Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The busiest passenger airport in the world is Atlanta? I find that astonishing honestly, if only because I've flown to the southern us a few times and don't think I've ever gone through it.

My money would have been on Frankfurt or maybe LAX or something.

E: wow I was way off about Frankfurt. I guess European traffic is fairly dispersed.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

The busiest passenger airport in the world is Atlanta? I find that astonishing honestly, if only because I've flown to the southern us a few times and don't think I've ever gone through it.

My money would have been on Frankfurt or maybe LAX or something.

E: wow I was way off about Frankfurt. I guess European traffic is fairly dispersed.

It's because it is the omnihub. 2/3 of passengers at ATL are only there to connect another flight.

https://www.flightconnections.com/flights-from-atlanta-atl

quote:

Atlanta's Jackson-Hartfield Airport has been the busiest airport for many years with 92.2M domestic passengers in 2018, but as the centerpiece of Delta's entire flight network 57.9M of those passengers were using the airport to connect to their final destination while only 34.3M were Origin & Destination (O&D) Passengers, meaning they began or ended their trip at ATL. While Atlanta and surrounding areas generate lots of passengers for the airport, the fact that Delta chooses to have their largest hub in Georgia is the main reason that Atlanta is always the busiest airport. If we removed all connecting passengers and only looked O&D Passengers for an airport, LAX (plus ORD, DEN, LAS, and MCO) passes ATL as serving the most domestic passengers.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 29, 2023

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Atlanta is close--about 350 miles--to the median point of US population. It's the 8th largest metro area in the US, the largest in the Southeast (edging out Miami), and it has one big airport instead of several smaller ones. It also has relatively good weather and so doesn't have to shut down as often as some other cities.

Chicago is the only top 10 metro area which is closer to the median point and it also is a major airline hub, but it has two airports and is closed more frequently for snow/wind.

e: you may also note that the two biggest US cargo hubs, Memphis (FedEx) and Louisville (UPS) are also near this point. The defunct Airborne Express also had its hub operation nearby in Wilmington, Ohio. That's not by accident.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 29, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Atlanta is one of the best run airports in the world when it comes to air traffic. It runs so smoothly that other airports of similar size (Denver and ohare) seem like they're run by morons. LAX is run pretty well too, but drat my kingdom for a ramp frequency there jeez

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ATL is the only big airport in the US I don't despise.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
since i fly delta i end up in Atlanta a lot and everything seems very well run.

anyways, a sikorsky s58 was doing lift ops today in my city. not my pic.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ancient Atlanta was more than just a Delta hub, it was a vibrant metropolis: the equal of Paris, or New York.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

:same:

From Dallas, Atlanta is like, 90% the way towards wherever I'm going. Going to Miami it's always cheapest to just fly direct on American

I'm much more likely to have a layover in Charlotte or Newark

Delta is always more expensive too, which doesn't help

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Hadlock posted:

From Dallas
Ok now do a city which isn’t the primary hub for another major airline

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

longview posted:

What is this parody of a plane I saw at the Virgin hangar at LHR yesterday?

I've seen these types of things used also for jetway/parking/towing testing or training.
My work has a 737 portion used sometimes for stuff like that.
https://goo.gl/maps/Du1rNjQzXsza32xs5

here's one at Seatac
https://goo.gl/maps/T5Lbj8kgSZAMnjLY9

found this pic of it for fire training
https://www.portseattle.org/images/port-seattle-fire-department-photos

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 30, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

standard.deviant posted:

Ok now do a city which isn’t the primary hub for another major airline

For trying to go any drat where from Birmingham you’re about guaranteed to touch down in ATL something like 20 minutes after you first take off. My folks did manage to bag a direct from BHM to CLT the other year so things may be getting a bit better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Many men cannot find that one.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Warbird posted:

For trying to go any drat where from Birmingham you’re about guaranteed to touch down in ATL something like 20 minutes after you first take off. My folks did manage to bag a direct from BHM to CLT the other year so things may be getting a bit better.

Feel free to skip to 2:20, but the setup is entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPj0Q-gTOo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Vols line was was funnier before this last year.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

`Nemesis posted:

I've had good luck with Delta, but you can't trust any airline to not gently caress you over at the worst time

:hmmyes:

To their credit, the flight and cabin crew (and they were the same crew for the flight the next morning, so many laughs were had) were wonderful, and really did everything in their power to help. It was once we deplaned for the last time in SLC and had to deal with the gate agents and baggage people there that the wheels came off the bus.

poo poo happens, but how a company reacts to that kind of thing is honestly a better show of who they are than normal ops, imo.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guys, I present the Plimp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfXljWrKUW4

Looks cool, may be functional

To steal a quote from the CEO, this type of flying is plummet-proof

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 30, 2023

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Many men cannot find that one.

vectors to little rock airport pls

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Descend and orbit
EXPEDITE
EXPEDITE
You were not cleared for arrival

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Air dropping pilk over unsuspecting citizens with my plimp

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

since i fly delta i end up in Atlanta a lot and everything seems very well run.

anyways, a sikorsky s58 was doing lift ops today in my city. not my pic.

So here's something I discovered when I photographed N589S a while back: in a past life, she was used to transport Isabel Peron to safety during a coup in Argentina:

https://www.helis.com/database/cn/13491/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'd imagine the certification process to fly one of these would be exceptionally long and grueling, even compared to a normal PPL.

'Cause Plimpin' ain't easy.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Elviscat posted:

I'd imagine the certification process to fly one of these would be exceptionally long and grueling, even compared to a normal PPL.

'Cause Plimpin' ain't easy.

:dadjoke:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's petty, but that CEO's tie knot and alignment looks like poo poo. The videographer or whoever did him dirty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
seriously ohare is the worst large airport in america by far

how the gently caress can there be so much taxiing

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I’ll take O’Hare over Dulles any day.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Really? Every time I go to Dulles it's dead as hell. Ez in and out it's great

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nothing is worse than that runway at AMS that requires a road trip.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

Really? Every time I go to Dulles it's dead as hell. Ez in and out it's great

I find the Dulles experience to be absolute misery. The mobile lounges should've stayed in the 1960s.

I've only gotten hosed with taxiing at O'Hare when getting held for gate clearance on international arrivals.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Full Collapse posted:

I find the Dulles experience to be absolute misery. The mobile lounges should've stayed in the 1960s.

I've only gotten hosed with taxiing at O'Hare when getting held for gate clearance on international arrivals.

I don’t think that most flights through Dulles require someone to use the people movers. If you’re willing to walk I think that you can avoid them altogether, actually.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
At JFK the shuttle bus I was on nearly collided with a taxiing plane. That awful airport has always been an overstuffed nightmare every time I’ve flown through it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Freaquency posted:

I don’t think that most flights through Dulles require someone to use the people movers. If you’re willing to walk I think that you can avoid them altogether, actually.

I indeed walk the full length of C-D to avoid the people movers. :v:

Dulles' tram is...fine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

hobbesmaster posted:

Nothing is worse than that runway at AMS that requires a road trip.

i just looked up the runway map and wow, that is out there

STL has a similar runway out to nowhere where you'd better pray the winds let you land in the direction facing the terminal, but that's nothing compared to AMS.

also i'm researching setting up my own ads-b receiver and, just to be clear, I could use flightradar24's software and feed flightaware or vice versa right? my initial goal is a localhost map for 'what am I picking up/what is over my house' and I'll choose what services to send data to, if any, later -- but I want to make sure I don't lock myself in at the start.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Freaquency posted:

Kinda, though they cheaped out on the tram so it doesn't go to D concourse so it's the bus or walking from C. That airport loving sucks and I lust for its destruction.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Psion posted:

i just looked up the runway map and wow, that is out there

STL has a similar runway out to nowhere where you'd better pray the winds let you land in the direction facing the terminal, but that's nothing compared to AMS.

also i'm researching setting up my own ads-b receiver and, just to be clear, I could use flightradar24's software and feed flightaware or vice versa right? my initial goal is a localhost map for 'what am I picking up/what is over my house' and I'll choose what services to send data to, if any, later -- but I want to make sure I don't lock myself in at the start.

Some of the specific service provided images only feed their own DB, it really depends on what exactly you use. There are good options that can feed all the services at the same time usually.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

I've been wanting to set one up for a while, and this thread has inspired me to finally do it. Tonight I'm going to try the adsbexchange image and feed flightaware and flightradar24 with that. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
anybody ever use opensky-network? seems to be the same sort of idea as adsbexchange before the latter's owner sold out a few weeks ago

there's some big coverage holes over the dakotas but it seems to have a decent view of the sky on the whole

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Midjack posted:

Kinda, though they cheaped out on the tram so it doesn't go to D concourse so it's the bus or walking from C. That airport loving sucks and I lust for its destruction.

Oh, I just walk it like Full Collapse does, but I’m usually about to be on a 4+ hour flight so I don’t mind getting to stretch my legs one last time.

DCA is the better DC-area airport anyway, so if Dulles disappeared I wouldn’t be too broken up about it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Full Collapse posted:

:mods:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Freaquency posted:

International flights sometimes require the people movers.