Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Extremely true, but if I'm going out I'm going out to the degree of "state" or "country/continent", though I suppose at that point I'd just go pull the drat thing out from behind the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I use a very small 30w GaN charger when traveling with mine.

If you have to really push it you can beat the charging speed but it’s always got me to 100% over night, and my work isn’t incredibly demanding.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I feel like no matter how good the battery is, If you’re going away for more than the day you should have a charger with you. It’s not like it takes that much space and you’re tempting fate if you don’t have it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh neat, my laptop finally shipped. Less neat: it looks like it won’t be here until the very end of the fast shipping window. Boo.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

American McGay posted:

They’re “popular” but I think they’re actually bad because they trap dirt/sand/whatever in there and then grind against the pressure points for all eternity. Just get a soft folio case for actual transportation and don’t throw the thing around.

These things are built like tanks, just throw them around and they'll still be fine.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I like cases because I like changing the color and putting stickers on my laptop, and if it scratches the finish then :shrug: because it’s still covered by the case.

Anecdotally, I also feel it cuts down on the flexing of the screen that causes oils on the keys to rub off on the screen.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My laptop is now one state over in TN so there’s a real chance it gets here before February. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up getting held up at the FedEx hub until mid week since they don’t have to get it here before Wed-Fri.

Anyway, and good travel pouch recommendations or is whatever that fits closely good enough? I need to see if Wirecutter has a recommendation.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I just use a laptop sleeve from Vera Bradley because I like the patterns.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have a waterfield laptop sleeve I’ve been using for a few years and it’s real nice but my one complaint is that it uses Velcro which I hate because of the loud grating noise inherent to it. Newer ones close magnetically which seems like the ideal

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Just put it in your bag it’s robust. Your bag will have a little padded compartment assuming it’s not fail

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just pulled the trigger on a new 14-inch M2 Pro, upgraded to 32 GB MB oops haha/1 TB. Aaaand as I type this I realize part of the delivery window falls into my trip to NY in February. Well I have honest neighbors and they all have more money than me, so I think I can rely on one of them holding onto it while I’m gone.

Anyway it’s replacing my 2018 MBP 13-inch. Should be quite a dramatic difference, even if I only use it for AI, PS and standard office productivity software. It’s a work purchase, obviously; I upgrade every 5 years for safety’s sake. In case of catastrophe, I can’t wait for a replacement, and I keep the old one as a reliable backup. My current backup is a 2012 13-inch (!) that still works perfectly, even if it chokes on some modern websites.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 30, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a new 14-inch M2 Pro, upgraded to 32 MB/1 TB.

Seems a bit low on Ram. :v:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
My dutiful 2015 refurb macbook pro is slowly dying. I got it in 2018 and it's been from the pnw to miami and back, truly showing its age but it's taken some real abuse like a champ. The butterfly problem finally happened, and on top of the screen being a replacement that's all dinged the gently caress up, it's just showing its age.

Is it a good idea it to get a refurb butterfly keyboard macbook like this 2019 i7 https://eshop.macsales.com/configure-my-mac/UARA1HS411XXXXC , or should I go I get a newer scissor with an M processor?

I use my computer for typical work tasks with some photo editing on the side. Nothing intense.

Let's say money is not a problem but I'd rather not spend extra just to do it. I'd just like a smooth experience

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 30, 2023

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

FlapYoJacks posted:

Seems a bit low on Ram. :v:

The new MX Mac chips don't need as much RAM as the Intel chips, actually.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
32mb still seems stingy. I should know, our first computer in 1997 had that much and I was still subjected to the bloody thing as late as 2003

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I got a 14” pro and want to return it for a 16”. While I’m at it, is the M2 Max 30c gpu good enough for 3D modeling? I just want viewport to be smooth, if I needed to render I’ll just do it on a gaming pc..

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

My dutiful 2015 refurb macbook pro is slowly dying. I got it in 2018 and it's been from the pnw to miami and back, truly showing its age but it's taken some real abuse like a champ. The butterfly problem finally happened, and on top of the screen being a replacement that's all dinged the gently caress up, it's just showing its age.

Is it a good idea it to get a refurb butterfly keyboard macbook like this 2019 i7 https://eshop.macsales.com/configure-my-mac/UARA1HS411XXXXC , or should I go I get a newer scissor with an M processor?

I use my computer for typical work tasks with some photo editing on the side. Nothing intense.

Let's say money is not a problem but I'd rather not spend extra just to do it. I'd just like a smooth experience

M something MacBook Air or Pro all the way. You can spend less than what you linked on a base model M1 Air, but I’d spend a bit more for an upgraded one. They’ve been out long enough that the used market is pretty good too.

To be more specific, an M1 Air with 16GB of memory would be a great starting point. Any upgrades beyond that, like some more storage or even an M2, would be a nice touch. It would be safe to skip the 13-inch Pro unless you really like the Touchbar. The 14-inch Pro is almost certainly overkill, but it is no question a nice laptop.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah any M laptop is going to give you a smoother experience than any intel at this point.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I wouldn't buy an intel mac unless you're really budget constrained. They're slower, hotter, worse battery life, butterfly keyboards and touchbars, lack of magsafe and ports, etc etc and support for them will likely start to get dropped within a few years. If you're not doing anything too intensive, a used M1 or M2 air @ 16/512 would probably be a great buy and serve the average person's needs for a long time.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 30, 2023

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's not a butterfly, the 2019 16" Intel models switched back to "Magic Keyboard", aka scissor keys. However, there's only one scenario where it makes sense to get one: you must have a 16" screen, and you have a hard budget limit which prices you out of an entry level 16" M1 or M2.

Since you can spend more if you want to, I'm N'thing the recommendation to get whatever M1 or M2 model appeals to you. Because trust us, you want to. (And with the recent release of M2 14" and 16", you can probably find deals on M1 models, or will be able to soon.)

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
What’s up with the USBc power brick being bigger than the usb one. Fail much?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nom epique posted:

What’s up with the USBc power brick being bigger than the usb one. Fail much?

They put out way more wattage.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for the recs everyone, Im going with an m1 mbp

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Corb3t posted:

They put out way more wattage.

any truth to this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nom epique posted:

any truth to this?

Maybe read the side of the bricks with your eyes?

I don't know why I even engage with trolls.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

nom epique posted:

any truth to this?

Wtf? What has happened to this thread guys. Reddit has turned into a better resource for certain things than SA, come on and think a bit before you post.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Inner Light posted:

Wtf? What has happened to this thread guys. Reddit has turned into a better resource for certain things than SA, come on and think a bit before you post.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201&userid=229369

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Heh, “crapple”. I personally blame everything on Tim as he’s an Auburn grad and therefor a sociopath. It’s nice to have a scapegoat.

Eg- Tim drove over to Memphis and is personally sitting on the box with my laptop preventing them from moving it along (it’s been 36 hours and I’m antsy).

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

teraflame posted:

I got a 14” pro and want to return it for a 16”. While I’m at it, is the M2 Max 30c gpu good enough for 3D modeling? I just want viewport to be smooth, if I needed to render I’ll just do it on a gaming pc..

If the software is compiled for apple silicon it's going to be so smooth.
I've been using Blender and it supports the M1 GPU and it's been blowing my mind.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Has that improved in the past year? I tried doing some Blender stuff on my M1 Air when I first got it and it was sluggish as gently caress but Blender does tend to improve in big leaps with major version releases.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

njsykora posted:

Has that improved in the past year? I tried doing some Blender stuff on my M1 Air when I first got it and it was sluggish as gently caress but Blender does tend to improve in big leaps with major version releases.
Probably has to do with this Apple/Blender announcement a little over a year ago.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that’d make sense, I should probably read the 3.4 patch notes at some point.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what happens if the SSD dies in your M1/M2 Mac? I was reading that since it's all one soldered chip that your computer essentially becomes a big paper weight, because you can't boot from an external drive anymore.

Out of pure curiosity, is there a repair cost that is known to fix a failed SSD? Or will the machine be 5+ years old at that point ans so cost prohibitive that you just get a new M5 Mac or whatever for the same price?

I had a MacBook Air at one point that needed repair and Apple wanted $800 to fix it and I remember a new machine costing like $1,000 at the time, so never got it done.

Making a transition from my 2008 MacPro, and I am so used to being able to just fix things on it myself, which is why I have gotten so many years out of the thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Astro7x posted:

So what happens if the SSD dies in your M1/M2 Mac? I was reading that since it's all one soldered chip that your computer essentially becomes a big paper weight, because you can't boot from an external drive anymore.

Apple will just switch out the logic board for a new one. Yes, if your internal SSD chips fail in a way that doesn't allow reads, the whole machine is toast as everything is stored on it. You need to be able to boot to Recovery mode / Assistant to allow booting to external drives through the Startup Security Utility on current Macs.

Even when you do enable booting external drives, the M1/M2 Macs must always boot from the internal SSD, do some setup, and reboot to the external drive.

quote:

Out of pure curiosity, is there a repair cost that is known to fix a failed SSD? Or will the machine be 5+ years old at that point ans so cost prohibitive that you just get a new M5 Mac or whatever for the same price?

Hah? If you have AppleCare+, it's $299 for the non-monitor incident. If you don't, it depends on how much a new logic board is for the model that failed.

quote:

I had a MacBook Air at one point that needed repair and Apple wanted $800 to fix it and I remember a new machine costing like $1,000 at the time, so never got it done.

Sounds like something on the logic board. Pre-2018 MacBook Airs had removeable SSDs, later ones got the integrated SSD.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 31, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does Apple let people download and run random apps on their store display models?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think so

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Apple will just switch out the logic board for a new one. Yes, if your internal SSD chips fail in a way that doesn't allow reads, the whole machine is toast as everything is stored on it. You need to be able to boot to Recovery mode / Assistant to allow booting to external drives through the Startup Security Utility on current Macs.
How about for the Mac Studio? SSD isn't soldered there...seems to have whatever soft/firmware/security blocks, but presumably Apple can work around that stuff.

Granted I'm sure it'd still cost a bunch anyway :shrug:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

japtor posted:

How about for the Mac Studio? SSD isn't soldered there...seems to have whatever soft/firmware/security blocks, but presumably Apple can work around that stuff.

Thanks to Apple's token efforts trying to fend off right-to-repair legislation, they've even published all the repair procedures. SSD flash module replacement starts on page 61.

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/2000/MA2118/en_US/mac-studio-2022-07300334A-repair.pdf

You should be able to order the replacement parts yourself, but Apple's self-repair parts ordering site requires you to put in a serial number before it will show you what you can order, and I don't have a Mac Studio.

TLDR on the PDF: except for the base 512GB SSD models, which have only a single module, you must replace modules in pairs (can't swap just one). After replacement you must complete the repair by running System Configuration, which phones home to Apple servers to cryptographically pair new components with your computer's M1 SoC. This is required for a bunch of self service repairs, and Apple repair techs have to do it too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Repair techs have to run System Configuration for nearly every major part, including the LCD display, logic board, TouchID, speakers... and the parts needing SC also vary by model.

The Mac Studio only needs SC for the replacement of the flash storage and logic board.

This is probably what caused Luke Miani's initial failure to swap flash chips between two Studios he bought.

The flash storage is only available from Apple at the moment. Doubtful there'd ever be a third party vendor for them.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Dang it I might want to get a almost maxxed out 16" MBP M2. That kind of spec out is probably not something that goes on sale often or at all?