Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think of my Louis supports he’s only mentioned Tea in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Endorph posted:

yeah diamant gets sol in his class which is Fine but not amazing
i dont know, it's pretty fun having diamant set up Great Aether in a crowd full of enemies, get knocked down to single-digit HP by backup unit attacks, and then restore himself to full health with it

i know that attack is entirely dependent on having Ike on him, but even without that, it's fun having a unit who doesn't need vulneraries because he is sustained entirely by the blood of the enemy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gamerofthegame posted:

i have mixed bag with the revivals

mostly because any time it was a wizard character it became a deadly rush to murder them down, burning through all stones in one turn and gently caress everyone else if need be, where as anytime it was a physical attack it was always far more relaxed

wizards are too deadly, in a mixture of louis gets hard countered and because they're more accurate to your dodge crew. and ofc the boss does a huge amount of damage

admittedly mauvier is the huge stand out everytime he appears while the rest get run over

that's why it's good to have a mage that can serve as a RES tank. For me Citrinne basically never takes any damage from other mages

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I promoted Diamant immediately and he was very good for 3 chapters, and then the game kept throwing good prepromotes at you and he suddenly looked really mediocre

Diamant specifically also seems to have really low base stats, propped up by his royal class, and reclassing him just makes his stats worse rather than better, unlike Alcryst/Fogado into Warrior for example

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
just beat the game, it was good and I'll play again once the expansion pass is complete. I s ranked ivy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

i have mixed bag with the revivals

mostly because any time it was a wizard character it became a deadly rush to murder them down, burning through all stones in one turn and gently caress everyone else if need be, where as anytime it was a physical attack it was always far more relaxed

wizards are too deadly, in a mixture of louis gets hard countered and because they're more accurate to your dodge crew. and ofc the boss does a huge amount of damage

admittedly mauvier is the huge stand out everytime he appears while the rest get run over

Honestly every single revival stone boss so far has been 'bait with tanky unit/lyn clones, then kill all their healthbars or someone will die' with me. The mages are usually easier because they're generally squishier.

Anyway I think we should stop giving you units and force you to recruit everyone on the battlefield. Especially your jeigan.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Eimi posted:

Like I want to stress, here's every bit of wake up dialogue. It's over 4 hours long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRVc2vior_U

It's all voiced. Why did they voice this but cut back on the stuff you see like level up quotes or post battle dialogue?

it's why I'm sad I can't pick who to wake me up. I need citrinne to wake me up more

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Honestly every single revival stone boss so far has been 'bait with tanky unit/lyn clones, then kill all their healthbars or someone will die' with me. The mages are usually easier because they're generally squishier.

Anyway I think we should stop giving you units and force you to recruit everyone on the battlefield. Especially your jeigan.

An entire army of Rallymans.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
The camera in my game got all messed up following Sigurd's paralogue. It starts almost like a FPS camera from Alear's perspective, then when you dash it's glued right to the back of their head. I also move and turn extremely slowly, though dashing thankfully seems to be normal (if disorienting). I've tried restarting the game, reminiscing, going to sleep, bond and support conversations and one story battle. Any way to reset it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I found the Chapter 14 boss pretty challenging because the entrance to the room she's in serves as a choke point that you need to funnel your army through, and she's guarded by 3 other named units, one of which also has a revival stone, and on top of that she calls in reinforcements after you begin fighting her.

RoboCicero posted:

The camera in my game got all messed up following Sigurd's paralogue. It starts almost like a FPS camera from Alear's perspective, then when you dash it's glued right to the back of their head. I also move and turn extremely slowly, though dashing thankfully seems to be normal (if disorienting). I've tried restarting the game, reminiscing, going to sleep, bond and support conversations and one story battle. Any way to reset it?

did you click the right analog stick

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't miss obscure recruits but I do miss difficult ones

Bring back the absurd to recruit enemy general archetype, imo. The Sheena
I love how you re-recruit Shinon in PoR. Beat him with Ike? He dies. Talk to him with Rolf? Nothing happens. Talk to him with Rolf, and land the finishing blow with Ike? Now he lives. We need more rear end in a top hat recruits!!

Harrow posted:

"Watching the Divine Dragon sleep has been a religious observance for a millennium and we're not about to stop now that you wake up sometimes" - all of Elyos, apparently
:allears:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Augus posted:

I found the Chapter 14 boss pretty challenging because the entrance to the room she's in serves as a choke point that you need to funnel your army through, and she's guarded by 3 other named units, one of which also has a revival stone, and on top of that she calls in reinforcements after you begin fighting her.

did you click the right analog stick

that was it, thank you!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they should bring back the shadow dragon paralogues that only unlock if you butcher most of your army so that the game takes pity on you and gives you a chance to recruit some fresh bodies

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I would just like to pop in to mention that the Preparations music for Engage is good

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Hell Radiant Dawn's entire part 4 is basically "here's some random unit, why are they here, who knows, just take them."

"The bird rapist you killed last game won an internal poll to become recruitable. He's alive now and will auto-join if your dancer is just kind of with your murder ball as you reach the end of the stage. Every boss from here on out has unique dialog with him. Why? IDK we thought it was funny."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oliver is cool.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
90% of the effort that went into RD's gutted support system is unique lines for units supported with Oliver and that owns.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Getting characters via story or weird side chapters make much more sense than giving some teen a bunch of gifts then having them leave all their friends to join your class and eventually fight against their own nation.

Varying recruitment goes a long way to informing about a character and I’m sad because that seems to have been abandoned as a concept.

Here’s a list of how you get all the new recruits in Chapter 2 of Genealogy of the Holy War.

Holyn: You beat the arena and then him at the end. He respects your strength and joins your army.

Lachesis: Her castle is under siege and she’s being protected by her NPC paladins. You clear the area and talk to her with Sigurd (her brother’s best friend) and she joins your army.

Lewyn and Sylvia: Lewyn automatically becomes playable after making it partway through the chapter and even though he hasn’t met Sigurd yet he’s a fully-controllable unit, taking initiative to kill the bandits and put down Macbeth, giving insight into his more noble character. Sylvia is also controllable because she tends to latch on to people who show her kindness, and through gameplay the only way to save all the villages is through Sylvia refreshing Lewyn, giving insight into the new strategies that open up with a dancer on your squad.

Beowolf: Beowolf is just some mercenary and anyone who has 10,000 gold can recruit him.

Erinys: Launches an attack on Sigurd’s home base under the mistaken information that Sigurd has taken Lewyn hostage. She can join your side by having Lewyn clear the air.

Mind you, some of these recruitments are one-off. You don’t recruit anyone else through the arena and you can’t hire anymore mercenaries to join your squad. But with these recruitment methods you already kind of get an idea of who these characters are even without support conversations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i don't like this game's version of reclassing. i think it would benefit a lot from

- having a second seal available immediately so you can do stuff with clanne, jean or anna rather than resigning yourself to them sucking for the entire early game
- the proficiency system is a bizarre compromise between 11/12/3h's freeform classes and the 3ds games and i don't think it works at all, though this is partly because the emblem arena function trivialises it
- class skills being strong enough to make me care outside of brave assist making hero the best backup class by a wide margin. there's some unique procs of varying effectiveness, somewhat useful movement abilities, and then a bunch of absolutely terrible conditional ones, and they all require being level 5 promoted.
- having more class skills rather than dumping stuff like speed +2 onto emblems, even if i think there should still be less than the 3ds games or 3h

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yeah the class skills are all over the place, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but I really have to do some theorycrafting on some of these.

Hobble from Wolf Knight is really weird. I guess you can have a longbow user attack, Canter to safety, attack with the Wolf Knight, still not kill, and then guarantee the longbow user is safe? Or throw a knife and be rescued away before repeating? Idk

Mage Knight basically gives a free speed boost on player phase, but Sage raises its attack by a whopping one for every adjacent tome wielder. Maybe if it stacks with Alear’s ability and you reclass Alear you can do the most yolked out Dire Thunder you’ve seen in your life. It’s too big a constraint on team structure and map placement to be worth actually doing though.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Hobble is pretty clearly designed for the enemy rather than for the player, same as Big Shield back in FE4. Which is whatever, Wolf Knights don't really need anything more. Knives are really good!

The class skills are seemingly intended to be more cool bonus things than giant defining features, and I like that, because together with the whole Backup Covert Mystical etc class trait system, it's one more thing pushing against party standardization. Knives are really good and Wolf Knights are generally solid otherwise (and there aren't that many Ridersbane weapons), but no one's talking in the thread about going with a full Wolf Knight squad; Mage Knight and Wyvern Knight have better skills than Sage and Griffon Knight, but similarly, a lot of people have been extolling the latter two over the former two. There've been posts about "wow, flier class stats are really good" but no one's going full flier either. I don't really see any of that changing as people play more.

The giant character-defining build thing is instead who gets what Ring, and that was the right decision for this game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cheetah7071 posted:

If anything, I'd like to see an even stronger reversion to retro style recruitment

Bring back hard mode bonuses too for those.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

hopeandjoy posted:

"The bird rapist you killed last game won an internal poll to become recruitable. He's alive now and will auto-join if your dancer is just kind of with your murder ball as you reach the end of the stage. Every boss from here on out has unique dialog with him. Why? IDK we thought it was funny."

Counterpoint, this was Radiant Dawn's single best idea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think talking to units that aren't generic enemy army units to recruit them is cool, but I didn't grow up playing the earlier games with the weird esoteric ways to recruit characters, so I can't say that I want more Stefans or anything.

Keeping Lilina alive or reaching Jaffar in time before he's worn down by sheer numbers is good stuff, I'd happily welcome that. Maybe another Pent situation where he has no idea that one dude's unique in that army, he doesn't know how this series works and that that guy might be recruitable and we've gotta get over there before he's also turned into a charcoal skeleton! Mainly just keep it memorable. Zihark immediately trading sides if you charge Mordecai or Lethe into him is good stuff and not too complicated since he gets some intro lines about being there to fight sub-humans so that's maybe enough to think to make that happen.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

hopeandjoy posted:

It was funny. It's the only recruitment that's presented as a failure state with Ike going "no really, it's okay, you don't have to defect, I'd be happy to just kill you instead" and Oliver responding "too late I'm blue now."

RD in general has some of the best stupid recruitments, like letting you recruit several of the strongest Dawn Brigade members in act 3, even though the Greil Mercenaries are all top tier and the Dawn Brigade has like three useful core members.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Does Corrin's Draconic Hex stack with itself? Wondering if you can use it with Celica's Echo to inflict -8 to all stats on a boss

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

blizzardvizard posted:

Does Corrin's Draconic Hex stack with itself? Wondering if you can use it with Celica's Echo to stack -8 to all stats on a boss

No, unfortunately. I toyed with giving hex to a few people for this purpose and it doesn't stack.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
oh man i'm dangerously close to running into my usual problem with fire emblem and endlessly replaying the early game, but this time it's because it's really fun to try and see the various things you can do (and because the early game is really good) rather than just because i'm brokebrained

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Kanos posted:

No, unfortunately. I toyed with giving hex to a few people for this purpose and it doesn't stack.

Too bad. I guess Hex on 2 enemies in 1 turn is pretty good in itself though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there a good way to get iron? Feel like I always have loads of steel and no iron.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

JBP posted:

Is there a good way to get iron? Feel like I always have loads of steel and no iron.

'exchange' at the forge

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ungulateman posted:

'exchange' at the forge

Ah thank you so much

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Someone didn't invest for more iron drops from maps. I think I ended up with 3k iron but ran out of silver/steel often.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly the whole investing thing feels weird, like I enjoy the skirmish/training maps as changes of pace where higher leveled guys are just rushing you, but at the same time idk if I’ll ever do them on another Hard run again because they sort of mess with the difficulty curve on multiple levels.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

For me skirmishes are mainly there to win with my b squads by the skin of my teeth as a fun challenge, and to maybe win some gold as well. If you don’t want to bother with that though then yeah investing is kind of a waste past getting all the pets (very important) and the very first resource bump in lv 2

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

FrickenMoron posted:

Someone didn't invest for more iron drops from maps. I think I ended up with 3k iron but ran out of silver/steel often.

I've got them all at level 2 or 3. The silver skirmishes don't seem to give much. I just got paid out by Solm maybe I'll upgrade again.

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly the whole investing thing feels weird, like I enjoy the skirmish/training maps as changes of pace where higher leveled guys are just rushing you, but at the same time idk if I’ll ever do them on another Hard run again because they sort of mess with the difficulty curve on multiple levels.

Yeah I stopped doing them because my main crew are just way too strong for the main missions. I just did the one to get the dancer. I was shocked by how strong the additional axe dudes were when I left swordmaster Lapis behind to deal with them, but she still killed two and held them off (on a +avo square) long enough for dancer dude to leave. It wouldn't have been an issue to just turn on them and kill them.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 1, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh yeah I gave Chloe lighter weapons rather than just going bigger damage number = better and she's an untouchable doubling monster. I stuck Lyn on her at the same time and her threat level went from low to extreme.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Lyn is a great emblem, so many units want her in some capacity. Speed is king!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...huh. Turns out you can absolutely game the Bond Ring system to get SRank rings for very cheap besides reloading and forging with a different emblem. Story chapters and paralogues are the only thing that alters the seed, so you can enter/leave one until your next 10 pull has a S rank ring in the same slot as the S ring you want, then reload and do single pulls on the Emblem that gives that ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Eimi posted:

Like I want to stress, here's every bit of wake up dialogue. It's over 4 hours long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRVc2vior_U

It's all voiced. Why did they voice this but cut back on the stuff you see like level up quotes or post battle dialogue?

crazy thing is that's not even all of the wake up dialogue. They all have variations if you press a button to wake up early, again fully voiced.

it's insane all the crap they put effort in vs what they cheaped out on