Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Magnetic North posted:

I have not heard of fido keys before now, but I had been thinking about some form of backup to get into accounts if there were an issue. Anyone have a trusted resource on these? Sure, I can look at Google and Youtube but I have no idea who actually knows anything.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/events/ignite-nov-2021/security-compliance-and-identity/breakouts/brk244/

If you want a quick explainer on how fido2 works.

If you purchase fido keys always purchase in couples. One with you and one in a safe place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blurb3947 posted:

I was going to say a simple explanation was that the thief was trailing them and saw the pin then swiped it later. It is crazy how lazy people are with their sec ops until they're actually affected.

Someone getting their phone stolen and SIM swapped (without a passcode) isn't really end-user laziness at this point. It's a flaw with the current defaults for something like "having a phone" and "having a Gmail account."

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Oh I'll agree for sure on that. I was more just mentioning how easy it can be to get device access through simple means. 2fa SMS is useless then but so could an authenticator app if it's not itself locked down through an additional mean.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
We're in the process of rewriting our storage engine (log management software) and are adding data silos. I've been tasked with the architecture for this, including rbac. What is everyone's requirements for this in a SIEM? Do you handle it by host access, or on a more granular level?

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
I saw this CVE mentioned on a tech news website, it said the following:

quote:

CVE-2023-24055

Description
** DISPUTED **

KeePass through 2.53 (in a default installation) allows an attacker, who has write access to the XML configuration file, to obtain the cleartext passwords by adding an export trigger. NOTE: the vendor's position is that the password database is not intended to be secure against an attacker who has that level of access to the local PC.

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2023-24055

I use KeepasXC myself, I'm not sure how that is affected and if this is something to worry about.

Is it indeed a case of, if they already have access to your pc it doesn't matter anymore?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's on the level of "if you type in your password on a compromised machine the attacker can sniff your keyboard to get the password to decrypt the vault".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zadda posted:

Is it indeed a case of, if they already have access to your pc it doesn't matter anymore?

Pretty much.

Imagine if Keepass adds a Y/N confirmation before auto-export like that guy wants. I get access to your PC and overwrite your keepass executable with a new version that disables that confirmation. Is that a new CVE? Why isn't Keepass guarding against that?

That's the level of dumbassery here.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Thanks for the answers :)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am really starting to become a fan of 1password being my virtual mfa as well in a lot of situations. Both for shared/service accounts and private/person ones. When you can't consolidate things under SSO, its a really neat tool for that.

I am getting a bit overloaded on the microsoft authenticator and google authenticator front.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lucid Nonsense posted:

We're in the process of rewriting our storage engine (log management software) and are adding data silos. I've been tasked with the architecture for this, including rbac. What is everyone's requirements for this in a SIEM? Do you handle it by host access, or on a more granular level?

Sentinel doesn't let you filter much for item access, if you have budget you could have multiple instances, one overseeing everything and one for each app silo.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Klyith posted:

Pretty much.

Imagine if Keepass adds a Y/N confirmation before auto-export like that guy wants. I get access to your PC and overwrite your keepass executable with a new version that disables that confirmation. Is that a new CVE? Why isn't Keepass guarding against that?

That's the level of dumbassery here.
A sibling/room mate/etc might be sble to get brief access to change a user level config file without admin rights to overwrite the exe. Of course, they could just install a key logger or update the shortcut to point to the exe in a different location and trust you wouldn't notice.

Honestly, to me silently exporting passwords to plaintext seems to be a bigger issue for incompetence than malice. It should always be accompanied by big warning so users with fat fingers don't accidentally make plaintext copies that hang around to be found to be later.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Sickening posted:

I am really starting to become a fan of 1password being my virtual mfa as well in a lot of situations. Both for shared/service accounts and private/person ones. When you can't consolidate things under SSO, its a really neat tool for that.

I am getting a bit overloaded on the microsoft authenticator and google authenticator front.

It's technically not a second factor at that point, because if a malicious actor has the password to your vault, they also have your second factor.

But it's just so drat convenient, I use it too. And the banking sites that do SMS 2fa piss me off every time because I just want 1pass to deal with it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, but how many MFA challenges on your phone are supplied by your phone?

There's certainly some significant cons, but the pros vastly outweigh them for me.

Password to vault isn't enough in 1Pass. Secret Key and you can add MFA to protect it. Still an issue of one thing getting owned and the bad peeps getting both your passwords and MFAs.

To lower risk there, I don't put my Google account in 1Pass and MFA is handled outside. So any service that sends an email to confirm a login from new device is still covered.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 27, 2023

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
My boss keeps forwarding me dreamhost phishing attempts, saying “can you take care of this?” The same boss had me do his cyber security training module for him.

He was born in 1992

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I don't use the Google or Microsoft MFA, consolidated all my MFA to Authy, it has some risks like someone doing a SIM clone and knowing the password for the backup could clone the MFA, but its so much easier than having them spread all over different apps and being able to recover them on a new phone without having to use backup codes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

It's technically not a second factor at that point, because if a malicious actor has the password to your vault, they also have your second factor.

But it's just so drat convenient, I use it too. And the banking sites that do SMS 2fa piss me off every time because I just want 1pass to deal with it

Its MFA under another layer of MFA.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

Its MFA under another layer of MFA.

MFA all the way down

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I love 1Password MFA for shared accounts but I would never use it for personal ones for those reasons. Yubikey all the way, and Yubikey Auth for whatever rear end in a top hat service doesn't take hardware authentication.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I love 1Password MFA for shared accounts but I would never use it for personal ones for those reasons. Yubikey all the way, and Yubikey Auth for whatever rear end in a top hat service doesn't take hardware authentication.

I feel like all are options are all are things I do. Personal accounts aren't are all created equal and debating the security of my 1password vault vs my phone is going to be a wash for anything that isn't super serious.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I wish a pair of Yubikeys wasn't so expensive.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I honestly can't understand why yubico isn't making newer yubikeys with more TOTP slots, i have give or take thirty of them so i'm forced to use multiple platforms(authy+yubi) to cover all of them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

I honestly can't understand why yubico isn't making newer yubikeys with more TOTP slots, i have give or take thirty of them so i'm forced to use multiple platforms(authy+yubi) to cover all of them.

Hmm I think I can understand why OP

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Any recommendation on a 2FA app? I've scanned this thread and seen Authy mentioned a few times but I also heard Aegis is nice since you can have an encrypted backup.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 28, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Any recommendation on a 2FA app? I've scanned this thread and seen Authy mentioned a few times but I also heard Aegis is nice since you can have an encrypted backup.

Lol so yeah you got it. Aegis.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
There is a new method for hijacking WhatApp accounts through VoiceMail. The hacker tries to login while you are sleeping. WA sends a PIN code over SMS. Hacker honestly tells WA they didn't receive the SMS and ask for a call. WA robotcalls, it goes to voicemail. Hacker checks your voicemail using the last 4 digits of your phone number as PIN code.

https://twitter.com/ihackbanme/status/1616192784960217088

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As per the thread title I'm finally getting off Lastpass and looking at alternatives, trying to sort the jargon from the marketing and figure out what's relevant. 1Password comes up a lot and the price on Bitwarden is great, are there pros/cons to either of those?

Using on Android and PC(currently Chrome) if that's relevant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IMO both Bitwarden and 1Password are fine choices.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agreed, the biggest differentiator is that you can optionally self host bitwarden .

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

As per the thread title I'm finally getting off Lastpass and looking at alternatives, trying to sort the jargon from the marketing and figure out what's relevant. 1Password comes up a lot and the price on Bitwarden is great, are there pros/cons to either of those?

Using on Android and PC(currently Chrome) if that's relevant.

My understanding is that if you're looking for more (paid) bells and whistles and more extensive support options 1Password is the way to go. For (free) individual use of a more stripped down 'just a password manager' Bitwarden is fine. I'm using Bitwarden and haven't had any issues so far and it has a browser extension for everything I use. It doesn't look like there's an official 1Password extension for Opera but the one from the Chrome store seems to work without issue.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If neither turns up an immediate red flag I'll go with the free one and see if there's any bells and whistles I miss. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't walking from one security issue into another. Thanks.

And then it's time to change everything. *sigh* no shortcut for that but to just do it. Ah well, I'd been meaning to clean everything up anyway, there's stuff from small accounts ten years ago that has no reason to still be in that library.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bruceski posted:

If neither turns up an immediate red flag I'll go with the free one and see if there's any bells and whistles I miss. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't walking from one security issue into another. Thanks.

And then it's time to change everything. *sigh* no shortcut for that but to just do it. Ah well, I'd been meaning to clean everything up anyway, there's stuff from small accounts ten years ago that has no reason to still be in that library.

I believe 1Password can import a plaintext Last Pass export.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

My dad was just trying to do this a few days ago and saw something weird. I didn't watch exactly what he was doing but he said when he tried to import the actual file that LP spit out it only showed about 30 entries in 1P, but if he viewed the file in a browser tab and copy/pasted it into 1P it seemed to pick up everything. I guess just keep an eye on the total number of LP entries you have and make sure it still matches after import.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

They both can import, I mean actually changing the passwords on the sites and not saving stuff that's out of date and taking up space. A lot of these are due, old weak passwords I never got around to strengthening, so this is a good excuse.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I switched to bitwarden and I'm happy with it so far in terms of functionality compared to lastpass, I'm additionally glad to finally be able to use it on mobile as well.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I've been using Psono for quite some while now.
It's open source, has Browser integrations, a mobile app and so far I've had no complaints.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

The Verge says that the statement leaves a great many questions unanswered, beginning with the key one:

Why anyone would be able to view an unencrypted stream in VLC Media Player on the other side of the country, from a supposedly always-local, always-end-to-end-encrypted camera.

The site sent Anker a lengthy list of additional questions:

Why do your supposedly end-to-end encrypted cameras produce unencrypted streams at all?

Under what circumstances is video actually encrypted?

Do any other parts of Eufy’s service rely on unencrypted streams, such as Eufy’s desktop web portal?

How long is an unencrypted stream accessible?

Are there any Eufy camera models that do not transmit unencrypted streams?

Will Eufy completely disable the transmission of unencrypted streams? When? How? If not, why not?

If not, will Eufy disclose to its customers that their streams are not actually always end to end encrypted? When and where?

Has Eufy changed the stream URLs to something more difficult to reverse engineer? If not, will Eufy do so? When?

Are unencrypted streams still accessible when cameras use HomeKit Secure Video?

Is it true that ”ZXSecurity17Cam@” is an actual encryption key? If not, why did that appear in your code labeled as an encryption key and appear in a GitHub repo from 2019?

Beyond the thumbnails and the unencrypted streams, are there any other private data or identifying elements that Eufy’s cameras allow access to via the cloud?

Beyond potentially tapping into an unencrypted stream, are there any other things that Eufy’s servers can remotely tell a camera to do?

What keeps Eufy and Anker employees from tapping into these streams?

Which other specific measures will Eufy take to address its security and reassure customers?

Has Anker retained any independent security firms to conduct an audit of its practices following these disclosures? Which?

Will Anker be offering refunds to those customers who bought cameras based on Eufy’s privacy commitment?

Why did Anker tell The Verge that it was not possible to view the unencrypted stream in an app like VLC?

Does eufy share video recordings with law enforcement agencies?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I feel like I keep asking questions around the same thing because my brain just can’t really wrap itself around how fido2 and webauthn work (and I naturally haven’t gotten around to watching the videos that explain it) but hopefully this will be the last (for now):

If I just want to auth to windows/macOS/iOS/Bitwarden/aws/azure/GitHub/etc then will the Yubi Security Key that just does fido2 suffice? I already use MS Authenticator for totp codes and I don’t expect I’ll have need for a virtual smart card like what you get on the 5C - and I already have a yubikey4 which does support that if the need arises later

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

beuges posted:

I feel like I keep asking questions around the same thing because my brain just can’t really wrap itself around how fido2 and webauthn work (and I naturally haven’t gotten around to watching the videos that explain it) but hopefully this will be the last (for now):

If I just want to auth to windows/macOS/iOS/Bitwarden/aws/azure/GitHub/etc then will the Yubi Security Key that just does fido2 suffice? I already use MS Authenticator for totp codes and I don’t expect I’ll have need for a virtual smart card like what you get on the 5C - and I already have a yubikey4 which does support that if the need arises later

FIDO2 logon for windows is available only for Azure AD joined or Hybrid AD joined machines, personal accounts are not natively supported. MacOS and iOS will call FIDO2 keys only on OOBE if you enable the new advanced security option but just for enroll, not day to day usage. You can tinker with PAM to use a fidokey to log on with linux.

Web site access for FIDO2 keys is native to every Chromium or WebKit based browser.

Yubikey 4 series only supports U2F/FIDO1, not FIDO2.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Microsoft hasn't gotten their FIDO2-implementation notified as "authentication level high" according to EU eIDAS regulation, so anyone in the EU who wants to use FIDO2 and needs level high will need to have another FIDO2-implementation anyway.
We use a level high notified implementation (with yubikey 5-series) for PAM and are in the process of rolling it out to some other user groups this spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Caconym posted:

Microsoft hasn't gotten their FIDO2-implementation notified as "authentication level high" according to EU eIDAS regulation, so anyone in the EU who wants to use FIDO2 and needs level high will need to have another FIDO2-implementation anyway.
We use a level high notified implementation (with yubikey 5-series) for PAM and are in the process of rolling it out to some other user groups this spring.

EIDAS relies on known trust anchors based on conventional certs, fido will never get accepted in any LoA scheme since it would cut current CA providers out. I'm expecting eID ficep nodes to become an auth high anchor well before whitelabel fido keys become the norm.
EU Login does support fido already, albeit hidden very deeply, so it's not like they don't know it exists.