Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Turning a new shaft for a 19th century wind mill near by where I live:

https://i.imgur.com/eYPlf5n_lq.mp4

Know the guy doing the turning, to get the rest of it done he went home and forged a giant skew blade from some old farm equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Turning a new shaft for a 19th century wind mill near by where I live:

https://i.imgur.com/eYPlf5n_lq.mp4

Know the guy doing the turning, to get the rest of it done he went home and forged a giant skew blade from some old farm equipment.

That looks… interesting. Wouldn’t call it fun.

Could they not do some kind of chainsaw blade filed across at a bias or something?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Might have to do with it being a museum restoration.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They should use a bicycle instead of a hand crank!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Since it's a one off maybe they thought a crank was good enough, here's it nearing completion and the home forged skew chisel:
https://i.imgur.com/DN6SeTD.mp4

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's a big rear end skew.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just Winging It posted:

no it's a big wood skew

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Just Winging It posted:

Let's hope it doesn't go askew!
Pretty nice looking for home forged.

Props to the unnamed turner who's turning that log.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Mambold posted:

Props to the unnamed turner who's turning that log.

That's what apprentices are for, right?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ever wondered who does luthier work on the Stradivarius violins worth $10M+? There's a short list of masters you'd trust with it, and here's an article about the best one.

quote:

There are other luthiers with expertise in instruments from the Italian craftsman’s golden period, from 1700 to 1725, but master violin restorers are rare — around 20 worldwide now — and Becker is widely regarded as the best. At 64, he has worked on more than 120 Stradivarius violins — likely more, he says, than any other living person.

https://www.chicagomag.com/chicago-magazine/january-2023/the-violin-doctor/

Really cool look into a craftsman with a truly unique skill set, restoring 18th century instruments with period techniques and tools.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

quote:

Becker, like most high-end luthiers, prefers hide glue because it is water soluble, which makes reworking previous repairs easier, and elastic, which allows it to expand and contract with the wood over time.

I'm not sure why the writer emphasized water soluble when the critical property of hide glue is it's reversibility and ability to stick to itself. Two qualities without which these instruments would have been consigned to the firewood pile centuries ago.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

quote:

The new sound post will be a tenth of a millimeter taller than the current one

That level of precision from a person is hard to comprehend.

Edit: Also $125 an hour seems cheap to be touching something that isn’t replaceable

Calidus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 30, 2023

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Ever wondered who does luthier work on the Stradivarius violins worth $10M+? There's a short list of masters you'd trust with it, and here's an article about the best one.

https://www.chicagomag.com/chicago-magazine/january-2023/the-violin-doctor/

Really cool look into a craftsman with a truly unique skill set, restoring 18th century instruments with period techniques and tools.

$125 an hour sounds crazy cheap, especially when you consider he has to pay for the workshop space in downtown chicago. And probably huge insurance

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Not mention needing a museum level water, fire and security setup.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That $125/hr shocked me too. Pretty sure I've paid more than that for the boneheads at a suburban Phoenix Honda dealership to wrench on my minivan.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

would not remotely be surprised if he settled there cause if he charges a dollar an hour more the guys buying and selling Stradivarii just try to make their lawn guy do it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
From the absolute highs of woodworking on irreplaceable violins to my peasant level projects.
I put a new 24T blade on my lovely 3hp Craftsman and ripped a bunch of random chunks of oak I had in the shop. I matched them as best as I could, glued, dowelled, and am now planing them square again.

That little flush mounted vise was absolutely handy when combined with a random chunk clamped to my bench to support the tail ends of the boards. I now have a bunch of 2.5” x 2.5” oak cross-supports pre fabbed up for the shop table build. One of the legs I had planned to use had a big ugly knot that ran really deep into it that I hadn’t paid attention to. I need to make some joints in that area, so I’ll work something else out and save the chunks to for something less important.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

would not remotely be surprised if he settled there cause if he charges a dollar an hour more the guys buying and selling Stradivarii just try to make their lawn guy do it.

I'm sure the two types of clients he's got are rich jerks who have a Strad or similar as a collectible and musicians who are actually earning a living with an instrument (worth something between $house and $helicopter). The people in that second group are probably more price sensitive unless they're one of the handful of names you've heard of before.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Many strads are owned by institutions or trusts who lend them long-term to musicians.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

All's I know is that Itzakh Perlman used to book two seats on his flights so that the Strad could be strapped in.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got all the cross-supports levelled out last night. I was a little worried about the difference in heights, but just took my time feeding them all through and got the heights evened out within an hour. I used a different glue on one support before grabbing more TiteBond2, so one support went kinda chalky as it ddidn’t like the garage temps as much as. Lessons.

Clamped them up to check how level they were and not too bad. I still need to cut to length and other stuff, but that’s one chunk of the project ready from basically garbage wood.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Crusty glue / oil / varnish / paint storage chat

E: V V V exceptional post/handle synchronicity 🤌

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 1, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ReelBigLizard posted:

Crusty glue / oil / varnish / paint storage chat

:hfive:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

So this Ryobi is $165 , do just wait for a DW735X sale?

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/AP1305

Edit: wildly different price points but it’s so cheap I have to consider it.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 2, 2023

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Calidus posted:

drat, that's a good deal. In fact it's kind of a "wait, what's wrong with it then?" level of deal

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

feels like everyone who's not Dewalt is struggling to sell their lunchbox planers to the point they might just take a loss on sales just to get woodworkers to acknowledge they exist

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

feels like everyone who's not Dewalt is struggling to sell their lunchbox planers to the point they might just take a loss on sales just to get woodworkers to acknowledge they exist

I got the Ridgid a few years back because it got good reviews and was a lot cheaper than DeWalt and I’m pretty happy with it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ya while I got my Hitachi used it was like $75 in good condition where all the used Dewalts that weren't visibly totaled even in photos were maaaaaybe $50 off their new price

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Calidus posted:

Lunchbox planers are dead simple and that's a great deal. The old shop where I worked had a beat to hell blue ryobi (and blue ryobi was really lovely) lunchbox planer we kept the knives real sharp in and used for figured wood because the cutterhead spun waaaaay faster than the big ancient 24" planer. Sure the 100lb dewalt one is nicer and probably better, but it's not really that much better. They both plane wood, one just maybe does it a little faster.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I ordered one of those planers and I'll report back when it shows up and I get around to using it.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I got a Rigid planer to go along with my Rigid jointer without really thinking about it. Pretty solid though, I like it. Dust collection ain't great but it gets most of it afaict

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

How do you like the jointer? I’ve been waiting for ages for one to pop up on dto.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

ThirstyBuck posted:

How do you like the jointer? I’ve been waiting for ages for one to pop up on dto.

I love it and use it all the time. I will say that when I first set it up I used a shop vac attached to the dust collection port and it wasn't nearly enough, would get clogged up a enough to need to stop after just a few passes. Getting proper dust collection with a 4" hose was key IME.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
On the note of budget jointers, seeing a lot of benchtop 8" jointers with spiral cutter heads and table extensions popping up all looking about the same. Is there a there there, or just skip to the Ridgid 6" as usual?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am thinking about making a new work bench. My existing bench is more of a table than a work bench and it has a number of limitations:

- It’s 18”x72”x39”
- it’s pushed against back wall of my garage so I only can access the a single side.
- It doesn’t have a vise
- I put t track in the top and it mostly works but it really needs a thicker top and longer screws so I don’t rip the track out while clamping stuff down.
- I made it mostly out of scrap: dimensional lumber, two pieces of 18x36x3/4 plywood and deck screws.

I have more tools, experience and I am hopefully less bad at woodworking than I was in 2019.

My current idea is to build a 24”x48”x35 1/2” workbench that can double as an out feed table. Those workbench style fold up casters would let me store it against the side off my garage then move into the middle of my garage when in use.

I keep asking myself:
- Is this to small? I might be make it slightly longer but I am probably not getting to 60”
- Do I bother with t track? I have some left over and I could always take it out of my old bench. I also have t bolts and stuff to make jigs for it.
- What kind of top do I want? Two layers of 3/4” Plywood($80)? Glue up some dimensional lumber($70)? My go to solution for everything “cheap” butcher block($110)? Glue up hardwood $$$$?
- Do I want put my shop vac inside/under this thing so I can easily hook it up to my saw when I am using it as a outfeed table? There probably a bigger what’s my dust collection going to look like question here.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 2, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Calidus posted:

I am thinking about making a new work bench. It’s more of table than a work bench and it has a number of limitations:

- It’s 18”x72”x39”
- it’s pushed against back wall of my garage so I only can access the a single side.
- It doesn’t have a vise
- I put t track in the top and it mostly works but it really needs a thicker top and longer screws so I don’t rip the track out while clamping stuff down.
- I made it mostly out of scrap: dimensional lumber, two pieces of 18x36x3/4 plywood and deck screws.

I have more tools, experience and I am hopefully less bad at woodworking than I was in 2019.

My current idea is to build a 24”x48”x35 1/2” workbench that can double as an out feed table. Those workbench style fold up casters would let me store it against the side off my garage then move into the middle of my garage when in use.

I keep asking myself:
- Is this to small? I might be make it slightly longer but I am probably not getting to 60”
- Do I bother with t track? I have some left over and I could always take it out of my old bench. I also have t bolts and stuff to make jigs for it.
- What kind of top do I want? Two layers of 3/4” Plywood($80)? Glue up some dimensional lumber($70)? My go to solution for everything “cheap” butcher block($110)? Glue up hardwood $$$$?
- Do I want put my shop vac inside/under this thing so I can easily hook it up to my saw when I am using it as a outfeed table? There probably a bigger what’s my dust collection going to look like question here.

If you have room and use for it, an extra surface can always be handy. I have a 30 by 30 or so scrap wood low table that I made as a quick and dirty table saw and planer stand, and while it still finds use in that, it gets a ton of use as a secondary table for glue ups and stuff. I don't think I'd want 24 by 48 as my only work bench, but I guess that depends on the space and what I'm making. I suppose on reflection that most of what I do could be done on that surface.

I like my laminated construction lumber work benches - I have a large one and a low roman one which stores underneath a counter in the edge of my shop. They're easy to add holdfasts to for extra work holding, and the top is rigid enough not to need aprons so that I can clamp on all sides.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’ve really been enjoying my 24” x 96” main workbench more that I put a tool tray on the backside. Makes clearing the table of common items so much faster and the most used stuff is always right there.

All this oak is cut a little long until worked out, but I’m looking at a 11’ x 4’ finished work surface probably. I’m more looking to toss any number of random projects on it and not really worry.

Given the length, I should be looking at a six leg setup instead of normal four, no?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given you seem to be setting up what are beefier than 8x2 fir ceiling joists (which are allowed to span up to 24'), and that if you inset the legs a bit on each end you'll only have like a 6-7' or so span between them, I'd guess that the amount of sag you get between two sets of legs won't be measurable. It also looks like it'll already be extremely heavy. I would not add two more legs. If you do, it won't hurt anything of course. You could add much smaller legs rather than massive ones if you wanted to split the difference.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’ll be using the left over 2x12 chunks after cutting last night.

I’ve got a pair of about 2”x6”x12’ to make into some legs sets rather than that heavy block I picked up earlier. I didn’t have a 12’ straight edge so I had to use a section of the laminated flooring and clamped some angle iron on the end afterwards.

And weight is definitely a thing I’m ready for. I just planned on using the rolling floorjack on one end and some castor bases on the opposite if I have to move it. It’ll probably remain in location until I’m dead and my kids have decide what the gently caress dad was doing in the garage all those years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's probably a way to take your design and do some math and figure out how much deflection you'll get with just 4 legs or something but I have no clue how. My guesstimate though is your four-legged 11' long bench could easily support a half ton pickup truck without deflecting so that's my gut feeling on the matter. :shrug: