Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ugh. Uggggghhhh. I bought one for $30 off a friend pretty much to be able to play BF2 and by god what a miserable loving card that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's also a really dumb premise because the greatest GPU of all time is objectively whatever is the fastest, latest GPU available.

Idk "great" could mean a lot of things, and you could easily say that whatever card had the biggest uplift or value over the previous generation would qualify it. 9700 Pro and 1080Ti both seem like good contenders for that title.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It's been all downhill since the 8800GT, top end performance for 200 bucks.
:hai:

Pascal is the next contender and then it's just endless trash

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ugh. Uggggghhhh. I bought one for $30 off a friend pretty much to be able to play BF2 and by god what a miserable loving card that was.

Look at the bragger we have here, I played Battlefield 2 on the PCI version of that piece of poo poo. Moving in quick succession to a 7900GS and the saintly 8800 GT I felt like a caveman dropped off in modern times.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

My first PC didn't have an AGP slot, so the PCI FX 5200 was the first dedicated graphics card I ever owned.

It let me play Morrowind for the first time without it being a slideshow and crashing after 30 minutes. I was so happy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fond memories of bypassing the shader model check on games like Pariah and Silent Hill 3 so I could play them and have half the game taken up by white cubes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can see why Paul made that video now.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Find memories of Asus dropping cheat drivers that let you play CS in wireframe mode.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I installed SponsorBlock and I would like to formally apologise to my past self for not doing this ages ago.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

njsykora posted:

I installed SponsorBlock and I would like to formally apologise to my past self for not doing this ages ago.

This really can't be stated enough how drat good sponsorblock is, like installing adblock for the first time good.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

wargames posted:

This really can't be stated enough how drat good sponsorblock is, like installing adblock for the first time good.

wait how is this still officially on the chrome web store lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Google doesn’t make money from in-video sponsor spots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

And I would like to apologize... for this segue, to our sponsor! War Thunder!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

gradenko_2000 posted:

And I would like to apologize... for this segue, to our sponsor! War Thunder!

I should sell ad breaks in my posts.

I think I heard someone say that Linus was crying about Sponsorblock a bit ago, but does it actually affect the producers? For an non-YT served ad existing as a part of the video, can the advertiser somehow find what % of people skipped it? I don't know how any of this works behind the scenes.

This question brought to you by Raid: Shadow Legends.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's possible that sponsorblock messes with watchtime data. ltt were talking about how they're probably gonna stop doing intros, because people skipping them could be bad for the algo

i don't think it's necessarily the adblock component that puts them off about it, and there is something messed up about someone else deciding what part of your youtube video is "filler" and so on

i use it, but there's pros and cons to it

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

cons for the creator maybe, it's only been pros for me. Watching the odd YouTube video on the tv with my partner and having a sponsor spot sprung up on us was alarming, because most creators now are trying to make the transitions seamless. Hey, get your bag content creators, but I'm going to skip it :shrug:

mewse
May 2, 2006

wargames posted:

I had a chuckle yesterday when a video skipped a sponsor and then the creator said “so let’s get straight to the point”.. yes, let’s

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Intros and all the other loving nonsense shouldn't exist in the first place, it's no wonder people are skipping them as soon as they discover they can.

Best example is when you're looking for a deeply technical subject and every single video starts with entire-length-minus-two minutes of intro and vamp before getting into the very basics of the program until finally barely touching on the subject you're genuinely interested in for the final 2 minutes to ensure that the video is over the magic limit to ensure maximum payout.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

"I still have a Bulldozer CPU in my home computer"
steve "gamers nexus" burke

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

Based on his content pace does he ever go home?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

Love him for this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Based on his content pace does he ever go home?

Questionable, there's been videos in the past where he's said he finished the video himself because he wanted the rest of the staff to have time off. Not to mention that time he said he slept at the office for 2 nights to get some GPU testing done.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Dude works hard and long hours.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
8800GTX 512MB, which brought the ridiculous prices of the 8800GTX 384/768MB versions down to human level. Had that one for years!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1620181849413926912

HWUB are (at least to my eyes) exaggerating for effect here, and I don't think this is going to be the "death of PC gaming", but the downstream effects are pretty annoying

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Denuvo hasn't been shown to negatively impact performance in a significant way except for RE: Village, which had a really shoddy implementation.

edit: I went to that site to find the article in question, and I'm already regretting my decision

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Love the hardcore issues reporting of “Gamerant”.

Though it is something to be concerned about if devs are looking at upscalers and presumably frame generation as well not as ways to boost performance to higher framerate limits like 90-120 but as replacements for optimisation to hit 30-60. That said I know nothing of this Atomic Heart game other than people seem to have started talking about it entirely within the last week.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I dunno about you all, but I'm happy enough with watching playthroughs on streaming that I pretty much stopped caring about PC hardware anymore

im also sure :capitalism: will try killing the former

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Palladium posted:

I dunno about you all, but I'm happy enough with watching playthroughs on streaming that I pretty much stopped caring about PC hardware anymore

im also sure :capitalism: will try killing the former

Be it Youtube or Twitch, I'm getting more ads minutes per hour than the channel video feed already.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Denuvo hasn't been shown to negatively impact performance in a significant way except for RE: Village, which had a really shoddy implementation.

edit: I went to that site to find the article in question, and I'm already regretting my decision

Denuvo is pretty drat benign unless you're Capcom yeah

and boy howdy that article is some nichegamer-tier garbage

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pirates will never stop whining about denuvo because it's one of the very few forms of DRM that actually gives them trouble, games still frequently take months to crack, if they get cracked at all

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

IIRC most of the Denuvo cracks come from leaks except for one when that one lady actually manages it and fills the NFO with paragraphs about how the video game Stray is bull poo poo and a bunch of homophobic slurs on the level of a twelve year old

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah there's been a few instances of publishers releasing DRM free builds by accident, but that one individual you mentioned is the only one who actually breaks it regularly

they're just now talking about releasing monster hunter rise, an entire year after the PC version launched

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Tangential to whether Denuvo has a performance cost, there's quite a few games that today would be unplayable on pc without cracks, because they've been delisted.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Tangential to whether Denuvo has a performance cost, there's quite a few games that today would be unplayable on pc without cracks, because they've been delisted.

There’s a lot of old racing games on Steam like GT Legends and GTR2 where installation guides routinely include old no-CD cracks to restore content that was stripped out when it went on Steam. Usually Ferrari and Porsche stuff.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

njsykora posted:

There’s a lot of old racing games on Steam like GT Legends and GTR2 where installation guides routinely include old no-CD cracks to restore content that was stripped out when it went on Steam. Usually Ferrari and Porsche stuff.

Old Ubisoft games requires cracks to unlock stuff that relies on their old uplay api endpoints which got cut out years ago.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Love the hardcore issues reporting of “Gamerant”.

Who is the gamer ant? Gamers want to know

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

njsykora posted:

This poo poo should be illegal. I paid for that content, I don't care that some parent licensing deal expired, I should get to keep it. It's fine I guess if new purchases don't get to have it, but removing something that was already paid for is anti-consumer as hell.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's definitely been a couple other games where Denuvo was correlated with poor performance, in that a cracked version didn't play like poo poo. But also, people have benched games that removed Denuvo before & after and found some games had no impact, some games did.

I think an explanation which squares the variable results is that implementation matters a lot, and Denuvo may have varying levels of aggressiveness / how much data is going through their dumb encrypt/decrypt shuffle.

Anyways DLSS won't help with poor Denuvo performance, games that do badly with Denuvo are usually getting choked on CPU and maybe memory, not GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah VM protection like denuvo requires the developer to annotate regions of the executable to mangle or not mangle, so to cause maximum frustration to pirate groups while minimising the performance hit they have to thread the needle of mangling as much code as possible outside of the performance critical path, and nothing inside it

RE:Village also had some in-house capcom obfuscation layered on top of denuvo that could have contributed to the issues

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 31, 2023