Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Somehow less weird than frequent flyer forums talking about Deltalina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Department P.

Mmhmmm.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I've only used Dulles to fly to LA and Hawaii a few times and it was fine. I like parking in the garage that's walking distance from the terminal. Waiting on the daily parking bus at BWI sucks. I didn't even know you could avoid the trams though, I might have to try that (I don't mind walking around in airports, I'm usually pretty lightly packed)

ATL is an efficient airport though. I used to fly through there a lot when I was stationed in Germany and doing Frankfurt -> ATL -> home a few times a year. Never had any issues.

What do people think of Denver? Their newer security setup seems like a nightmare at times. I am also not a fan of off-site rental car places.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DFW is the most easily navigated airport I've been to as a passenger, but shout out to weirdo longboi Detroit A for having to have a train for intra-terminal movement instead of inter-terminal movement. Is there anyplace else that's done that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

DFW is the most easily navigated terminal I've been to as a passenger, but shout out to weirdo longboi Detroit A for having to have a train for intra-terminal movement instead of inter-terminal movement. Is there anyplace else that's done that?

MSP. Well, kinda, if the MSP managers were running DTW there’d be 3 concourses in the A gates with no real separation between them.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

DFW is the most easily navigated airport I've been to as a passenger, but shout out to weirdo longboi Detroit A for having to have a train for intra-terminal movement instead of inter-terminal movement. Is there anyplace else that's done that?

MSP has a tram that runs along the C gates, but technically the last stop is the end of C and the beginning of the A/B gates

e:dammit

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

Sitting at A68, just watching the train go back and forth.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I really appreciate that DFW external doors are labeled to match up with terminal letter and gate number. Flying though SFO is maddening by comparison. How the gently caress do you have two international concourses next to each other and you still have to go through security again to connect

MAD has some absurdly long terminals, the newest one in particular. Never been in an airport before where it was faster to use the elevator than take the escalator

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Psion posted:

also i'm researching setting up my own ads-b receiver and, just to be clear, I could use flightradar24's software and feed flightaware or vice versa right? my initial goal is a localhost map for 'what am I picking up/what is over my house' and I'll choose what services to send data to, if any, later -- but I want to make sure I don't lock myself in at the start.

I really like the adsbx software. It's really easy to feed other services with it. How well it'll keep going after the adsbx sale, we'll see. But it's good for now.

Sapozhnik posted:

anybody ever use opensky-network? seems to be the same sort of idea as adsbexchange before the latter's owner sold out a few weeks ago

there's some big coverage holes over the dakotas but it seems to have a decent view of the sky on the whole

I'm going to try to feed OpenSky and if I could find another receiver or two, I'd feed voice data there and acars to airframes.io

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

hannibal posted:

I've only used Dulles to fly to LA and Hawaii a few times and it was fine. I like parking in the garage that's walking distance from the terminal. Waiting on the daily parking bus at BWI sucks. I didn't even know you could avoid the trams though, I might have to try that (I don't mind walking around in airports, I'm usually pretty lightly packed)

ATL is an efficient airport though. I used to fly through there a lot when I was stationed in Germany and doing Frankfurt -> ATL -> home a few times a year. Never had any issues.

What do people think of Denver? Their newer security setup seems like a nightmare at times. I am also not a fan of off-site rental car places.

I don’t have any problems with DEN (and it’s my home airport and I fly out of it a lot) but I do have Precheck and Clear so I’m usually through security in under 5 minutes. Security lines can build up pretty deep at peak times but from what I understand they still go pretty quickly. The updates they’ve made to the B and C concourses are pretty nice.

I agree with offsite rentals but don’t have to deal with it since I’m parking there. It is nice that both garage and economy parking are within walking distance of the terminal.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

If your hardware can run Docker and if you're any sort of computer toucher, there are various containerized versions of the trackers. I think I'm feeding... 5? ADSBX, FR24, Flight Aware, OpenSky, and RadarBox. A single modern Raspberry Pi should be able to run Docker, so you don't need a bunch of hardware.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh word? I hadn’t considered that but it doesn’t surprise me. I’ve been thinking about moving everything off the ancient Pi2 in my attic besides just the antenna for a bit now and that would be a good excuse to.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

adsb.one , adsb.fi , adsb.lol and theairtraffic.com are all picking up a big part of the adsbx diaspora

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Charlottes C terminal (I think?) is the only one I really hate. Oh, and Dallas Love. You’re never not walking shoulder to shoulder, nut to butt with every other person there.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

seriously ohare is the worst large airport in america by far

how the gently caress can there be so much taxiing

No, sorry, it's Denver by a mile.

Terrible for planespotting, bumpy on the way in, bumpy on the way out, not enough seats, and you're delayed either by storms in spring /summer or snow in fall/winter. Denver International Airport's design and oeuvre was heavily inspired by the last panel in Hieronymus Bosch's "Garden of Earthy Delights"

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

I've been wanting to set one up for a while, and this thread has inspired me to finally do it. Tonight I'm going to try the adsbexchange image and feed flightaware and flightradar24 with that. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've been fiddling with it for over an hour now. Probably 30 minutes to unbox, write the image, boot, and set the WiFi. Then I cannot connect to it when it's on my WiFi. ADSBexchange says it's getting my data, I can see the MAC in my DHCP leases, but I can't connect to my pi locally now. I'll fiddle with it some more later.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Terrible for planespotting, bumpy on the way in, bumpy on the way out, not enough seats, and you're delayed either by storms in spring /summer or snow in fall/winter. Denver International Airport's design and oeuvre was heavily inspired by the last panel in Hieronymus Bosch's "Garden of Earthy Delights"

Never, ever have a connection in Denver after about noon from June through October. There's holding in every gate with diverts everywhere multiple times a day every day.

Don't fly out of Denver after noon during that time period if you have a connection or are time sensitive for something either because your flight either got caught in a ground stop or had to divert to ICT.

I got to see that shitshow in action daily for 5 years.

I think I'll get to fly out of the new MCI terminal in May for work, so that will be cool.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bob A Feet posted:

Charlottes C terminal (I think?) is the only one I really hate. Oh, and Dallas Love. You’re never not walking shoulder to shoulder, nut to butt with every other person there.

On the plus side, DAL *does* have a Whataburger in their food court.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Charlotte has a Shake Shack and a Smashburger, but neither in the middle food court. Just like everything in that airport, you have to hoof it to another zip code.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bob A Feet posted:

Is that the one with the carpet or the one that’s perpetually under construction?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Nothing is worse than that runway at AMS that requires a road trip.

It’s a literal league, three statute miles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Nothing is worse than that runway at AMS that requires a road trip.

imagine wanting to go to the GA terminal and getting assigned 36L lol

nearly a 5 mile taxi as the crow flies, crossing at least three other runways

and imagine doing it at the FAA-condoned taxi speed of "brisk walking pace"

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Easy. "Ground, request air taxi".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but you’ve got that scenic canal crossing.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Easy. "Ground, request air taxi".

There are scheduled passenger flights shorter than that taxi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westray_to_Papa_Westray_flight

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

It’s a literal league, three statute miles.

If/when they add the fifth runway at Dulles, running parallel to the existing 12/30 (creating 12/30 R & L), that's also going to be a pretty long taxi.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ManifunkDestiny posted:

don't care, don't care, don't care, don't care, last thing is annoying. my main objection to DEN is that its in loving Kansas

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I landed that runway once in the 747 and then had a bit of a traffic jam behind us because we taxied pretty slow. ATC was asking us to pick up the speed too lol.

Also never go to the wataburger or the chicken fillet in DAL because they're always crazy busy. Campisi's or dickys bbq are where it's at.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
That WhataB in Love is probably the most efficient one in the world. That line flies. The center-hallway bars and news stands piss me off. Instead of expanding the terminal they just keep cramming poo poo into it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

are you guys tracking the delivery flight for the last 747? Little easter egg in the route
https://flightaware.com/live/flight...Lquvhx3jksXE5BA

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Animal posted:

are you guys tracking the delivery flight for the last 747? Little easter egg in the route

Nice! Long live the queen.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Animal posted:

queen of the skies :patriot:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/DARPA/status/1620843533316902913

Aeronautical? check
Insanity? check.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
somebody get Howard Hughes on the horn

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

Goals include takeoff and land in Sea State 4, sustained on-water operation up to Sea State 5,

Sea State 4 is defined as 1.25 to 2.5 metres (4 ft 1 in to 8 ft 2 in) and state 5 is 2.5 to 4 metres (8 ft 2 in to 13 ft 1 in)

Trying to imagine taking off and landing in 8 ft waves, holy poo poo. Then fill your cargo bay with six an M1A2 tanks

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Do they have that Pontoon C130 flying already?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

This just reminds me of that stupid "Gavin" delivery plane. You know the one.

Also everyt ime I saw that stupid websites models of how it would work, this would start playing in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCDLW7n53A

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

Sea State 4 is defined as 1.25 to 2.5 metres (4 ft 1 in to 8 ft 2 in) and state 5 is 2.5 to 4 metres (8 ft 2 in to 13 ft 1 in)

Trying to imagine taking off and landing in 8 ft waves, holy poo poo. Then fill your cargo bay with six an M1A2 tanks

Yea or emergency landing in them due to an electrical fire or an engine eating some albatross

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hadlock posted:

surfs up, dudes.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Hadlock posted:

What kind of forces are involved when one hull touches down 8 feet before the other?! There are probably a lot of ways I might design a huge sea plane, but I don't think catamaran would be one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It says "Goals include" so I'm not sure if that's strict criteria

The China Clippers of yore had a monohull with two pontoons, both were a fair distance higher than the waterline, I think combined with the righting moment of a structure that massive, probably gave pretty good seafaring capability in up to 3.5' waves, which you'd expect to find nearly anywhere. Hugely wild speculation but I'm guessing they end up with a china clipper looking thing, cargo floor being ~85' long and 15' wide, plus nose and tail. Biplane might not be totally unreasonable to shrink the wingspan and avoid excessive loading forces while beached