Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's the best way to get Anna tome proficiency to reclass into mage

just feed her 500-ish bond fragments to get her bond rank up with micaiah or celica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think Fogato might be my favorite character so far, it’s such a shame that I have to turn this wimpy loser boy archer into the best unit ever because he’s so pathetic he might break down crying at any point instead of him, but I guess that’s what replays are for.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

jimmydalad posted:

I’m tempted to try Halberdier Jean, but build is going to be a huge issue as Lance Knight don’t get Build growths at all.

Halberdier gets a skill that lets them always double with some careful positioning, so at least that can help a bit.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
i'm running halberd jean at the moment and he's been pretty good. bit less durable than i'd like but hits hard

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Staves don't always default to the most injured target, so I have rewound a couple times from Framme deciding to dump some Gatorade on Louis after a level up instead of attending to the numerous wounds of Boucheron or whatever.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Can anyone give me some advice for ch16 maddening? It feels like I can't make any headway because of the water and just keep being drowned in enemy reinforcements before I can get anywhere. And each enemy wave has a level 20 promote for some reason lol

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If I just give everyone on my team dual assist+ won't I end up with a silly amount of bonus chain attack damage?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Reik posted:

If I just give everyone on my team dual assist+ won't I end up with a silly amount of bonus chain attack damage?

If they're all backups, yes.

My first run had 6 backups including a hero. It was very, very reliable to always consider an extra 30~40% damage on anything I attacked.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Arrrthritis posted:

I'd love it if there was a way to play Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn without emulating or shelling out a bunch of money for physical copies.
technically if you have a modded wii/wii u, you can play a GCN/Wii games without them being emulated. You get the :filez: the same way, but it's running on original hardware, which means there's none of the weird hiccups that emulation induces.

The difference is largely academic, and yes, the fact that there's no goddamn virtual console library these days is a loving travesty, but it is technically different! :eng101:

Harrow posted:

Even with time rewinding I still think Classic mode is worth it because it makes you play differently from Casual mode. With Classic mode on, you can't sacrifice a unit for short-term gain, or just keep trucking if someone dies, without permanently losing the ability to deploy them (or, for less story-focused characters, getting them actually killed). Yeah, it's less of a pain in the rear end to not lose anyone with time rewinding, but I still can't play carelessly, and I think that makes the game more fun.
honestly i'm super glad that turnwheel/divine pulse/time crystal is a mechanic now. It has all the benefits of casual (ie: none of my precious babbys die) without the drawbacks (ie: you can fling people into a meat grinder consequence free, which removes any incentive for clever play). Plus it means you don't have to restart the entire map if your favorite character somehow whiffs on a 95% hit rate, then dies to a 3% hit 1% crit chance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the turnwheel mechanic just makes me more likely to play more aggressively and take risks and that's just a more fun way to play Fire Emblem IMO, so it's a great thing for me. Classic mode with time rewinding is ideal for how I want to play.

I mean I also played through Conquest on Hard/Classic and had a blast so I'm not afraid of resetting maps, either, but time rewinding just feels nice to me. I can agree with some other posters that it does lower the tension and yeah, I can see that being kind of deflating at times, but for me the way that it enables me to play in a more fun way without potentially frustrating myself is worth that trade off.

I could see myself doing an iron man no rewind/no reset run of Engage at some point, though. The way it keeps giving you very usable characters at a steady pace throughout the game suggests that it's designed so you can take substantial losses and keep on trucking, and I've never actually done a Fire Emblem iron man before so it could be fun.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 31, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I imagine having "use 7 of your 8 units as suicide bombs" as a valid option at all times would make a lot of otherwise challenging situations really easy to brute force your way through. The rewind mechanic takes a lot of sting out of misplays but it doesn't change the fact that your goal is to get through the chapter with minimal casualties.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Augus posted:

I imagine having "use 7 of your 8 units as suicide bombs" as a valid option at all times would make a lot of otherwise challenging situations really easy to brute force your way through. The rewind mechanic takes a lot of sting out of misplays but it doesn't change the fact that your goal is to get through the chapter with minimal casualties.

This is why I don't play casual mode. It's totally fine if someone does, but it fundamentally changes the way I approach battles. It really gives you the option to just barrel through maps and win by attrition without any careful planning at all. When you don't care if someone dies and there's no risk involved, it kind of changes my own personal attachment to these characters as well. My Kagetsu soloed about 7 wyvern knights in an advanced level 3 or 4 gold skirmish, makes me like him far more since he could have died permanently in that situation.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My early impressions of this game (5 chapters in):

Emblem rings rule, they feel like a more refined version of battalions that's less cluttered to sort through. Engage Abilities in particular are way more fun and interesting than Gambits which always felt kinda flat for me.

The characters largely rule, I still don't like the little kids though.

Removing weapon durability is great, I'm never able to get past the mentality of "but what if I'm WASTING CHARGES I NEED LATER" so removing that entirely feels good.

This game sure loves big boobs. All the characters (male and female) are super pretty in general, I'm kind of surprised they removed paired endings for the NPC's since the characters seem designed with the shipping crowd in mind. Not that I'm complaining.

The plot has been totally bog standard Fire Emblem so far, in a good way. I think starting the game off with the twins really doesn't put the game's best foot forward in terms of the tone and feel of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

This game sure loves big boobs. All the characters (male and female) are super pretty in general, I'm kind of surprised they removed paired endings for the NPC's since the characters seem designed with the shipping crowd in mind. Not that I'm complaining.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Though also that post reminds me, now that I'm towards the end I think I understand why there aren't any paired endings for anyone but Alear.

Late game spoilers obviously: there's a pretty strong theme running through the game about family, and most of the characters who join you do so as part of what's functionally a family unit. They might be blood family (the various royal sibling pairs, or the stewards) or very close friends who are functionally family (the retainers to their royals, for example), and the couple characters who don't join with their family actually struggle a lot with their lack of family. Whether it's Anna missing her family, Kagetsu having run away from his, Yunaka searching for somewhere that will accept her for who she is, Lindon mourning his dead wife, etc.

My guess is that most characters' endings involve them being with their families, whether blood family or family of choice. Pairing them up wouldn't really make sense because that's ultimately not what's important to them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that works for some pairings but some of the supports do have an extremely strong romantic overtone to their a ranks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

that works for some pairings but some of the supports do have an extremely strong romantic overtone to their a ranks

Ah yeah to be fair I haven't seen many non-Alear A-rank support scenes yet, so that could throw a wrench into my reading.

I do wish I could pair up Diamant and Ivy, that just feels narratively appropriate to me.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Lapis is crushing super hard on Alcryst too.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I know I’m a madman. But I made Anna a Hero and Yumeka a Sniper.
My units all finally started hitting lv20 base so getting the advanced class promotions.

I know that due to level changes with how you can just re- second seal for more levels, but imposing a self-restrain rule on my myself where 20/20 level limit is far I’m gonna go.

I’m playing just in hard/classic so that allows room to adjust my choices.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Miftan posted:

Can anyone give me some advice for ch16 maddening? It feels like I can't make any headway because of the water and just keep being drowned in enemy reinforcements before I can get anywhere. And each enemy wave has a level 20 promote for some reason lol

use your warp staves. Ike enables anyone to survive an enemy phase, and once you've triggered the enemies it's easy to move forward and mop them up while still keeping momentum. You don't even need to go *that* fast, you just need to be making progress, instead of hanging around at the edge of enemy formations baiting them. Playing aggressively is, as always, the answer

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
lyn's ring sure does nix a lot of utter terror in certain situations, huh

louis isn't as reliable given he doesn't always no sell everything and can be doing other things (overdrive legendary smash lance here we go) but chloe singlehandedly just did chapter 19 by popping doubles and killing everyone in the enemy phase with a mix of dodges and criting, lord

and the proper engage ability is the semi-useful astral storm, if you lose all the doubles you can just... use it again.

she is definitely the best defensive emblem by a country mile, with sigurd being the best offensive one. byleth on alear for the ultimate rally bot is the only one that comes close

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If Corrin wasn't so busted on Yunaka I think I'd be using her with Lyn constantly. I really really really love the doubles.

I suppose I could put Corrin on Alear and Lyn on Yunaka and just make them the ultimate dodge tank duo.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I think I’m going to try Hero Jean as I have Navarre S and that sounds funny.

Also, I started a Maddening run and just about to get to Chapter 8. Strangely, my MVP unit has been Alfred with Sigurd. He’s bailed me out of so many situations with multi-killing Overdrives while being tanky enough to absorb hits. Considering how terrible he was in my hard playthrough, this is an extremely strange turn of events. I even benched Louis for the mission, which was extremely weird.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Been playing Engage. It's fun! Got to Chapter 8 which means Second Seals and I used one of them to change Anna to a Mage considering her growths. I'm planning to use the remaining two that you can get on Clanne (a Mage while having your Base Growth on Magic being your lowest for your first party member sounds completely questionable) and Jean (with his skill of doubling Class Growths, he deserves a better class than Martial Monk) and while I know I'm gonna let Jean be an Axe-using Class (since I don't have much available), I don't know what to do with Clanne.

Also I frequently give horse poo poo to Vander. No need to explain why since he's benched and all.

PoundofHumanHair
May 28, 2014
Alfred has actually been pretty good on my Hard mode play through. He isn’t a monster, but he tends to get the job done with how hard he can hit.

That said, it’s always good to see the consensus is that Louis is a god.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

I suppose I could put Corrin on Alear and Lyn on Yunaka and just make them the ultimate dodge tank duo.

I did this but with Framme also glued to Alear and they make for an untouchable trio.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

PoundofHumanHair posted:

Alfred has actually been pretty good on my Hard mode play through. He isn’t a monster, but he tends to get the job done with how hard he can hit.

That said, it’s always good to see the consensus is that Louis is a god.

Louis feels similar to Vander in the sense that he’s strong early game but falls off as the game goes on. Granted, he won’t be falling off as much as Vander does because lol Jeigan.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I did this but with Framme also glued to Alear and they make for an untouchable trio.

Hmm, I like the sound of this, gonna give it a try. My Framme has turned out dope as hell so I'm fielding her every map anyway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
to some extent, I feel like a lot of opinions on character quality are closer to opinions on emblem quality; (almost) anyone can be great with the right ring but there's only so many rings to go around. It'll take a while for the dust to settle on who's truly great and who isn't, I think

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am enjoying how absolutely unhinged Goldmary is in her supports

Her B support with Framme was wild

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was a little uncertain about recruiting this random old guy, but it looks like I unlocked his C with Alear during that battle and whoops, never mind, he clearly belongs here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I learned today that bond shield from lucina lasts all engage, not just a one time thing. Also, qi adepts make it 100 percent.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kobazco/status/1620334864460566529?t=uOs9tnObsyJ9xAG2mUZZ9g&s=19

Yes, yes, split it wide open!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:bisonyes:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh gently caress yes thank you Unity

Too bad I can't afford a better PC to emulate this on

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Has anyone wrote down the averages for Engage characters? Kinda wanted to check if I'm truly as StR screwed as I think I am.

I do wonder if averages should have both 10/1 and 20/1 versions since promoting early is better...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Has anyone wrote down the averages for Engage characters? Kinda wanted to check if I'm truly as StR screwed as I think I am.

I do wonder if averages should have both 10/1 and 20/1 versions since promoting early is better...
i can give you averages for your exact situation if you want, i have a method for that figured out but its a 3-4 step process
just tell me the character, when you promoted them, what you promoted them into, etc

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Finally started reading this thread, only to realize waiting til level 20 on all my dudes to reclass was a mistake... oh well. I got impatient and promoted Chloe, Clanne and Louis early and they're my mvps. Griffin knight, mage knight and great knight. Just started the chapter with the dance

Also whats everyone's opinion on Timarra as picket? Thinking i want to use her but am already spear and foot heavy but the skill seems so good. Leaning towards second sealing to wyvern knight with Lance/ axe

Eerkik fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 31, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I love unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Pandreo and Louis' A support was surprisingly touching