Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does anyone have a hot build for getting through sector 18 in space idle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think it got mentioned upthread but yeah, what's the deal with briefly tabbing away from unnamed space idler and coming back to hilarious quantities of void matter

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think it got mentioned upthread but yeah, what's the deal with briefly tabbing away from unnamed space idler and coming back to hilarious quantities of void matter

I have no idea but until it's fixed I will definitely be doing it deliberately at the start of every run to buy shitloads of Compute and then max out my reactor inputs and ignore void energy altogether for the entire rest of the run

tbqh it feels a lot better that way :v:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i wonder if it goes based on what your void matter per second is at when you tab away. like that specific number is weird because void matter comes in fits and starts, so it alternates between being way higher than your actual real void matter per second the instant after you kill an enemy and it updates, and then lower than your real number just before you kill the next enemy. if it takes one of the higher numbers as your real number when it tabs away then that would give you a lot of void matter

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

habituallyred posted:

I'll swear up and down that this is caused by idling with the "void orb" buff up, or whatever its called.

Which would track with the ridiculous gains being tied to void per second.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
As a random PSA, the Base Block that multiplies adjacents stacks. So, this alignment was like 150% of what I was getting with just the 1 multiplier at the location that hit 4x.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

As a random PSA, the Base Block that multiplies adjacents stacks. So, this alignment was like 150% of what I was getting with just the 1 multiplier at the location that hit 4x.

Invert the blues and every green but the top-left one and it's even better!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I've just been sticking a red up there until I get the one under it to keep a small trickle of income so when I want to cash in at the end of a run I don't have to wait as long.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Invert the blues and every green but the top-left one and it's even better!

Like this? I'll be damned, that is better but I cant figure out why

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

They stack multiplicatively

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Blue is multiplier, not green :V

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

They stack multiplicatively

Yeah that's what I hadn't considered. Well thanks for the heads up!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Speaking of wonky offline mechanics, scrap doesn't spawn when you're offline. Which I'm pretty sure means that you'll always get way more salvage online than offline (assuming you're running Salvage Shard and Auto-Salvage).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arzaac posted:

Speaking of wonky offline mechanics, scrap doesn't spawn when you're offline. Which I'm pretty sure means that you'll always get way more salvage online than offline (assuming you're running Salvage Shard and Auto-Salvage).
it's the opposite of void energy! that's what we call balance :eng101:

(kidding, but you're not wrong about scrap not spawning when offline)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
When do you get auto salvage?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

When do you get auto salvage?

End of T2, Level 7 automation but it never really felt wroth the mod slot at any point until I was starting to work on T3 mods and finishing up T2.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

End of T2, Level 7 automation but it never really felt wroth the mod slot at any point until I was starting to work on T3 mods and finishing up T2.
honestly, I'm like mid t2 (not infinite on anything yet or anything) and the instant I spent 1250 points on my sixth module slot I realized there really isn't anything else to fulltime

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Note for Space Idle: Flex Shard III (and presumably II, wherever that one is) changes out some effects, and puts old ones in new slots.
Still can't equip different Flex shards at the same time, but it might matter depending on what you have/want at the time.

So, while it usually should be fine to throw old shards out when the new version pops up, maybe check if the new one has different slots beforehand.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Eh, at least with Flex Shard 1 to 3 I don't think there's really a reason to keep 1. Synth Speed gets moved, but that's 100% upside because now it no longer conflicts with the Synth Shard. You do lose the void matter drop rate, but I mean, c'mon. You should never be hurting for void matter enough for that 25% drop rate to matter.

It might be something worthwhile to keep in mind for higher tiers, but as of right now it seems like it mostly phases out useless stuff.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Arzaac posted:

That's really annoying considering it only stays 'online' if you're actively in the tab.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I don't think I've ever had Flex Shard equipped at all, it always seems inferior or non-battle so it just sits down there... maybe I'm missing it's potential?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've found Flex Shard 3 useful for a number of reasons:
  • Increasing shard drop rate (as no other shard does that)
  • Stacking with the research shard for even higher bonuses (doesn't work very well for material research, for obvious reasons)
  • Stacking with Synth shard for strong synth
  • Kinda useful in the blue slot, when you don't have compute shard 4 yet and don't need the extra damage from running Battle Shard or Damage Target there
It's not really a shard you run 24/7, but when you're trying to do something extremely specific.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

How do you all like to spec your weapons? Im in sector 17 running two beams and a regular laser. Beams are all specced top row because I assume that's all best for generalist damage, and the regular laser is full specced to buff the beams. I'm running one of each shield and taking speed recharge on the continuous shield, and max shield increases on the bulk. But I have no idea what the math is like and I'm bad at understanding what's going on in the battles.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

For regular laser, full spec to buff the beams works fantastic. For the Beams...I honestly don't know! Their "best" DPS is taking just Mass Focuser and everything else on the top, but that makes the rampup time so long they'll never hit max. I think maybe something like taking both Concentrated Beams alongside the Mass Focuser might work better? It is difficult to say.

Honestly for the shields, my opinion is typically just go for high regen on normal enemies, and high max shield on bosses.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Like to go with two full support laser cannons with a pure damage (+Laser Boost power) beam.
The cannons bring laser boost's cooldown low enough to keep it on all the time, + dual supportive routing gives the one beam cannon a hefty damage boost.
Ends up with the beam not needing to wind up against weaker opponents, and packing a wallop against bosses.
Sidenote: Don't run Laser Boost when the cooldown is negative. Gets stuck and had to refresh to fix it

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Arzaac posted:

One your Cores screen there should be a button for each weapon to adjust target priorities: in there you should be able to ensure your hard-hitting weapons only go after the highest HP targets, or whatever else you want.

I don't seem to have this button. I haven't made it past sector 11 yet though.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I can't get past sector 19. The advanced synth thing is nice now that I finally got it, but I'm not sure it's actually helping me progress.

Anyone have any broad advice or builds for like... getting further? My prestige base progress has stalled out a bit.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I can't get past sector 19. The advanced synth thing is nice now that I finally got it, but I'm not sure it's actually helping me progress.

Anyone have any broad advice or builds for like... getting further? My prestige base progress has stalled out a bit.

When I unlocked advanced synth I basically spent a day grinding out enough synths to break into T3 and getting T3 damage upgrade to level 4 was enough to push me to a reset and getting back again got me the defense side unlocked for T3 and things are starting to smooth out.

I have the feeling every 10 levels are intended to be a tier so level 20 is the start of Tier 3. Things might fall out of sync I'm talking abut right where I as like 8 hours ago.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZZT the Fifth posted:

In no particular order, just what pops into my head:
Prestige base progress overnight might just be the answer
(I just finished 23 and my multiplier is at 3000x from 2.14e9 components although obviously that's higher than you need)
or the 2e9 box upgrade for tier 2 weapons/shields, that gives you some punching power
the 2e9 upgrade for "retrofitting" lets you start with a computer lab, buy a bunch of compute power, then swap to synth lab, but that actually didn't get me much further than just doing synth lab itself

breaking into T3 materials and the accompanying modules nearly doubles everything (on tier up, weapon/shield mult goes 11 -> 21 then 101 -> 201) so advanced synth does end up paying off once you get it to 40 for "output +1"
you can also use it to finish off tier 2's quantity to infinite and spend those synth points on stuff to push

is your Battle Shard 3 maxed from sector 15? 4 doesn't start dropping until 21, so you don't have that yet.

what's your reactor setup looking like? when you're pushing you want weapons/shields but when not you probably want synth speed/research or synth/salvage (for now, once you get 3 running before penalty you can do more obviously)
might want to do a deep push on max VP (module and shard setup) to upgrade your total reactor capabilities, and also if you have the capacity to do reactor effect multipliers now which I think you do you can push those too?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

what's your reactor setup looking like? when you're pushing you want weapons/shields but when not you probably want synth speed/research or synth/salvage (for now, once you get 3 running before penalty you can do more obviously)
might want to do a deep push on max VP (module and shard setup) to upgrade your total reactor capabilities, and also if you have the capacity to do reactor effect multipliers now which I think you do you can push those too?

If you are sitting at the computer you can just overload the reactor, it's 2x to run +1 and 3x to run +2 but it's not that bad if you have void power mod active you should be able to handle it no problem. This lets you idle at a higher sector making the bonus ones worth all the more.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

well, lost my password for space idle, guess i lost the cookie or whatever, and there's no password recovery, so guess i'm done playing that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nea posted:

well, lost my password for space idle, guess i lost the cookie or whatever, and there's no password recovery, so guess i'm done playing that.

Poke the dev on discord if you know the account name they'll probably just send you the file. Unless you want to be done that's fine. It's pretty early and still in the I feel like there's save eating bugs lurking. Wouldn't hurt to let the game cook for a few months and come back.

By poke I mean just post in bug what you want and wait and see if you get a reply I guess you could DM, but that discord is so slow.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

If you are sitting at the computer you can just overload the reactor, it's 2x to run +1 and 3x to run +2 but it's not that bad if you have void power mod active you should be able to handle it no problem. This lets you idle at a higher sector making the bonus ones worth all the more.
yeah this is definitely worth pointing out too, good call - I'm at 3 without overload and running 5 full-time with the void power module while afk (and can do 6 with a few fewer levels while I'm paying attention)

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

pixaal posted:

Poke the dev on discord if you know the account name they'll probably just send you the file. Unless you want to be done that's fine. It's pretty early and still in the I feel like there's save eating bugs lurking. Wouldn't hurt to let the game cook for a few months and come back.

By poke I mean just post in bug what you want and wait and see if you get a reply I guess you could DM, but that discord is so slow.

That doesn't seem like it's very safe, information wise. I might still, but we'll see.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nea posted:

That doesn't seem like it's very safe, information wise. I might still, but we'll see.

It's a random game why do you care if anyone at all could request your save? For that matter what makes you think this password isn't stored as plain text?

When I make an account like this I assume the password is sitting on a server and anyone jackass can go get it along with a username so better make both fine for that. The game save file contains zero personal info. Unless it's tracking the last saved path then they get your windows user name (I don't think Idle Space is tracking anything like this from what I see)

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 1, 2023

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

This ordeal did make me consider that, yes.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Prestige base progress overnight might just be the answer
(I just finished 23 and my multiplier is at 3000x from 2.14e9 components although obviously that's higher than you need)

How?! I only have 2.38e6 battle components...

quote:

or the 2e9 box upgrade for tier 2 weapons/shields, that gives you some punching power
the 2e9 upgrade for "retrofitting" lets you start with a computer lab, buy a bunch of compute power, then swap to synth lab, but that actually didn't get me much further than just doing synth lab itself
Not there yet. Haven't even gotten to the 6e8 threshold for the two base spaces that require it.

quote:

breaking into T3 materials and the accompanying modules nearly doubles everything (on tier up, weapon/shield mult goes 11 -> 21 then 101 -> 201) so advanced synth does end up paying off once you get it to 40 for "output +1"
you can also use it to finish off tier 2's quantity to infinite and spend those synth points on stuff to push

I've done/am doing that already, but in this run I haven't even made it into sector 19 despite having level 3 reactor boosts to damage and shields. I worry it might be because I don't have the Computer power from the Advanced Computing.

quote:

is your Battle Shard 3 maxed from sector 15? 4 doesn't start dropping until 21, so you don't have that yet.

Yes.

quote:

See above. I haven't been able to improve my reactor damage and shield levels beyond 3 yet due to hitting a VP max wall.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

pixaal posted:

Level your void power modules a bit and this gets lucrative; these days I typically have my reactor running with every boost save Engine while I grind, and it's just a matter of adjusting my levels a bit so I don't let myself go negative. This is probably suboptimal but luckily I don't actually care that much

Another thing that has helped a bunch is leaning hard into Synthing bonuses; the jump in tiers is significant, and so focusing some effort on pouring resources into Synthing for a little while can make a big difference in your progression.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I usually leave off shield boost too. I find that while you can't neglect shields, the small bump from the reactor boost doesn't help much. It might get me like an extra 50 distance in a sector?

But I do agree, always be synthing. My red slot is pretty much always filled with the synth shard unless I have a drat good reason not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZZT the Fifth posted:

How?! I only have 2.38e6 battle components...

Not there yet. Haven't even gotten to the 6e8 threshold for the two base spaces that require it.
That's probably a reasonable amount then! The two components get produced at about the same speed (within ~2 orders of magnitude) and I'm saving for the 6e10 spots atm. Assuming you know that the best pattern is to stack the boosters*, there's really nothing you can do beyond waiting.

Trying to think what else... there's the "reach sector 5/11 with the basic ship" achievements for two x1.1 multipliers to damage and shields, but that shouldn't be a night and day. Maybe just literally wait longer for numbers to go up? My runs tend to be at least 16 hours at this point.

edit: yeah my red slot is literally always Synth Shard unless I'm pushing max VP to up reactor tiers

*like this: