Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

egon_beeblebrox posted:

just like every other time they've brought a dead actor back to life for a movie.

On the contrary

Afterlife is the only loving time I've felt like I was watching grave robbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

evobatman posted:

On the contrary

Afterlife is the only loving time I've felt like I was watching grave robbing.

No, no, Disney Star Wars using Carrie Fisher like they did in Rise of Skywalker was grave robbing. Afterlife was using a necromancer to pull the soul of Harold Ramis back to earth and then torture it into acting for them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It didn't bother me THAT much, I didn't cry, but I think it would've been better had they kept up that "invisible help from grandpa" angle all the way through.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked ghost Harold Ramis very much :colbert:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'm pissed and also annoyed that Hollywood did something I don't like!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Everyone posted:

No, no, Disney Star Wars using Carrie Fisher like they did in Rise of Skywalker was grave robbing. Afterlife was using a necromancer to pull the soul of Harold Ramis back to earth and then torture it into acting for them.

Carrie Fisher at least agreed to and was paid for the scenes she filmed that were used in RoS so I dunno if i'd even call that grave robbing. Peter Cushing in Rogue 1 and Harold Ramis in GB is beyond gross though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

Carrie Fisher at least agreed to and was paid for the scenes she filmed that were used in RoS so I dunno if i'd even call that grave robbing. Peter Cushing in Rogue 1 and Harold Ramis in GB is beyond gross though.

Blues Brothers 3D (with bonus new Blues Brothers John Candy and Robin Williams) is gonna be awesome

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I liked ghost Harold Ramis very much :colbert:

I don't even mean this as an insult because I find it charming but that goes without saying when it comes to you.

Ghostbusters 2 was the last shot at making a good Ghostbusters sequel. It's something that only really works with that group and in a specific time.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't even mean this as an insult because I find it charming but that goes without saying when it comes to you.

Ghostbusters 2 was the last shot at making a good Ghostbusters sequel. It's something that only really works with that group and in a specific time.

I agree, and I think any point after the mid-nineties was probably too late (and Evolution is probably what we would have got).

I respect 2016 for trying to do its own thing and having its own sensibility, even if it does have an Ozzy cameo in 2016. Like, there's a little nostalgia baiting in there, but I don't feel it's ever distracting. That films problems are its own, and would remain there if it was its own stand-alone film.

Afterlife is more insulting because, in its syrupy, gee-whiz, reverant way it manages to feel nothing like a Ghostbusters movie, despite playing with almost the entire (literal) toybox. It's like a cargo cult version of likeability, down to casting Paul Rudd.

Any arguments that its for kids, or that it appeals to kids, are absolutely bunk considering the first movie was beloved by kids despite being about dysfunctional, schlubby middle-aged academics with two-mortgages.

Afterlife isn't an awful sequel to The Real Ghostbusters, but it sucks as a sequel to Ghostbusters.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 31, 2023

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ray had three mortgages, big guy

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Ray had three mortgages, big guy

Now THATS scary!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:circlefap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2k2EwtaZqI
That version is out of print, but you can preorder an Afterlife version for $1,899.99.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?Company=457&Brand=1330

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
someone on twitter asked "what scared you as a kid" and all I could think of was this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

someone on twitter asked "what scared you as a kid" and all I could think of was this

Also in the episode... I think 'Knock Knock' it was called, Frank Welker voiced this really spooky tree which doesn't sound like anything now but to a six year old or whatever Dawgstar it was chilling.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Yeah, the tree guards the route to the depths of the underworld. It also takes part in this exchange

Winston: "but we're not dead!"
Tree: "nobody's perfect!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wait, do real ghostbusters ghosts show up in Afterlife?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The director's cut has an extended sequence where they have to track down the fearsome flush.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

Wait, do real ghostbusters ghosts show up in Afterlife?
The Bug-Eye Ghost from the Kenner Real Ghostbusters toy line showed up, but no ghosts from the animated series that I know of

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost, sorry about the Bug-Eye.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Filming on Firehouse (the Afterlife sequel) began today.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
…in the UK. Considering the story is returning to NY, that feels odd. I know they do wonders these days, but it still feels weird.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Afterlife got Hasbro to make the full scale neutrona wand and proton pack, so I can't hate it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Bug-Eye Ghost from the Kenner Real Ghostbusters toy line showed up, but no ghosts from the animated series that I know of

Dang, kinda called it, they should’ve went all in with the toy line.

ruddiger posted:

I hope they do modern remakes from the classic real ghostbusters toyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai0hmixQHzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_KN20vICnA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

…in the UK. Considering the story is returning to NY, that feels odd. I know they do wonders these days, but it still feels weird.

They'll likely get a lot of exterior shots in NY, but a large majority of the original (and likely GB2 as well) was filmed in LA, so :shrug:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Ernie Hudson went on Cumtown

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Parts of the 2016 movie were also filmed in Boston, as well as soundstages and backlots.

https://www.atlasofwonders.com/2016/06/ghostbusters-filming-locations.html

Of note, the interior of the Firehouse still exists in Los Angeles, but is no longer used by the Fire Deapartment. It is in an exceptionally rough part of town, Skid Row. Both GB 2016 and Afterlife built sets rather than film there.

https://ghostbustersnews.com/2022/06/30/a-rare-look-inside-engine-co-23-the-los-angeles-fire-station-used-in-ghostbusters/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

deoju posted:

Of note, the interior of the Firehouse still exists in Los Angeles, but is no longer used by the Fire Deapartment. It is in an exceptionally rough part of town, Skid Row. Both GB 2016 and Afterlife built sets rather than film there.

https://ghostbustersnews.com/2022/06/30/a-rare-look-inside-engine-co-23-the-los-angeles-fire-station-used-in-ghostbusters/

You didn't read your own link; it says that Afterlife shot there for a day.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kumail Nanjiani and Patton Oswalt set to co-star in upcoming Ghostbusters sequel.

Edit: And James Acaster, too! I love him!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Now get Greg Davies!

“Are you the Keymaster?”
“No, I’m the Taskmaster!”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Now get Greg Davies!

“Are you the Keymaster?”
“No, I’m the Taskmaster!”

Your task involves convincing a deity from another dimension that you are, in fact, a god.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Acaster getting cucked by ethereal Mr Bean, that's the movie right there.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Ghostbusters: Afterafterlife?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghostbusters: afterbirth

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ghostbusters after hours where they have sex with hot ghosts

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

banned from Starbucks posted:

ghostbusters after hours where they have sex with hot ghosts

So basically two hours or so of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzolJjO_1Bs&ab_channel=JackBatter

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gnome de plume posted:

Ghostbusters: Afterafterlife?

Ghostbusters 4: 2.0

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've been watching the first few episodes of The Bear on Hulu. It's a drama about working in a kitchen. It captures that pretty well imo. Except there's more sex and drugs. :ssh:

Anyway there's a Ghostbusters reference in episode 4. Apologies for the pictures of my TV. Hulu de-synchronizes subtitles after ads on my PC so I can't get screenshots that way.

and in the next shot...

The story takes place in Chicago, so I'd assume somebody involved has a connection to Second City or the Harold Raimis Film School.

Bonus: There's a Groundhog Day poster in the Restaurant.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/night-court-kurt-fuller-hilarious-nickname-bill-murray-almost-gave-him-in-ghostbusters-2-exclusive-interview/ posted:

Fuller had a chat with ComicBook.com's Chris Killian about his career, and they discussed his role as Jack Hardemeyer in Ghostbusters II.

"I gotta tell you, I got reminded of it almost every day, walking down the street," Fuller shared when Killian joked about every kid hating him in 1989. "I remember when I was doing Ghostbusters II, my character's name was Hardemeyer, okay? And Bill Murray in one scene we were improvising was gonna call me 'hard on,' okay? And he said, 'You know what, I'm not gonna do it because in Ghostbusters one, when I said to William Atherton that he had no d*ck, everybody called him 'd*ckless' for the next five years. And if I do this, people are gonna call you 'hard on' out of their cars and walking down the street till the day you die.' And so he saved me there and I didn't really get it at the time, but now having played a lot of these, you really do get a lot of, I mean, people are not shy. People, kids are not shy. They don't separate reality from fantasy very well."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

2006 early prototype of unreleased, unlicensed GB game released/leaked

Remember that video of someone in heavy gear running around NYC blasting ghosts? Before the actual GB game was announced? Well, you can play it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

2006 early prototype of unreleased, unlicensed GB game released/leaked

Remember that video of someone in heavy gear running around NYC blasting ghosts? Before the actual GB game was announced? Well, you can play it now.

Did you not make it to the bottom of the page?