Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I still remember that random interaction of Baofu getting a drink and Tatsuya essentially being like “you’re just the kind of adult who drinks his problems away lol” and Baofu immediately calls over Katsuya to check his lil bro’s smart rear end

The P2 games had a lot of humor nuggets hidden in some of the random dialogue that happens in each location, and they didn’t have to rely on hot springs or teacher dating hijinks or stuff like that

5 Strikers is a very funny game though in its own right, especially compared to 3, 4, and 5

MechaX fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't remember a single joke in P1 except the school passcode

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Persona begins at 3 2: Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment, basically.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Gaius Marius posted:

The jokes are in things like the boss battle with the mouse murder robot, Ayase's epic burn during Toro's confession, and within the character interactions throughout, really. Nanjo getting his brain taken over by the satomi tadashi theme song is a fun running gag. Demon interactions are often have jokes in them, Yog-Sototh Jr., the Black Market is pretty satirical.

MechaX posted:

The P2 games had a lot of humor nuggets hidden in some of the random dialogue that happens in each location, and they didn’t have to rely on hot springs or teacher dating hijinks or stuff like that

I think this is the magic key here not just for the opportunities for humor and lightheartedness amidst the spiraling events, and also how it gave players optional character moments for those who wanted to seek them out and get to know the characters more than what the main plot was putting forward.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2023

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I only watched a playthrough of the PSP version, but Mark is usually the butt of jokes the same way Junpei/Yosuke/Ryuji are, sometimes making some sort of comedic duo with Nanjo.

He gets called "monkey" a lot, which I'm guessing was changed for the PS1 version where Mark is changed into a black kid.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
They just put some persona games on gamepass (3-4-5) and i just started playing p5r for the first time.

Im like 3 hours in and its starting to look like it might possibly make sense in a another 3 hours of playtime.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It just starts in media res.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Eriko awakening to her persona and deciding immediately that she's the main character of a story now was pretty funny.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's also funny that they changed the author of Wicked City to Stephen King for no reason.

Like what a weird localization choice.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh, I just got to the sports exchange in P3P and I haven't played P4 but this is clearly a bunch of P4 references based on all the spoiler chat I've been skipping in the thread. I can't say I expected a call-forward; was this a P3P addition or did they already have this much of P4 ironed out in the original game? I remember seeing speculation that Jose is likely a Persona 6 character.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

All of that is absolutely a call-forward to P4, that stuff only exists in the FeMC route and that was all well after P4 was released. The male route does add in a P4 cameo to the beach trip though, but its very not tasteful.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh yeah, speaking of what WAS the deal with Jose?

P5R stuff: throughout the whole third semester stuff with Maruki I kept expecting it to come up. But I literally don't remember the game even mentioning it. Did I miss something? Would I have found out more about it if I'd hung out with the wardens more? It was really weird, just like Sumire's phone for a game that generally spells things almost too clearly (and beats you over the head with some of it) they just never seemed to mention what Jose's deal was

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Y'all weren't kidding this robot fight is some serious bullshit. Ran through it once on normal thinking it couldn't be that bad. Looks like I'll crank up the difficulty to get through it. What a stinker of a boss battle.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh yeah, speaking of what WAS the deal with Jose?

Persona lore fans have picked up on the hints Jose has dropped about the person instructing him to learn about humanity possibly being Philemon, the god behind Igor and the Velvet Room plus its attendants.

The most common deduction made by fans is that Jose is gonna take over for Igor beginning with Persona 6. This makes sense given that Igor's Japanese VA passed away years before 5 was completed and Japan has shown a tendency not to recast VAs but rather retire characters. For 5, they worked around it by using the fake Igor storyline, lots of reused voice lines and having Lavenza do the exposition, but that's a trick that only really works once.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think I used (palace 5) Morgana Makoto Ryuji for that fight. Use your appropriately typed magatamas if you have them they make it super easy to get a 4x baton pass.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

Y'all weren't kidding this robot fight is some serious bullshit. Ran through it once on normal thinking it couldn't be that bad. Looks like I'll crank up the difficulty to get through it. What a stinker of a boss battle.

If you're still stuck, you can try this tip later.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

anakha posted:

If you're still stuck, you can try this tip later.

Thanks. I have single target items, group psy on Joker and Haru both. I just zoned out first time through and hosed up the order of operations. They have way too much health. Strange to put what's essentially a baton pass tutorial in the middle of the game lol

Prowler
May 24, 2004

You can't convince me that the two battle themes in Persona 4 Golden weren't originally the OP to some anime. Especially the player advantage theme: the intrumental portion after the vocal introduction is where the anime title would appear, then when the vocals restart, you are treated to random scenes of characters dancing, fighting, or slowly getting into some pose.

Because of the skill requirement, I don't think I'm going to be able to max out the Justice arcana. Uh oh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Prowler posted:

You can't convince me that the two battle themes in Persona 4 Golden weren't originally the OP to some anime. Especially the player advantage theme: the intrumental portion after the vocal introduction is where the anime title would appear, then when the vocals restart, you are treated to random scenes of characters dancing, fighting, or slowly getting into some pose.

Because of the skill requirement, I don't think I'm going to be able to max out the Justice arcana. Uh oh.

You legally have to restart the game if you don't. It's the law

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

anakha posted:

Persona lore fans have picked up on the hints Jose has dropped about the person instructing him to learn about humanity possibly being Philemon, the god behind Igor and the Velvet Room plus its attendants.

The most common deduction made by fans is that Jose is gonna take over for Igor beginning with Persona 6. This makes sense given that Igor's Japanese VA passed away years before 5 was completed and Japan has shown a tendency not to recast VAs but rather retire characters. For 5, they worked around it by using the fake Igor storyline, lots of reused voice lines and having Lavenza do the exposition, but that's a trick that only really works once.

It is pretty funny how in Strikers Lavenza has to be all "oh no trickster the malevolent opposition to mankind's will has awakened once again... but it's not as big of a deal as last time so it's just me helping you."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Thanks. I have single target items, group psy on Joker and Haru both. I just zoned out first time through and hosed up the order of operations. They have way too much health. Strange to put what's essentially a baton pass tutorial in the middle of the game lol

I cleared this with 12 seconds on the clock after thinking "pfft, 30 minutes? Easy." I was too cocky.

I'm debating whether or not to jump right into P5R NG+ or not. It was my first Persona game, it held my attention the whole way through, but I don't know if I'm ready for another 100 hours.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Take a break. You'll ride the high of your playthrough until maybe 1/3 into the first palace then the fatigue will set in.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I can agree with this, although the fact Yukiko got criticized most for it never made sense to me. Ever since I joined the fandom I saw her S Link get the most criticism for this.

But to me, it was so incredibly realistic. Here we have an older teenager on the cusp of young adulthood. She feels trapped by a life she never chose, bound in by people who want her to be something she isn't. If she could only get away she could find herself. Only....running away from the people who love and care about you isn't going to help you find yourself. Your family, your roots, that is an important part of who you are. Maybe you didn't choose it but that also doesn't mean it's forced on you.

You can be perfectly happy in the life you were born into, particularly if you're blessed like she was with a huge group of people who care about you. Her S Link is about realizing that instead of pursuing a childish rebellion. I liked it a lot.

Yeah Yukiko is the one where it makes sense because goddamn that girl just wont shut up about her loving inn. its pretty clear she loves the place dearly and doesn't actually want to leave it

The other ones... yeah not so much. Poor, poor Rise

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I cleared this with 12 seconds on the clock after thinking "pfft, 30 minutes? Easy." I was too cocky.

I'm debating whether or not to jump right into P5R NG+ or not. It was my first Persona game, it held my attention the whole way through, but I don't know if I'm ready for another 100 hours.

I'd say save it and revisit later when you're feeling the itch. The games are super long and a slow burn, so if you jump right back in you'll probably just lose steam a couple hours in

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Eriko awakening to her persona and deciding immediately that she's the main character of a story now was pretty funny.

Elly was great, no idea how people try and defend using brown instead of her

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I find some of the dumbest crossover poo poo on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdb42CQSMA

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Minor note as I plug through P4, Nanako's voice actor really deserves credit for her performance in the omelet competition scene. That subtle pain in her voice that doesn't come across in the text itself when she praises Chie's omelet is perfect.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So just so I have an idea at how long a grind I am looking at here, around what level should I be in early July?

Because I need to do Tower 2 after I get out of Tartarus and I need to be 31 to even fuse the lowest persona from that arcana.

So I know I need to be at least 31, but what’s reasonable? I have only just fought the 3rd boss in Tartarus. And rescued the person on 47.

Is there some sort of Floor => Level conversion I can use as a rule of thumb?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does Elizabeth have quests to fuse certain personas? I think I just used those as guidelines.

Level doesn't matter much honestly. If you can achieve her requests and make it to the wall at the end of each Tartarus segment, you're fine.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If the shadows are destroying you, you are underleveled which will be quickly rectified if you manage to kill any because of the experience scaling. If they are running away from you and/or killing them awards garbage xp, you are overleveled. I forget how different things are between FES and P3P, but here in FES was level 36 at the full moon in early September. Everyone who has joined me has like 3 to 5 levels on my highest leveled person.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
P3P has modular difficulty settings; you can up the experience gained without changing the combat difficulty. Just pop that sucker to "more" if you're getting tired of the tower, and if you're real sick of it there's also a "retry on game over" button that will full heal your party and continue the battle from where it left off if the main character gets knocked out. Both of these can also be turned back off at any time if you've found your feet again.

If you're making consistent progress you're doing fine, and if you're getting stonewalled and don't want to grind, just press the "gently caress this particular tower boss" button.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

P3P has modular difficulty settings; you can up the experience gained without changing the combat difficulty. Just pop that sucker to "more" if you're getting tired of the tower, and if you're real sick of it there's also a "retry on game over" button that will full heal your party and continue the battle from where it left off if the main character gets knocked out. Both of these can also be turned back off at any time if you've found your feet again.

If you're making consistent progress you're doing fine, and if you're getting stonewalled and don't want to grind, just press the "gently caress this particular tower boss" button.

I don't recall this being in original P3P. Was it? If not, this is at least one good addition to the port. (Otherwise I've heard it's fairly unremarkable)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't recall this being in original P3P. Was it? If not, this is at least one good addition to the port. (Otherwise I've heard it's fairly unremarkable)
Yeah, the PC port added the dynamic difficulty that was in P4G's NG+ (and made available from the beginning in the P4G PC port) and also got quick saves AFAIK. P4G got a Social Link scene viewer with the Switch port as well, I'm not certain it was added to the PC port as well, but considering the quick save was I think it was too.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I just did this during the fourth dungeon in P4G because I got completely sick of the XP curve and needing to grind the older ones Mementos-style. But the "more" option also just makes the curve comically fast so there's no balance.

Story aside (minus all the stuff they absolutely couldn't put into a game in 2023, which is like half of it), the game honestly kinda sucks outside of the core social loop, and even then there's not a lot of clarity at times and you have to look certain things up. It's staggering how much of a QoL jump P5 was.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I've finished Strikers and I have a question about the late-gameish plot point - why did EMMA lie to Akira about the Phantom Thieves still being apprehended, after they escaped from the jail?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mmkay posted:

So I've finished Strikers and I have a question about the late-gameish plot point - why did EMMA lie to Akira about the Phantom Thieves still being apprehended, after they escaped from the jail?

EMMA was sentient and had its own agenda the whole time. The way I saw things, it figured seeing up Konoe to take the fall helped get rid of him and served as distraction for the Thieves while it finished up its planned takeover of Tokyo.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I was biting my tongue about these Mementos-rear end dungeons in P4 but the overly long door animations in the secret lab are breaking me.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Shyrka posted:

I was biting my tongue about these Mementos-rear end dungeons in P4 but the overly long door animations in the secret lab are breaking me.

I think I've mentioned this before in this thread, but P4's dungeons are substantially improved by using the speedhack from Cheat Engine.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm in the "Sky" dungeon in P4G now, and for the first time in a while, I'm hearing "wow this enemy is strong" for normal enemy types once I hit floor 8--and some of them either have large HP pools, or I'm not doing enough damage even when hitting weaknesses. I guess levels have finally caught up with me.

Also, Jesus Christ, Dojima, (big, late-game story spoilers November dungeon): you're a loving moron for leaving your daughter home alone after receiving a letter threatening to hurt your loved ones. Like, this is unbelievably dumb. Didn't even send a cop to monitor the situation, do a local investigation, maybe put MC on home arrest to protect him.

Also, I'm now 100% convinced that (speculation that probably is a spoiler in a way) Adachi is an accomplice, final boss, or maybe the third semester's boss). I dismissed the idea about 30 hours in, because it is so unbelievably cliche and the story didn't seem to be leaning that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Prowler posted:

I find some of the dumbest crossover poo poo on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdb42CQSMA

I found a pair of videos yesterday of Yugi Mutou dueling Rick Sanchez. It was the most surreal loving thing I’ve seen this year. The guy was using a voice modulation program to simulate the dialogue. And Rick had his own unique deck of course. >_>