Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Personally, once all the stories of Amazon sharing clips to law enforcement without permission sealed the deal that I will never have that poo poo in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

holtemon posted:

No judgement or anything, just curious that's all. I know I don't wanna watch myself laying on the couch being a bum all day lol

The idea isn't that you watch yourself, it's that if your house gets broken into or something explodes you'll have video of what actually happened. You only pull video when something happens. Otherwise it's like it's not even there.

Unless one occupant decides the other is cheating on them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You see this a lot when you're trying to rescue Cats from dangerous situations. Sometimes they don't know you're just trying to help!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

Cloud based cameras are fine. You just need to accept someone is going to be watching you jerk off. Quite natural when you think about it.

I'd rather do that on one of the cam sites

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I had a camera set up in my living room but that was to watch the cats while we traveled because last time one of them hid from the house sitter and it was freaking her out a bit after she hadn’t seen it for like three days.

Then we got home and I just kinda forgot about it.

But: my cameras record to local network storage, not some shady cloud service that will hand it over to the cops or whatever just for funsies.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

This is a short article that is absolutely worth the read, holy balls.

I'm sure the company suffered no consequences.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

sigher posted:

Didn't someone sue the military because he found out his mom's body was blown up?

I think they sued the "medical testing centre" that sold the body against the wishes of the family, but the centre was also incredibly shady and likely run by a serial killer because when it was raided they found "buckets of heads" and "frozen male genetalia removed and sewn together". So im unsure of their legitimacy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think there were/are a few lawsuits out there. Donating your body to science became the in thing to do for people who don't care about final remains or were otherwise aiming for bargain cremation.

Everybody thought they were donating to the Body Farm or some other socially productive science institute but all the hot topic researchers had tested every permutation they could with their current grant money. For a while the only people really buying bodies were weapons trauma testers and I think a company or two tried breaking into crash test dummies with donated bodies and your body broker you arranged your will with didn't really want to go any further than confirming your body was being donated to 'science' even though the current body buyers were for profit industry researchers and not public research.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah I also have a couple security cameras but they're specifically pointed at the entrances and don't capture anyone sitting on the couch or at my desk or anything like that.

I also got one that can be remote controlled to pan around the room in my kitchen. It's pointed to a corner 99% of the time but I can swing it around to make sure the oven/stove are off and the fridge is closed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scholtz posted:

Yeah I also have a couple security cameras but they're specifically pointed at the entrances and don't capture anyone sitting on the couch or at my desk or anything like that.

I also got one that can be remote controlled to pan around the room in my kitchen. It's pointed to a corner 99% of the time but I can swing it around to make sure the oven/stove are off and the fridge is closed

Yup. We have a bunch of Nest cameras and they are only outside pointed towards entrances and other places I might want to record.

Never going to point an IoT camera inside our home.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Voyager I posted:

This is a short article that is absolutely worth the read, holy balls.

I'm sure the company suffered no consequences.

It's part of one of the big Chinese manufacturing corps.

So, no.

e: Personally I do have two Alexa devices with a camera (echo spots) but reading about how it works I somewhat trust it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 31, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The idea isn't that you watch yourself, it's that if your house gets broken into or something explodes you'll have video of what actually happened. You only pull video when something happens. Otherwise it's like it's not even there.

Unless one occupant decides the other is cheating on them.

:haibrower:

I lived in a particularly lovely block in a sketchy neighborhood, and I would leave my dog at home sometime for hours, so I wanted something that I could check on the house. :unsmigghh: strangers watching me crank it was just a bonus :getin:

Scholtz posted:

The singular internal camera I had pointed towards the living room door and wasn't PTZ. Nobody was seeing anything unless I answered the front door naked, as I am wont to do.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

holtemon posted:

Not to derail but lol we were asking this same question IRL the other day. I mean I get outside surveillance and ring cams and whatever, but why have a camera in your house on all the time?

Also was this boulder the size of a small boulder? Or a regular boulder? The jerks didn't show it

how else do you expect to catch leprechauns, spriggans, sprites, gremlins and kobolds?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Buce posted:

how else do you expect to catch leprechauns, spriggans, sprites, gremlins and kobolds?

By setting up bear traps in your living areas, like the rest of us do when we leave home.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Private Speech posted:

e: Personally I do have two Alexa devices with a camera (echo spots) but reading about how it works I somewhat trust it.
lmao :allears:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpd2s4leZ81r0uzl6_720.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpd2lbejc21r0uzl6.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 31, 2023

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

zedprime posted:

I think there were/are a few lawsuits out there. Donating your body to science became the in thing to do for people who don't care about final remains or were otherwise aiming for bargain cremation.

Everybody thought they were donating to the Body Farm or some other socially productive science institute but all the hot topic researchers had tested every permutation they could with their current grant money. For a while the only people really buying bodies were weapons trauma testers and I think a company or two tried breaking into crash test dummies with donated bodies and your body broker you arranged your will with didn't really want to go any further than confirming your body was being donated to 'science' even though the current body buyers were for profit industry researchers and not public research.

Reuters has a series on the body trade and it's a real hosed up read; worth the time if you want to know what can really happen if you are donating your body to "science": https://www.reuters.com/investigates/section/usa-bodies/

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I agree, OP, they should rate all cars for moose strikes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What are you doing, Klaus?! You don't even work here!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The F150 is a truck. Why the gently caress would the cab be sitting that low for?

Vakal fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 31, 2023

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

The F150 is a truck. Why the gently caress would the cab be sitting that low for?

Marketing

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cool new way to start forest fires discovered.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Vakal posted:

To simulate the 11'8" bridge the F150 will run into when jacked up on huge tires.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vakal posted:

The F150 only has half an inch more ground clearance than the XC90

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm sure with enough testing I could figure out the collision angle on the XC90 to activate the One Weird Trick to Decapitate Driver.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm sure with enough testing I could figure out the collision angle on the XC90 to activate the One Weird Trick to Decapitate Driver.
Sort of but you might be searching for a while because modern unibodies are fantastic at scrunching, bouncing, and otherwise directing energy places beside inside the frame.

Not to downtalk a truck. It's kind of working as expected that big dumb body on frame designs like an F150 get regulation lenience from assuming they are the big immovable unbendable object pushing everything else out of the way in any kinetic exchange but also market forces not really driving safety into the requirements of the designer.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

zedprime posted:

Sort of but you might be searching for a while because modern unibodies are fantastic at scrunching, bouncing, and otherwise directing energy places beside inside the frame.

Not to downtalk a truck. It's kind of working as expected that big dumb body on frame designs like an F150 get regulation lenience from assuming they are the big immovable unbendable object pushing everything else out of the way in any kinetic exchange but also market forces not really driving safety into the requirements of the designer.

This is why the 10,000lb CYBERTRUCK is the superior vehicle.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

A bit late to the murderstair chat, but...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Where are these crazy stair houses? Doesn’t residential construction mandate handrails? I know it does for multifamily rental but I wasn’t sure if private homeowners had more agency into how deadly their house was.

Japan, mostly. Japanese houses depreciate like cars and are usually torn down after 30–40 years of weather, earthquakes and general wear and tear.

Since nobody else is going to be living in your house, you can go hog wild with the design as long as it isn't a fire hazard.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

zedprime posted:

all that matters is that the owner feels invincible, doesn't matter if inertia will immediately obliterate them the moment that poo poo goes sidways

memento mori monstertruck

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zil posted:

Frost heaving or land sub?

Reverse sinkhole.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I heard or read somewhere that since the XC90 was introduced in the UK, its had literally zero fatal passenger crashes. Zero. This sort of crash is also relatively uncommon, because that pole would need to be approximately bridge height to hit the cab of the average F-150 :v:

EDIT

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/british-volvo-xc90s-have-seen-zero-crash-fatalities-in-16-years/

:colbert: thats about as OSHA as it gets :colbert:

DOUBLE EDIT

That article is from 2016 but the record seems to stand? :shrug:

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 1, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
It's like none of you have even seen Final Destination.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Vampire Panties posted:

I heard or read somewhere that since the XC90 was introduced in the UK, its had literally zero fatal passenger crashes. Zero. This sort of crash is also relatively uncommon, because that pole would need to be approximately bridge height to hit the cab of the average F-150 :v:

EDIT

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/british-volvo-xc90s-have-seen-zero-crash-fatalities-in-16-years/

:colbert: thats about as OSHA as it gets :colbert:

DOUBLE EDIT

That article is from 2016 but the record seems to stand? :shrug:

That's because it's loving huge and just crushes everything around it.

It is the epitome of "I bought the biggest car I could to feel safe, gently caress everyone else around me *crushes three other cars while reversing out of the school car park*"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/CiTFn9j.mp4

Imagine your entire job being demonstrating deadly traps to tourists.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CiTFn9j.mp4

Imagine your entire job being demonstrating deadly traps to tourists.

I spent three summers listening to a carousel so much that I once willing spent an 8 hour shift on the Scooby Doo dark ride walking on a turn table because A) it was air conditioned, and B) There was no loving carousel music.

I probably would have been OK with the Trap Demo gig, too.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

I think they sued the "medical testing centre" that sold the body against the wishes of the family, but the centre was also incredibly shady and likely run by a serial killer because when it was raided they found "buckets of heads" and "frozen male genetalia removed and sewn together". So im unsure of their legitimacy.

All I'm saying is when I die I'm completely on board with my dick being sewn to my forehead and getting blown up or shredded in the name of science. Let's fuckin' go.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rpcy8zRPn91qigfjt.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/x6mkbcU.gifv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spider-man reboot looking cheap, but charming

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsXQInxxzBU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

wheatpuppy posted:

It's like none of you have even seen Final Destination.

I've seen a bmw that had a semi truck's drive shaft go through the windshield between the front seats and through the rear seat. Driver unscathed but obviously shaken.