Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

mdemone posted:

He's been digesting for a thousand years

Well now I want A Star Wars Story about how he got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Uh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtmzKs53T6E

Ya, totally sanitized. Not disgusting or gooey at all.

Anyway my only gripe is wtf was that rando Stormtrooper doing in there? The Empire weren't even at the Sarlaac pit at the time.

Not for someone that grew up on 80s movie, no. Gremlins has more goop. There needed to be some actual body horror in there to 80s family sci fi horror IMO.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

Well now I want A Star Wars Story about how he got there.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

AndyElusive posted:

Uh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtmzKs53T6E

Ya, totally sanitized. Not disgusting or gooey at all.

Anyway my only gripe is wtf was that rando Stormtrooper doing in there? The Empire weren't even at the Sarlaac pit at the time.

Lol this really doesn't disprove his point, less than a minute of screen time and he's out, apparently 5 minutes after Luke and pals have blown everything up and hosed off. This was the best they could do after nearly 40 years of speculation and anticipation and EU stories about his fate. The scene in Nope where you see people being digested inside the alien is a whole bunch more hosed up than this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lol this really doesn't disprove his point, less than a minute of screen time and he's out, apparently 5 minutes after Luke and pals have blown everything up and hosed off. This was the best they could do after nearly 40 years of speculation and anticipation and EU stories about his fate. The scene in Nope where you see people being digested inside the alien is a whole bunch more hosed up than this.

What was the timeline for this again?

Return of the Jedi happens, he gets out of the sarlaac pit like five minutes after he falls in

Is captured/hangs with the Tuskens for awhile and shows them how to use speeders and helps them disrupt the smuggling operations

After he does that he runs into Fennec, gets her fixed up via the Mods' doc, and gets his ship back from Jabba's palace (and talks about paying Bib Fortuna back for betraying him "all those years ago" I guess for not looking for him)

About five years have passed now since Mando is set five years after Return of the Jedi and this is where he flies to the Jedi rock(s) planet and meets up with Mando and gets his armor.

Mando comes back and takes over Bib's operation and then tries to collect protection money because he stopped a train once a few years ago and I guess doesn't realize that that Tusken tribe was killed?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Neo Rasa posted:

What was the timeline for this again?

Return of the Jedi happens, he gets out of the sarlaac pit like five minutes after he falls in

Is captured/hangs with the Tuskens for awhile and shows them how to use speeders and helps them disrupt the smuggling operations

After he does that he runs into Fennec, gets her fixed up via the Mods' doc, and gets his ship back from Jabba's palace (and talks about paying Bib Fortuna back for betraying him "all those years ago" I guess for not looking for him)

About five years have passed now since Mando is set five years after Return of the Jedi and this is where he flies to the Jedi rock(s) planet and meets up with Mando and gets his armor.

Mando comes back and takes over Bib's operation and then tries to collect protection money because he stopped a train once a few years ago and I guess doesn't realize that that Tusken tribe was killed?

The five years where everything happened with the Tuskens were before him running into Fennec, as she got her guts blown out halfway through Mando series 1.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Darko posted:

Andor is an orphan of Republic exploitation. A good piece of worldbuilding in the show, too - that the Republic is pretty much the Empire anyway.

Edit: hell, even though the Empire was in existence by then, the show purposefully has his adoptive father killed by Clonetroopers instead of Stormtroopers, too.
I found the flashbacks of young Andor the only letdown in the show. That ship has the Separatist emblem, and even if that was a mistake, I don't get Marva's whole "THE REPUBLIC WILL KILL HIM PERSONALLY IF THEY FIND 1 DEAD BODY THAT WAS KILLED BY FERAL LOCAL CHILDREN NEXT TO ALL THESE OTHER BODIES THAT DIED FROM THE DISASTER." The Republic's flaws were negligence and arrogance, not random violence. The flashbacks ended up being confusing and felt like they ultimately could of been excised or streamlined, especially if they never revisit the sister.
I'm not at all saying the Republic wasn't above exploitation but I think just having had Andor born on a planet the Republic broke through unsafe mining would of worked, whether from the Republic being wanting the resources for the war/greed or some corporation bribing the Republic EPA.
And those clonetroopers I thought had to be way post Order 66, just not in all white yet.

[quote=]
Sarlacc Stuff
[/quote]
It wasn't 5 minutes later and the fabric part of his armor should of been melted off, especially since no one else was groaning and half alive. Also even freeing himself to move around should of been an ordeal but that show was as much about Robert Rodriguez playing with his action figures.

AndyElusive posted:

At some point before RotJ Jabba must of needed to toss a dead stormie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I felt that Maarva wasn't being especially rational on Kenari. She's got a bit of an anti-authority streak to her that extends beyond just the Empire. It's not just the Empire, it's anyone who claims authority, be they Republic, Primore or the Empire. I think she also felt rather guilty about taking him afterwards because it was basically a kidnapping and she didn't know Kassa had a sister. That whole episode was about people thinking they were doing the right thing, no matter how misguided their actions actually were.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

M-M-M-Maarva

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Republic was the empire long before they officially rebranded.

They extremely were down to do warcrimes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The story with Kenari was intentionally vague and I got the vibe that they'd just execute anyone there because it was under quarantine or something.
The story got dropped as the stakes quickly eclipsed it

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I didn't like the flashbacks, either. Just liked that the Republic were the villains to lead into bigger themes.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who is going to constantly compare stuff against Andor, cause goodness, you may never enjoy another Star War ever again!

Yeah, agreed.

Sometimes you need to meet media in the middle. Not everything will be prestige caliber television and not everything is trying to be.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Parkingtigers posted:

We really going with "oh it's not that bad" after Andor? Really?
Roger Ebert didn't compare every movie to Citizen Kane. He reviewed every film not as compared to other films, but on whether or not they succeeded on their terms.

So, while I don't imagine you'd like Obi Wan more for not comparing it to Andor, I feel like they're not two things that should even be compared and only are because they're set in the same universe.

They weren't saying anything similar, weren't the same genre, nor did they have the same target audience beyond "people who have enjoyed Star Wars."

It isn't that bad, for my money, and comparing even great shows against Andor will leave whatever you're pitting against it looking a hell of a lot worse. But some things are great and that by itself doesn't make other things bad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just liked the mole guy driving his pickup truck and being like "eh" about the state of things.

Probably the most real character in all of Star Wars.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vintersorg posted:

About the only genuinely good thing that I liked was Obi-Wan and Leia's talk on the back of the pickup truck.

Sash! posted:

I just liked the mole guy driving his pickup truck and being like "eh" about the state of things.

Probably the most real character in all of Star Wars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXCcZSxHsAo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who is going to constantly compare stuff against Andor, cause goodness, you may never enjoy another Star War ever again!

They said they about Rogue One and look where it got us

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rogue One has a dozen problems that Andor doesn't have.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Rogue One has a dozen problems that Andor doesn't have.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Rogue One is about Andor giving his life to destroy the weapon he helped build

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

The story with Kenari was intentionally vague and I got the vibe that they'd just execute anyone there because it was under quarantine or something.
The story got dropped as the stakes quickly eclipsed it

Given that Andor S1 gives us physically healthy Saw Gerrera and Rogue One gives us Saw needing a breather, and given all the breathers in the Kenari flashback, I’d bet we’ll see Saw on Kenari in Andor S2. Something very bad went down there and it was clearly being covered up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Good article on the VFX work in Andor, focusing on Luthen's scene in episode 11.

Some interesting bits in there, like how they deliberately made the Arrester look like a model or how much of the show used real locations for the fore-/midground.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Narsham posted:

Given that Andor S1 gives us physically healthy Saw Gerrera and Rogue One gives us Saw needing a breather, and given all the breathers in the Kenari flashback, I’d bet we’ll see Saw on Kenari in Andor S2. Something very bad went down there and it was clearly being covered up.

Nah, they already did that in Rebels. It's from the unspent chemical weapons the Empire used to genocide the Geonosians.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

“Obi-Wan has a previously unheard-of duel with Vader between ROTS and ANH, but also he has to rescue a kidnapped child Leia” is a massive red flag of a premise but somehow they pulled out a story that actually does right (mostly) by all three of those characters

There’s still a bunch of the series that outright sucks but it’s a better time than BOBF at least

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, Leia is young, but she's not an infant. She's gonna remember Ol' Larry Kenobi showing up to save her from a Sith Inquisitor after she was kidnapped from her parents.

A mere 9 years occur between Obi-Wan and the events of ANH, yet she's like:

quote:

"General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope."

Which is extremely formal for someone who has had literal adventures with the guy less than a decade before. Like she had secondhand knowledge of stories of the guy from her old man.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Good writing doesn't need prestige TV money. Andor was excellent in more ways than just that, but moving away from schlocky plotting and dialog and broadening the franchise's horizons beyond it's roots of flash gordon adventure serials would be nice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gonz posted:

Also, Leia is young, but she's not an infant. She's gonna remember Ol' Larry Kenobi showing up to save her from a Sith Inquisitor after she was kidnapped from her parents.

A mere 9 years occur between Obi-Wan and the events of ANH, yet she's like:

Which is extremely formal for someone who has had literal adventures with the guy less than a decade before. Like she had secondhand knowledge of stories of the guy from her old man.

In the finale they had Obi-wan tell her to make sure to keep it a secret because it might put people in danger, which was not at all clunky or implausible.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kamoradon
Kybuck

Can't say I had "Magical Girl Droid Transformation Sequence" on my Star Wars Bingo sheet

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 1, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Good article on the VFX work in Andor, focusing on Luthen's scene in episode 11.

Some interesting bits in there, like how they deliberately made the Arrester look like a model or how much of the show used real locations for the fore-/midground.

The huge takeaway here for how to make your show look good (that definitely carries over into how to make the whole show good) is "trust your team to execute the vision and don't gently caress with the vision halfway through"

I'm not sure if it was deference to Gilroy's talent or letting ideas bake longer over quarantine or just that the most meddlesome mid-level producers were kept away (or distracted by Obi-Wan), but Disney managed to curb their worst impulses here. The only studio limits I've heard about were the limiting of the number of Aldhani pilgrims and not letting Maarva say "gently caress" in her speech.

Maybe the lack of merchandisability worked for them too. Nobody's really hankering for a death floor prison playset or an antiques dealer Luthen backpack or a Syril Karn childhood bedroom Lego set; maybe those are the problem execs.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It isn't that bad, for my money, and comparing even great shows against Andor will leave whatever you're pitting against it looking a hell of a lot worse. But some things are great and that by itself doesn't make other things bad.

Pretty much everyone in this thread thought Obi-Wan sucked at the time of release. Also it's perfectly normal to compare the respective quality of two TV shows set in the same time period of the same universe. I don't think anyone wants every star wars show going forward to have the same tone as Andor but if they could have even half of the respect for the audience via competent writing, cinematography and effects work then yes loving please.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
My biggest problem with the Obi-Wan story is it's really just not a story that needs to be told. By involving Leia it just detracts from A New Hope and feels like a crass and stupid retcon to add in characters the audience is familiar with. It's a good motivation for Obi-Wan to leave Tatooine, but falls apart in its execution.

Why Ben and Owen had a falling out is a worthy story to tell in that time period, and could have involve Luke, as he's clearly aware of 'Old Ben'. But throwing in dark Jedi that Luke runs away from but 'never actually sees' is such a stupid cop-out.

Kenobi facing Vader again is another thing that feels pretty much like an excuse to make this series in the first place - but is something that could have been really interesting and entertaining follow up to the prequels. What we got was fun, but ultimately a bit disappointing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well, "Tribe" of the Bad Batch was literally a remake of the CF99 Kashyyyk arc from the Clone Wars

Kinraths? Check
Trandoshans? Check
Wookiees asking the trees for help? Check
Alien Jedi with a green lightsaber? Check
Deforestation and burning trees? Check

Except crunched down from four episodes to one

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Vinylshadow posted:

Well, "Tribe" of the Bad Batch was literally a remake of the CF99 Kashyyyk arc from the Clone Wars

Kinraths? Check
Trandoshans? Check
Wookiees asking the trees for help? Check
Alien Jedi with a green lightsaber? Check
Deforestation and burning trees? Check

Except crunched down from four episodes to one

No wonder I kept thinking, "Haven't I already seen this somewhere?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

theflyingexecutive posted:

The only studio limits I've heard about were the limiting of the number of Aldhani pilgrims and not letting Maarva say "gently caress" in her speech.

And the Aldhani pilgrims bit was turned into that great conversation where the Imperials channelled Imperial Britain sneering at the natives.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

theflyingexecutive posted:

Maybe the lack of merchandisability worked for them too. Nobody's really hankering for a death floor prison playset or an antiques dealer Luthen backpack or a Syril Karn childhood bedroom Lego set; maybe those are the problem execs.
gently caress, now I want a prison playset. Complete with Andor making the letter 'Z' with his body while being shown the floor shocker. [That was seriously super disturbing when that happened].

Dexo posted:

The Republic was the empire long before they officially rebranded.

They extremely were down to do warcrimes.
When did we ever see anything like them murdering some feral children? I could buy goons from the FuckFace Mining Consortium doing it when they come to salvage [assuming they could even figure out this one guy got killed not in the crash]. Again not idealizing the Republic I just don't get her logic.
It seems like there are 6 versions of what people think the flashbacks had going on and not in the good 'open to interpretation way' but in the bad 'this made more sense in the writer's head and somehow that didn't get out' way.

Isometric Bacon posted:

My biggest problem with the Obi-Wan story is it's really just not a story that needs to be told. By involving Leia it just detracts from A New Hope and feels like a crass and stupid retcon to add in characters the audience is familiar with. It's a good motivation for Obi-Wan to leave Tatooine, but falls apart in its execution.

Why Ben and Owen had a falling out is a worthy story to tell in that time period, and could have involve Luke, as he's clearly aware of 'Old Ben'. But throwing in dark Jedi that Luke runs away from but 'never actually sees' is such a stupid cop-out.

Kenobi facing Vader again is another thing that feels pretty much like an excuse to make this series in the first place - but is something that could have been really interesting and entertaining follow up to the prequels. What we got was fun, but ultimately a bit disappointing.
So many of these shows have had so much Idiot Ball and its so loving aggravating. Obi-Wan was probably reverse engineered from the scene with Vader's busted mask. Sometimes a writer can pull that off but other times we get 70% bullshit to get to that point. We have to sit through people not having common sense just to get to point X. Even Filoni, people get on his dick but that Mendez sister arc in the final Clone Wars season was so painfully dumb. To be honest I'm a little nervous about Mando Season 3 descending into awkwardly forced fan service.

KurdtLives fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 1, 2023

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/dendycrew/status/1620446542950993920
I can't be the only one that wants to petition Lucasfilm to feed all used and unused footage from the ISB meetings from Andor into this and generate an endless stream.

Imagine what we would get after the AI exhausts all of the standard anti-Imperial/anti-conspiracy talk and gets real.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cheesus posted:

https://twitter.com/dendycrew/status/1620446542950993920
I can't be the only one that wants to petition Lucasfilm to feed all used and unused footage from the ISB meetings from Andor into this and generate an endless stream.

Imagine what we would get after the AI exhausts all of the standard anti-Imperial/anti-conspiracy talk and gets real.

Why would you want the good writing to become made bad?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

Why would you want the good writing to become made bad?

Well, if the AI is only fed Andor-quality writing...

...well, it'd still probably find some way to twist it in a completely bizarre direction about how the Time Grappler's Bell gains sentience and plots to conquer the galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This AI poo poo is the worst.