Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Shaocaholica posted:

Dang it I might want to get a almost maxxed out 16" MBP M2. That kind of spec out is probably not something that goes on sale often or at all?

Yeah most sales are on what stores stock rather than BTOs, so for the 16" that'd be one of the 3 configs you see on Apple's store page. So if you require > 32 GB of RAM or > 1TB internal SSD, you're out of luck. You could wait until something that meets your requirements gets put on the refurb store, but you could be waiting a while for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can you finance refurb store items on the Apple Card?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Apple retail stores also will sell an ‘ultimate’ spec of the new machines, that’s technically a BTO but will be kept in stores for sale off the shelf.

It’s normally the fastest processor, 4 Tb of storage, and 64gb of memory.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My M2 MBP is apparently in the area and I’m going to go goddamn nuts if it doesn’t show up tomorrow.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Splinter posted:

Yeah most sales are on what stores stock rather than BTOs, so for the 16" that'd be one of the 3 configs you see on Apple's store page. So if you require > 32 GB of RAM or > 1TB internal SSD, you're out of luck. You could wait until something that meets your requirements gets put on the refurb store, but you could be waiting a while for that.
There's some online places that sell BTO iirc, Adorama and B&H come to mind, and they'll occasionally have modest discounts.

I'm guessing they might show up occasionally on the refurb site, which should be a way better deal if you can find what you want.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks.

Is there a breakdown of MBP M2 SSD performance per storage tier? Something about the M2 512G tier being slower than the M1 512G tier. For me I’m deffo getting 2T or higher.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shaocaholica posted:

Can you finance refurb store items on the Apple Card?

You can charge refurb store items to the Apple Card. You can't do installments for them though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks.

Is there a breakdown of MBP M2 SSD performance per storage tier? Something about the M2 512G tier being slower than the M1 512G tier. For me I’m deffo getting 2T or higher.
Probably somewhere on Reddit or MacRumors forums, or the various YouTube videos that say "DON'T BUY UNTIL YOU WATCH THIS" and the ilk.

SourKraut posted:

You can charge refurb store items to the Apple Card. You can't do installments for them though.
There's the Apple Pay Later thing (not out yet?)...but from searching around looks like it's pretty short term anyway, 4 payments over 6 weeks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Before I went to the M1Pro last year I was rocking a 2018 i7 A1989 MBP where I’d physically hosed up the keyboard trying to remove some crap that lodged itself under a few keys. Obvious thing to do would have been to just take it to the fruit stand to do the keyboard replacement program, but at that point I’d just plowed through it and made things worse and I just assumed that Apple would tell me to go pound sand when they saw mangled/snapped butterfly mechanisms, so I wrote it off thinking I’d just use an external KB if I ever wanted to use it again.

Fast forward to this MBP having sat under my desk unused and unloved ever since, and today I decided to be ballsy and ordered a replacement keyboard unit for it. $90 investment and I can either try to flip the laptop or maybe hang onto it for when I need to run that last Intel native app without rosetta (cough Fusion360 cough). The disassembly looks difficult but not impossible. And really when I say it looks difficult, it just looks /tedious/ but if you don’t yank on small ribbon cables it doesn’t look particularly dangerous.

Anyone have experience doing this, or is everyone actually of sound mind unlike me?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It is tedious to do any work on a 2016-2020 Intel MBP that involves a battery change, keyboard replacement (they're both basically the same thing, replacement of the top case assembly) or logic board because they all involve a near total disassembly of the laptop.

You are 100% right when you say it's tedious; its all careful removal of tiny ribbon cables, tiny connectors, and tiny screws that are literally at the limit of human manipulability, and it must be done in the right order

So long as you have a method of carefully setting aside the parts for ordered retrieval like a magnetic pad or a compartmented tray, and you allow yourself plenty of time and don't rush, it should be doable

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The laptop came in :toot:

Everything seems great and it feels solid as hell, but I was mildly surprised to find that the box it came in was kind of dirty. The shipping box was sealed up pretty good so I’m not sure what happened. It’s not a big deal and the laptop itself is pristine so idgaf.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Shaocaholica posted:

Does Apple let people download and run random apps on their store display models?

I think you can as long as it doesn't require admin privileges.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So this neural engine part of the SOC. What kind of practical workloads does it support? I think people are thinking it will make Macs do AI art faster but pretty sure that's not how AI art generation works is it? It's all behind the scenes housekeeping crypto work right? Not user workloads like image filters and such.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

So this neural engine part of the SOC. What kind of practical workloads does it support? I think people are thinking it will make Macs do AI art faster but pretty sure that's not how AI art generation works is it? It's all behind the scenes housekeeping crypto work right? Not user workloads like image filters and such.

no.. i think it's supposed to make ai art generation faster? i don't understand this poo poo though

https://machinelearning.apple.com/research/stable-diffusion-coreml-apple-silicon

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My new MPB arrives Monday. What's the best option for cloning an SSD? I'd prefer to simply clone my 2018 Intel MBP to the new one, but if that's not the best option, tell me. My 2018 was also cloned from a mid-2012 MBP, and I don't know if that's an issue. I don't know if a clone of a clone will lead to problems.

Obviously, I don't want to manually re-install every single piece of software if I don't have to.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shaocaholica posted:

It's a coprocessor accessible through Apple's Core ML framework. So no, it is not just for behind the scenes crypto work. (It's not intended to run cryptography algorithms at all, though I'm sure in theory it could.)

Apple ships a bunch of features which depend on the Neural Engine with the OS. For example, in Monterey and one of the recent iOS releases, they added a feature called Live Text, which adds realtime OCR to lots of system provided apps (Preview, Safari, camera app on iPhone). On the Mac, hover the mouse cursor over text in an image and if Live Text recognizes it, you'll get the text selection cursor and will be able to select text and copy it to the clipboard.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Lincoln posted:

My new MPB arrives Monday. What's the best option for cloning an SSD? I'd prefer to simply clone my 2018 Intel MBP to the new one, but if that's not the best option, tell me. My 2018 was also cloned from a mid-2012 MBP, and I don't know if that's an issue. I don't know if a clone of a clone will lead to problems.

Obviously, I don't want to manually re-install every single piece of software if I don't have to.

I bought a thunderbolt cable. When you do first boot on your new machine it'll ask you if you want to import data / user accounts / etc from another Mac with Migration Assistant, and if you do that there will be an option to connect the two machines with thunderbolt.

It might also work over WiFi, I don't remember if that was an option. I was happy with Thunderbolt because the migration went really really fast and I thought I might have future uses for the cable.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I think in theory if something uses CoreML, that'll distribute work to whatever is available, including the Neural Engine. I found some older write up (i.e. pre ARM Macs) saying it had whatever limitations, so stuff could just be running on GPU and/or CPU if the Neural Engine couldn't handle it. No clue how the newer chips compare.

But anyway one example of user workloads, Pixelmator's Super Resolution upscale thing uses CoreML and apparently runs really fast on the ARM Macs:
https://www.pixelmator.com/blog/2019/12/17/all-about-the-new-ml-super-resolution-feature-in-pixelmator-pro/
https://twitter.com/pixelmator/status/1329396180917362688

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

anybody with M1 or M2 machines have Stable Diffusion installed? I'm considering upgrading just for the AI art abilities. I'm curious how fast they are on base machines, like an m1 air or mini with 8gigs of ram. I know I need to upgrade machines at some point, but If even a base air can run batches of images well I'm hoping to get a good deal then on a base air for that for awhile.
(I'm currently using a 2015 MacBook pro with 128 SSD and 16 gigs of ram, and a late 2015 iMac 5K as my work machine. I suspect for even photo shop a base m1 machine is faster than both, but I don't want to think about that just yet).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do the latest Intel/AMD chips have anything like the AS neural engine?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shaocaholica posted:

Do the latest Intel/AMD chips have anything like the AS neural engine?

The Nvidia and Intel GPUs do. I guess Intel's QuickSync feature on their CPUs kinda counts? though it is for something far more specific.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kibner posted:

The Nvidia and Intel GPUs do. I guess Intel's QuickSync feature on their CPUs kinda counts? though it is for something far more specific.

QuickSync is not under the coreml umbrella but video toolbox. It doesn't expose metal or opencl.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SlowBloke posted:

QuickSync is not under the coreml umbrella but video toolbox. It doesn't expose metal or opencl.

It is still dedicated silicon that frees up the rest of the CPU to do other non-related things. I don't think the Tensor cores or whatever the new stuff in Nvidia GPUs or whatever Intel is calling their AI cores in their ARC GPUs are under the CoreML umbrella, either, but are basically the same thing as the AS Neural Engine.

The AMD GPUs don't have any cores for that kind of thing as they just use shaders to do it all. Not sure if they have dedicated hardware for video encoding.

It really depends on what exactly kind of thing the OP is talking about.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Lincoln posted:

It will sync up with the magic of Apple OP. There’s no need to do android style hard drive finagling

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My MacMini got bumped up from the 17th to the 7th, so that's nice!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Aye, my 16” went from the 20th to the 8th.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah and my 14” is scheduled to deliver this Monday instead of next Wednesday. Hope it’s true.

Edit: look, as a small business owner, I understand the concept of “under-promise, over-deliver,” but I’m not buying socks, I’m buying an overpriced notebook computer. Please try to be accurate.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 3, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My dbrand skin came in today and a few things have become very clear:
1. I am an idiot
2. Unsurprisingly a 13’ MBP skin does not fit the 14’ one that I have. I’m not even sure how I managed that.
3. The leather skins are lid only and there doesn’t seem to be a way to either get leather for the rest of the laptop or mix and match with another wrap for coverage there either (It being lid only is communicated but only in a way if you know what to look for, see: #1)
4. The packaging and item quality are extremely nice.

The return/exchange process seem painless enough but I’m a bit torn. I’d love to put a leather wrap on this thing but not enough to order two skins to do so. Also the 14’ version I need is on preorder so I’d have to wait on that.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Everyone, don't forget what Mac's are great for... Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnDAkZLXkPA

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

people keep saying it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Buhh. My A1989 13” MBP keyboard replacement project hit a bit of a snag.

Looks like the keyboard is literally riveted in place, as well as using some even smaller T-bit I don’t own, so I’ve got to put the carcass aside and regroup with the proper tools.

Taking the unit apart was actually much less of a hassle than I imagined, until I got to the keyboard. Then it got very frustrating very quickly. But honestly I’m at the point where I’m ready to just part out the LCD/touchpad/misc parts if I do gently caress this up, so I’m being kind of zen about fixing a laptop I forgot I even owned for the last year and change.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2009 MP
12core
24G
GTX680 2G

For $300 local pickup?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Space heaters are generally less these days.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

some kinda jackal posted:

Buhh. My A1989 13” MBP keyboard replacement project hit a bit of a snag.

Looks like the keyboard is literally riveted in place, as well as using some even smaller T-bit I don’t own, so I’ve got to put the carcass aside and regroup with the proper tools.

It is indeed riveted! When you said you'd ordered a replacement keyboard unit, I thought you meant you ordered the part Apple service techs would replace if you brought the computer to them for keyboard service, which is the entire top case assembly (consisting of the aluminum housing, keyboard, and a glued-on battery). Apple's own techs can't even order a keyboard by itself, how'd you manage to find one? Was it a shady listing on ebay or amazon or something?

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

Shaocaholica posted:

2009 MP
12core
24G
GTX680 2G

For $300 local pickup?

Any 2018 mini you find will be faster real world. The memory bus and difficulty of making nvme work severely hamper it and you’d need to budget for a more modern GPU if you don’t want to stick to pre-Catalina.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Please don’t buy a 10+ year old computer

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hey, Snow Leopard will fly on that thing!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

2009 MP
12core
24G
GTX680 2G

For $300 local pickup?

Please do not buy that for that price

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaocaholica posted:

2009 MP
12core
24G
GTX680 2G

For $300 local pickup?

I'd say that's a $100 computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

BobHoward posted:

It is indeed riveted! When you said you'd ordered a replacement keyboard unit, I thought you meant you ordered the part Apple service techs would replace if you brought the computer to them for keyboard service, which is the entire top case assembly (consisting of the aluminum housing, keyboard, and a glued-on battery). Apple's own techs can't even order a keyboard by itself, how'd you manage to find one? Was it a shady listing on ebay or amazon or something?

Definitely not the upper enclosure; From one of those “fix it” sites so not a shady ebay seller but definitely third party so probably sourced from the same. At this point I’m in so I’ll give it a crack and if it doesn’t go well I’m pretty Ok to cut my losses.