Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dull Fork posted:

Ah yes, nothing like a draft to calm german's fears of an authoritarian Germany rising again. But sending tanks was 'too unpopular' for scholz. Wild.

Is there more to this that I am missing?

Conscription was suspended in Germany something like a decade ago, but not officially abolished. It can be resumed in case of a war. The new defense minister recently stepped on some rakes by saying that the suspension was a mistake in his opinion. That's all there is to it. Everybody is basically going "are you high?" in response to his comment.

It's a somewhat common opinion among staunch conservative cause kids learn ~duty and discipline~ or something while serving, but it's a minority opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dull Fork posted:

Ah yes, nothing like a draft to calm german's fears of an authoritarian Germany rising again. But sending tanks was 'too unpopular' for scholz. Wild.

The draft was a staple of Germany, based on the theory that you can only have a real Democracy if you make sure the people will constantly be shuffled through the armed forces via the draft. This is to prevent authoritarian structures to build up, completely separated from the larger population.

Over time, the draft then was shortened until it became basically uselessly short, then put in dormancy.

Now there's talk about reviving national conscription, since history was mean and didn't end after all

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Antigravitas posted:

I honestly don't even know where to begin. Your premise is wildly off base, and connecting the Wehrpflicht to tanks just doesn't follow at all.

You are missing like… all of it? The entirety of the thing, is what you are missing.

If you are genuinely interested, start here, then ask: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Germany

I’m not that poster but I think the issue might have been word choice here. “Draft” is a loaded term in the US where it invokes images of people being chosen at random to be sent off to war. I don’t know what a less loaded word would be. Most of the German men I know who had to do conscription all chose (and were allowed to! I know you know this but maybe others don’t) to do other non-military forms of service instead of learning how to be a boot.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

DTurtle posted:

We had the draft up to about 10 years ago. Getting rid of it has been seen as one of the last worst things being done to the Bundeswehr with regards to having it be an effective force. A lot of recruitment for the Bundeswehr was done through people staying after their draft service. In addition, having a draft was actually seen as the opposite of being authoritarian, as it actually embedded the Bundeswehr more into normal society.

There was already a push towards reinstating some kind of national service, as people declining to go to the Bundeswehr used to be a good, cheap source for things like ambulance drivers, helpers in retirement homes, etc.

Thanks for explaining. Its interesting to me that the draft is looked upon in that way. American context for the draft is heavily mixed in with anti-war sentiment due to its contentious nature around the Vietnam war. I'll admit I'm having trouble seeing compulsory military service as anything but authoritarian, but I can see the argument for it 'moderating' potential extremists that coalesce around state backed violence. National service, beyond just military is a great idea in my opinion though!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Isn't mandatory military service still quite common? I thought places like Singapore, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, etc, all still do it?

Never heard it called a draft before though.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

I honestly don't even know where to begin. Your premise is wildly off base, and connecting the Wehrpflicht to tanks just doesn't follow at all.

You are missing like… all of it? The entirety of the thing, is what you are missing.

If you are genuinely interested, start here, then ask: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Germany

Thanks for the link, let me try to explain my line of thinking a little more clearly.

Earlier in the thread posters were discussing Sholz's unwillingness to send tanks, and suggesting that due to his base's/Germany's own split on the issue, thusly Sholz was as well, even if it was the 'right' thing to do, it was politically unpopular.

To an American, a draft is an extremely unpopular thing, due to the last time it was used, it was to send unwilling teenagers to die in Vietnam for a war they didn't support. So I saw an incongruency in action. Why is the German govt mumbling about bringing back the draft (in my mind a super unpopular decision) when sending tanks was too unpopular for Sholz constituents?

Edit: This is not to reiterate the question, which I felt was answered by posters describing the differences in Germany's draft, and what the US did, just to clear up where I was coming from.

Dull Fork fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 31, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

Isn't mandatory military service still quite common? I thought places like Singapore, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, etc, all still do it?

Never heard it called a draft before though.

Conscription was very common in Europe up until the late 90's.

Something happened in the early 90's to make the need to have large numbers of the population available for military service at short notice less of an imperative, it should not be surprising that as the defence policy trends of the 90's get re-evaluated that Conscription is one of the topics that gets raised.

e: the other thing to bear in mind is that nobody in German politics has had to think seriously about defence policy in 30 years, so they're about to speedrun a public debate of all the classic bad ideas before they settle on a sensible national consensus. This is just a misfire.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine from Germany if I remember correctly post high school he avoided mandatory military service by doing some kind of state sponsored public service work in of all places Russia. I forget exactly what he did there maybe teaching languages but I believe you had two choices at the time either a year of military service or working in public service elsewhere, this would have been late '00s.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Dull Fork posted:

Thanks for the link, let me try to explain my line of thinking a little more clearly.

Earlier in the thread posters were discussing Sholz's unwillingness to send tanks, and suggesting that due to his base's/Germany's own split on the issue, thusly Sholz was as well, even if it was the 'right' thing to do, it was politically unpopular.

To an American, a draft is an extremely unpopular thing, due to the last time it was used, it was to send unwilling teenagers to die in Vietnam for a war they didn't support. So I saw an incongruency in action. Why is the German govt mumbling about bringing back the draft (in my mind a super unpopular decision) when sending tanks was too unpopular for Sholz constituents?

Germans are not Americans and Germany is not America. I hope this helps

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

A friend of mine from Germany if I remember correctly post high school he avoided mandatory military service by doing some kind of state sponsored public service work in of all places Russia. I forget exactly what he did there maybe teaching languages but I believe you had two choices at the time either a year of military service or working in public service elsewhere, this would have been late '00s.

That was the Zivildienst, yes. I barely avoided ending up there because I declined military service, but then was too lazy to write the short essay explaining why I didn't think military service was good for me. :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

That was the Zivildienst, yes. I barely avoided ending up there because I declined military service, but then was too lazy to write the short essay explaining why I didn't think military service was good for me. :v:

Ah thanks. Looking into it he must have qualified as a Entwicklungshelfer working as a foreign aid helper, kinda like Peace Corps.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Dull Fork posted:

Alright, I've written about him, let me quote it, because I intend to not stray far from the last sentence:

Antigravitas posted:

Tbh what irritates me the most about Scholz is his absolute unwillingness to explain his rationale on anything. He's an arrogant jackass who develops sudden memory loss when questioned about things. He is that way on every issue. His persistent unwillingness to lay down the rationale driving decisions displays a warped understanding of what elected officials are supposed to do and who they represent. There are politicians in his own coalition who understand this, like Habeck who will go in front of angry oil refinery workers to explain to them why their job may be in danger.

And that's probably the last I'll write about Scholz because I hate that rear end in a top hat from the bottom of my heart and I doubt I can maintain any sort of reasonably detached posting about his person.

The primary problem we have is that we simply do not know the reasoning. When he addressed parliament, he said to "just trust me, bro". If you forced him to answer, he won't remember.

Public opinion is pretty fickle, and the tank "debate" has been so incredibly stupid I don't doubt it heavily weighted on polls. People voted for a male Merkel though, who was a weather vane on every issue. But since nobody's talking, who the gently caress knows what drives decisions.

There is one line that has been leading German policy, which is that it will not act without a broad consensus, i.e. without others also having skin in the game as well.

The Wehrpflicht has much more to do with the simple problem that the Bundeswehr is severely suffering from a lack of soldiers which is putting several goals at risk, including NATO commitments. However, the problems with it haven't been solved, so the answer to Pistorius is "lol no".

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dull Fork posted:

Regular drafts aren't uncommon or quite so controversial outside the United States. 100% volunteer armies are more the exception than the rule.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Vox Nihili posted:

Regular drafts aren't uncommon or quite so controversial outside the United States. 100% volunteer armies are more the exception than the rule.

People always forget how much bigger the US population is compared to European countries.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vox Nihili posted:

This isn't true at all

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Compulsory Service is a better term than Draft. At least for us dipshits in the US. Draft is ‘oh hey you’re of age come fight and die’ VS hey you have to do you two years before you go to college or whatever.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
It reminds me how several weeks ago there was a rumor that Poland is going to bring back compulsory military service and reactions were about as positive as you might expect.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1620546991968100354

:getin: if true

E:
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1620550484263325698

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This isn't true at all

OP is technically/objectively incorrect but it was mentioned previously (and it's a fair point too) that it used to be very common in Europe until countries largely gave up on non-grift related military expenditure after the USSR collapsed, which included ending mandatory military service.

Since we're talking about Germany potentially reintroducing it, here's the status/history of conscription from wikipedia for the European Union member states, so you can compare.. to me it shows that this was pretty normal until relatively recently. Definitely within living memory for significant chunks of the population, but probably not for the kids who would be called into it

e: forgot to timg it

boofhead fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 31, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This isn't true at all

I think costa rica and panama are reversed here

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Flavahbeast posted:

I think costa rica and panama are reversed here
Costa Rica abolished their military in 1949, Panama in 1990.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
fatherboxx has graciously agreed to IK this thread. Feel free to offer them your condolences. We may (hopefully) yet find a second IK.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

:rip:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

fatherboxx has graciously agreed to IK this thread. Feel free to offer them your condolences. We may (hopefully) yet find a second IK.

:toot:

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

Long may he defend the thread, should the Tankies return

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Fritz the Horse posted:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
f, but also thanks

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mild :nms: warning - dude shows off his mostly healed war scars and for some vivid descriptions of frontline combat

This is an interview with one of the guys in the CivDiv video who was wounded by artillery shortly after the video ended. He talks about what fighting is like, what it was like being wounded and funneled through the CCP to the field hospital to a city hospital to recuperate.
The casualty recovery in Ukraine seems to be pretty good, but still not pleasant. He also discusses how the Russians behaved in combat against him, what surrenders looked like and how BMPs have a shitload more armor than you'd think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjqUQgnq3o

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fritz the Horse posted:

Tossing back a vodka in respect of our poor IK.

"Будем здоровы!"

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 1, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That’s the ARC Integrity. I’ve boarded that vessel in the past for work.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dull Fork posted:

Thanks for explaining. Its interesting to me that the draft is looked upon in that way. American context for the draft is heavily mixed in with anti-war sentiment due to its contentious nature around the Vietnam war. I'll admit I'm having trouble seeing compulsory military service as anything but authoritarian, but I can see the argument for it 'moderating' potential extremists that coalesce around state backed violence. National service, beyond just military is a great idea in my opinion though!

If you want some reading related to the subject, I found this essay from the historian Bret Devereaux interesting. Here's a relevant portion (emphasis in original):

quote:

Encouraging soldiers to see themselves as ‘warriors’ means encouraging them to see their role as combatants as the foundational core of their identity. A Mongol warrior was a warrior because as an adult male Mongol, being a warrior was central to his gender-identity and place in society (the Mongols being a society, as common with Steppe nomads, where all adult males were warriors); such a Mongol remained a warrior for his whole adult life. Likewise, a medieval knight – who I’d class as a warrior (remember, the distinction is on identity more than unit fighting) – had warrior as a core part of their identity. It is striking that, apart from taking religious orders to become a monk (and thus shift to an equally totalizing vocation), knights – especially as we progress through the High Middle Ages as the knighthood becomes a more rigid and recognized institution – do not generally seem to retire. They do not lay down their arms and become civilians (and just one look at the attitude of knightly writers towards civilians quickly answers the question as to why). Being a warrior was the foundation of their identity and so could not be disposed of. We could do the same exercise with any number of ‘warrior classes’ within various societies. Those individuals were, in effect born warriors and they would die warriors. In societies with meaningful degrees of labor specialization, to be a warrior was to be, permanently, a class apart.

Creating such a class apart (especially one with lots of weapons) presents a tremendous danger to civilian government and consequently to a free society (though it is also a danger to civilian government in an unfree society). As the interests of this ‘warrior class’ diverge from the interests of the rest of society, even with the best of intentions the tendency is going to be for the warriors to seek to preserve their interests and status with the tools they have, which is to say all of the weapons (what in technical terms we’d call a ‘failure of civil-military relations,’ civ-mil being the term for the relationship between civil society and its military). The end result of that process is generally the replacement of civilian self-government with ‘warrior rule.’ In pre-modern societies, such ‘warrior rule’ took the form of governments composed of military aristocrats (often with the chiefest military aristocrat, the king, at the pinnacle of the system); the modern variant, rule by officer corps (often with a general as the king-in-all-but-name) is of course quite common. Because of that concern, it is generally well understood that keeping the cultural gap between the civilian and military worlds as small as possible is important to a free society.

Instead, what a modern free society wants are effectively civilians, who put on the soldier’s uniform for a few years, acquire the soldier’s skills and arts, and then when their time is done take that uniform off and rejoin civil society as seamlessly as possible (the phrase ‘citizen-soldier’ is often used represent this ideal). It is clear that, at least for the United States, the current realization of this is less than ideal. The endless pressure to ‘re-up‘ (or for folks to be stop-lossed) hardly help. But encouraging soldiers (or people in everyday civilian life; we’ll come back to that in the last post in this series) to identify as warriors – individual, self-motivated combatants whose entire identity is bound up in the practice of war – does real harm to the actual goal of keeping the cultural divide between soldiers and civilians as small as possible. Observers both within the military and without have been shouting the alarm on this point for some time now, but the heroic allure of the warrior remains strong.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1620616498095226881

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Apparently some better units like VDV have been around Kreminna recently. There were some reports Ukraine had been pushed back in the area and recently it appears they're not only not past Dibrova but it's still apparently Russian controlled and I'd wondered if that had been successful Russian counters.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Small housekeeping update for the thread – I have resigned from being a D&D moderator.

As someone who ate two probes in this thread...thank you for all the work you've done.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

What does IK stand for?

Also in keeping with discussion of current events, what are the most likely targets for Ukraine if they get the longer ranged missiles? It looks like they can strike at what remains of the Black Sea fleet but I'm not sure worthwhile targets they would be since they've been sitting in port for awhile (AFAIK).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Idiot King, I believe.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Yes. Thread-specific mini-mods, usually.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Does fatherboxx know he's an IK? It'd be bleakly thread-appropriate if he woke up and found himself with mod buttons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Picked off the streets to be mobilized as an IK, that's appropriate.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

TK-42-1 posted:

Compulsory Service is a better term than Draft. At least for us dipshits in the US. Draft is ‘oh hey you’re of age come fight and die’ VS hey you have to do you two years before you go to college or whatever.

I don't think it's even two years in most cases. In Denmark for example it's usually between 4 and 12 months.

I get the impression that these days, for the smaller european nations at least, conscription is more about keeping the Basic Training pipeline continually active rather than getting actual labor out of the conscripts.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
lol fatherboxx issuing probes and bans that he'll rescind, if you buy avs and start accounts that he can sell on the side