Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Supremezero posted:

Ah, but Takamura explicitly was supposed to take it slow in the lower weight classes because it was further from his actual weight class.

So he'll speed up, which means the manga is, like, *uses rng* 3/4 over.

That's assuming we don't get more jobber title defences. Can't wait for his matches against Vinnie Pooh, Simon Pumbaa, and Jimmy Cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Namnesor posted:

Please look forward to Morikawa's new manga, Hajime no Takamura, where the coach petitions to have the rules of boxing rewritten so Takamura can fight two people at once.

It looks like I was a bit hasty in this prediction back in 2017; the petition is to allow Takamura to fight all of them

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ippo will win all of the titles at once by showing his hog on national TV

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the Perfect Dempsey Roll involves Ippo's hog slapping at the opponent's legs, knocking them off balance

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

the Perfect Dempsey Roll involves Ippo's hog slapping at the opponent's legs, knocking them off balance

Ain't no way those CROOKED REFS would allow dick trips

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you want to feel old click on the "posts by this user" for yourself itt.

Just realized the 1st post I had was agreeing with this one... from loving 2011.

Nilbop posted:

That's because Ippo's author doesn't realize he is literally going to die before he finishes it.

They'll find his body sprawled over a desk, an over-the-shoulder, mouth-wide-open shot of Ippo saying "Wow, I guess I have a long wa"

lmao some things never change

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I was really worked up about those over-the-shoulder, mouth-wide-open shots back then.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

That's assuming we don't get more jobber title defences. Can't wait for his matches against Vinnie Pooh, Simon Pumbaa, and Jimmy Cricket.

I lol'd at "Simon Pumbaa"

I think my favorite Ippo name is "Randy Boy Junior"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

Ah, but Takamura explicitly was supposed to take it slow in the lower weight classes because it was further from his actual weight class.

So he'll speed up, which means the manga is, like, *uses rng* 3/4 over.

That would still be what, 650 chapters? It's tough to recommend cutting out all the between-fight nonsense because those are some of my favorite character interactions and I think are a big part of why the manga has lasted as long as it has, versus just jumping from fight to fight for the various characters. But they could at least be edited down + dump all the in-between jobber fights we keep getting. Remember back when Ippo won the Rookie Championship and was ranked 10, then #4 immediately challenged him and got proper hosed so Ippo was 2 steps away from Date in like 3 chapters? That was cool.

Ytlaya posted:

After a series of fighters named after animals that all have some aspect of the animal for which they are named, 'Randy Boy' was an interesting choice...

That Works posted:

Feb '09 for me :corsair:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ytlaya posted:

i couldn't wrap my mind around the name randy boy junior for loving years, it still sounds absurd

even more outrageous is that his dad's name is, canonically, racoon boy

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

That Works posted:

Just realized the 1st post I had was agreeing with this one... from loving 2011.

lmao some things never change

Same, around Oct 2011 I posted here.

Jeez.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

i couldn't wrap my mind around the name randy boy junior for loving years, it still sounds absurd

even more outrageous is that his dad's name is, canonically, racoon boy

Racoon Boy was a stage name.

Only Takamura's opponents have generally been the animal named dudes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Just have Takamura drop a stupid amount of weight to challenge and defeat Ricardo after Sendo dies in ring against him.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah he's got Hawk, Eagle and Bison, while Takamura himself is a hawk with bear claw marks on his chest. Aoki is a frog, Kimura is a fish, Sendo is a tiger, Volg is a wolf, Warlee is a monkey. Actually kind of weird Ippo doesn't seem to have a spirit animal unless you count elephant :wink:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Am I alone in hoping Wally gets fatally injured?
Like the stuff he's doing doesn't look like boxing at all, and its frustrating how the manga treats it as legit things that would be allowed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Not fatally but that bloody eye of his looks like he's going to be permanently retired after this match

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Ippo doesn't seem to have a spirit animal unless you count elephant :wink:

Isn't it a dog? He has his dog's pawprint on his trunks, named it Wanpo, there's a whole "not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog" thing going

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What animal has the thickest skull

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1409

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RIP warlee

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I would enjoy this finale if not for the utter nonsense that came before it.

It's hard to feel bad about a fighter (presumably) losing when he's been cheating, even if the manga has been trying to say he wasn't.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
This fight endep up okay, but the start with Wally's nonsense really hinders it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

yeah but its funnier to pretend that it wasn't

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

idk about you guys but i've loving loved this fight since after the first few chapters lol. i am actually cheering for woli's desperate struggle rn. the art, paneling, kinetic energy in the pictures, thematic importance, etc. have all been top notch too.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

idk about you guys but i've loving loved this fight since after the first few chapters lol. i am actually cheering for woli's desperate struggle rn. the art, paneling, kinetic energy in the pictures, thematic importance, etc. have all been top notch too.

Me as well, this is a fantastic match

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Woli’s got this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The full page spread will just be Wally's death certificate

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Wally just the jobber to hype up Sendo's match in the end.
Is he gonna do a demsey roll smash?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he's gonna get him with the lookaway

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aw, Warlee's gonna start fighting like Sendo so he can see all the ways Martinez would have countered him so he'll have a chance to come up with counter-counter strategies :3:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

It was much better when he stopped doing illegal poo poo and actually boxed yes. If that had been the whole fight it would have been great

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The full page spread is going to be Ricardo being knocked down for the first time ever

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
The full page spread is going to be Ricardo just no selling the smash, and Sendo being like "... gently caress I gotta use something else?"

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Has Sendo ever fought with a coherent strategy other than "gently caress this guy, I'm going to punch even harder then"?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Cum Free posted:

Has Sendo ever fought with a coherent strategy other than "gently caress this guy, I'm going to punch even harder then"?

nope, Sendo's gonna see the smash fail and instead of thinking of something else, he just train up an upgraded smash.

I'm disappointed that Ippo is so silent this match at ringside, I guess he isn't the real coach of Wally, but he's given really good advice before.
I hope during the Sendo match, Sendo requests Ippo's assistance as well, and he struggles, but Ippo starts giving him some words and it actually really makes him put up a crazy close fight against Ricardo, but still lose obviously.

Then maybe ippo can come back in 5 more years of stalling...

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

rip wally, 0.5 good matches and 1.5 terrible ones

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

https://hni-scantrad.com/lel/read/hajime-no-ippo/en-us/137/1410/page/1

morikawa painstakingly ensures that we do not see woli's face a single time the entire chapter. i think his eye is going to actually be caved in

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Wally alive status: :shrug:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lmfao why did ippo pick him up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Larry Cum Free posted:

Wally alive status: :shrug:

yeah i really think he is going to be crippled after this fight. he's not fighting again