Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

taqueso posted:

Nah, those are 12k now

And then some. Especially good E-Bikes holy poo poo the prices are mind bending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Wayne Knight posted:

Here's a map that assigns an mpg figure that would result in the same the emissions of the average EV if driven on that region's energy mix.

Full report and executive summary here: https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/driving-cleaner

Goddamnit, New Mexico, get your poo poo together. You know you've made a series of poor choices when you're dragging Arizona down.

Both New Mexico and Arizona seem to have equal parts generation from Natural Gas and various renewables, but NM has a hefty slice of Coal as well.

https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=AZ#tabs-4
https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=NM#tabs-4

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Peanut3141 posted:

Goddamnit, New Mexico, get your poo poo together. You know you've made a series of poor choices when you're dragging Arizona down.

Both New Mexico and Arizona seem to have equal parts generation from Natural Gas and various renewables, but NM has a hefty slice of Coal as well.

Your link posted:

In 2021, wind energy accounted for 30% of New Mexico’s utility-scale electricity net generation, five times more than in 2015. The state ranks sixth in the nation in wind's share of in-state generation.

Sort of looks like they're working on it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yes exactly. I don’t know why anyone would argue on Mazda’s behalf for this, even they knew this thing was unmarketable.

I'm pretty sure no one here is, they are talking in generalities and not about the specific car that was mentioned.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Even if we switched to 100% EVs, it wouldn’t make a dent in the total CO2 emissions needed to reduce global warming. There is a coal power plant in Poland that produces more CO2 than Finland. Are EVs better than gas cars over their lifetime? Yes. Is it enough to combat global warming? Not.

The mining, shipping, refining, and assembling of heavy metals to create the batteries are also awful. As bad as oil? No. Bad for the environment? Yes. EVs are fun, there are fewer parts to break, they are generally more reliable, and the charging infrastructure continues to improve every year. Still, nobody should fool themselves into thinking they are helping the environment in a meaningful capacity by using one.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Even if we switched to 100% EVs, it wouldn’t make a dent in the total CO2 emissions needed to reduce global warming.

Making a dent is exactly what it would do. It won't save us if it's the only thing that happens, but it would definitely make a dent.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

We also need to bomb Poland.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Kirios posted:

Mazda spending all this energy with the MX-30 when they could be instead making an electric Miata.

...oh no, they're going to make a crossover Miata aren't they

Don't you dare give them ideas

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

After we tackle electrifying transportation, it'll really help discourse so we'll move onto other high CO2 contributors such as power generation and manufacturing. After CO2 we'll have to take a look at methane, no more cow burps/farts.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I fully understand that I'm not saving the planet by switching to electric, but "We shouldn't do anything unless we can do everything" isn't something I can subscribe to.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's deliberately cherry picked edge case used to illustrate a point, in reality the energy mix you get at your house in WV is closer to the regional average because of how the regional electric distribution works, but it's not worth arguing over, both PHEVs and BEVs are huge improvements over equivalent ICE vehicles.

The table, for reference.

E: I missed a whole rear end page.

Peanut3141 posted:

A lot of that is gonna be AZ having the country's largest nuclear generating station too.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 1, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They closed down the Navajo generating plant which was, well, being given coal directly from adjacent mine facilities if I recall correctly. Do these statistics reflect that? I am unsure if the Navajo power station is large enough to Matter, of course; but it was a pretty big coal plant in the region.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/clare_eliza/status/1619819420465131520

(It's a BMW i4)

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Elviscat posted:

A lot of that is gonna be AZ having the country's largest nuclear generating station too.

Well, yes, Arizona definitely didn't end up with a greener electricity production mix than NM by consciously making environmentally friendly choices. Palo Verde is 2/3 of the non-hydrocarbon power generation and solar is desultorily being rolled out. 2021's solar capacity was roughly twice that of 2015, which is pathetic for a state baked in sunlight.

My comment was because I looked at the awful energy mix of the AZNM region compared to its neighbours and assumed that, as usual, Arizona was doing its usual Florida of the SW impersonation by being the worst. Imagine my surprise as that turned out, for the moment, to not be the case. Based on the NM ramp-up in wind power cruft pointed out, the situation should sort itself out in a handful of years.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I just learned one of my old buddies is working commissioning new wind plants out in NM, weirdly.

I wish AZ would build more nuke plants.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I just learned one of my old buddies is working commissioning new wind plants out in NM, weirdly.

I wish AZ would build more nuke plants.

The county where I live is currently in the late stages of plans to build a new nuclear generator in Idaho to supply our electricity needs. We're pretty big on nuclear physics in this town.

But they are also investing heavily in new solar buildout, and if memory serves, are also planning to add on-grid storage for the growing number of residential grid-tied solar. When the county landfill filled up, we covered it with a 1MW solar array with 8.3MWh of battery storage.

New Mexico ranks 45th in the country for median household income; Arizona ranks 28th. Arizona's government should be ashamed to be just barely keeping up with the 5th poorest state in the union.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

After we tackle electrifying transportation, it'll really help discourse so we'll move onto other high CO2 contributors such as power generation and manufacturing. After CO2 we'll have to take a look at methane, no more cow burps/farts.

American military is the largest contributor to CO2 emissions. Maybe get rid of the 800 bases outside of the country but lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Airlines fly thousands of empty flights just to keep priority spots at airports, so let’s examine our straw usage

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What if they make electric tanks eh? Eh???

Or is that the Model Y

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Airlines fly thousands of empty flights just to keep priority spots at airports, so let’s examine our straw usage
those are two massively different issues and we can in fact deal with both

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Really we can only deal with the straw thing

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
I would gladly pay for a $35,000 car with a 100 mile range if it had the form factor and performance of an Ariel Atom. And yet Mazda simply ignores my emails.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tiny Timbs posted:

People always quote this and I never see it actually cited. This happened briefly for sure during the height of the pandemic but I don’t think it’s happening anymore.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People always quote this and I never see it actually cited. This happened briefly for sure during the height of the pandemic but I don’t think it’s happening anymore.

I've actually seen the same argument used to argue that municipal bus service is a waste of resources.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cruft posted:

I've actually seen the same argument used to argue that municipal bus service is a waste of resources.
Its an argument for electric buses too. Of course we must always remember that it doesn’t matter, so we don’t fool ourselves.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cruft posted:

I doubt you’ve seen that same argument, the airline thing that came up over the last few years had to do with the relationship between airports and airlines. What cities like Denver and Aurora do with mass transit is say that poor ridership forces them to close lines and cut schedules which results in worse ridership.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nessus posted:

Or is that the Model Y

Hummer EV.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife is in the market for a new car. She likes things approximately the size and shape of a Subaru Crosstrek, and I'm trying to steer her toward an EV or a PHEV (even though that's the moral equivalent of rolling coal in front of the local elementary school, according to some people in this thread), probably south of $40k after tax incentives. Am I missing any obvious options? Anything on this list I should definitely avoid?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I personally like the LEAF and think it's better than the Bolt EV in creature comforts but if she's looking for sub 40k and wants something like the Crosstrek I think the Bolt EUV is a no brainer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

My wife is in the market for a new car. She likes things approximately the size and shape of a Subaru Crosstrek, and I'm trying to steer her toward an EV or a PHEV (even though that's the moral equivalent of rolling coal in front of the local elementary school, according to some people in this thread), probably south of $40k after tax incentives. Am I missing any obvious options? Anything on this list I should definitely avoid?

You’re missing Kia’s EV6 and the Ford Mach-E. I can’t speak to the PHEVs but I don’t think any of those EVe are obvious duds. They are all in roughly the same ballpark of range and features.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

You’re missing Kia’s EV6 and the Ford Mach-E. I can’t speak to the PHEVs but I don’t think any of those EVe are obvious duds. They are all in roughly the same ballpark of range and features.

You're right about the Mach-E. It's *just* within the ballpark. The EV-6 is still a little too spendy, but I can include it for completeness.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Llewellyn posted:

I would gladly pay for a $35,000 car with a 100 mile range if it had the form factor and performance of an Ariel Atom. And yet Mazda simply ignores my emails.

Why not just get an Ariel EV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2XwsIFVs0

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nessus posted:

Or is that the Model Y

Porsche used to make one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elefant

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Porsche also made a Tiger, it was hilariously unreliable, even for Tiger (E/H1) standards.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

Nfcknblvbl posted:

After CO2 we'll have to take a look at methane, no more cow burps/farts.

Get your drat dirty hands off my cow burger

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Fuller9x posted:

Get your drat dirty hands off my cow burger

Of all the meats in the world, ground beef is incredibly easy to fake. Steak or roasts are much trickier.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Does it have to be new? You could get a slightly used Model 3 for these prices if you don't mind the muskiness.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Even a new RWD Model 3 is $37k after the tax right now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hard pass on the model 3, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's also a better car than every EV on that list with the likely exception of the Ioniq 5, but again, there is now some social stigma I guess, so it depends how much you care about that.

e: OK, I would just do the Ioniq 5 then tbh