Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What if all they have to bring is a table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for trying to accommodate my co-workers diet?

quote:

I (27F) have been at my current company for about two years.

I like to cook and bake and my roommate is obsessively a healthy eater so I usually have a lot of leftovers and I always bring them to the office.

About a year ago ‘Denzel’ (29M) was hired.

He and I hit it off right away, and within a few months people were joking that he and I were ‘work husband and wife’, which I thought was super funny and cute.

Denzel is already married and we have great chemistry but nothing has ever happened between us (I wish lol)

At first, Denzel seemed to really like my baked goods, but then I noticed he had stopped eating the snacks I brought.

I asked him why and he said he and his wife were trying a keto diet.

I decided to make some keto snacks so that Denzel could still partake, so I made a batch of Keto muffins the next week.

Denzel didn’t try those either, and when I asked he said he was trying to lose some weight. I said he didn’t look like he needed to, but that I’d try to make some healthy snacks next time so that he could partake in my food without compromising his diet.

He told me I didn’t need to make anything special on his account, but I found a recipe for low calorie keto scones, and I made and brought those in a few days later.

I also forwarded him information regarding fitness and calorie counting apps that he could use as a resource.

Another coworker ‘Megan’ who is friends with Denzel and his wife outside of work took me aside, and said that I needed to stop pushing food on Denzel, that I was making him uncomfortable, and that it made it look like I was interested in him. She threatened to report me to HR if I didn't stop.

I was shocked and I tried to tell Megan that I was just being nice, and trying to accommodate everyone when bringing treats to the office, and Denzel never said anything about being uncomfortable, and reporting me to HR seemed like a huge overreaction on her part.

I’m so confused now, AITA for offering food to coworkers and trying to accommodate Denzel’s diet?

How does someone have either A - so little self-awareness or B - so little care for how others feel? :psyduck:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pomme de Terror posted:

How does someone have either A - so little self-awareness or B - so little care for how others feel? :psyduck:

Dude ate the first muffin offered to him. Said "Mmm, that'd delicious". Like any polite human would do.

Has refused the next several using various polite excuses because He. Does. Not. Want. Any. More. Muffins. But is too nice to explicitly say so.

Crazed Baker will keep trying to accommodate his polite excuses until it inevitably ends up with a rude "Your muffins taste like poo poo, and I don't want one!"

At which time OP will feel hurt, betrayed, and will reply with a sniffly "You could have just said that earlier." Leaving everyone involved feeling bad.

YAY for polite lies!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
(I wish lol)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Today in amazing selfishness:

AITA for not taking in my nephew after my sister's death?

quote:

Me (32M) and my wife (33F) have our daughter (4F). Sadly my sister (35) died from an unexpected illness 4 months ago. She had my nephew (2M) who she was raising alone since the father dipped as soon as he was born. After her death, our mother (70F) was taking care of my nephew, but due to some health issues she has to go into assisted living, and can't take him.

Now here's where we might be TA. We could take my nephew, we did the math and with our jobs it would work with room to spare. The issue is we don't really want to, as terrible as that sounds. My wife and I both work in very competitive careers, and having to take another kid would push back our retirement to our late 50s. Not to mention our daughter might not be able to get whatever her dream school ends up being when she's older.

My mother has gone ballistic, shes threatening to disown me if we don't take him, since he'll go into the system if we don't take him. I'm torn, my wife is in the camp that it isn't our responsibility to take care of any kid we didn't make, but I do love my nephew. Now I'm not sure if not taking him is the best option.
"I do love my nephew" - uh huh.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Foo Diddley posted:

you be as uninteresting as possible, like a grey rock, so that you don't give the rear end in a top hat the reaction that they're looking for

Wow, I bet that works just as great as it does for bullied schoolkids getting told to "just ignore them, don't give them the reaction they're looking for".

Obviously there's no winning with some people and cutting contact is by far the best solution, but it needs to be actually cutting contact, blocking them everywhere, blocking people willing to get involved in their drama and, in extreme cases like this one, being willing to get a restraining order. Not just "try to be less of a target and they'll get bored eventually".

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

FMguru posted:

Buddy, if you think you’re getting to retire at all before the water wars kick off, you got another thing coming.

Raise the child, you might need a strong back to defend your crops.

Jesus what a pair of assholes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That reminds me, did Tails have two buttholes in the new Sonic movie?

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

"Guys, you just don't get it. I really love my nephew, just not enough to postpone my early retirement."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Besides, I hear they can ask for seconds at the workhouse. Doesn’t always work out but that’s life.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for advocating for my guy to his baseball coach when he wouldn’t stick up for himself?

quote:

So basically everyone at my school is telling me that my guy is going to get teased horribly for what I did and that I’m a major A-hole. But I don’t know I kind of think I was sticking up for him and me.

My guy is an amazing baseball player and basically the team wins because of him. He’s going to go to college on a scholarship if he doesn’t just go pro since he’s already being recruited. Like the school is state quarter finalist last year BECause of him.

They have a new coach this year (who is also my history teacher who is a GREAT guy) and last year seniors did not have to clean and rake the field. This year the new coach is making seniors “do their part.” It takes SO long and since I drive my guy home every day we aren’t getting home until almost 6. I have to ride his A anyways to get him to study so he doesn’t mess up his eligibility and this is harder.

On Friday I approached the coach and told him that I didn’t think my guy should have to clean the field anymore since he’s so good of a player and he’s a senior. He said he would take it into consideration. Well I guess at Saturday practice he told the team what happened and everyone was teasing him that I’m treating him like a baby and the coach made him run extra to get the “but out of his rear end” and let him realize they are a team. My guy avoided me all weekend.

Then today ALL of my friends said I was a major rear end in a top hat and I’m not his mommy and need to back off.

AITA

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Get the butt out of his rear end

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for purposefully "misnaming" a coworkers child when talking about them

quote:

I have this insufferable coworker, let's call her Linda. For the sake of peace, despite many disagreements, essentially coming down to our personal values, I've tried to make it work with her, respect her opinion (mostly about MY JOB though...) and be civil. She just won't have it, I really feel she's for some reason trying to bully me out of my place of work.

So I work in a filed where it is common for people to underappreciate my profession even though it is essential to the industry. Basically without giving too much away I'm a pharmacist surrounded by doctors. I face prejudices and assumptions I know nothing about a topic (even though I proved myself by even getting the position and many times after that). I guess I got on some people's nerve by being overtly open about my "expertise"; I'm the only one doing my actual job, so there's no competition really, but I digress...

Linda and her girlfriends though it would be funny to play pranks on me involving inviting me to nonexistent parties and arranging coworker dates where no-one would show up. This has been going on for a couple of months and I find myself thinking the hostile environment of my coworkers is stalling my advancement in the hospital. I guess she thought she would get away with it because couple of months after my arrival, Linda announced her pregnancy and gave birth some time ago.

To the point, she came back to work to chat and catch up two to three weeks ago, and as I was trying to be nice and ask what her child's name was, she apparently thought it would be funny to tell me her child's name was Flatulence. As if I would need a residency and not juts (if even) a search engine to know that means farting. Anyways, I decided to go along with it and asked how was Flatulence advancing and so on and she answered my questions nicely. Needless to say, everyone giggled and I played dumb.

After her first visit back she started coming more often to say hi and I always made sure to ask her how FLATULENCE was doing. She started getting agitated and today lashed out at me to stop calling her child that (in the meantime I heard the real name in conversation). I played dumb and asked what she meant. I think she teared up, not sure, and very shortly after left (not very obviously because of me, but everyone noticed).

Now everyone is giving me sh*t for being petty to a new mom, even though I just think I'm sticking up for myself after what I think was a year of bullying and the time without her around has been a bliss. AITA for sticking to a name she told me?

bouncing baby flatulence

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for advocating for my guy to his baseball coach when he wouldn’t stick up for himself?

The rarely-seen adolescent form of the Karen.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BrigadierSensible posted:

Dude ate the first muffin offered to him. Said "Mmm, that'd delicious". Like any polite human would do.

Has refused the next several using various polite excuses because He. Does. Not. Want. Any. More. Muffins. But is too nice to explicitly say so.

Crazed Baker will keep trying to accommodate his polite excuses until it inevitably ends up with a rude "Your muffins taste like poo poo, and I don't want one!"

At which time OP will feel hurt, betrayed, and will reply with a sniffly "You could have just said that earlier." Leaving everyone involved feeling bad.

YAY for polite lies!

There are so many leftovers because the roommate " "is really health conscious" ".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for living within my wife's means instead of my own?

this man hates his own wife

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pomme de Terror posted:

The dude is learning that social lies are a calculated risk. If the risk had paid off he would have defused the situation gracefully… but sometimes even a fast horse gets a cramp, you know?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

trickybiscuits posted:

I will not have a wedding unless at least one person wears a giant dinosaur costume.

But . . . Don never knew his father

He had two different stepfathers, tho. (both assholes)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Evil Willow posted:

https://youtu.be/v4veYug5pFo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pomme de Terror posted:

I think I had a fairly similar situation, when I worked in a few hundred person office, and this lady was clearly into me despite the fact that I was in a LTR with my now wife. She would bake tins of biscuits for me constantly, hang out at my desk all the time, make a beeline at any kind of social event, make comments about her sexual prowess, "why can't I find a guy like you", that kinda cringe stuff. Even changed her hair when I made some offhand comment to someone that the side-shaved asymmetrical haircut thing looked nice on some female celebrity (tbh it looked nice on her when she did it too tho, it was just kinda hilariously unsubtle).

I felt kinda bad about it, but unlike this guy I did nothing about it because (a) I am conflict averse and don't like upsetting people IRL and (b) the baked goods were absolutely banging (she was German).

Eventually the situation resolved by her moving country and me deleting all social media, but yeah those biscuits were nice.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, maybe it's her writing style but she's also way too into a guy who's married. Personally I understand where work wife/husband comes from but really dislike the term...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Clocks posted:

Yeah, maybe it's her writing style but she's also way too into a guy who's married. Personally I understand where work wife/husband comes from but really dislike the term...

Yeah it's a gross/lame term. At the time I also had what other people would have called a "work wife" in the sense that we were good buds of opposite gender. But even though she had been maybe into me at one point we managed to have a totally chill relationship because she's a cool person who respects boundaries, and she's now probably even better friends with my wife (also cool)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FMguru posted:

This is truly monstrous, fuuuuuuuuck

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think I had a fairly similar situation, when I worked in a few hundred person office, and this lady was clearly into me despite the fact that I was in a LTR with my now wife. She would bake tins of biscuits for me constantly, hang out at my desk all the time, make a beeline at any kind of social event, make comments about her sexual prowess, "why can't I find a guy like you", that kinda cringe stuff. Even changed her hair when I made some offhand comment to someone that the side-shaved asymmetrical haircut thing looked nice on some female celebrity (tbh it looked nice on her when she did it too tho, it was just kinda hilariously unsubtle).

I felt kinda bad about it, but unlike this guy I did nothing about it because (a) I am conflict averse and don't like upsetting people IRL and (b) the baked goods were absolutely banging (she was German).

Eventually the situation resolved by her moving country and me deleting all social media, but yeah those biscuits were nice.

r/relationships: the baked goods were absolutely banging (she was German)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

FMguru posted:

Hypothetical.

Would this guy and his wife be bigger arseholes if they had just said "Nup. Don't want an extra kid coz we are selfish."

Or does his "I really love my nephew but ..." push him into extra dickhead territory?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my friend to stop spoiling his wife?

quote:

Anthony's wife, Camilla, is quite frankly spoiled. She grew up upper middle class and always got everything she wanted. Even though she is an adult, she is still acting like that and my best buddy, Anthony, is allowing it. Just during last year, she got a condo, a tons of decorations and useless stuff, a new iPhone, Apple watch, an expensive bicycle, a purse, like 4 vacations and I don't even know what not. Anthony literally doesn't say no to anything she wants.

The problem is that Camilla is constantly whispering into my wife's ear to get her to follow her path. She is always showing off her new stuff and her pictures of their vacations. Then my wife is coming to me whining as to why we can't go on vacations like that when we make over 1.5x as much as them.

Of course, Camilla is now planning a skiing holiday and another spring vacation. So I thought it was time to sit down with Anthony and talk. I told him he needs to stop spoiling his wife and teach her some self constraint. He said there is nothing wrong with his wife and Camilla deserves to get everything she wishes. She makes much more than him anyway and he is not a controlling rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, so he basically called me a controlling rear end in a top hat and I started to get angry at that point. I said I'm just looking out for our future with my wife and he should do so too with his. They are too old to just blow through money like that and I'm concerned about him.

He said I don't need to be worried, Camilla is actually really good with money and even though they bought their condo just a year ago, they could already pay off their mortgage in total if they wanted to.

I'm not sure I believe him on that one, I know exactly how much money they are making and that's just impossible, it's definitely a lie. But the point is that Antony is now angry at me for talking down on his wife and is demanding an apology.

Should I apologise for looking out for my friend? Shouldn't he apologise for calling me a controlling rear end in a top hat? AITA?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Imagine telling your teenager daughter "don't worry we have plenty of money for the fancy private art college of your dreams, all thanks to sending your cousin into foster care as an infant"

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Evil Willow posted:

what an arse-piece

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

She makes much more than him anyway and he is not a controlling rear end in a top hat.

Lol.

"Spoiled" wife is the one paying for all the nice stuff.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Cloacamazing! posted:

Lol.

"Spoiled" wife is the one paying for all the nice stuff.

I was expecting OP to explain that the wife stays home all day and they can't afford all that stuff on her husband's income and are racking up credit card debt but... nope, two people in a happy marriage.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

these folks can make one simple change in their lives to stop this conflict, and it has nothing to do with their spending habits

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I'm just amazed by the phrase "friends with Denzel and his wife outside of work"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pomme de Terror posted:

Nah, they got enough self awareness to bury the lede, as if it's about making muffins and not, you know, sexual harassment.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my sister "thats terrifying" when she told me she was pregnant?

quote:

Im 24f, my sister is 21f. Our mom died when we were young(parents were divorced by then), dad remarried few years ago and we now have a 4 year old brother and a 2 year old sister. We all were living at home.

My sister didn't like our step mom from the start, so things were always kind of tense at home, and she did not handle having more siblings well.

She was always the baby and spoiled and entitled, and when the lils came along she started rebelling and basically has made life hell for everyone in the house.

She was coming home drunk constantly at all hours,, she would be agressive and belligerent, especially twords my step mom.

She basically resents the lils and would litterally refuse to interact with them, would flat out ignore them, tell them to get away from her and call them names, refused to help in any way.

My dad and step mom kicked her out a few months backwhen they found drugs in her purse, by the door, where the lil ones could have gotten into it.

Since then she has been living with the bf of the month, also a real peach. They enjoy the same kinds of dysfunction and habits.

So she recently decides that she wants to start coming to family dinners a few times a week, and has been telling everyone how good she is doing, being nice to the kids, helping clean up,, ect.

The other night, after a few glasses of wine mind you, she takes me aside and let's me know she is "cleaning up her act" and wants me to help her convince dad and step mom to let her move back in because... she is pregnant...

She says she is going to need help raising the baby, and it would make things so much easier because they already have all the baby stuff and the house is basically already set up for a baby.

She was telling me how excited she was and asked my thoughts, and I was honest with her. I told her it was terrifying, and that she was in no way mature enough to do this, and that even her "changes" were for selfish reasons.

I also told her I wasn't going to support the idea of her moving home if I was asked about it.

She ended up getting really upset at me and storming out, and when my dad asked what happened I told him. He was not happy, and assured me that he would not be letting her move back in.

So AITA?

guess what everybody! you're having a baby! what do you mean, "no"?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Clocks posted:

I was expecting OP to explain that the wife stays home all day and they can't afford all that stuff on her husband's income and are racking up credit card debt but... nope, two people in a happy marriage.
Yes, but that “happy marriage” is making OP look bad by comparison, which is really what OP is concerned about.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hypothetical.

Would this guy and his wife be bigger arseholes if they had just said "Nup. Don't want an extra kid coz we are selfish."

Or does his "I really love my nephew but ..." push him into extra dickhead territory?
OP’s actual phrasing definitely pushes into extra dickhead territory IMO. At least if they’d said “we’re selfish so no”, that’s at least honest and owning up to it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Evil Willow posted:

'look i'm not controlling, i just want everyone to do what i want.'

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for telling my cousin she can't run off to do her own thing, when she was late to dinner on my bachelorette trip

quote:

Throwaway, this kind of blew up into a bigger thing and my sister said I should post on AITA

I'm (30f) getting married soon and went to NY for my bachelorette trip recently. There were 8 of us including my cousin Hayley, (33f) who's one of my bridesmaids. We were only there for a couple of days and there were a few different things we wanted to do. (also I only asked people pay for their flight and hotel share, I paid for everything else)

I made early dinner reservations for everyone on our last night, and we were going somewhere else after. Hayley mentioned that day she wanted to go visit a cemetery to pay her respects (edit: it was to visit her late husband)- I said okay but to be back in time to go to dinner.

I made the reservations for 5 and it was already 4.30, but Hayley wasn't back at the hotel. A couple of us called but she didn't pick up, and she sent a text saying she was running late and she would meet us at the restaurant. She ended up coming close to 6.

I talked to her later about being so late and managing her time better, Hayley made an excuse but I replied this was supposed to be a girls trip, not so she can go run off to do her own thing without thinking of anyone else.

She got pretty upset and we flew back the next day, but she kept quiet, and my sister said she saw her crying. I did text her later but she left it on seen.

My sister thinks I shouldn't have said that to her, but a couple of the others girls agree Hayley shouldn't have been late.

AITA?

One of the few times that I’m not going to be pretty upset about lateness. I’ll fuckin persevere through

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I guess it is Tuesday after all.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I had the same exact thought in my TFF poisoned brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for 'creating a scene' at a restaurant with my best friend?

quote:

EDIT: i was feeling super guilty about this. thanks to all the commenters.

My best friend and I were planning to go out for dinner to this new place for ages. It's not a typical restaurant per say, it's a place where the minute you order something you pay and then go collect it from the counter, but sit in a fine dining type setting with plates etc (a mix between a fast food type thing and restaurant).

My best friend asked me if she could get her new boyfriend over to the restaurant with her. I've heard a lot about him and don't like him that much. I said no, very politely multiple times. I wanted to have a nice day out with her, no stranger. I told her that I could meet him some other time, not then.

Fast forward to the restaurant. I reserve a table for us and get there a little before her. She shows up, few minutes later, with her boyfriend. I was super nice in front of him, but later i dragged her to the side and told her how this wasn't okay. I wasn't expecting a stranger. She said it was apparently a 'surprise for me'. She saw me roll my eyes and got a little angry.

We go buy the food, i buy mine, she buys their both's. When the bill comes, she just divides it by two. At first, looking at that, i jokingly ask if she's giving me a treat too (i wasn't gonna let her anyways, we're both on pocket money). She said no, she was just splitting it between the two of us.

Her boyfriend ordered 2 burgers for himself and a huge tumbler of lemonade. That's almost a meal for 2 more. I asked her if he's paying for himself, she said no. She said:

'I got him here so that YOU can meet him' 'He's here only for you, you can pay for him after making him feel unwelcome, it's the least you can do'

I was visibly livid. I paid for my food, went back to the table and asked him for the money very politely. He said 'I came here to meet you, i assumed it was your treat, I am not paying'

This is the part where i may be wrong: I got up, asked the server to pack my food and called him a cheapo and good for nothing. And i told her that she's no better. I told the cashier extremely loudly to take the bill from him after pointing at him.

I then proceeded to walk out and go home. I was supposed to be her ride home, but i don't care at this point. She kept calling me insisting i created a scene for no reason, and that she doesn't have enough cash for the cab back home and to pay for the food. I just replied with: you have PayPal. (She couldn't do without her parents asking her why she's spending over her allowance and then they'll cut it from the next month's pocket money)

She sent multiple angry texts and voice notes later insisting i apologize to him. I haven't replied to any. Her parents are gonna cut her pocket money next month so she's pissed off about that as well.

i put together this nice surprise for you and you won't even pay for it? you ingrate