Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

Sure sure, but it's probably like 1% or less of what it is now. You think of all the things that they're responsible for and it's just crazy that all of these situations are responded to by an armed pseudo-military force.

I think probably more like 10% than 1% but it is objectively crazy that the same person is responsible for approving your accident report and shooting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Arivia posted:

yep, but good luck convincing globalism to keep it all here.

Honestly we are remarkably well-equipped to survive climate catastrophe, we are gonna lose a lot of stuff we like but we will still have plenty of okay land to live on and grow food to survive, etc. The problem is that when the US starts getting really bad they're just gonna run us over for water/wood.

Tangentially related but I was at a trade show not too long ago and one of my colleagues there sells into the Newfoundland oil projects.

She explained to me that if you like to eat crab, all the crab Canadians get are imported from over seas. Our product gets exported all over the world and if you want to have the Canadian stuff you gotta literally drive up to a fishery somewhere in the Maritimes and buy it direct from them. This is far from the only example. There's a lot of domestically sourced stuff we never hear about that goes to the export market while we get stuff from Mexico instead. It boggles the mind, but it is a result of globalized capitalism so what can you do.

Likewise any crude we extract in Canada gets shipped to the US and the infrastructure is specifically designed to facilitate this. The US then sells it back to us as gasoline for a gigantic fat payout. We constantly ship our raw materials abroad and buy back the refined goods for extortionate prices and it's an economic issue our governments never really bothered trying to fix.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

We constantly ship our raw materials abroad and buy back the refined goods for extortionate prices and it's an economic issue our governments never really bothered trying to fix.

Because they don't wanna get softwooded again

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What? Maybe if you buy frozen packaged crab, but all of the live crab I have ever seen in the supermarket are Dungeness crab, which are only found on the west coast of North America.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

McGavin posted:

What? Maybe if you buy frozen packaged crab, but all of the live crab I have ever seen in the supermarket are Dungeness crab, which are only found on the west coast of North America.

I don't eat crab so I don't know. But on the East coast you can't have what's caught locally there, that goes to China etc and they import other crab from somewhere else.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like I've shovelled more snow in the past week than in the past 10 years.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's because there aren't any commercially valuable species of crab living on the east coast. :downsgun:

It's all lobster over there.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol remember cod?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DaysBefore posted:

Lol remember cod?

Cod is dead and we have killed it.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

DaysBefore posted:

Lol remember cod?

I lost all interest in the franchise after it peaked with the Canadian campaign in 3

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cod is dead and we're all crabs in a bucket being shipped overseas.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

eXXon posted:

Cod is dead and we're all crabs in a bucket being shipped overseas.

I don't remember this line in that K'Naan track

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

K-os!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

That would explain my misremembering

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like I've shovelled more snow in the past week than in the past 10 years.

Where’s this? Manitoba got rat hosed last year but it’s been pretty tame here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It looks like Air Canada is ditching western Canada, and Westjet is abandoning eastern Canada.

Who wants to bet they completely dump all overlapping routes, and then merge claiming there is no monopoly concern because they don't directly compete with each other like Rogers and Shaw.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I mean I'm not gonna bet against that

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.tiktok.com/@vancouverpoliceofficial/video/7193412491349642502

Just saw this on TikTok. Police helping educate people and keep them safe. They even help the elderly gentleman at the end. They seem pretty swell actually.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 31, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whoever came up with this idea for smarmy, armed crossing guards that don't actually help anyone cross the street and probably earn 3x more is a genius.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Tsyni posted:

Just saw this on TikTok. Police helping educate people and keep them safe. They even help the elderly gentleman at the end. They seem pretty swell actually.

FYI this link used to direct us to your profile "xxxx shared this do you want to follow them?"

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 31, 2023

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Once again I am baffled by traffic and pedestrian regulations in Canada

You mean I'm supposed to stand there at those ones that give you maybe 10 seconds and then count down from 50 if I missed the green?

Even the reason they give to the first guy, with the S Korea patch - that he is holding up traffic and cars are waiting to turn - doesn't hold up to scrutiny. There are clearly other people who are still finishing crossing. Maybe there's more nuance, but that seemed like a great place to stop watching

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Once again I am baffled by traffic and pedestrian regulations in Canada

You mean I'm supposed to stand there at those ones that give you maybe 10 seconds and then count down from 50 if I missed the green?

Even the reason they give to the first guy, with the S Korea patch - that he is holding up traffic and cars are waiting to turn - doesn't hold up to scrutiny. There are clearly other people who are still finishing crossing. Maybe there's more nuance, but that seemed like a great place to stop watching

It's more of an issue when you're darting through an empty crosswalk yes but this rule is not limited to Canada.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Normy posted:

It's more of an issue when you're darting through an empty crosswalk yes but this rule is not limited to Canada.

Then I am baffled by those places too

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ontario sez:

quote:

Pedestrian control signals – don’t walk
(27) No pedestrian approaching pedestrian control signals and facing a solid or flashing “don’t walk” indication shall enter the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (27).

Pedestrian right of way
(28) Every pedestrian who lawfully enters a roadway in order to cross may continue the crossing as quickly as reasonably possible despite a change in the indication he or she is facing and, for purposes of the crossing, has the right of way over vehicles. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (28).

IANAL but I am going to guess that 27) predates the introduction of signals with countdown timers, and also that it does not grant drivers the right to judge whether pedestrians entered the roadway legally.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Normy posted:

FYI this link used to direct us to your profile "xxxx shared this do you want to follow them?"

drat, thanks for fixing it whoever did.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eXXon posted:

Ontario sez:

IANAL but I am going to guess that 27) predates the introduction of signals with countdown timers, and also that it does not grant drivers the right to judge whether pedestrians entered the roadway legally.

Yeah, I feel like there's not really a problem if you intend to be through the intersection by the time the countdown stops. A lot of them have a really, really long countdown because the terrible design of our roads require pedestrians to cross a huge distance frequently, and the countdown accounts for people who are not able to walk quickly.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Vintersorg posted:

Gonna say eastern Ontario and nearby Quebec probably. It's been almost non-stop snow for the last couple weeks here.
I in fact have to go shovel again sometime today before the upcoming -30 freezes everything into ice blocks.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Or, some say, Kosm,

Tsyni posted:

Sometimes you just gotta take a break from murdering minorities and beating your wife to explain to someone how to cross the street

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah Montreal.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Bleck posted:

Sometimes you just gotta take a break from murdering minorities and beating your wife to explain to someone how to cross the street

Hey now. They also spend a lot of their time shooting dogs for sport.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ZShakespeare posted:

Hey now. They also spend a lot of their time shooting dogs for sport.

It's important to have hobbies

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Tsyni posted:

ACAB even when their tiktoks have decent production value.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Toronto: A housing crisis and 12000 airbnb units on 28 day terms

Also, A sober look at safety on the TTC from John Lorinc at Spacing

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 1, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

On that note, the deadline to file a declaration for Toronto's Vacant Home Tax is Thursday. Anyone know if the city is planning to releasing any statistics afterwards? Presuming it will take ... okay definitely months.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

For a lark I picked up the weekend edition of the Toronto Star at a newstand and they had an article about the same woman. She said they'd been renting it for $5000/month so lmfao it got relisted at ten grand! In the article the owner mentioned she was "[moving] back into the property with her own family" so that's a fun little lie too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That is the most common tactic to get rent controlled renters out of a property. You can bring it to the LTB after the fact if you see the unit up for rent after you vacate, but it doesn't do you a lot of good in a direct sense.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
"I would like to live in this property I own" is facially a fairly reasonable proposition, but the people using it to raise rent need to get their pants fined off.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Actually you should not be allowed to make someone homeless because you changed your mind one day

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COPE 27 posted:

Actually you should not be allowed to make someone homeless because you changed your mind one day

So it's ok for the other person to be homeless then? Like what happens if I move out of province/country for work, rent out expecting to be gone 3 years, and then I get laid off? I'm supposed to eat poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:shrug:

You were profiting off ownership of an asset the whole time you were renting it out. Evicting someone because they're now inconvenient isn't really great, regardless of your personal circumstance. If that's an issue, don't rent the property, then you can move back whenever you like.

Renting a property isn't some public service, you're doing it for profit. There are risks.