Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ok I just threw my 30 year old craftsman soldering iron in the trash. Recommendations for a good cheap one. All I want it for is splicing together wires I don’t work on boards or anything too delicate.

F’in spent 30-40 minutes splicing two overdrive switch wires together with like one inch to work with. One second it would be hotter than the sun the next it wouldn’t melt the solder and no onee wants to hear this story. It’s 20 degrees out and I’m finished tell me what to order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
TS100. I don't think there's a better bang for the buck and it's a great size for doing jobs like that in situ.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Salami Surgeon posted:

TS100. I don't think there's a better bang for the buck and it's a great size for doing jobs like that in situ.

Looking up now

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I second the TS100, I have one I use with a powerbank and it's real nice to have this really slender and light iron with a really flexible cable just going into my pocket with the power bank for working on cars and stuff, the temperature control is dead on and it heats up in seconds. I even ended up selling my soldering station because it was pretty much redundant.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
TS100 is good, but you might have to hack up some power supplies since it has a barrel jack input that didn't match anything I had at the necessary voltage. I made an adapter to power it from a Makita battery but if I had to get something now, I'd consider the TS80 or Pencil instead, which have USB-C in, so you can use any power supply or powerbank directly

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32904980528.html
https://hackspace.raspberrypi.com/articles/pinecil-soldering-iron-review / https://pine64.com/product/pinecil-smart-mini-portable-soldering-iron/

hell for $25 I'll probably get one when it's in stock so I have two. It's even compatible with the same tips.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 1, 2023

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Yeah I was confused, I meant the TS80

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

TS100 is good, but you might have to hack up some power supplies since it has a barrel jack input that didn't match anything I had at the necessary voltage. I made an adapter to power it from a Makita battery but if I had to get something now, I'd consider the TS80 or Pencil instead, which have USB-C in, so you can use any power supply or powerbank directly

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32904980528.html
https://hackspace.raspberrypi.com/articles/pinecil-soldering-iron-review / https://pine64.com/product/pinecil-smart-mini-portable-soldering-iron/

hell for $25 I'll probably get one when it's in stock so I have two. It's even compatible with the same tips.

I have a computer repair store I’m sure I’d have a power supply BUT…

I’m not spending $100+ on this solution (but if you had offered this to me in my yard today I would have)

I only need a portable solution to last a few seconds. If I’m repairing something electrical it’s rare but when I do I’d have the wires ready zap zap soldered done.

Checking this link I can stomach $25

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I have a Pinecil and it's nice. I use it with a power bank or a USB-C PD charger. Shipping took a little while since it was coming from China but it's been really solid so far. It heats up a lot faster than my old soldering station and the display is clear. I don't love the two button interface but it's workable especially since I'm usually just setting the temperature I want.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rexxed posted:

I have a Pinecil and it's nice. I use it with a power bank or a USB-C PD charger. Shipping took a little while since it was coming from China but it's been really solid so far. It heats up a lot faster than my old soldering station and the display is clear. I don't love the two button interface but it's workable especially since I'm usually just setting the temperature I want.

I got power banks out the rear end. Looking now

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Pinecil is the best thing in that form factor and price range, by far.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

taqueso posted:

Pinecil is the best thing in that form factor and price range, by far.

Sounds like a winner I’ll order

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm about the biggest ts100 stan out there, but the pinecil is notably cheaper (and the ts100 is already a great deal) and barely slower to heat up. I do have a bunch more Bosch 18v batteries than I have power banks though so different strokes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone seen the Pencil actually in stock? It's not on that site I linked and doesn't seem to exist on aliexpress.

There's also an even cheaper version, I have this :fivecbux: thing as well. It works fine from a regular USB-A, really its only problem is the annoying capacitive switch which can be replaced however.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867682268.html

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone seen the Pencil actually in stock? It's not on that site I linked and doesn't seem to exist on aliexpress.

There's also an even cheaper version, I have this :fivecbux: thing as well. It works fine from a regular USB-A, really its only problem is the annoying capacitive switch which can be replaced however.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867682268.html

I've used a few of those $5 USB ones and they're fine for being portable and heat up quick but they have no kind of good temp control, and yeah, the capacitive switch is awful. I got my Pincecil in March of 2021 from Pine64, so it was in stock then, but I haven't tried to buy one recently.

Ameridroid has some in stock, presumably in the US (they seem to have a store in CA), but they're $38 instead of $25.
https://ameridroid.com/products/pinecil-v2-soldering-iron

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I need opinions.

As I posted in the genchat thread, I recently took delivery of this little fella:

Slowly starting to fill it up (it's positively cavernous, by the way) and the 1/2" drawer looks like this:

Having the boxes in there closed is obviously not going to cut it, so it's either take the inserts out, or cut the hinges and take off the lids of the boxes, ruining them in the process.

The inserts are flimsy and not super on their own. On the other hand, if I ruin the boxes I'll never be able to lend out a set or bring it with me somewhere.

Edit: Bonus Wera/wrench drawer:

bolind fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 7, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That is one hell of a toolbox. My two cents is you should make sheet metal or cardboard boxes for the inserts. Don’t wreck those beautiful green things.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Shadowbox it and save the little boxes

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bolind posted:

I need opinions.

As I posted in the genchat thread, I recently took delivery of this little fella:

Slowly starting to fill it up (it's positively cavernous, by the way) and the 1/2" drawer looks like this:

Having the boxes in there closed is obviously not going to cut it, so it's either take the inserts out, or cut the hinges and take off the lids of the boxes, ruining them in the process.

I was ready to say toss the boxes. Those look like they're the most compact and organized way to store the contents. Do you have a way to make them easier to open?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For rizzles. Keep the boxes and make small wooden ones for the inserts.

Or see if the dollar store has plastic containers that are the same size or just slightly bigger than what the insert sizes are. Smaller obviously isn't good, but slightly bigger is probably ok, you can add a bit of stuffing or something.

If you know someone who does a bit of wood working they could probably make you some dope boxes out of wood

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Foam rubber and a hot wire cutter should do the trick nicely, but I wouldn't bother until you've settled in fully and used it for a while and determined if there's anything annoying about your arrangement. I like to keep metric, SAE, metric 12 point, and SAE 12 point on different color socket rails or in different drawers for example so I can easily distinguish them, and I keep my metric knuckle swivel gearwrenches in the SAE gearwrench drawer because it allows me to tell at a glance whether I'm grabbing the right kind before I even check if it's the right size. It cuts my search time in the drawer pile-o-wrenches by 50%.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Also vote keep the boxes. Maybe some sort of lay flat socket trays for in the drawer, and keep the boxes in a cabinet?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Make your own socket trays from CNC-routed 12mm baltic birch plywood.

It will be cheap, maybe $15 per tray.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks for all the input.

Unfortunately I have small kids and a long todolist, so very little time to make things super optimized, for now. Long term plan is to make a super OCD custom storage solution, with every socket from 6 to 50mm lined up, but for now, time-to-market is king. The CNC cut plywood is interesting, I did consider something like that.

Tangentially related: I have devised a product in my head that I don't understand no one makes. Imagine a 1/2" cube of metal with a countersunk hole for a wood screw drilled through it. On the opposite face of the countersink (sp?), each corner has a little protrusion. You buy a bag of these, find yourself a nice sheet of plywood in a fitting size, and screw these down. Presto, socket storage. The little protrusions bite into the wood, ensuring the don't rotate.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
There is a product called Toolgrid, which involves a mat of pre-drilled holes and various little injection molded plastic holders that you can put sockets, wrenches, ratchets etc on. I have the socket drawer on my tool box set up with it and I think it’s great. Let me line up all my sockets by size even the mismatched oddball ones.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Frank Dillinger posted:

There is a product called Toolgrid, which involves a mat of pre-drilled holes and various little injection molded plastic holders that you can put sockets, wrenches, ratchets etc on. I have the socket drawer on my tool box set up with it and I think it’s great. Let me line up all my sockets by size even the mismatched oddball ones.

Well, I never wanted a super organized toolbox until I saw this...

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

bolind posted:

Imagine a 1/2" cube of metal with a countersunk hole for a wood screw drilled through it.

You could 3D print these. Use a plastic friction ring or rubber o-ring for socket retention. You probably don't want to grip the socket as tightly as a traditional ball detent.

e: Standard Square Drives for Socket Tools ASA B5.38-1958

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 8, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

You could 3D print these. Use a plastic friction ring or rubber o-ring for socket retention. You probably don't want to grip the socket as tightly as a traditional ball detent.

e: Standard Square Drives for Socket Tools ASA B5.38-1958

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3048511

It's a clearly good idea that someone already solved.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Frank Dillinger posted:

Ooooh that's looks nifty. And a European distributor too!

Did a little bit of everything with my boxes. The plastic ones are kinda crappy so I knocked the pins out of the hinges. The smaller steel ones I took the insert out, and used those. The big original set, which has some sentimental value*, has the lid permanently open, propped up on some foam to make it level, and more stuff sits in there. That way I can take it out and take it with me in a pinch, if needed.

*) It was one of the first big tool purchases I made, twenty-odd years ago, and it was a fairly large expense at the time (I think it was around EUR100). When I came home and checked the receipt, it turned out the store labelled it as a single socket instead of the entire set, and no one, including myself, caught it, so I paid under EUR10 for it. I was a poor university student working for like eight bucks an hour under the table, so that was like winning the lottery.

bolind fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 9, 2023

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Years ago I started to clean my work area. It went... okay... until life threw some more pressing things into the mix.

meatpimp posted:

Making progress. I'm also tackling the 16' wall of shelves during the project. Probably 2 days of work done at this point and a random glance doesn't show it looking much different. :mad:

Well, I have taken a lot of time through the beginning of this year bringing order to the chaos. There are pictures in this thread of when I first set up my slatwall and shelving, but man... it's seen some poo poo since then.

Right now, I've got the Escalade back in the garage, which is the first time there's been a car in that bay in over a year. And I have my CNC table built and nearly finished, almost ready to do final frame setup on the CNC and get to actually making the machine.

But first, I cleared out my work area. Every item was taken off the wall/shelves/whatever, considered, and either kept or discarded. My trash guys cannot be happy with me. Weeks of heavy rear end contractor bags filled with... things that accumulated.

Now it pales in comparison with Bolind's beautiful layout, but this should get me functional again:

Yes, I sold the ancient, awesome, vise. I simply didn't need something that heavy, plus I sold it for a tidy profit. The only down side to the Wilton knockoff I have is that it's lagged into the 4x8 leg of the workbench, so it's immobile. That creates a workflow consideration issue when I go to use the miter saw with long objects. But I'll deal.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 10, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Could you possibly put metal inserts in the 4x8 from the side, and use machine bolts instead of lag bolts so it can be removed in a few minutes without tearing up the wood and eventually stripping the holes? A forstner bit, chisel, and some T nuts might do the job.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Could you possibly put metal inserts in the 4x8 from the side, and use machine bolts instead of lag bolts so it can be removed in a few minutes without tearing up the wood and eventually stripping the holes? A forstner bit, chisel, and some T nuts might do the job.

I'm pretty okay with it, as-is. I knew that from the outset, and even with the vise out of the way, that only gets me another foot and a half or so.

I thought about that when I mounted the miter saw, and aligned the saw with the 16' of shelving I have to the left so the uprights end up as alignment stops.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I can’t believe it, but it works great!!

For $11 I am beyond happy. Works exactly as advertised will make radio installs and little simple repairs in place a breeze

US $8.04 20% Off | Wireless Charging Electric Soldering Iron Solder Iron USB 5V8W Fast Charging lithium battery Portable Repair Welding Tools
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKawwpC

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Any of y'all mfs ever use one of these "tite reach" socket uhhhh Extensions?

They seem like they're pretty neat, but also maybe they're more gimmiky than anything.

No website, but they sell them on Nozama.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tite-Reach-Pr...77720017&sr=8-2

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I have a couple and they’re pretty good for very niche use cases where you can’t swing a ratchet or wrench and there’s no room to use extensions. Mine are MAC, lifetime warranty. I reach for them maaaaaaybe every 6 months or so, pretty rarely do they save the day. YMMV.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

Any of y'all mfs ever use one of these "tite reach" socket uhhhh Extensions?

They seem like they're pretty neat, but also maybe they're more gimmiky than anything.

No website, but they sell them on Nozama.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tite-Reach-Pr...77720017&sr=8-2

That thing is ten times as much as I expected it to be. I'd love a cheap version though

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
$222 wtf? If a truck drive up while I was cursing my existence in a rain soaked driveway yeah otherwise drat

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not sure why that particular one is so expensive, but they have much cheaper versions.

TTC did a comparison of some
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK2jfJLKrK4

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Video Results: most expensive = best, cheapest = worst

you win this time, snap-on man

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That was pretty much the first one I clicked on, on Amazon, but I think it might be so expensive because its rated for impact use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I am looking for a new worklight, as currently I have the yellow halogens from the dollar store or something that I was given as a gift. Two of the bulbs have burnt out, and so instead of replacing parts on something I hate, Im going to get soemthing new. I have Milwaukee M18 stuff currently for cordless, so I was thinking of getting a 2131-20 tower.
Anyone have any opinions on it? I am in Canada so I don't get the good packages where you get free batteries if you pay more, but I am pretty tired of bad lights when painting and other house work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!