Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Frosted Flake posted:

This is all Austria-Hungary's fault for creating Ukrainians though.

I'm slowly turning into Farrakhan but about Maria Theresa, the Partition of Poland and liturgical languages instead of Yakub.

Your career and personal financial situation would probably advance massively if you started telling people Galicia is the true Ukraine and how great Galician culture is and non-Galician Ukrainians are too polluted by Russian\Mongol genes past imperialism.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Why do you even need to join NATO if you're in the EU? You're already in a defensive pact, I genuinely don't get it

It's the Cool Guys Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

I think we should say envelopment instead of encirclement as the latter is prone to many arguments

Come on. Nobody would pick such an asinine point to derail a thread and argue over. There's such little gain in that it would be pointless for anyone to do this.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Okay, I’ll post later when I’m not outside. but it will probably just point out that I think Russians can count and Ardennes didn’t provide any evidence that they lied to their people and/or accidentally recruit 50k extras.

ill bet he lied about it to make sure you were still paying attention

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

DancingShade posted:

This but the background is also clearly the beach of a tropical island.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lollontee posted:

the whole point of joining NATO together with sweden or not at all was the implicit strategic necessity of a land supply route through sweden in the event of a war with russia. this is so stupid i am actually beyond words to describe this. so we are simply planning on aggravating russia for lulz i guess. strategic pinecone thinking

this is a reasonable objection if one assumes that the point of NATO membership was to defend finnish territory in the event of a general war. that is a fiction of the early phase where the powers that be wanted to assure everyone that there would be no consequences so the debate could settle. now the question is decided, so such justifications become retroactively unnecessary

it's incredibly infuriating

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's still also annoying me that nobody seems to have picked up on the rather obvious idea that, if the first goal of a security arrangement is to avoid a serious war, then the NATO-based security arrangement for europe has failed spectacularly! doubling down doesn't seem like the obvious move under these circumstances!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Now that the security arrangement failed there's no other choice but to go to war.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

obscene

https://twitter.com/powerusaid/status/1620444806404263936

www:tinfoil:usaid:tinfoil:gov news-information/press-releases/jan-30-2023-administrator-samantha-power-meeting-with-michael-froman-vice-chairman-and-president-of-strategic-growth-at-mastercard

quote:

USAID Administrator Samantha Power’s Meeting with Michael Froman, Vice Chairman and President of Strategic Growth at Mastercard
Monday, January 30, 2023

The below is attributable to Spokesperson Jessica Jennings:‎

Today, Administrator Samantha Power met with Ambassador Michael Froman, Vice Chairman and President of Strategic Growth at Mastercard, to identify additional opportunities to collaborate and deepen the USAID-Mastercard Partnership. The two reviewed Ukraine’s technological modernization efforts that have established the country as a digital trailblazer in Europe, and discussed how the two organizations can work together to enable other countries to make similar strides in e-governance; they also explored ways to support Ukraine’s broader economy.

The two discussed joint efforts to increase digital inclusion, especially for farmers, through Mastercard’s Community Pass platform. They also discussed how to unlock private capital toward pressing development challenges, including through partnership with the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation. In particular, they took stock of the recent successes from a shared effort with the DFC to provide credit to women-owned SMEs in India, as well as the USAID-supported Project Kirana, and discussed opportunities to replicate these models in other geographies and sectors.

:d2a:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

it's still also annoying me that nobody seems to have picked up on the rather obvious idea that, if the first goal of a security arrangement is to avoid a serious war, then the NATO-based security arrangement for europe has failed spectacularly! doubling down doesn't seem like the obvious move under these circumstances!

Maybe NATO in the end was simply a project to utilize the resources and territory of Europe as the US saw fit regardless of their own security?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its almost like nato is actually a system to facilitate the collection of tribute and provide a ready pool of auxiliaries for us imperial adventures :thunk:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

nato was supposed to keep germany down :doh:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Seems to be working perfectly then what's the problem.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ukraine needs to do another offensive, the Russians are feeling themselves a bit too much.

The past week it's all been internal slap fights. Prigozhin versus Girkin, what really happened at Slavyansk. What should the city streets be renamed to. Already done with fighting Ukraine and moved on to fighting each other again.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thats what the tanks are for (which wont be there in months if at all)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Ukraine needs to do another offensive, the Russians are feeling themselves a bit too much.

The past week it's all been internal slap fights. Prigozhin versus Girkin, what really happened at Slavyansk. What should the city streets be renamed to. Already done with fighting Ukraine and moved on to fighting each other again.

I doubt Grikin is going to get along with anyone at this point tbh.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats what the tanks are for (which wont be there in months if at all)

i'm ~90% sure that ukrainian tank crews have been training in sponsor countries

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-64338677

quote:

The family says that Tarimo, who had ambitions to be an MP with the opposition Chadema party, had been in Moscow as an ICT master's student at the Russian Technological University. But he was then imprisoned some time after January 2021 for what were described as drugs-related offences.

Last year, he was enticed with a deal: sign up and be pardoned or stay in prison.

:whitewater:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

two mlmp posts in a row is the worst thing I could possibly see in this thread, including snuff videos posted by psycho Ukrainiacs

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

two mlmp posts in a row is the worst thing I could possibly see in this thread, including snuff videos posted by psycho Ukrainiacs

Just wait til I gently caress up quote != edit a few times

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

If they sent him to Ukraine putin would surrender overnight

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

:hmmyes: the one facing norway

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

V. Illych L. posted:

Presumably the goal is simply to avoid war in ones own country.

Why do you even need to join NATO if you're in the EU? You're already in a defensive pact, I genuinely don't get it

Who want's to rely on Poland for their security?

mawarannahr posted:

Finland + Türkiyeah enjoy Ugric kinship

Finland should apply for observer status at the Organization of Turkic States like Hungary.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah the EU gave up on a EU army and the only countries that had armies worth anything anyway were the UK and France

The UK left and has also let its military rot so it's just France now

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

the truly infuriating part of all this is that paludan has to get permission from police for these gatherings, they could easily just say "no not there its suspiciously similar to incitement to violence/provocation, do it somewhere else" as the places hes gone and done it has always been very near centers with "high" muslim residence

but i mean thats the point, police wanted to crack some heads and they got what they wanted

only good part about it was all the near-tears police who got spooked by having a rock land near them. edit; also the part where it might make us never be allowed to join nato is good as well i guess but who dares to hope at this point

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Jan 31, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Anders Östlund - Ї
@andersostlund
Swede by birth, European by choice.
Live in Kyiv but is temporarily abroad. Non resident fellow at
@cepa
I try to reply to comments but time is a constraint.

"Temporarily abroad", fighting the good fight on twitter instead of the frontlines.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

erdogan should demand that all of finland converts to islam

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

yellowcar posted:

erdogan should demand that all of finland converts to islam

It's essential for the upcoming Finno-Korean Hyperwar, OP.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Finns: is this real?
https://twitter.com/falconed62/status/1600703373207998466

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

only good part about it was all the near-tears police who got spooked by having a rock land near them. edit; also the part where it might make us never be allowed to join nato is good as well i guess but who dares to hope at this point

if that lard-brained nazi pedo keeps us out of nato for realsies i’m nominating him for an honorary nobel peace prize

also it’s been extremely amusing to watch the same people who’ve been going on for years about how pissing of muslims is an inalienable, god-given human right flail helplessly when they realize it might backfire to the extent that their life-long dream of being subjugated by american empire might never happen

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm ~90% sure that ukrainian tank crews have been training in sponsor countries

Gonna be great for the people that get to crew the 20 tanks in the coming months. No so much forbthe 20 rifle battalions with two magazines and a dream

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

Who want's to rely on Poland for their security?

You get the whole gang together if you're invaded + nukes due to France. I genuinely don't know what I'm missing here

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how many days a modern MBT can function without a logistics train and a green crew.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

You get the whole gang together if you're invaded + nukes due to France. I genuinely don't know what I'm missing here

the french have a nationally oriented nuclear doctrine. they'll only break out their nukes in an extreme case where the sovereignty of france itself is threatened.

but yeah, the only thing that NATO offers which the EU doesn't in terms of military stuff is america and its wannabes. the entire discourse around this stuff is excessively stupid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

I wonder how many days a modern MBT can function without a logistics train and a green crew.

A high mileage, high hours, only just holding together mbt being driven across a particularly grim corner of eastern europe

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Starsfan posted:

It's quite interesting to debate over whether this is true or whether the Minsk treaties were signed in good faith but now various politicians who were involved in the signing in 2014 (which have now become very unpopular in Ukraine and elsewhere) are trying to retroactively justify how they were actually brilliant strategists who foresaw this war from almost a decade back and thanks to them Ukraine has a fighting chance.

On one hand I can totally see the NATO powers never having any intention of a peaceful resolution of the differences between Ukraine and Russia. On the other hand these politicians would totally lie and claim that they had done something for the opposite reasons of their previous public statements if they believed the new statements are what will make them popular and salvage their legacy.

**as people pointed out in the twitter comments if their intention was to use the 8 years to prepare for a war they did an awful job by any metric other than building defensive fieldworks and fortifications in the Donbas region. Ukraine was so disorganized at the start of the conflict they let the Russians just walk into Kherson without blowing the bridges, they let their Nazi force get completely cut off and surrounded in Mariupol and they had built up seemingly no stockpiles of munitions at all since they were instantly begging for supplies from the west despite claiming to be outgunned 10 to 1.. Seems like Russia was the one that prepared in the 8 years if anything.

the west has spent decades and decades pretending to be pro peace but continuously have started or coaxed on wars and violence. nothing about the public statements made when signing vs today seems unusual.

and just because they spent 8 years building up a country doesn’t mean they’ll become an unstoppable machine capable of defeating the entire world. it was one of the poorest countries on earth who just had its entire navy move to Russia.

America has a defense budget > 5x ukraines entire economy and their propped up government in Afghanistan fell 20 minutes after they spent 20 years putting them in power

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
NATO offers one large thing: an excuse to degrade and neglect one's own national military because you think everyone else will pick up the slack. You can then happily grift away with the savings.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

DancingShade posted:

NATO offers one large thing: an excuse to degrade and neglect one's own national military because you think everyone else will pick up the slack. You can then happily grift away with the savings.

right, this is also true. finland having a large army is an unnecessary burden. keeping a hundred thousand reservists under arms and mobilisable consumes resources which can and should go to ex-officer consultants and buying f-35 aircraft

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vomik posted:

the west has spent decades and decades pretending to be pro peace but continuously have started or coaxed on wars and violence. nothing about the public statements made when signing vs today seems unusual.

and just because they spent 8 years building up a country doesn’t mean they’ll become an unstoppable machine capable of defeating the entire world. it was one of the poorest countries on earth who just had its entire navy move to Russia.

America has a defense budget > 5x ukraines entire economy and their propped up government in Afghanistan fell 20 minutes after they spent 20 years putting them in power

they don’t even support the remnants of their propped up government, who are now pleading for healthcare and money from wealthier nations as India

https://twitter.com/rferl/status/1620397232775380992

quote:

. . .
Behzad said he and other Afghan military officers initially funded Zahir’s treatment. Despite repeated requests to Indian officials, no help arrived. By the time the authorities sent Zahir to an Indian military hospital, it was too late. He died just a week later, Behzad said.

"We all contributed to arranging his funeral and sending him back to be buried in our homeland," said Behzad, who also resides in New Delhi.

Zahir’s death has put a spotlight on the plight of the scores of former Afghan military personnel who remain stranded in India, some 16 months after the internationally recognized Afghan government collapsed and the Taliban seized power in Afghanistan.

. . .
As a longtime friend of the Afghan people, India should provide us with material support until the situation in Afghanistan changes."
. . .
Many former Afghan military personnel are on temporary visas and ineligible to work or receive government help. Some have been offered one-year military courses.

Behzad said India should follow the example of Western countries that have granted asylum or agreed to resettle former Afghan military personnel to third countries.

"As a longtime friend of the Afghan people, India should provide us with material support until the situation in Afghanistan changes," he said, referring to Kabul’s close historic relations with New Delhi.
. . .

personally I’d take that as a warning if I read it on Radio Free Europe (weirdly this story is not in radio free Asia)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mawarannahr posted:

they don’t even support the remnants of their propped up government, who are now pleading for healthcare and money from wealthier nations as India

https://twitter.com/rferl/status/1620397232775380992

personally I’d take that as a warning if I read it on Radio Free Europe (weirdly this story is not in radio free Asia)

does Afghanistan even have an official “government in exile”?? what situation are these people expecting to change? drat that’s hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

right, this is also true. finland having a large army is an unnecessary burden. keeping a hundred thousand reservists under arms and mobilisable consumes resources which can and should go to ex-officer consultants and buying f-35 aircraft

Australia's military is designed entirely to be the token ally who happily deploys a tiny force along the USA like a well trained puppy so they can claim a coalition of the willing or alliance of the free. Might only be a hundred deployed or a token asset or two but it's the optics. So everything need to be interoperable and supportable in field by USA logistics (god knows we can't do it). Also it has no endurance because it only needs to last long enough to ring the boss and cry out for help. Realistically speaking it doesn't expect to be in a fight that lasts more than a week tops and frankly you would probably run out of things to shoot at on day 2.

Enjoy this vision of the future, everyone can share it.