Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Schwarzwald posted:

Yo, if anyone is looking for Alien like films that aren't actually apart of the franchise, I'd highly recommend 1992's Zeiram. I posted a little about it in the kaiju thread, but in brief: an alien bioweapon escapes to Earth, only two blue collar schlub's with the electric company can stop it.

This movie owns and has legit great costumes and puppet stuff for Zeiram's face. I always thought the real zoomed in closeups were just a person with makeup but apparently it's a puppet in every shot. Baller soundtrack too.

I like Zeiram 2 a lot also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dang I thought that was only a cartoon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I am aware that the cartoon exists and was like, a thing for the mid 90s anime fandom on account of getting a dub when not much did, but honestly if its not low budget live action then I'm not that interested.

I'll definitely find time for Zeirem 2, tho.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Yo, if anyone is looking for Alien like films that aren't actually apart of the franchise, I'd highly recommend 1992's Zeiram. I posted a little about it in the kaiju thread, but in brief: an alien bioweapon escapes to Earth, only two blue collar schlub's with the electric company can stop it.

It's a lot of fun. Yūko Moriyama plays Iria as a boss.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just got the Fate of the Nostromo board game for $10!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I just got the Fate of the Nostromo board game for $10!

This game owns so if anyone here who didn't get it yet can get it for $10 do that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Easy to play coop PVE game for family board game night, pro recommend, if you can get it for 10 bucks and you like (thinking about) aliems you'd be an absolute moron not to. I payed pretty much MSRP and was happy with it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I stumbled across a copy at a local place called Bins that has overstock and returned items from Target and Amazon and stuff, that’s how I got it for $10.

It was technically opened but it seemed to have everything (the decks were sealed, the character pieces were all there I think, the cardboard bits were not punched out), so unless it was missing an entire deck then it was complete. I tried to cross reference against photos on BoardGameGeek and everything seemed to be there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Azubah posted:

Dang I thought that was only a cartoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iaLHafLbRk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

I stumbled across a copy at a local place called Bins that has overstock and returned items from Target and Amazon and stuff, that’s how I got it for $10.

It was technically opened but it seemed to have everything (the decks were sealed, the character pieces were all there I think, the cardboard bits were not punched out), so unless it was missing an entire deck then it was complete. I tried to cross reference against photos on BoardGameGeek and everything seemed to be there.
There's a couple of unboxings on youtube if you want to triple check.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Holy gently caress I remember watching this when it aired lmao gently caress yes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
WE made a house rule for Fate of the Nostromo that works well.

WE marked one of the two Jonesy tiles with a marker and treat it as a facehugger. ANy character who discovers it immediately goes to medbay and stays there (losing their turns) until another character can get there and use a medkit to revive them. It works well, doesn't upset game balance as far as we could tell and adds another little bit of flavor.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

There's a couple of unboxings on youtube if you want to triple check.

Good call, I’ll do that.

Edit— just watched one, looks like my box is complete! I win!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 17, 2023

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I just rewatched Prometheus and Covenant again and I want more, I need more. They’re really beautiful films to look at.

Any news on the next sequel?

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I know this is kind of tangentially related:

Anyone play Nemesis Lockdown? I just picked it up because it looks like it really wants to be Aliens, and I can respect that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

toggle posted:

I just rewatched Prometheus and Covenant again and I want more, I need more. They’re really beautiful films to look at.

Any news on the next sequel?

No. They're doing the TV show instead which takes place on Earth. I would hope that they will be able to use the show to tie David's story up, assuming we're not going to ever get that movie. But who knows, the show could dissolve away, too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Prometheus throughline seems to be to imply a loving awesome next film and deliver a sequel that skips over it.

Prometheus > Head and Girl explore the galaxy in search of The Creators
Reality: Head turns girl into an egg farm after genociding a planet

Covenant > Baddroid has a world of plenty to experiment on survivors with > probably some TV thriller about the corporation looking into aliens of some kind

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

No. They're doing the TV show instead which takes place on Earth. I would hope that they will be able to use the show to tie David's story up, assuming we're not going to ever get that movie. But who knows, the show could dissolve away, too.

They've said, as of like two weeks ago, that the show won't feature any legacy characters and is set near the end of the 21st century.

As for Prometheus 3 or whatever, that seems dead. It's written, but Covenant's lackluster performance seems to have Disney not at all interested in pursuing it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

No. They're doing the TV show instead which takes place on Earth.

That’s confirmed, that it takes place on Earth?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
If Scott Free is producing then it's certainly possible that some of Ridley's ideas make it in, that's his studio after all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

That’s confirmed, that it takes place on Earth?

Per the chief of FX, yes. On Earth near the end of this century.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I’m pretty sure that Disney is planning to wait for Ridley to keel over so they can just make whatever pg-13 overcompromised mess they feel like without having to do damage control from him talking poo poo in interviews that would absolutely happen otherwise

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

Per the chief of FX, yes. On Earth near the end of this century.
Huh, so well before Alien? I'm already less interested, because it likely becomes a prequel that either ends with "and then everyone died so nobody ever learned what happened", or the WY equivalent of the Cigarette Smoking Man has everything sanitised after the inevitable disaster and grumbles "We'll secure one of those pesky xenomorphs for the weapons division next time, I swear!"

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Yeah if it's on Earth I'd rather it be some apocalyptic scenario in which an outbreak fucks up a whole city or the world or something.

If it's just some isolated Weyland facility then why not just do it in space? Can't be too tough on the budget to make a bunch of dingy corridors and an occasional CGI background.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah Aliens on Earth sucks unless it’s like a remake/reenvisioning of the dark horse earth hive apocalypse stuff. And that has to take place at least after Aliens. Being on a “planet” or space station would be much more fitting. Near-future earth? That’s some avp poo poo please miss me with that unless it’s avp…
And really the og avp comic on the ranch world (or even the avp capcom arcade game with the colony city overrun with xenomorphs) was a much cooler setting than Antarctica or Colorado or whatever.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Argh what a bummer. :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is the aliens tv show I want:

PipHelix posted:

Aliens land on earth/ well populated terran planet. Not some barren rock 'colony'. Hubworld. Things are obviously hosed there's publicly available video of them ripping poo poo up, everyone knows this from like, day one, but, well. It's a big old world. There's only a couple of these weird things way off in Space-China. People just can't imagine it affecting them.

Following some character development, cut to a few months later the grocery store worker we now know and love commuting to work. It's some armored Codehunters type train with turrets/marines blasting stray xenomorphs but with wrecked/burnt out ones pushed over to the side off the rails. This clearly works only most of the time. The Burke character, the store's assistant manager chews her out for being late, reminds her how many people are out of work with this shelter in place order and puts her on one of the poo poo duties, either scanning people at the door for chestbursters or running down and killing the spawn from the assholes who slip in infected and go John Hurt in the Totinos Aisle. And spreading like borax or baking soda on the spill and putting a wet floor sign over the hole and going back to work.

Some Wikileaks thing releases the scene of Ripley yelling about how if ONE of these things, ONE, makes it to earth you can kiss it all goodbye, and you can wipe your rear end with these reports!

And it's news for like, 8 hours. Because the gently caress is anyone supposed to do with the information? Protest? Move off world? Anyone who could afford THAT already did it. Any ship that could travel interplanetary has been gone for weeks if not months by now.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There's also the movie coming to Hulu, directed by the guy who did the Evil Dead remake and produced by Ridley. We don't have as many details about that though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Unless Earth looks like Blade Runner then I have no interest.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

sigher posted:

Unless Earth looks like Blade Runner then I have no interest.

Deleted scene from Resurrection shows Paris looking pretty hosed up

Johner wasn't kidding when he called Earth a poo poo hole. I hope the TV series goes with this type of setting, with Earth just being a wreck and rather than sparkly clean or modern sets we see everything run down with smaller pockets of civilization scattered around. They don't even need to explain it, people can make reasonable guesses for what went wrong based off current events.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I thought the TV show was going to focus on wealth inequality or something like that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SUNKOS posted:

Deleted scene from Resurrection shows Paris looking pretty hosed up

Johner wasn't kidding when he called Earth a poo poo hole. I hope the TV series goes with this type of setting, with Earth just being a wreck and rather than sparkly clean or modern sets we see everything run down with smaller pockets of civilization scattered around. They don't even need to explain it, people can make reasonable guesses for what went wrong based off current events.
Be "brave" about it and show earth utterly wrecked by climate change. Not as a major part of the story, just as an acceptance of what 2090 is going to look like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

david_a posted:

I thought the TV show was going to focus on wealth inequality or something like that.

The have xenos and have not xenos

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Splicer posted:

Be "brave" about it and show earth utterly wrecked by climate change. Not as a major part of the story, just as an acceptance of what 2090 is going to look like.

They should make another Split Second movie.

CelticPredator posted:

The have xenos and have not xenos

Not everyone is born a queen.

I know about the upcoming movie and am super hype for that, but what's up with the TV show? is that still a thing?

EDIT: Never mind I read more of the thread and am stupid. Disappointing to have it just be near future AND on earth.

Like just put it in Blade Runner. Or put it on a BIG colony/space station city with a large population instead of a small or already dead one.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 1, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

They should make another Split Second movie.

Only if they base it off the video game. :colbert:

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I heard the storyline is W-Y was worried about their investment in the Jugging competition to the point where they pulled funding from their Rollerball team, so their top Death Race driver got extra reckless and accidentally grabbed a box of xeno eggs from the Warehouse and things spiral out of control from there

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The show will be set in the Canadian forest to save on budget

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

The show will be set in the Canadian forest to save on budget

Nice, they can reuse the locations from House of the Dead!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They're not going to have anything near a good enough HBO type budget to make a decent future earth so why even bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Earth 80 years from now won't have any cool or good sci-fi stuff, it's unfettered capitalism all the way down and space travel will only be for people like Bezos and Musk.