Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I sucked it up and bought the Apple reader, I feel like I have already saved myself $40 in frustration.

They should add a microsd slot to the iPad Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I need a compact (well, more compact than my D750) camera to keep in my work bag to document poo poo out in the field (technical/telecom rooms etc), and I'm seriously eyeing a used Sony a6000 with the 16-50 kit lens, as they sell for $300-400 used. Other options are Eos M (dead system), some sort of compact (powershot or similar) or Nikon 1. Nikon Z DX is too expensive considering the camera might end up in the mud if I'm unlucky. Are there any other options out there that I'm missing?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

get a powershot G whatever. good optics, good features, cheap, has zoom, has flash, is super compact.
you cant the g16 for around ~$200.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
X-T20?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Brrrmph posted:

Does anyone in this forum shoot a digital Leica?

I have shot on one but I don’t own one… yet. Some day.

I have film Leica gear that I inherited+rounded out. One of the lenses is even digital compatible (has the magic so that the camera recognizes what lens).

My 2c on smartphone vs dedicated cam chat: I like a dedicated cam because it keeps me from falling down a smartphone hole and get distracted.

I shoot fuji and a big part of that is the film sim recipes. I’ve got mine setup to render nice jpegs out of the camera for my most common shooting scenarios like low light indoors with my kids.

I almost never edit anything in LR these days because I don’t have the time. For me, the film sim recipes saved a lot of time. I do still occasionally edit when I decide to print something.

rufius fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 28, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Does anyone in this forum shoot a digital Leica?

Not at the moment but I've at times owned an M8, M9 and M240. Lovely cameras all of them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's a neat camera, but very hard to find here.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

rufius posted:

I shoot fuji and a big part of that is the film sim recipes. I’ve got mine setup to render nice jpegs out of the camera for my most common shooting scenarios like low light indoors with my kids.

Can I ask your preferred recipes/settings for jpgs in this situation? We live in Minnesota so I spend way too much of the winter hunkered inside and my kids become the main photo subjects by default. I love Fuji recipes but I find some of them give really unpleasant skin tones with indoor lighting.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

rufius posted:

My 2c on smartphone vs dedicated cam chat: I like a dedicated cam because it keeps me from falling down a smartphone hole and get distracted.

This is a bit off topic, but I shoot wet plate collodion and I bought a cheap sand timer (3 minutes for the silver bath sensitisation stage) and mechanical stopwatch (for exposures and developing) rather than using my phone for exactly the same reason. It really takes me out of the process to see notifications and other stuff pop up and I often found myself forgetting what I was doing or thinking about.

I'm not a re-enactor and these don't make me a better photographer, but I feel like my phone makes me a worse one.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah, I've got a pretty good camera on my smartphone but using it brings me zero joy so except for pictures of my dog doing cute things it doesn't get much use.

Why this is I'm not sure, possibly it being so automated and a black slab with a screen just disconnects me from the subject matter to much? I also much prefer the viewfinder to the back LCD for similar reasons.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

Can I ask your preferred recipes/settings for jpgs in this situation? We live in Minnesota so I spend way too much of the winter hunkered inside and my kids become the main photo subjects by default. I love Fuji recipes but I find some of them give really unpleasant skin tones with indoor lighting.

I primarily shoot indoors on an X-T4 so that’ll be a limiter depending on your camera. These all come from Fuji X Weekly. On my phone so not directly linking.

My preferred indoor recipes are:

- Timeless Negative
- Eterna v2
- Reggie’s Portra - I use this one a lot if I’m getting any natural light in addition to lamps.

My preferred overcast outdoor recipes are:

- Fujicolor Reala 100
- Fujicolor Superia 800 - this one can wash skin out a bit but it’s good for most other subjects
- Reggie’s Portra - if I’m mostly shooting people, I’ll use this one

Reala 100 is new for me but I’ve shot it a lot in the last couple days. It gives the same feel as Superia 800, but it works better with skin tones.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

I'm looking to get into adventure filmmaking as a hobby, especially mountain bike videography with both humans and dogs (the dogs run behind the bikes as they are too lazy to learn to pedal).

I've got a GoPro 11 for on-bike video (and dog follow-cam) and would like to expand to a "real" cinema camera for non-POV shots. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Panasonic GH5M2 or the upcoming S5M2. The Panasonic IBIS seems much better than the competition (even at much higher price points) and I appreciate all of the video-focused features on these cameras.

I'm leaning towards the GH5M2 for a few reasons. First, because the market for used lenses looks a lot better; I'd aim initially to pick up the 12-35 f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8 lenses which I think would cover most of my needs for shooting in the fairly low light of PNW forests. Support for 4k/p60 video at the same crop factor also seems like a big plus, as I expect to frequently be shooting at 60 fps for slo-mo shots of jumps, berms, etc.

If I were to get the S5M2 I'd likely start out with a single lens, probably the 24-105 f/4 lens. The main draw for this camera is the better low-light performance from the larger sensor.

I'd love to get a general goon opinion on the GH5M2 plan above. Am I going to wish I had gone with a larger sensor than the micro 4/3 a year down the line? I don't want to lock myself into a dead-end sensor system and end up with a bunch of lenses that take forever to sell when I upgrade. Anything else I should be considering in terms of the "ecosystem" for these two cameras? Any other cameras I should be thinking about?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you need/want autofocus to be good for video? If so, that's a mark for the S5 as it's got phase detect AF where the GH5 does not.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

powderific posted:

Do you need/want autofocus to be good for video? If so, that's a mark for the S5 as it's got phase detect AF where the GH5 does not.

It's a good point -- for most MTB action shots I suspect any AF system at this price point will be mostly useless. I've watched several S5II videos and while the AF is nice I don't think it's going to do a great job of following a rider at 25mph. Please correct me if I'm wrong here! Up to this point I've never owned a "real" camera so all my experience is with phones and GoPro.

There's what appears to be a crazy deal on the GH6 on Amazon at the moment -- $2K for the body and a pretty nice kit lens (the 12-60mm f/2.8-4). The 4k 120 video on that camera is a huge selling point for me so I'm leaning pretty hard towards that now.

e: Same deal is also on B&H so it's definitely not just an Amazon listing fluke (or counterfeit).

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 30, 2023

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Driving through a town this week where a guy is selling a Fuji 70-300 for $550. He pointed out it has a tiny bit of dust on the lens.

I have a body with me, but I'll be on the clock and would have to do a really quick test before buying/passing and getting back on the road. Figure shoot up at the sky at both extremes of focal length and aperture, see how bad it is? Any other/better advice? I have a fat dust spot on my 16-80 and it drives me nuts, but for baby's first bird lens I think this price is good and I should just buy it.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

rufius posted:

I primarily shoot indoors on an X-T4 so that’ll be a limiter depending on your camera. These all come from Fuji X Weekly. On my phone so not directly linking.

My preferred indoor recipes are:

- Timeless Negative
- Eterna v2
- Reggie’s Portra - I use this one a lot if I’m getting any natural light in addition to lamps.

My preferred overcast outdoor recipes are:

- Fujicolor Reala 100
- Fujicolor Superia 800 - this one can wash skin out a bit but it’s good for most other subjects
- Reggie’s Portra - if I’m mostly shooting people, I’ll use this one

Reala 100 is new for me but I’ve shot it a lot in the last couple days. It gives the same feel as Superia 800, but it works better with skin tones.

Thanks for sharing! I have an X-T30 so I’ll check these out.

I shot a bunch indoors using Acros today. It’s such a good coverup for high ISO situations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

pumped up for school posted:

Driving through a town this week where a guy is selling a Fuji 70-300 for $550. He pointed out it has a tiny bit of dust on the lens.

I have a body with me, but I'll be on the clock and would have to do a really quick test before buying/passing and getting back on the road. Figure shoot up at the sky at both extremes of focal length and aperture, see how bad it is? Any other/better advice? I have a fat dust spot on my 16-80 and it drives me nuts, but for baby's first bird lens I think this price is good and I should just buy it.

Take photos at the minimum focus distance and infinity. Sometimes each one can expose dust in different parts of the lens.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

Thanks for sharing! I have an X-T30 so I’ll check these out.

I shot a bunch indoors using Acros today. It’s such a good coverup for high ISO situations.

Ah that reminded me. I do shoot BW occasionally. The ones I’ve most liked indoors are Classic Monochrome and Monochrome Negative.

I’ve also got a recipe I’ve tweaked over time that I use. It’s basically Acros+R, +2 H, +2 S, -4 NR, 0 Clarity, +1 Sharpening, Auto WB.

I often use that as my multi environment “proofing image” where I know I’ll want to fiddle with RAW files and just need a profile to view on the back of the camera that I trust the results of.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Setec_Astronomy posted:

It's a good point -- for most MTB action shots I suspect any AF system at this price point will be mostly useless. I've watched several S5II videos and while the AF is nice I don't think it's going to do a great job of following a rider at 25mph. Please correct me if I'm wrong here! Up to this point I've never owned a "real" camera so all my experience is with phones and GoPro.

There's what appears to be a crazy deal on the GH6 on Amazon at the moment -- $2K for the body and a pretty nice kit lens (the 12-60mm f/2.8-4). The 4k 120 video on that camera is a huge selling point for me so I'm leaning pretty hard towards that now.

e: Same deal is also on B&H so it's definitely not just an Amazon listing fluke (or counterfeit).

I don't really use AF for video so I don't know, but it's a thing many people like so figured I'd mention. If you wanna try it out, you could rent one for round $100 to get a feel for whether it's gonna do what you want. Might be worth it if you've only done phones and gopros.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Briefly returning to digital Leica chat… sorta. Has anyone played with a Pixii?

I have a hard time stomaching the cost of even the first gen M10 for a camera that’s 6-7 years old. They’re running around $3500-4000 from the last few months I’ve been passively looking. Too much for a used body for me.

Pixii, despite being ~3k caught my eye because they’ve designed it to be upgradable. Early adopters have gotten their devices upgraded as they’ve released new sensors/hardware.

I decided to put in a preorder. Might cancel it later but I’ve got some very nice Leica glass I inherited that I want to use on a digital body.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rufius posted:

Briefly returning to digital Leica chat… sorta. Has anyone played with a Pixii?
I love the Pixii as an idea, especially the 12 bit black and white RAW files but I can't imagine it being my only or main camera. No EVF or screen, minimal manual controls, risk of small company for long term ownership, etc. In this day and age 3 grand doesn't seem that bad for a camera, the made in Japan X-Pro 3 is [was? I think it got discontinued] 2 grand minimum. Basically I want someone else to buy one and tell me about it since I'll probably never see one in the wild so I say go for it.

e: wow, the storage pricing is a bit of a piss take, 500 euro markup for 128 gigs

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 30, 2023

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

qirex posted:

I love the Pixii as an idea, especially the 12 bit black and white RAW files but I can't imagine it being my only or main camera. No EVF or screen, minimal manual controls, risk of small company for long term ownership, etc. In this day and age 3 grand doesn't seem that bad for a camera, the made in Japan X-Pro 3 is [was? I think it got discontinued] 2 grand minimum. Basically I want someone else to buy one and tell me about it since I'll probably never see one in the wild so I say go for it.

Ya that’s basically where I’m at. I’m okay with the lack of EVF or screen if only because the software integration with phone seems slick. If it’s sucks I’ll return it but I’m happy to experiment.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
APS-C sensor with M mount and electronic shutter ruins the Pixii for me. The monochrome mode uses software to trade color channels for increased resolution. It seems pointless unless you enjoy the psychological aspect of being locked into B&W. From what I'm reading you don't get the same advantages as a Leica Monochrom sensor which has about a 3 stop ISO advantage, no color noise, and insane amounts of details saved in shadows.

The concept is cool though. If they had a full frame version with some kind of fast sensor readout, like 1/250 shutter speed, it would be a pretty amazing camera.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thoren posted:

APS-C sensor with M mount and electronic shutter ruins the Pixii for me. The monochrome mode uses software to trade color channels for increased resolution. It seems pointless unless you enjoy the psychological aspect of being locked into B&W. From what I'm reading you don't get the same advantages as a Leica Monochrom sensor which has about a 3 stop ISO advantage, no color noise, and insane amounts of details saved in shadows.

The concept is cool though. If they had a full frame version with some kind of fast sensor readout, like 1/250 shutter speed, it would be a pretty amazing camera.

Re: APS-C - I hear that though I don’t personally have much grump with it since I shot a fair amount with my Leica lenses on a Fuji XPro-3.

Aside from avoiding a couple lenses (I forget which now), I was perfectly happy with the image quality.

I have less strong opinions about Leica vs pixii monochrome talk. I certainly grok what Leica is doing. Some of the images I’ve seen from the pixii using it’s monochrome setting are impressive but I’m not sure I’ve made up my mind.

Honestly - the big thing I’m interested in is the color profiles. For me at least, the color profiles are very appealing. Oh and the fact that brand new it’s still cheaper than an M10 original.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I just traded in all my old Canon DSLR gear and a Fuji X100 for a Leica Q.

Previously owned an M3 back in the day when I shot film and loved it, so I'm hoping the Q inspires me because I haven't been shooting much at all lately.

Also been eyeing the Q2 Monochrome, it sounds perfect to me but oh my god the price tag

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I just traded in all my old Canon DSLR gear and a Fuji X100 for a Leica Q.

Previously owned an M3 back in the day when I shot film and loved it, so I'm hoping the Q inspires me because I haven't been shooting much at all lately.

Also been eyeing the Q2 Monochrome, it sounds perfect to me but oh my god the price tag

OOC - any reason you went Q vs M? My guess: autofocus?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

so I'm hoping the Q inspires me because I haven't been shooting much at all lately.

How do you like it so far?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rufius posted:

OOC - any reason you went Q vs M? My guess: autofocus?

Cuz it was way cheaper mostly lol. That and a fixed lens makes it simpler, kinda like the X100 I had but better optics. I wanted something simple that produced quality images. Not having to worry about what lens, film model, etc, and just focusing on the subject.

Thoren posted:

How do you like it so far?

I don't have it yet, I literally just sent my gear in to KEH. They are holding the Q for me, once they check everything out and make the final appraisal and I approve it they will send me the Q. Should be a few days or so I'm guessing, but I'll post my first impressions here if anyone's interested.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I would like to “like and subscribe” to Leica Q chat. I’ve been curious about them for a while.

I have friends that have them but they’re already Leica people so their opinions are suspect.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was originally going to get an X100V, but after watching all the reviews about the Q that were gushing about the build and image quality, and how it's such a good simple camera I had to spend the extra coin for one. The X100V is just a bit too complex for me with all the different settings (like really, way too many to choose from) and whatnot, so the Leica seemed perfect for what I wanted to do, keep it simple.

Plus I've owned one before, it's been awhile but it was easily the best camera I had ever owned digital or film, so it will be nice to have that kind of quality again.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

I just looked that up (haven't followed camera news too closely for a while, and never really followed Leica stuff), that's a really cool camera!

I stupidly bought an X100F a couple years ago even though I knew I hated the 35mm focal length. It is every bit as fantastic a camera as people say, but my brain just does not do 35mm and this camera has not changed that the way I had hoped it would. If it were a 28 or a 40-55mm (and had an articulating LCD) I think it'd be my favourite digital camera ever.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Not an ideal solution, but the (stupidly expensive) WCL attachment pulls the X100 family back to 28mm equivalent. I find the same limitations in what I shoot and honestly use the WCL a lot.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I replaced my X100F with a Ricoh GR III. Zero regrets. The thing is a beast, especially with snap focus.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I replaced my X100F with a Ricoh GR III. Zero regrets. The thing is a beast, especially with snap focus.

Heard a lot about that one too, would like to try one of those out.

The Fuji was nice, but I found myself just going back to my Canon DSLR cuz it was so much easier to use. I was always fumbling with the Fuji it seemed.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Fuji X100 series cameras are fun, but cumbersome when trying to change anything quickly. I’m absolutely blown away by the few people I’ve seen who competently shoot weddings with them. I haven’t tried the X100V, so maybe it’s better, but I’ve shot a lot with the F and it’s just not built for urgent moments.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Heard a lot about that one too, would like to try one of those out.

The Fuji was nice, but I found myself just going back to my Canon DSLR cuz it was so much easier to use. I was always fumbling with the Fuji it seemed.

It's super easy to get crispy, in focus, quality shots on the GR III. The menus are just more intuitive and easy to get to. It's also actually pocketable, unlike the X100x (although those aren't large by any means). I like the film simulations more with Fuji but they're easy enough to replicate with custom modes.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 1, 2023

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I tried handling an R6 MKII and the ergonomics are definitely better than the A7IV I have, at least for the grip. I tried it using the EF adapter and a 24-105L they had sitting around, and weight of the lens aside compared to the RF version I was really impressed with how quiet and responsive the AF seemed.

If it was easy to move my gear at a minimal loss I'd be really tempted to move over. Currently I only have primes and a lot of the cheaper E-mount zooms just seem to have too many compromises if you're putting them on a higher end body, most notably weight. The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 G2 for sure seems like one of the best non-GM II options due to how light it is, although I really hate that it doesn't have an aperture ring and the USB-C port on the side is kind of weird. Image quality was fine on the pictures I took considering the store probably wasn't lit all that well. Minor nitpicks, perhaps.

I also tried the Tamron 35-150 f/2-2.8, and holy poo poo it's heavy. I almost don't understand the point of it other than the novelty because it's absolutely not a travel lens in any way, at least to me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Brrrmph posted:

Fuji X100 series cameras are fun, but cumbersome when trying to change anything quickly. I’m absolutely blown away by the few people I’ve seen who competently shoot weddings with them. I haven’t tried the X100V, so maybe it’s better, but I’ve shot a lot with the F and it’s just not built for urgent moments.

The only thing that takes me any time is changing ISO [which I have auto ranges for], between the Q menu, custom dials and the physical controls I have it pretty down. That said using my camera at sub-maximum efficiency does not have any impact on making my living, plus I use a flash very rarely which would complicate things a lot and I expect that's 99% of the time for a wedding photographer.

I also have a GR III and I like it but I don't love it, particularly no EVF. It mostly makes me wish my X100 was a touch smaller, 28mm and had IBIS.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I just sold my X100F on eBay last week. It was a great feeling camera and I loved the hybrid viewfinder but I just never grabbed it when I was heading out.
I think my biggest hangups were the lens not being a focal length I enjoy shooting with and somehow getting the idea stuck in my head that all the little shutters inside the viewfinder made it fragile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dog Case posted:

I just sold my X100F on eBay last week. It was a great feeling camera and I loved the hybrid viewfinder but I just never grabbed it when I was heading out.
I think my biggest hangups were the lens not being a focal length I enjoy shooting with and somehow getting the idea stuck in my head that all the little shutters inside the viewfinder made it fragile

Funny, that's how I felt about my X100 overall, that it was kind of fragile so I never really took it anywhere with me much and would just grab the DSLR. The M3 I had was a tank, so I'm hoping the Q will feel the same way.