Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

has anyone noticed how completely embarrassed this game is to be Dark Deity? Basically every moment of the characters being sentimental has the characters going 'oh you're being sappy' or something. if you want the characters to feel like friends who are reflecting on a journey, just let them breathe for five seconds, goddamn. It's like the writer has been affected emotionally by scenes like this in stories before and is really embarrassed about that.
It's probably that school of thought where if you sarcastically acknowledge how cliched or simple something is, it makes it better than just letting it play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Endorph posted:

has anyone noticed how completely embarrassed this game is to be Dark Deity? Basically every moment of the characters being sentimental has the characters going 'oh you're being sappy' or something. if you want the characters to feel like friends who are reflecting on a journey, just let them breathe for five seconds, goddamn. It's like the writer has been affected emotionally by scenes like this in stories before and is really embarrassed about that.

Delphisage posted:

It's probably that school of thought where if you sarcastically acknowledge how cliched or simple something is, it makes it better than just letting it play out.

Yeah it's honestly just a case of irony poisoning, they're bothered by someone saying that it's a bit cheesy and sappy so if they get out in front of criticisms and point it out then they're being tongue in cheek by pointing it out. This kinda ignores the fact that poking fun at these sorts of thing instead of being genuine just makes it come off as embarrassed by itself like "ooohhhh sewer levels suck in games, we'll point this out before and during the sewer level so you know just how much they suck and no we can't just not do it"

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Testekill posted:

Yeah it's honestly just a case of irony poisoning, they're bothered by someone saying that it's a bit cheesy and sappy so if they get out in front of criticisms and point it out then they're being tongue in cheek by pointing it out. This kinda ignores the fact that poking fun at these sorts of thing instead of being genuine just makes it come off as embarrassed by itself like "ooohhhh sewer levels suck in games, we'll point this out before and during the sewer level so you know just how much they suck and no we can't just not do it"

They literally do this before having you break Sloane and Sophia out of bandit jail.

This dumbass game posted:

Don't read too much into it.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
I even usually like lampshading, ironic humor more than most, but in order to make witty lampshading, you have to demonstrate that you have some mastery over the topic. Or why it exists in the first place. Lampshading, playing it straight, and then not....doing anything but a one-liner is groan-inducing in the worst ways possible.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

AncientSpark posted:

I even usually like lampshading, ironic humor more than most, but in order to make witty lampshading, you have to demonstrate that you have some mastery over the topic. Or why it exists in the first place. Lampshading, playing it straight, and then not....doing anything but a one-liner is groan-inducing in the worst ways possible.

I advise you to avoid watching most anime made in the past decade. Especially if it's an adaptation of a light novel web novel fanfiction.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Endorph posted:

extreme modern quippy-ness with a dash of good ol insecurity because "ahhh that'd be too sincere and Corny we need to make everyone Cool and Witty" maybe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Delphisage posted:

I advise you to avoid watching most anime made in the past decade. Especially if it's an adaptation of a light novel web novel fanfiction.
i mean most anime are pretty sincere even to this day tbh. isekai anime have this trend of self-awareness but outside of that, like, shonen, stuff tends to play things pretty straight.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Endorph posted:

i mean most anime are pretty sincere even to this day tbh. isekai anime have this trend of self-awareness but outside of that, like, shonen, stuff tends to play things pretty straight.

I'd have thought you knew by now that there is no point engaging with Delphisage because he will never look past his own opinions.

Anyway, in this particular case I think it's also that the writers just... don't have any close friends and don't realise that witty edgy banter is supposed to be part of a friendship, not the entire thing. It's okay to feel emotions sometimes and your friends aren't supposed to do nothing but mock you 24/7.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Writing like that is a symptom of Joss Whedon disease, it's often lethal and very few recover.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm starting to think this script never got more than one draft.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Black Robe posted:

I'd have thought you knew by now that there is no point engaging with Delphisage because he will never look past his own opinions.

Anyway, in this particular case I think it's also that the writers just... don't have any close friends and don't realise that witty edgy banter is supposed to be part of a friendship, not the entire thing. It's okay to feel emotions sometimes and your friends aren't supposed to do nothing but mock you 24/7.

It's self-conscious. It's a video game made by people who were making a video game, where I think many games are fundamentally made by people who want to tell a story or show off something they think is cool or people who want to realize some idea.

It's a different of mentality, in my eyes.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hey, What If We Introduced The Stakes In The Clumsiest Way Possible?

It's time for more god drat supports. Fortunately as we approach the end of the game the characters are exhausting their useless one personality trait and there are less of them. The only one you really "have" to read for this critique is Vesta/Maeve.

Support Dump!

I am actually shocked the game was stupid enough to go here and have two of the characters lament how idiotic this entire setup is.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So a bunch of editing mistakes ate part of the footage and I need to redo the level, but I did save this one image as a preview for you all:

Yes, that is a boss with a fifty one percent crit rate.

Game design!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

this, but unironically posted:

OVERTIME?? This is the most evil thing I've ever heard of in this game and I'm glad we started that civil war. We're all behind you!

Also fenton showing some real we're_the_good_guys.txt with that comment about using his hoard for buying and selling the people that mocked him.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 31, 2023

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Demise of King Arengee

Welcome back! Last time on Dark Deity, we did a really boring filler battle because a Kickstarter dude in a wolf hat decided to betray the king so our heroes didn't have to get their hands dirty and actually siege the city.

Today Varic is gonna die. Spoilers.

I too fear "confronation".

I'm also very confused about when these characters have suffered hardship ever. They live in a secret cave with infinity money, they never lose a fight and no one ever dies.

:words:: Though nothing is assured, the Revolution's resolve has never been stronger.

Don't get too excited, now. I know we can count the number of times Empyrean has appeared in the story on one hand, and you might expect him to stop eating nachos or something. Well, I'm not gonna spoil it.

This is a surprisingly reasonable request.

: You have the Aspect, and the blessing of my power. You must stop them on your own.

Yeah, of course Empyrean isn't going to commit. Those premium nachos aren't going to eat themselves.

I'm also legitimately wondering if Varic was playable at one point seeing as he's the only NPC to get multiple portraits.

There's not even an animation here, Empyrean just lazily disappears. They didn't even bother using the phase animation they had for the mages.

He's not even wrong. Irving started his traitor career killing Delian soldiers on the battlefield.

We cut to Team Bozo in the corner.

: This is it, friends. We've come too far to be stopped now. Let's be done with this war.

: To arms!

This triggers an entire rear end loading screen for some reason. Let's summarize this crap, shall we?

TheGreatEvilKing summary posted:

:words:: Wow our heroes totally suffered many hardships to get here but now they can stop the evil king Apostrophe Badman. He's SUPER BAD! POOPY WOOPY!

: Hey look, it's the rebels.

: Alright, we're a team, right? Let's fight them together. I bet we can take them.

: My guy I already gave you a magic rock and, um, "the blessing of my power".

: The gently caress is that supposed to mean?

: You do like 70 damage per hit and have a 51% crit rate. I'm going to go abandon you to eat nachos.

: What the hell man? I thought we were supposed to be a Team of Evil. I thought we had a shared interest in you succeeding? I don't get it. You've spent all this time setting me up to use the resources of my kingdom, and you're just gonna throw it away to eat nachos?

: CHEESE OH YISSS!!!!

: Fine you loving coward. Men! We stand against the murderous revolution today! You all know what they did to Henry Val'Myren in his own home. They stand for nothing. They value no one except themselves. They have deceived the common people with lies about gods they do not believe in. They would starve our families to death. They've slaughtered hundreds of our comrades in arms on the whim of a crazed teenager. No more! For Delia! For our future! FORWARD!

: Varic's on his throne, probably.

: KILL! KILL! KILLLLLLL THE BADMANNNNNN!

I whiffle replacing Monroe with Aurima before realizing Aurima's stupidly underleveled.

This is loving rich. Let's go over some of the highlights of the heroic revolution, shall we?

Irving and Co gently caress Up posted:

You have to remember, Irving and company started an actual civil war because Varic "might" know something about Empyrean. These are not smart people.

Anyway, the map. The map is full of side rooms with hordes of enemies and treasure chests. Now, remember what I said about treasure chests being completely loving worthless in this game? There's no reason to waste time over there, so we may as well just head straight to Varic.

The Kingsguard have triple digit HP and they're just not a threat. They can actually start hitting our dodge tanks, but you don't actually care.

The game thinks we're underleveled and is going to throw a whole ton of levels at the gang.

Monroe promotes into a pyromancer and is still kind of trash. I just don't have anyone of comparable level lying around.

Caius is still kind of useless. Look at how little damage he's doing.

We'll fast forward through the bait and clear of generic enemies a bit.

I want to reiterate there's still absolutely no strategy other than "bait badman, kill badman". For now.

Whatever genius took out crit avoid as a stat needs to rethink their life choices.

Actually no you're kind of poo poo. 14 goddamn speed.

Alexa, on the other hand, is kind of hardcore.

We're almost to Varic now.

Nice! We're almost at Varic. All the guards are almost dead.

Shut up Faust.

So, let's take a look at His Majesty.

Varic is probably one of the better bosses in the game, though that's not saying much. You'll notice he has only 700 hit points. There is probably a Wow Man build that can blow through that in one shot, but I don't have the guys to do that. Oh well, everything else in this map was piss easy, let's send in Wow Man to start chunking away with his nuclear crits.

Ok, this looks bad, but remember that Ancient Blood skill? Taldeer here can only take 60% of his max HP. Fry his rear end, Keebler.

Oh, poo poo, he missed.

Ah, poo poo. Yeah, if you missed the preview earlier in the thread, Varic has a completely loving bonkers fifty one percent critical hit rate. It's OK, our ancient blood will activate and -

YOU CHEATING MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!

Incidentally, Varic uses the same spell as Thae'lanel but casts it by hitting the ground with the sword, then he snazzily brushes his cape back into position.

I know, I'm shocked they gave him a unique sprite too.

We actually got lucky here because Legolas doesn't use his strength at all. However, because the battlesave feature is poorly thought out, we can just reset the turn and use an actual big brain strategy on Varic here.

The first and most obvious cheese strategy is to use a sniper. Snipers have a range of 3, Varic won't move and is locked to 1-2 range, so we can sit here and have Caius farm levels for 70 rounds until Varic is dead. I didn't say he was a good boss, I said he was one of the better Dark Deity bosses. There is, however, a faster way.

Bianca here has enough hit points that Varic can't actually kill her on a crit, thanks to the devs making criticals "only" double damage to "fix" the problem of no crit avoid like you would fix a dog. She also has a bunch of random procs for being an adept, but that's neither here nor there.

It's fine. Everything's fine. Oof.

See? Nothing to worry about. She's fine.

She even got a level. Sure, she's at twelve hit points next to an extremely powerful boss enemy, but pssh. There are two obvious solutions. We can hit her with two healers who are outside Varic's threat range so she can keep trucking, but this runs the admittedly minor risk that the healers won't be able to outheal Varic's stupid high DPS. Or...

We can finally find a use for that mage phase ability our mages have been toting all game. Yes, it's just rescue abuse which is advanced Fire Emblem 101. Congratulations, Dark Deity, you have forced me to use a basic strategy on chapter 25 of your Fire Emblem knockoff game. Wow.

Seriously, that's it! You can also blitz him down in one round if you get lucky and get enough crits and dodges to get through him. I never said he was a GOOD boss.

At least Samara got a good level out of healing the rescuees.

Just keep grindin!

There's no special dialogue for Varic fighting anyone, as you should expect by now. These developers literally bragged in an interview about all the corners they cut to finish this game in two years.

|

I'm really beginning to think the dragon knight is low key one of the best classes in the game.

Yawn.

Christ you suck.

Yeah, there's only one way this fight could end.

That thankfully ends the level.

The stage being named "Justice" is still hilarious to me.

It's funny, because Varic cares about his family and Irving murdered his own brother by being a dumbass.

I don't think it's intentional that we literally have Monroe speaking here. Lest you forget, Monroe's support with Faust explains that Monroe despises his father for not oppressing the peasants hard enough.

I can't even parse this loving statement. I think he's trying to say that the royal family was unchallenged, but he's also terrible with words and an idiot who challenges people to reading comprehension challenges because he's insecure about his small brain.

I don't even know.

It's hilarious, because Varic started the war to avenge his father, and Sloane executed hers to steal his money.

I'm legitimately convinced an early build had playable Varic. There's no reason to give him multiple expressions while Empyrean always looks like he smelled a wet fart.

Oh no! A lazy purple filter! WoOoOoOooOooOOo!!!!

Immediately ruined by a loading screen.

Yeah, that's right! We've never mentioned a "Tower of Solace" before now Akmenos' comment about the tower in Sojourn doesn't count, dammit! so we're just gonna have poo poo happen!

Did you know Cia's a barmaid?

Now, in a reasonable world, people would be extremely pissed at Maeve. She knew about Empyrean and didn't tell anyone. Then again, no one seems to have actually thought to ask Varic about "the sorcerer". Even Sloane just taunted him that they knew all about him and blah blah blah yakkity smackity.

Oh, you're still here?

God drat

Why are there so many of you

: It doesn't.

Maeve has never cast a god drat spell in her life. Why are they asking her instead of all the many magic users they brought with them?

: I've been spending every waking moment with these soul anchors for weeks.

: The Astral Plane is where the souls in the anchors reside. It's where our own souls reside.

Huh?

: I met an Astral Seeker, once. It is not unheard of to pass through the Astral Plane.

This is especially stupid because it's a third tier class for adepts. Bianca is an Astral Seeker right now. Hell, Elias could be one and he's standing right there.

Please stop rotating these idiots in.

Yes, game, you have made the point that this is very spooky and shouldn't be possible, even though we know next to nothing about Nacho Man.

: Well, this looks like the end of Delia. My family worked for centuries to build this country up and you just rent it apart with civil war. Thanks, assholes!

: NO U R BAD! You ruined the country, with, um, slavery and stuff!

: Huh? My guy, were you listening to that Irene chick who was paid by Maeve, the woman who kept you in the dark about that sorcerer dude? Your judgment is loving rich coming from the guy who murdered his former comrades in arms to cause a giant explosion!

: No u SUCK Varic! You are a greedy robber man, unlike me, a snobbish noble who hates his father for not oppressing the peasants enough.

: Oh yea? Well, gently caress you, I still have a plan!

: You've lost, Varic!

: The woman who killed her own father passes judgement on me? Lol. Lmao.

: Oh yea? Well, we know all about that wizard guy. Uh... what was his name again?

: You fools! With my dying breath, I banish you to the... Anime Zone! The Dark Deity will rise, and he will bless this kingdom with greatness! Or something! Now I'm loving dead! I don't have to be in this lovely game any more! I hear Ash of Gods 2 is hiring, may as well apply for that.

: Oh no! We've been transported to the anime zone! Quick, everyone, throw out a line about how you don't understand this, and it's impossible!

TheGreatEvilKing: snip!

: It's OK, I understand. :smuggo: We're in the Astral Plane! This is the payoff for that stupid subplot with the evil staff! Yea!

: I met an Astral Seeker once. Durr.

: Am I a joke to you?

: This spell is more powerful than the Eetazeeb Corporation!

: We should climb this tower, I guess.

: Wheeeeee!

What a trash fire.

Next Time: Supports, then the meaningless death of Akmenos.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

There's something extremely funny that I find about Helena being fairly prominent on official banners of the game but she's such a nonentity that you count the number of lines she gets on two hands after you recruit her. You'd think based on that she'd be a relatively significant character but she might as well be a character that you recruit in the last third of the game.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I legitimately forgot about Helena until you mentioned her just now.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
It's bewildering how consistent the writing is when it comes to Irving's group being self-delusional and reprehensible. If only the devs actually went all the way there intentionally and not by accident.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

someone remind me again what Varic actually did wrong? Because I'm pretty sure the only reason Irving wanted to kill him was that the boobs told him to.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Black Robe posted:

someone remind me again what Varic actually did wrong? Because I'm pretty sure the only reason Irving wanted to kill him was that the boobs told him to.
Kicked off the game by invading a neighboring country? I think? Which country are we from, anyway?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yes, nominally the inciting incident is that the king blames [country the princesses are from] for murdering his father and thus started a war with them over a trumped-up justification. That this plotline was almost immediately sidelined in favor of magic space rocks and a field trip to a jungle on another continent, and the war has apparently just been on pause for the past 30 hours of gameplay - to the point where even Irving doesn't really seem to clearly remember why we're killing this guy - is kind of the problem.

e: Irving and Co. only got involved because Varic was so desperate for troops for said war that he was drafting untrained recruits, and that was months ago in-game. But somehow Varic has a massive army of world-class elites just sitting around at every single location we attack. Who's fighting the war?

megane fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 31, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dead dad is a v traditional just cause.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

goatface posted:

Dead dad is a v traditional just cause.

Yeah, but the game explicitly stated the evidence was kind of sketch and it looks like he was jumping to conclusions.

I.e. we're gonna find out the nacho place did it soon.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

This feels like a tabletop RPG that the GM is running from a pre-written module but also including pet characters and themes from other games and the PCs don't exactly line up with the goals of the module or the GM so it just becomes session after session of combat because nobody sure what to do.

Not like I have any experience with this scenario or anything. :sweatdrop:

I know this is causing you agony TGEK but I am glad you are doing this so we don't have to.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

I love how out-of-place Ford is, with his constantly-mid-swish mug. This extends to just about every time his portrait is shown, but it's special here because he doesn't even get a token line.

Like, I think I get what they were going for - the closest they could get to a shot of everyone's shocked reaction - but why use Ford for it and completely ruin the moment?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

LiefKatano posted:

I love how out-of-place Ford is, with his constantly-mid-swish mug. This extends to just about every time his portrait is shown, but it's special here because he doesn't even get a token line.

Like, I think I get what they were going for - the closest they could get to a shot of everyone's shocked reaction - but why use Ford for it and completely ruin the moment?

To remind the player to go get absolutely hammered, it's the only way for the plot to make sense.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Wow this game sucks rear end. Just so many words splattered out without actually saying anything that moves the plot.

The writers need to retake high school English literature class, like wow. I can't spot any kind of rising or falling action in this narrative once throughout the whole lp. The structure is just a squiggly flat line.

It's that classic nerd world building obsession where the nerds want to be Tolkien but forget that he actually wrote an actual plot for things to happen. Just endless meandering, meaningless bullshit.

I have played GBA Fire Emblem custom romhacks with better writing than Dark Deity. And they charge money to play Dark Deity, unlike said romhacks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The most damning thing I can say about dark Deity, is that the best thing I can say about dark Deity is that it's better put together than feddop.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

How Rude posted:

It's that classic nerd world building obsession where the nerds want to be Tolkien but forget that he actually wrote an actual plot for things to happen. Just endless meandering, meaningless bullshit.

Or even just people want to be Shakespeare and forget that Shakespeare wrote raunchy sex jokes, protagonists taunting bad guys over how they hosed the bad guy's mom, and crossdressing.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

FoolyCharged posted:

The most damning thing I can say about dark Deity, is that the best thing I can say about dark Deity is that it's better put together than feddop.

I don't think the bar can go lower than feddop. Maybe if you count Crazy Bus for Sega Genesis as a strategy game.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

otoh no line in dark deity has ever been as memorable as Pick up your Killer Axe... and Kill!!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I didn't say that it was a better game than FEDDOP. Feddop entertained with its stupidity. I just said it was better put together than the romhack where you walked through walls and where stats would regularly underfloor and overflow.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I've never heard of Feddop. Is there a thread where I can learn more about it?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Solitair posted:

I've never heard of Feddop. Is there a thread where I can learn more about it?

If you've got archives access.

Alternatively, read the archived LP.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Plop!

Well King Varic is gone, but the dull supports are still here!

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162322

I was going to have a whole thing on the life and death of King Varic, but then I realized that Black Geyser, a game people in the thread compared to a "dementia simulator", had a better written mad king in that people actually hated him for being a dick.

I don't think there's anything I can write here that's going to top that.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
For Varic to invoke any feelings whatsoever, he kind of has to, well, DO THINGS. Black Geyser's story is better because people actually take actions in that game. Yes, the actions are by and large utterly stupid. But it's better than the villains here because we can at least gape at what they're doing.

There's nothing to comment on with the villains here. They're not hateable, loveable, or anything in between because they don't do stuff. An utter absence of action can start out as feeling stupid, but when it goes on for this long, it just creates an utter lack of emotion regarding them.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

How Rude posted:

I don't think the bar can go lower than feddop. Maybe if you count Crazy Bus for Sega Genesis as a strategy game.

Isn't FEDDOP an extremely old romhack before people made sophisticated tools or even figure out how the game worked generally? The dev would've been under some very heavy constraints, and it seemed to me they also had to contend with some heavy language barrier and they probably were just like some very excitable people (might even be kids at the time) faffing about for fun.

Meanwhile Dark Deity is a commercial product that prides itself on being some kind of self-aware epic that is going to deconstruct and subvert FE cliches, but can't even play its tropes straight and mess up cargo cult writing so far that the characters went from cliche to being reprehensible despite still being hailed by the writers as paragons of virtue.

Even stuff like Black Geyser, Numenera and Stygian at least have the excuse of trying to be a CRPG and having to account for player choices and variables - Dark Deity's an entirely linear story that does not have to worry about players seeing different things. Not even permadeath exist.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

CremePudding posted:

a commercial product that prides itself on being some kind of self-aware epic that is going to deconstruct and subvert [storytelling] cliches, but can't even play its tropes straight and mess up cargo cult writing so far that the characters went from cliche to being reprehensible despite still being hailed by the writers as paragons of virtue.

This description feels insanely familiar. Mostly the cargo cult part.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Death of a Nacho Man

Last time on Dark Deity, we killed Varic for his many crimes that the heroes, by and large, were also guilty of. Today we're going to stop Akmenos' nacho obsession in the stupidest possible way.

I will start by pointing out Maeve's support is still bugged because this is not a good game.

I then go through and upgrade some weapons, including Liberty because... I don't know why, ok?

:words:: As they finish the fight, a massive explosion rocks the palace. Everything goes black.

:words:: The party reappears in a strange, almost dreamlike room. Ambient light surrounds them.

:words:: They are in the Astral Plane, a realm of existence lain in top of the Mortal Realm.

:words:: It is unclear what is powering the mechanism keeping them there.

:words:: They resolve to move towards the top of the Spire after a short rest.

Wait, what?

: As old as Sojourn itself.

Oh goddammit.

: Elias? Are you alright?

Does anyone care about this loving evil staff subplot?

You can see Elias is down at the bottom in the Evil Staff Zone (tm)

: The veil is lifted.

: What are you saying?

None of this explains why Akmenos went through all this bullshit of hiding himself in the staff instead of just teleporting away like the game showed us he could.

Generic recolors! WoOoOoOoOoO!

: If some of us enter the staff and defeat Akmenos, he'll lose control of his thralls.

This is a blatant lie.

: Take care to not perish in the anchor.

: What happens if you die in a soul anchor?

Why would it be for- oh, who cares.

: That sounds promising. Well, who's in?

: We'd better decide quickly. They're closing in.

: Wow, these crude crayon drawings are really old!

: Yes, the ancient symbol of the Penetrator dates back before some event in our Deep Lore no sane person will care about!

: My subplot! The developers.. I see it now! We need an excuse to fight Akmenos and kill him because he's been so involved in this plot!

: Duuurf?

TGEK: Time to cut out a bunch of these stereotypes' useless interjections.

: Blah blah blah soul anchor blah blah blah. Look, we need to fight on two fronts - one front vs the army of undead to buy time for the dudes in the staff to grinding advance at Akmenos.

: Be sure to keep your HP above 0. To do otherwise is strictly forbidden, for obvious reasons!

Now, unlike the other map on the bridge where you had to massacre infinity sword guys, there's actually no objective outside of the glowing blue "staff area".

There are ravening hordes of generics who are actually kind of dangerous as they're all coded to rush the nearest player unit. If we were dumb enough to deploy all these extra units someone could get hurt... but our only objective is to kill Akmenos.

Thus we can just... not deploy anyone into the danger zone. It's that easy!

Instead, we drop Faust, Sloane, and Bianca down here. There are five guys in chokepoints this team can one-round easily, and we have enough healing to keep the team going through all five guys.

At this point we literally have to be trying to lose.

Nothing about this subplot makes any sense and I don't care. I choose to believe Akmenos went into the staff because he had a magic nacho machine and the nacho shop guy Empyrean and Akmenos used to go to went out of business because they bought out all his stock for years. Thus Empyrean's attempt at godhood is to go back in time and restore the nacho shop.

It's a better plot than anything in this game, is all I'm saying.

Again, there's no defend spot where the hordes of recolors grab the staff. We've effectively neutralized this entire legion of generics by just... not being there.

The first Generic Chokepoint Recolor Undead goes down.

Akmenos has really let himself go with a measly 100hp. I get that the developers are trying to make it a race against time to see if you can kill Akmenos before the Recolor Legion fucks you up, but they needed to make it so that you actually had to deploy forces to fight the Recolor Legion! I think they broke the single unit speedrun challenge with that Canopy Bridge map anyway!

Sloane kills the second Chokepoint Maroon.

Surprisingly decent level.

Anyway, we do need to sit through the entire enemy phase of these morons rushing the bottom of the screen at our triad they can't actually reach.

Both ladies gank this recolor before he can dishonor the noble undead further.

Waste of time!

poo poo. Apparently Faust's Ethereal does protect him from this and the tooltip is just completely wrong. Thank you for taking my $20 you INCOMPETENT HACKS!

I have to bring the entire team in to swarm this guy.

It's not good either.

The recolors are forming a conga line but despite what Elias said, they can't cross into the staff zone or even fire across the wall.

RIP! This is the last generic standing between us and Akmenos.

Faust picks up a level for healing one of the girls.

Akmenos is even more of a chump than last time.

Bianca literally one-shots his rear end.

You know, it's kind of funny her crit animation has her awkwardly adjusting her hair. I know it's a lazy portrait reuse, but it's still funny.

Now... it's time for Dark Deity dialogue!

Irving's gonna cry!

: Don't you see the irony of your folly? The ritual has already begun, and you've brought the Aspects right to him, like a pack of faithful dogs.

But... why? I thought Empyrean said at the evil meeting he didn't need the aspects? Didn't Empyrean order Akmenos to eliminate these guys ASAP?

: Hahahaha! Clever! But not clever enough, for I see you will not concede. There is a foolish determination in each of you.

Why would they concede? They've literally never talked with Empyrean and the guy has hosed over everyone who has worked with him.

Unfortunately I've seen the final fight and it's piss easy like the rest of this game.

: Hah... bold, even in the face of death. Well... your defeat is no longer my concern. That falls to another now, one far more powerful than I.

If you're reading this, I want you to go eat some nachos in honor of this brave man who died trying to stop a pack of war criminals.

Oh gently caress off.

: He'll never torture another soul again.

Irving, excited to do the exact same thing as Akmenos totally did offscreen posted:

: Well, poo poo. You got me, mostly due to your incredible capacity for violence. But Empyrean's totally gonna become the Dark Deity, mannn!

: The Dark Deity????

: Yeah you guys screwed up! You brought all the magic rocks here and I guess they power the ritual or something.

: D... did we gently caress up by refusing to gather any real information and blindly following whatever the last NPC told us to do?

: Checks out.

: Cute. You might as well fight to the end to keep your dignity, or something.

: Nuh uh we're totally going to win!

: Yea. Sure. Well, I'm dying now. I will never eat nachos again. Those crunchy chips... that cheesy goodness... you have taken that from me. I have nothing.

: Ha ha what an rear end in a top hat. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to come down from my bloodlust high by starving more people.

: Torturing souls is only OK when I do it! We better get to the next level so we can grinding advance!

I like how the party picked up his name from Akmenos using it once and suddenly it's "Empyrean wants this" and "Empyrean wants that".

The writers have a problem. Empyrean is supposed to be the titular Dark Deity (maybe), the man behind Varic's vaguely evil schemes, Akmenos' mysterious master, and and the most powerful sorcerer with infinity powers.

Empyrean has appeared on screen exactly four times: the Evil Meeting about Nachos, the battlefield where he was doing... stuff openly despite preaching secrecy, the evil meeting with Varic where he told Varic that it was Varic's job to deal with Irving and co, and then his abandonment of Varic after casting a bunch of buffs.

We know nothing about him and we're going into the second to last mission in the game. Now, a competent writer would have avoided this by having Empyrean actually do villainous things, but the Dark Deity writers are inept and going to handle this in the most idiotic way possible.

I sure hope you remembered the scattered references to "Cosmere University" scattered through the text. I think Maeve mentions it twice in the main game, and you get a few more mentions in various supports for the Illuminati characters.

This of course raises many questions the characters will not consider, such as "was someone in the Order helping him" and "why would you keep the ritual to destroy the world at all?"

Vesta's face being obscured by Monroe's book is hilarious.

: They have to be connected somehow. The Calamity must have proved the Aspects were more powerful than anyone imagined.

"They could swap TWO WHOLE STATS!"

So... what was Empyrean doing on the battlefield then? Was that an initial Rite of Ascension attempt, and the goal was to start a war to do it during a battle?

If that's the case, why didn't Varic, Akmenos, and Empyrean all work together to kill the party and just take their Aspects? Empyrean was perfectly happy to give an Aspect to Varic.

: But that's just it. The last time the ritual was tried didn't work.

: Then what did it do?

Oh man Helena's a real character. Maybe she could have spoken up earlier?

: The Rite of Ascension caused the Calamity. That's what connects all this, the Order, the Aspects, the guarded archives.

This is reminding me of Ash of Gods, where the game desperately wanted to be coy about the Reapers' evil motives and their plan to spread plague and then it turned out to be the generic "resurrect the dark god"!

This game spent so much time in obfuscation and overly complicated plots and dumbass mystery boxes to hide that Empyrean wanted to become a god with the con of destroying the world.

: I am.

: Sheesh. This is worse than walking to Kurch.

: I am a DORF!

: A ritual? Ascent? I don't know what that means but it gets me all hot and bothered.

: Maybe the bad man doing the ritual knows more about the ritual than us, the people who let Maeve continually withhold information we could have used to stop this guy.

: I wonder if he is doing the ritual Akmenos told us he was doing? Maybe the Illuminati could tell us...

: That's it! Apparently I knew enough to piece the entire plot together but like didn't tell anyone! It turns out that the Prodigy was a student named "Atlas Shale" at that Cosmere place that's been mentioned briefly in passing! That was secretly an Illuminati university that had the world-destroying ritual because we're all morons, and he must have stolen it!

: What about the magic rocks? Akmenos said we were stupid morons who provided them for free.

: It all fits! See, it's the Rite of Ascension that ties this whole plot together - two dollar Sephiroth, the Illuminati, Cosmere University!

: I have so many questions, but these dumbfucks literally helped get everything I ever wanted, so who cares?

: The Aspects are like batteries, conveniently removing anything original or interesting from any part of this ritual.

: My god! We've been manipulated by idiots! You think Empyrean likes green haired titty ladies?

: He's probably gonna fry our asses with his god powers!

: But the ritual is defective and didn't work.

: What did it do last time?

: It destroyed the world!

: What you say???

: gently caress.

: I know stumbling around like idiots got us here, but I propose we keep stumbling up the tower like the god drat morons we are.

Next time: Supports, then a battle on Rainbow Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Empyrean could honestly be replaced entirely by a cardboard cutout of himself that Akmenos/Varic keeps moving around.