Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Kyrosiris posted:

I made mine for MCH but everything here (but the gun, obviously) is class-agnostic, so you could do it for GNB if you wanted.

I can see myself copying this and immediately being banned because I refuse to stop spamming my "Need a dispenser here" macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ojjeorago posted:

It’s very difficult for me to understand as a gamer what the meaning behind using numerous third-party tools to square the map would be.

It looks nice

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

You're absolutely correct, don't let YoshiP bully you from your truth.

The AddOn stuff is all about unfair gameplay advantages, but they can't "define" AddOns to ban only specific ones, and they can't allow all of them the way WoW does because console gaming is a thing for FFXIV.

Don't tell anyone about your AddOns in a way that can be reported to Square and they can't do anything about it.

Speaking of, I've reported this to Square. More seriously this situation has nothing to do with what most people use, the (disgraced, not accepted) world first team weren't using UI fixes or Ping Fixes or even dps meters. They were using literal zoomhacks and pixel perfect visible hitboxes.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vitamean posted:

cannot believe the thread spent the entire night on cleretic's wild ride

rubbernecking is a powerful instinct

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this is sick, deranged, and twisted

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In other news, there is apparently a known problem person within the XIV community making bomb threats regarding Fan Fest, so anyone going, please be careful.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

If the illicit use of third-party tools is made clear through our investigations, I, at the very least, will not recognize that team as the true World First.

:sbahj:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

In other news, there is apparently a known problem person within the XIV community making bomb threats regarding Fan Fest, so anyone going, please be careful.

FFXIV really is a true video game now.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
BLM Experience

Doomgaze Hollow puts a green Void Aero circle on the dude next to me. "Go away!" I think. "I'm in my Ley Lines! YOU move!" I curse internally for another heartbeat and then I see...there's actually a different Ley Lines largely overlapping with mine, and the other guy's *also* a BLM, no doubt projecting the same mental energy at me.

We actually both managed to slide-cast stand at the very perimeter of our Lines and avoid me taking the hit :smug: It would have been funnier if we both ate the damage in stubbornness solidarity though.

Of course the other BLM got my commendation.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I always feel light admiration when I see a BLM eat an aoe to stand in their circle.

"If you had the strength to finish one more cast... could you?"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SuperKlaus posted:

BLM Experience

Doomgaze Hollow puts a green Void Aero circle on the dude next to me. "Go away!" I think. "I'm in my Ley Lines! YOU move!" I curse internally for another heartbeat and then I see...there's actually a different Ley Lines largely overlapping with mine, and the other guy's *also* a BLM, no doubt projecting the same mental energy at me.

We actually both managed to slide-cast stand at the very perimeter of our Lines and avoid me taking the hit :smug: It would have been funnier if we both ate the damage in stubbornness solidarity though.

Of course the other BLM got my commendation.

A safe response with those types of AOEs - AOEs that are designed to be survivable - is just to deal with it and take the hit. If you're low HP or your healers are dead or whatever, fine dodge, but otherwise you shouldn't make unreasonable efforts to move the aoes out of the group, or dodge someone with a single aoe. In the former, you're just making even more cascading changes to people trying to dodge around you, and the latter doesn't matter. Just make sure there's not dangerous amount of overlap.

Nearly always there are multiple people getting targeted by them in multiple parties. The healers will just AOE heal it anyways, so having one more person get HP back doesn't matter. If you want to be doubly safe, just hit manawall and plant those feet.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This too is a third party tool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

this is sick, deranged, and twisted

The World is Square after all

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Waffleman_ posted:

It was this guy:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

You're absolutely correct, don't let YoshiP bully you from your truth.

The AddOn stuff is all about unfair gameplay advantages, but they can't "define" AddOns to ban only specific ones, and they can't allow all of them the way WoW does because console gaming is a thing for FFXIV.

Don't tell anyone about your AddOns in a way that can be reported to Square and they can't do anything about it.

Speaking of, I've reported this to Square. More seriously this situation has nothing to do with what most people use, the (disgraced, not accepted) world first team weren't using UI fixes or Ping Fixes or even dps meters. They were using literal zoomhacks and pixel perfect visible hitboxes.

There's also the fact that WoW has a specific toxicity problem that amounts to making Game Enhancement AddOns mandatory which I can imagine the XIV staff don't want any part of.

But yeah, unless something bonkers happens, as long as you keep shtum in XIV proper (and maybe the official forms, just to be safe) about what AddOns you're using, the mods will leave you alone.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 31, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also try not to post modded screenshots on official hashtags.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Plus they want to make sure that console players can perfectly participate in all content just the same and do not want to open that can of worms any further than it is already

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also try not to post modded screenshots on official hashtags.

Or billboards

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Looks like you're gaining an unfair advantage by being able to see a larger area on your minimap :toughguy:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Here’s my take - when it comes to world first races, you either have a member of your team streaming with open voice comms or you’re a cheater.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

"gosh whats the point of making hard content if people have mods :*("

gently caress outta here with that poo poo. if you want your mod policy to be "honor system" then this is what that looks like. if you want certain things to be impossible then your gonna have to invest time and resources into either a more invasive and locked down client or a formal API system so you can actually control what goes on

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does the linkpearl emote seriously play that noise for everybody within earshot lol

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does the linkpearl emote seriously play that noise for everybody within earshot lol

Absolutely, and it's spammable.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Farg posted:

gently caress outta here with that poo poo. if you want your mod policy to be "honor system" then this is what that looks like. if you want certain things to be impossible then your gonna have to invest time and resources into either a more invasive and locked down client or a formal API system so you can actually control what goes on

settle down

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Farg posted:

I mean, I’m not really going to fault Yoshi-P that much for having a little faith and expecting a little more out of the WF community than it actually showed

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

settle down

speak when spoken to, "little caesar"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Farg posted:

Invasive anticheat to deal with a problem that affects a vanishingly small portion of the playerbase for a limited timeframe would be a wildly inefficient use of resources (especially considering that, like all anticheat systems, it would require ongoing investment), and creating a formal API system would only help PC players, unless there's inbuilt PS4/PS5 functionality that would allow the installation of foreign software. Manually dealing with the problem as it crops up is far more efficient.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Vermain posted:

Invasive anticheat to deal with a problem that affects a vanishingly small portion of the playerbase for a limited timeframe would be a wildly inefficient use of resources (especially considering that, like all anticheat systems, it would require ongoing investment), and creating a formal API system would only help PC players, unless there's inbuilt PS4/PS5 functionality that would allow the installation of foreign software. Manually dealing with the problem as it crops up is far more efficient.

its true that its an investment of resources. as long as people are fine with the official policy essentially being "a few people will get suspended or banned if they are dumb/unlucky enough to get caught, and there might be a blustery blog post saying that yoshi p is sad" then there isn't anything wrong with the status quo

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I don't think it's all that unreasonable for yoship to expect that the part of the community that keeps asking for hard content actually wants to play hard content, rather than use tool assists to beat it quickly for clout.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Of course it's unreasonable. Or at the very least, unrealistic.

I'll submit the entire history of gaming (or sport) as evidence.

No one should expect anything like that to be free of cheating without any sort of process to keep it that way.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 31, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's always going to be an inbuilt expectation of people seeking to clandestinely gain a competitive advantage; I don't think SE is stupid, and they know full well by now what can be done with modding. Blog posts like that are less about someone being flabbergasted that a completely predictable thing occurred, and are more about setting a community standard and staking a clear position on the issue in the same way that anti-doping agencies and the like do.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What is the video that can’t be recorded referring to? I don’t understand the concept

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Farg posted:

its true that its an investment of resources. as long as people are fine with the official policy essentially being "a few people will get suspended or banned if they are dumb/unlucky enough to get caught, and there might be a blustery blog post saying that yoshi p is sad" then there isn't anything wrong with the status quo

I mean, yeah. I'm absolutely fine with this. Don't be a dumbfuck and announce your illegal mods to the world

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

What is the video that can’t be recorded referring to? I don’t understand the concept

Likely a 6.4 cutscene that was a WiP on the private developer servers. It's a roundabout way of saying, "Someone inside the company leaked a half-finished cutscene."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

If we're on the same page, there was a video of the end cutscene that was recorded and distributed prior to any group actually defeating the boss.

So that video couldn't have been legitimately recorded.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There was a video of the entirely of p5 with a single character running around with god mode enabled that was leaked

P5 of top, to be clear, not mr carbuncle

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

I haven't heard or seen anything about this but from the yoshi post it seems like an internal employee released a cutscene.

There's also another instance where someone inserted a flag to the neverending story book that said they cleared TOP and recorded the win cutscene

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Farg posted:

WF Raiders have always shouted stuff like "we want extremely challenging content! we dont care if it gives us a power advantage, we just want cosmetics to prove that we're very good!" Then they immediately cheat to win.

But yeah, if you're a WF raid team, I'm going to assume that if you don't have a member of your team streaming with open comms, then your team is using hack mods to to cheat. As has been evidenced by the community getting busted by it again and again.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

That’s not really enough of an audit either, it wouldn’t be very hard to cheat and have 1 clean pov. You only need one person to record footage with a zoom hack to be reviewed by the whole team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mordiceius posted:

WF Raiders have always shouted stuff like "we want extremely challenging content! we dont care if it gives us a power advantage, we just want cosmetics to prove that we're very good!" Then they immediately cheat to win.

But yeah, if you're a WF raid team, I'm going to assume that if you don't have a member of your team streaming with open comms, then your team is using hack mods to to cheat. As has been evidenced by the community getting busted by it again and again.
Its like all the cool badass pvpers who said they wanted a more thrilling challenge and turned out to actually want to constantly gank newbs.