Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

woke kaczynski posted:

Allegedly pathfinding isn't the biggest FPS hit after all, according to Putnam's latest discoveries.

quote:

The main point I'm getting to is that 1%, 0.687s, is pathfinding. 1%. 1%. I was wrong earlier and I apologize; pathfinding is not a cause of FPS death at all. It is completely irrelevant to the "slow, inevitable" FPS death people complain about.

:grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I made my Captain of the Guard an adamantine mace to administer non-lethal beatings, but he just went up and killed a legendary armorer by punching him in the head :mad:

I double checked and he's carrying the mace around, too. Just didn't use it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

so the drains worked! hurray :toot: downside: at least four dwarves decided to go swimming and then drowned while taking a shortcut or something

Is this just about the only thing i can do to prevent this? short of walling the river off that is. i may even need to do that so drunk dwarves dont fall in, i guess

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just nature taking its course. Don't worry about those fools.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Nosre posted:

I made my Captain of the Guard an adamantine mace to administer non-lethal beatings, but he just went up and killed a legendary armorer by punching him in the head :mad:

I think only the hammerer will use their assigned weapon for punishments. The fortress guard can be given weapons, which they will use if they end up in combat, but they will always use their fists for beatings.

The problem with dwarves is that many of them end up monstrously strong even if they don't actually train martial arts. I've tried having fortress guards who didn't train, but even as amateurs they end up killing visitors convicted of thefts, although steel-clad dwarves are safe.

I've had success with staffing the fortress guard only with humans. They are:

- faster than dwarves and most visitors, meaning they can catch leaving suspects and can interrogate quicker
- so far unable to accidentally kill convicts with beatings when they have no training
- just fine with their regular clothing, meaning that they don't need armor sized for them

A downside is that the guards will put jailed convicts into cages once their sentence is up. Since humans are weaker than dwarves, it takes them ages to empty the jail if they decide to pick up a heavy leaden cage. Stockpiles with lighter cages help.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Speaking of steel-clad dwarves, I wanted to make a fort one of these days where every single adult dwarf is a member of a militia and trains 1-2 months out of the year.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Someone upthread had a bunch of dorms instead of dedicated individual bedrooms and I liked the idea for thematic reasons, but did they assign it as a dorm or assign multiple dwarves to a large bedroom?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don’t think you can designate a room with multiple beds as a bedroom, only a dorm

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Are gremlins still a thing? Is "make a gremlin into your hammerer" the solution?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Benagain posted:

Someone upthread had a bunch of dorms instead of dedicated individual bedrooms and I liked the idea for thematic reasons, but did they assign it as a dorm or assign multiple dwarves to a large bedroom?

That was me and I assign them as dorms. It still seems like overall my dwarves are much happier with dorms than with individual bedrooms - and I am too because I don't have to dig and furnish hundreds of them

e: Seriously - one ~20-30 bed dorm handles all of the sleeping needs of a 200 dwarf fort, somehow. But I tend to add in a few so there's always one nearby.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

wrt pathfinding not being an fps hit, I do think there is a hit when the pathfinding is like, inaccessible but they keep pinging it? I had a fort slow to 5fps because an injured dog had fallen down my stairs into a cavern I hadn't finished building down into yet. Once I built stairs down and it was able to run up into my fort my fps shot back up. That was admittedly a weird edge case though.

But yeah, that's some interesting information. Putnam seems really cool and I'm excited that they have someone else working with the code now. (Putnam is she/they btw, I've seen some people refer to them as a he accidentally! :) )

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Azhais posted:

Putnam mentioned on one of Blind's streams that he was working on threading support, so maybe!

Iirc Putnam uses femenine pronouns friend. There might be a “they” in there as well but don’t quote me on that.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something fundamental, but I think it's wrong to say pathfinding isn't a big deal: afaik pathfinding checks every tile a dwarf has access to, so in a small tidy fort it's no big deal, but if you give your dwarfs the run of the surface + all 3 caverns it's a lot more significant

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I dunno man, the person who is currently employed at Bay12 and working on identifying FPS problems by working directly with the code seems to think that's not the case.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Clocks posted:

wrt pathfinding not being an fps hit, I do think there is a hit when the pathfinding is like, inaccessible but they keep pinging it? I had a fort slow to 5fps because an injured dog had fallen down my stairs into a cavern I hadn't finished building down into yet. Once I built stairs down and it was able to run up into my fort my fps shot back up. That was admittedly a weird edge case though.

But yeah, that's some interesting information. Putnam seems really cool and I'm excited that they have someone else working with the code now. (Putnam is she/they btw, I've seen some people refer to them as a he accidentally! :) )

Yeah they mention this in the OP of that thread

quote:

Pathfinding is slow, yes. It's hilariously slow. The thing is, it doesn't happen often at all. When it does, fortresses drop to sub-single-digit FPS levels. This usually happens because you're using tightly closed doors. Don't do that.

Presumably this applies to when dwarves are stuck as well

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kenning posted:

I dunno man, the person who is currently employed at Bay12 and working on identifying FPS problems by working directly with the code seems to think that's not the case.

I'm just saying, if I unlock all the doors to my caverns my FPS is cut in half. What is that, if not pathfinding?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm just saying, if I unlock all the doors to my caverns my FPS is cut in half. What is that, if not pathfinding?

Putnam would be better suited to answer that question than we would so maybe you should go ask them

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Every step deeper into the abyss they must once again decide if they love all of their acquaintances, individually.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'm not looking for a solution, I'm sharing an anecdote

also, as far as I can tell the "tightly closed" option for doors no longer exists in the Steam release

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Promontory posted:

I think only the hammerer will use their assigned weapon for punishments. The fortress guard can be given weapons, which they will use if they end up in combat, but they will always use their fists for beatings.

Yea, the Captain of the Guard doles out the punishments if you don't have a Hammerer assigned (which I don't), so I figured it would be the same mechanically, but I guess not then

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
If anyone is looking for baby names, allow me to recommend Fuzzy Pumpkinrhymes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm not looking for a solution, I'm sharing an anecdote

also, as far as I can tell the "tightly closed" option for doors no longer exists in the Steam release

It doesn't, it was removed based on Putnam's feedback. They are measuring the time that each part of the code takes to run using profiling tools. They have the only objective perspective on the matter.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

so the drains worked! hurray :toot: downside: at least four dwarves decided to go swimming and then drowned while taking a shortcut or something

Is this just about the only thing i can do to prevent this? short of walling the river off that is. i may even need to do that so drunk dwarves dont fall in, i guess

Make sure to set the (maximum) reduced traffic designation in the canal itself, too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you never reveal the caverns then all the cavern entities don't populate on the Entities -> Other screen. I think the same is true if you reveal them and then seal it off by e.g. building a wall. There are all kinds of ways that could affect performance without involving pathfinding; it seems to me like if your fort has access to the caverns, cavern entities exist and are tracked in various ways (not just pathfinding but LoS, their needs, etc) which hurts FPS. If you have no access to the caverns, none of those entities need to be tracked at all.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I wonder what profiling tools they use.
I can't help but think this would be an excellent use for dtrace, now that it's in Windows.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Found one of those 3x3 magma pits in the first cavern layer. Now I'm thinking... can I make a dump zone and assign some iron minecarts to be dumped in there. Will they all fill up from just one tile of magma? HMMMMM.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
So I decided to breach the caverns of my reclaimed fort:

This explains the constant "something has collapsed!" warnings that were centered underground. Fortunately its just the first cavern, the other two are fine.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I had a Goblin seige show up and ask to parley, so my baron went out to have a chat with them. They were demanding we hand over a legendary amulet one of my dwarves made a few years earlier. An amulet that I assigned the Baron to wear. I like to think he flaunted it in front of them before telling them to get bent.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The funniest thing is that, essentially, their demands come with a threat to kill all of the dwarfs but they don't seem to understand that nothing will kill more dwarfs than the entity in the sky that's designing their bedrooms, waterways, and magma pumps.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well, besides cavern dwellers.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you never reveal the caverns then all the cavern entities don't populate on the Entities -> Other screen. I think the same is true if you reveal them and then seal it off by e.g. building a wall. There are all kinds of ways that could affect performance without involving pathfinding; it seems to me like if your fort has access to the caverns, cavern entities exist and are tracked in various ways (not just pathfinding but LoS, their needs, etc) which hurts FPS. If you have no access to the caverns, none of those entities need to be tracked at all.

Are we sure this is true? I've sealed off my caverns and I get updates to its activity all the time. Mostly in the form of Forgotten beasts who fight each other or genocide the caverns of life (fire breathers are the worst). I'll even get "you've struck black diamond!" and such when I dig near a gem pillar, even when there's no way for my dwarves to see or access it.

Zeruel posted:

This explains the constant "something has collapsed!" warnings that were centered underground. Fortunately its just the first cavern, the other two are fine.

Finish the job. :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not 100% sure if sealing them up works the same way (I avoid opening them in the first place because of the hit to fps), but if you never reveal them you definitely won't get any notices about forgotten beasts or cavern invaders or anything

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I'm not 100% sure if sealing them up works the same way (I avoid opening them in the first place because of the hit to fps), but if you never reveal them you definitely won't get any notices about forgotten beasts or cavern invaders or anything

How are you avoiding them? DFhack? Farm plot exploit?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Update: gave it a go and flooded the base again

:sigh:

that's as close as it would let me carve to the edge, unless that's not what the OP meant. worst case is i tunnel south and then back west to dump it back into the river

someone else has probably answered you but I'm not at the most recent page.

instead of building fortifications, you smooth the final layer of rock from the edge then carve fortifications into it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Are there any materials that make for better armour than steel - aside from the obvious divine metal/adamantite? Like how if you get lucky and get an artifact platinum hammer those make for really, really, good hammers.

Technical Analysis posted:

I had a Goblin seige show up and ask to parley, so my baron went out to have a chat with them. They were demanding we hand over a legendary amulet one of my dwarves made a few years earlier. An amulet that I assigned the Baron to wear. I like to think he flaunted it in front of them before telling them to get bent.

I always say yes to Parleys, wait for the goblins to line up nice and neat; then send my army to race out ahead of the baron to slaughter them all.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

How are you avoiding them? DFhack? Farm plot exploit?

I just set the first cavern layer to be 100+ z-levels down in world gen and deal with not having magma :shrug:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I can definitely say that sealing them up does not prevent them from spawning.

These are kinda cute though

(edit): and yeah there's a shitload of forgotten beasts wandering on and off the map down there all the time

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

I just set the first cavern layer to be 100+ z-levels down in world gen and deal with not having magma :shrug:

If you really don't want to deal with the caverns you can set the number of cavern layers to 0 in world gen. Possibly this messes around with things and makes it so that cavern stuff is unavailable in the whole game? So maybe no silk for example.

You can also just tunnel through them without revealing them if you check with the farm plot and maybe a save or two.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hi folks!

DONT DESIGNATE A GIGANTIC PLANT GATHER ZONE THE SIZE OF YOUR MAP. This generates a ton of jobs that wont ever go away til they're done, even if the zone is cancelled. the only way to get rid of all your dwarves gathering plants forever is to disable plant gathering. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

One of the first things I normally do is assign 1-2 herbalists and set them as the only ones can go gathering stuff

Also, I have a well designated as a water source, and yet I keep getting warnings that Urist McFuckhead is canceling task: drink dangerous terrain because he’s trying to drink from the river at the edge of the map way outside the fort instead of drinking some gd water from the well next to the water fall