same time this being somehow personal seems a little more likely than these guys saying "Well we're cops, gotta do some killin'"

It's a gross abuse of power either way

e: I guess what I'm saying is that instead of jumping to "this is definitely bullshit" it should be more along the lines of it doesn't matter whether or not it's true, it's still a group of police using their state power to murder a guy to settle a personal beef

You’re right that it shouldn’t matter, but plenty of people are going to use this to resolve the cognitive dissonance they’re experiencing between what they see with their eyes and what years of copaganda have told them. And if it turns out that it’s bullshit, oh well it’s too late because that story is already out there. I’m worried about media at large picking this up without real proof because if they do it’s over and people will move on.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

Not at all odd, my friend.

The weird hosed up setting is the best part.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Not at all odd, my friend.

The weird hosed up setting is the best part.

Last week’s Shutdown Fullcast podcast episode went into great detail about comparing 40K factions to college football teams, and it was pretty wonderful for it.

Anybody with and Xbox or PC and GamePass needs to go download Hi-Fi Rush, a super stylish Devil May Cry/action game with a focus on rhythm. It’s a lot of fun.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I am not opposed to reading nerdy stuff like this and I like grimdark and Warhammer made that word into a thing as I understand it, so oddly I don't know how I never read a 40K book.

I quoted the wikis part because looking it up I'm like 'Ok I can start at any of these 187 different novels...' Anyway I might give some of the suggestions a shot after getting through my current real history kick and need a break.

One thing I will say in support of the 40k books is that you can pretty much start anywhere and get a sense of the setting. Continuity isn't a huge deal, except concerning the specific characters in a narrative series.

harperdc posted:

Last week’s Shutdown Fullcast podcast episode went into great detail about comparing 40K factions to college football teams, and it was pretty wonderful for it.

If you sit right in the Venn overlap of the two very specific types of fandoms, that episode was an amazing treat. Roll drat Tyranids.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

At this point what is the government still even doing under these policies?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Qwijib0 posted:

This means money. PHE was a designation of funds and also some implications for emergency use authorization from the FDA for tests and treatments for COVID.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It means that by December they will have to declare another public health emergency because poo poo will get a lot worse real fast.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

except this time the dumbest people on earth will say it's the vaccine causing it and that only vaccinated people are getting sick

you know, like they've been doing for the past year and a half :v:

Freaquency posted:

You’re right that it shouldn’t matter, but plenty of people are going to use this to resolve the cognitive dissonance they’re experiencing between what they see with their eyes and what years of copaganda have told them. And if it turns out that it’s bullshit, oh well it’s too late because that story is already out there. I’m worried about media at large picking this up without real proof because if they do it’s over and people will move on.

strongly investing in the idea that it's not true gives the talking head shitheads the perfect in if it ends up being true. I'm not saying report it as though it were true, I'm saying just ignore it until there's further evidence and come out immediately with the stance that it doesn't matter if it's true or not instead of insisting it's not and potentially opening up the "oh NOW you say it doesn't matter" argument

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Intruder posted:

strongly investing in the idea that it's not true gives the talking head shitheads the perfect in if it ends up being true. I'm not saying report it as though it were true, I'm saying just ignore it until there's further evidence and come out immediately with the stance that it doesn't matter if it's true or not instead of insisting it's not and potentially opening up the "oh NOW you say it doesn't matter" argument

Oh yeah, you’re right. I think we’re on the same page. If it’s true it should be reported as such but right now it’s just a rumor from some site we’ve never heard of so we probably shouldn’t amplify it, even if it’s just on this dead forgotten forum.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Neil Armbong posted:

This means money. PHE was a designation of funds and also some implications for emergency use authorization from the FDA for tests and treatments for COVID.

cool.

swickles posted:

It means that by December they will have to declare another public health emergency because poo poo will get a lot worse real fast.

cool. cool. cool.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Qwijib0 posted:

There was a last round of free covid tests like a month back.

and yeah, I dunno how to look at the admin's response to covid compared to the Republicans and not look at it how they view like Oil drilling.

Two groups just straight up trying to kill us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I quit my computer repair business 11 years ago because my third child was born and I didn’t want to miss her growing up just to chase a buck. I just received another call eleven years later asking if I still fixed PCs.

I still get these from time to time. Not gonna lie, it’s a small boost to my sense of pride knowing that my name is still being recommended from people when I shut down my business so long ago. Must’ve done something right!