Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

TenementFunster posted:

what would a move about vehicular terrorism look like, anyway?

a fast and furious movie where all the pedestrians weren't magically lucky or nonexistent.

literally the exact same movie, except there's dog fur in the grill and a body stuck under the car during the sick drift scenes. no dialogue is changed, because pedestrians don't count as people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

TenementFunster posted:

what would a move about vehicular terrorism look like, anyway? some kid decides to get really sick at drifting so he can start whipping donuts in a middle school library? that would be almost as ridiculous as Dark Legolas.

Well, there was that documentary Tread about the guy who made himself a killdozer.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

jetz0r posted:

a fast and furious movie where all the pedestrians weren't magically lucky or nonexistent.

literally the exact same movie, except there's dog fur in the grill and a body stuck under the car during the sick drift scenes. no dialogue is changed, because pedestrians don't count as people.
i would love to see Tilda Swinson, John C. Reilly, and, uh, I guess, Ezra Miller in DeathRace 3000

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Iron Crowned posted:

I get to watch a video every year about workplace shooters, "Run, Hide, Fight" then sign a piece of paper that says I watched the video.

Last time we had that training, one of my favorite chefs said, "You know, we all have knives." :ese:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

god drat this movie rules

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
stop shooting everybody

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

stop shooting everybody

But then who would we shoot?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

WoodrowSkillson posted:

god drat this movie rules
behind disco, it's the #2 argument for why cocaine should have been legalized in 1977

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TenementFunster posted:

in real life, guns are the tool that hosed-up killers obsess over and use to kill people. mass bowings simply don't happen and made zero sense for a movie set in our present day.

what would a move about vehicular terrorism look like, anyway? some kid decides to get really sick at drifting so he can start whipping donuts in a middle school library? that would be almost as ridiculous as Dark Legolas.

e: lol oh, you were the guy who was getting angry because people don't worry about mass shootings committed with antiques, too.

Do I need to figure out a hypothetical scenario where a crazy teen reenacts Nice but only on other students in order to satisfy your Realism requirements

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Animal-Mother posted:

Last time we had that training, one of my favorite chefs said, "You know, we all have knives." :ese:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"I'm gonna serve you the pudding, Senator...... The blood pudding."

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mastershakeman posted:

Do I need to figure out a hypothetical scenario
no, because the actual scenario occurs in this country with such shocking frequency that it should be obvious even to you!

Active Archers, on the other hand…

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
the book is written and the movie directed by scots. they probably don’t even know about guns

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vomik posted:

the book is written and the movie directed by scots. they probably don’t even know about guns
at least not since 1997, when the UK banned all cartridge-fired handguns in the wake of Scotland’s Dublane school shooting

coincidently, the US’s homicide rate is three times higher than Scotland

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there's a lot of naked david foley in that movie and even that isn't enough to save it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

at least not since 1997, when the UK banned all cartridge-fired handguns in the wake of Scotland’s Dublane school shooting

coincidently, the US’s homicide rate is three times higher than Scotland

I wonder if scotland has a three times more equitable society because they have way less than 1/3rd the guns

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Voice of Labor posted:

I wonder if scotland has a three times more equitable society because they have way less than 1/3rd the guns
"Sure, bringing the US's homicide rate in line with the UK would save approximately 6,000 lives per year, but would it solve inequality?" sounds a lot like

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TenementFunster posted:

no, because the actual scenario occurs in this country with such shocking frequency that it should be obvious even to you!

Active Archers, on the other hand…

Ah yes, movies about school shootings should instead be about suicides or gang shootings since those are more common.

Also I would think USA has 300 times the homicide rate of Scotland. What are they up to up there, drowning people in bogs???

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

"Sure, bringing the US's homicide rate in line with the UK would save approximately 6,000 lives per year, but would it solve inequality?" sounds a lot like

that's a little less than two weeks of covid deaths in the US

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mastershakeman posted:

Ah yes, movies about school shootings should instead be about suicides or gang shootings since those are more common.
school shootings are very common and not at all "hypothetical." you're posting on page 115 of the Mass Shooting thread. there is no Mass Bowing thread.

what is a "gang shooting"? i've only seen that phrase used as a racist dog whistle. i presume you have an alternate, less-common connotation in mind.

Minecraft Holmes posted:

that's a little less than two weeks of covid deaths in the US
what a great excuse not to do anything!

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

it's certainly a great excuse to drive drunk nowadays

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Minecraft Holmes posted:

it's certainly a great excuse to drive drunk nowadays
it gets a lot of people to work on time!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

hilldog is actually stating the opposite of what I cleverly insinuated

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

hilldog is actually stating the opposite of what I cleverly insinuated
how so?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TenementFunster posted:

school shootings are very common and not at all "hypothetical." you're posting on page 115 of the Mass Shooting thread. there is no Mass Bowing thread.

what is a "gang shooting"? i've only seen that phrase used as a racist dog whistle. i presume you have an alternate, less-common connotation in mind.

what a great excuse not to do anything!

Ah ok you're pretending to be dumb as poo poo, how tedious

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm positing that the negative effect (gun violence) will be resolved by material equity.
hillary is positing that the negative effect (racism and sexism) will not be resolved by material equity

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:gas:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Vim Fuego posted:

Imposter Syndrome: A guy on his way to do a mass shooting inadvertently becomes "the good guy with a gun" when the first person he shoots is a mass shooter. His life changes and all his problems are solved but can he handle his deep seated guilt and the knowledge that he's a fraud?

this owns lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

A Bakers Cousin posted:

to make this palatable for american audiences the first guy he shoots is actually a terrorist (ie brown) trying to set off a bomb

edit: he goes on the tv show talking head circuit, etc, oh god this is great

even better

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mastershakeman posted:

Ah ok you're pretending to be dumb as poo poo, how tedious
what is a "gang shooting"? how common are they?

I'm positing that the negative effect (gun violence) will be resolved by material equity.
hillary is positing that the negative effect (racism and sexism) will not be resolved by material equity
what you and hilldog are both doing is using a red herring as a pretext to not do something (arrest bankers and make guns harder to get) that will result in an immediate material improvement to society.

the statistical evidence is overwhelming that gun regulations reduce gun violence in every peer nation where it is tried. we should do it here because it would be good for society. reducing material inequality will probably reduce gun violence, but increased gun regulation will absolutely reduce gun violence.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

"Shootings where they got ready at home" vs "shootings where they wigged out and already happened to have a gun on them" is maybe a more useful distinction. Maybe

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

At least in Philly this is an actual problem affecting black communities, these gangs are usually pretty small and cycles of revenge and social media beefs lead to back and forth shootings, sometimes in more public places. Kids killing each other and whatnot. It's hosed. Not the typical "gang violence" most people imagine. Police make a stink when this affects white people ofc but that's about it

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

what you and hilldog are both doing is using a red herring as a pretext to not do something (arrest bankers and make guns harder to get) that will result in an immediate material improvement to society.

the statistical evidence is overwhelming that gun regulations reduce gun violence in every peer nation where it is tried. we should do it here because it would be good for society. reducing material inequality will probably reduce gun violence, but increased gun regulation will absolutely reduce gun violence.

exactly. no private american citizen should have a gun. have the cops come and take them by force.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Before spraying a bunch of innocent bystanders: "For statistical purposes, we want to let everybody know we're officially members of gangs, so don't worry! Let the hospital know your parking is validated."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dixon Chisholm posted:

exactly. no private american citizen should have a gun. have the cops come and take them by force.

LMAO

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SorePotato posted:

At least in Philly this is an actual problem affecting black communities, these gangs are usually pretty small and cycles of revenge and social media beefs lead to back and forth shootings, sometimes in more public places. Kids killing each other and whatnot. It's hosed. Not the typical "gang violence" most people imagine. Police make a stink when this affects white people ofc but that's about it
so "regular shootings, but done by black people"?

was kinda hoping for a non-racist definition here.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TenementFunster posted:

so "regular shootings, but done by black people"?

was kinda hoping for a non-racist definition here.

haven't you ever heard about the Crips and the Bloods

they're mortal enemies

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Filthy Hans posted:

haven't you ever heard about the Crips and the Bloods
my friend tucker tells me all about them every night from 7-8pm

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Gang shooter = Shooting done for gang reasons and targeted at certain people, if inaccurately.

Mass shooter = High score attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mass shootings are also targeted often like the mushroom farm dude

gang shootings also kill random bystanders all the time.

the difference is the media separates them into "white people be scared now" and "white people be racist now" columns