Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Post more like Martinet Mario and less like Pratt Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just as we were all ready to move on American McGay had to storm in with a "meme," hilarious!

Forgive us Nintendo for this display

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Drop it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Personally, if I were engaged in a pathetic internet slap fight, I would simply stop engaging and instead play some video games, most likely on my Nintendo Switch

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i did go back and read my posts and they were all great, thanks for the tip :tipshat:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

perhaps the same could be said of all religions...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Theatrhythm Demo is out in Japan for those with Japanese accounts. I’ve been playing it and it owns

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Wait, so Fire Emblem Engage does still have a bunch of social stuff? Everything I heard pre-release was that got pared back pretty heavily and it was a return to classic fire emblem. 95% of my series experience is with Three Houses and I liked the social stuff more than the battles (I like SRPGs a lot but it didn't really stand out much to me). Is it worth checking out for someone who's mostly into the bonds?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fire emblem has always had support conversations, engage doesn't require you to manage them as much as in three houses but you can still give them gifts and chat with them between missions. there's also a mechanic where you take a nap and then one of them will barge into your room to pester you until you wake up (because every character in Engage is insane).

also IMHO engage is way better as a SRPG than Three Houses. much better map design and more interesting mechanics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The literal socializing via supports is still there (though shaped by the game's tone), what people refer to as the scaled back social stuff is mostly the simulation-esque approach to building supports and and the attributes of far more malleable characters day by day. In Engage the base mostly provides temporary boosts and character customization largely revolves around the freely assignable Emblems in one way or another.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ok but can my pepsi girl marry someone

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

woke kaczynski posted:

Wait, so Fire Emblem Engage does still have a bunch of social stuff? Everything I heard pre-release was that got pared back pretty heavily and it was a return to classic fire emblem. 95% of my series experience is with Three Houses and I liked the social stuff more than the battles (I like SRPGs a lot but it didn't really stand out much to me). Is it worth checking out for someone who's mostly into the bonds?

I’m at like chapter 10? I would say at this point, the supports/bonds are trash. Even when they cover the same topics as 3H (food/training/family expectations) they’re less fun and written worse. 3H had too much text, true. But I never cringed like I did with some of these conversations. Even when they’re not embarrassing, they’re shallow and bland.

However, the gameplay is top tier so it’s your call.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Video

Games

By

Nintendo

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I hope Pikmin 4 still comes out this year

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m not a Pikmin man, I’m a Pikmin, man.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Personally, if I were engaged in a pathetic internet slap fight, I would simply stop engaging and instead play some video games, most likely Engage on my Nintendo Switch

Now that's a plan I can get behind, bring on the Pepsi hair

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m not a Pikmin man, I’m a Pikmin, man.

Im the white pikmin. i like their eyes a lot. So cute!

Also a big pink pikmin fan, they look like little fairy bugs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Inzombiac posted:

Video

Games

By

Nintendo

Wintendo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay so I'm in chapter 4 of Harvestella and drat this game is kinda long. A friend told me I'm near the half way mark and I'm not even done with my first Autumn.

I wouldn't be spending all this time on side quests if they weren't fairly well-written and pay pretty well.

Still don't think it is better than Rune Factory 4, a game I love even with gripes about large parts of it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You should consider a game that doesn't expect you to make friends with the enemies...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Bond-building with fictional characters, brought to the forefront with such anime like *checks notes* all BioWare games.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Same with Midnight Suns. I'd love to go bird watching with you Spider-Man, but I gotta bro it out with Thor tonight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Waffle! posted:

Same with Midnight Suns. I'd love to go bird watching with you Spider-Man, but I gotta bro it out with Thor tonight.

You literally picked the one avenger that's not in the game

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

woke kaczynski posted:

There's much less social stuff but the game itself is extremely good. I like playing it far more than I liked playing 3H fwiw.

You still get to do things like eat a meal together and hear a line from a character but you might not ever get intricate tea parties ever again, who knows. So yeah if you started with 3H and loved the social stuff it might suck to see them return to previous games, but at least Engage is really fun. If you like SRPGs then approach it that way imo, unless you just really don't like the FE battle system.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Maroon Hawk posted:

IGN reporting that "multiple knowledgeable sources" have told them that Xbox, Sony, and Nintendo will all be skipping E3 entirely this year - no presentations or booth space. Hardly surprising if true, but here's hoping this doesn't mean we won't get a General Direct in June again.

Not surprising. From what I've heard publishers are seeing less and less value in big industry conventions like E3 and the lockdown years have done a lot to confirmed this for them.

It's not like it's 1999 and you have to put on a show to convince people to write about your stuff in the current age where of all the youtube gaming channel detritus are lining up in droves and willing to say anything to get "approved reviewer" status.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

:hmmyes:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

If they were better written social bonds could be interesting but like with music writing in games isn’t generally great and that’s fine.

I’m good without it. Interested how dumb Engage’s writing is, it seems to be a good enough SRPG to warrant getting it. Awakenings had atrocious writing so if it’s marginally better than that I’ll be fine.

I just hope it’s not too customizable. No more than 2 choices for promotion for me. I really like the unique character classes of earlier games and loved how that was done in Triangle Strategy.

May get this in Late April to play along with the new Zelda.

Phoenotopia continues to be a delight. It really is with playing.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I hope the new Zelda has a social link mechanic. With durability.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kassad posted:

But I don't wanna replay Persona 3! :ohdear:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Kassad posted:

You want him to affably fix cars and poo poo? The gently caress

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Waffle! posted:

I don't mind social mechanics and I kind of want to play Midnight Suns because I like Firaxis and they seem to have nailed the superhero power fantasy well, but the idea of going on a tea party date with Iron Man while he discusses his book club with Blade makes me want to shoot myself

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If they were better written social bonds could be interesting but like with music writing in games isn’t generally great and that’s fine.

I’m good without it. Interested how dumb Engage’s writing is, it seems to be a good enough SRPG to warrant getting it. Awakenings had atrocious writing so if it’s marginally better than that I’ll be fine.

I just hope it’s not too customizable. No more than 2 choices for promotion for me. I really like the unique character classes of earlier games and loved how that was done in Triangle Strategy.

May get this in Late April to play along with the new Zelda.

Phoenotopia continues to be a delight. It really is with playing.

Well... there is a reclassing system. Second Seals exist too.

By default a character will be able to promote to one or two classes, though. On major change is you aren't penalized for EXP gain by promoting early, so you can go ahead and promote as soon as you hit 10, or any time thereafter, which is nice.

You get weapon proficiencies by equipping Emblems, which is how you would gain access to additional classes, if you were so inclined. Or you can use a Second Seal, like in Awakening.

You could just ignore that and keep everyone in their default classes and be mostly fine. There are one or two characters who are clearly meant to be reclassed, but from your perspective they would just get garbage level ups and get benched!

You don't want to ignore Emblems though. The game is very much balanced around you having them, and enemies can and will use them against you. So if you can, at least embrace the Emblems, even if you never let anyone deviate from their default class.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Postman posted:

I hope Pikmin 4 still comes out this year

it and tears of the kingdom are the only games this year i care about at all

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Some of these late game story and paralogue maps in FE engage are some of the most fun I can remember having in a fire emblem. I’ll need some distance to know for sure but they really nailed the game playing part for this one.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
100 days till Zelda fellow switchers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hope it's good this time

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think that's the point that a lot of folks are missing, I'm willing to tolerate social bond mechanics if the writing is passable, I mean entertaining dialogue and interactions are never a bad thing as long as they don't go on for too long and don't take you away from the primary gameplay loop for too long

But it's always just really bad writing and stiff interactions. The biggest recent offender is neon white, the writing is already really bad so I'm not sure why they decided to make that a focal point of the game when the gameplay is sublime

Anyways it's mostly skippable so don't let it turn you off from buying neon white. It just seems that the gift/ hang out mechanics were tacked on because it's currently popular or whatever

Sleng Teng posted:

Some of these late game story and paralogue maps in FE engage are some of the most fun I can remember having in a fire emblem. I’ll need some distance to know for sure but they really nailed the game playing part for this one.

I'm past the halfway point of the game and I have to agree. I'm finding myself scanning maps ahead of time, thinking about what units to send where to counter specific layouts, spending extensive time kiting out my team and building them up in between missions, and even having to retry maps once or twice just to really get familiar with the cadence of that mission is going to play out. I feel like I'm having to edge out as many advantages as possible and it's making me a better fire emblem player

It's incredibly good, I definitely don't remember paying that much attention to gameplay in other recent fire emblem games. I did get completely hosed over a few times by random 2 percent crits though lmao thank god for the time crystal

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 1, 2023

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kassad posted:

How social should Link be?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingSlime posted:

But it's always just really bad writing and stiff interactions. The biggest recent offender is neon white, the writing is already really bad so I'm not sure why they decided to make that a focal point of the game when the gameplay is sublime

The writing in Neon White is epic, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

100 days till Zelda fellow switchers

It's going to be delayed.