Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Phylodox posted:

Wait, poo poo, hold up…does this mean we might get a Calamity animated movie/mini-series?!? Could there be animated Bolo?!?

I feel like the Calamity short series they did would work quite well as an animated movie. Trim some stuff here and there and you can tell a concise story in a specific place and time with a clear beginning, middle, and end.

If they're sticking with Exandria for campaign 4 and not going wild with a new setting (and maybe even a new play system to go with it), a Calamity set series seems like a sound choice with a lot of potential for craziness. That'd then make the Calamity series they've already done a nice prequel to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't watch the Critical Role twitch thing but I do watch this. I know what critical role are though. I've been really enjoying the series but seriously Amazon takes a long time to put out animated series.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
They're taking a good while on Invincible, but one year between seasons of LoVM is a pretty standard pace.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

They can’t be splitting the party they’ve already shown (in the trailer) Scanlan and Vax deciding they need to be INSIDE the dragon.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I suspect that Team 2.5 Humans will be back in time for the Kill Box and subsequently Umbrasyl.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Froghammer posted:

D&D dragons compulsively hoard gold and treasure. Demanding regular tribute is how dragons interact with non-dragons.

There have been a couple of fantasy series that have made the joke about how while gold is less comfortable to sleep on than hay, it's also far less combustible.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Some dragons do put all that treasure to use. Buying magic items or rare spell components they can't get by force or hiring spies and other lackeys.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Paracaidas posted:

ETA: Very curious to see how they handle Beau. I'd be surprised if Marisha voices her without some obvious changes.

I've seen this a couple places, as someone who is only a few episodes into C2, does Marisha lose or change her voice or something later? Or do people just think she can't maintain it long term?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aquasnake posted:

I've seen this a couple places, as someone who is only a few episodes into C2, does Marisha lose or change her voice or something later? Or do people just think she can't maintain it long term?

Beau is a brown skinned character.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Dexo posted:

Beau is a brown skinned character.

Ah, ok. I think they've picked up sensitivity coaches since C2 started so I'm sure they already have ideas on how they'll handle stuff like that going forward. They probably figured something out before they made the announcement, they're just keeping it close to the chest.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

Ah, ok. I think they've picked up sensitivity coaches since C2 started so I'm sure they already have ideas on how they'll handle stuff like that going forward. They probably figured something out before they made the announcement, they're just keeping it close to the chest.

For reference this was the original official portrait

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I'm guessing they'll just keep her "as is"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The general problem here is that animation Voice Acting has a real serious Diversity problem.

They probably skate on Beau and others because their cast(in the cartoon) is otherwise generally diverse as poo poo.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm loving this, but I am upset they're rushing through everything so quick and missing a lot of great content. It's so popular they could do this as a One Piece and go for decades with it. It's already written, there isn't a reason to have tiny quick seasons anymore. Do it justice and flesh it all out perfectly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Philthy posted:

I'm loving this, but I am upset they're rushing through everything so quick and missing a lot of great content. It's so popular they could do this as a One Piece and go for decades with it. It's already written, there isn't a reason to have tiny quick seasons anymore. Do it justice and flesh it all out perfectly.

FWIW, this season was created as a part of the original order than included season one.

But also, Amazon is pretty fickle and changes its content strategy very regularly. They commissioned about six different YA shows about two years back and then backtracked and cancelled them all. I wouldn't bet any money on this show having a long shelf life.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Yeah all it needs is some bean counter says "its not as profitable anymore" for them to stop making it and "gently caress you" if its still in the middle of a story

That or some brain-dead idiot to take over and just ruin everything, like with whats going on with HBO/Discovery

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There's definitely stuff I would have loved to see animated that has sadly been skipped (like the standoff in the workshop between Grog and Percy over the Gith skull which they just straight up don't have in this version) but we gotta be realistic here. Critical Role Campaign 1 was over 400 hours of content. poo poo was always going to get pared down and no matter what you remove, it's always going to be somebody's favorite scene (unless it's a Tiberius scene. Nobody wants to see that poo poo).

And just because Amazon likes them now doesn't mean they're safe forever. I would rather they told a story to completion than tried to fit in every memorable scene and then got canceled after season 4 with only half the dragons dead and entire story arcs untapped.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

CuwiKhons posted:

There's definitely stuff I would have loved to see animated that has sadly been skipped (like the standoff in the workshop between Grog and Percy over the Gith skull which they just straight up don't have in this version) but we gotta be realistic here. Critical Role Campaign 1 was over 400 hours of content. poo poo was always going to get pared down and no matter what you remove, it's always going to be somebody's favorite scene (unless it's a Tiberius scene. Nobody wants to see that poo poo).

And just because Amazon likes them now doesn't mean they're safe forever. I would rather they told a story to completion than tried to fit in every memorable scene and then got canceled after season 4 with only half the dragons dead and entire story arcs untapped.

Tiberius going around up the chain of command buffooning his way to the top to get the teleport sigil ("Hello, I'm Tiberius Stormwind of Draconia" x25) would have been funny to animate. :colbert:

But also, gently caress him and all the baggage that would have added.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
So when does the final episode drop? I’ve found it’s easier on my brain to have the whole thing available before watching.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Antitonic posted:

So when does the final episode drop? I’ve found it’s easier on my brain to have the whole thing available before watching.

I believe that'll be a week from Thursday.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

12 eps per season, this Thursday night will be eps 7-9. Next Thursday will be 10-12.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Cheers. Couldn’t remember if it was consistent amounts of releases or not. Was the first one three episodes?

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

So is the vod for this week's watch along missing from their twitch channel? Can't find it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dameius posted:

Tiberius going around up the chain of command buffooning his way to the top to get the teleport sigil ("Hello, I'm Tiberius Stormwind of Draconia" x25) would have been funny to animate. :colbert:

only having read about it way after the fact when CR was already super popular it feels like that dude executed one of the biggest bag-fumblings ever

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

only having read about it way after the fact when CR was already super popular it feels like that dude executed one of the biggest bag-fumblings ever

I remember that was the consensus back when the briarwood arc was still originally airing and he had only been gone for a few episodes officially. The stream from pretty early on, I'd say maybe around mid Briarwood to possibly where S2 kicked off felt like they had captured lightning in a bottle and it was just wild growth week to week in either raw numbers, awareness, or both.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
and if you read his socials he's clearly bitter about it too

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Really only has himself to blame -- at the time we didn't really know anything about his scammy poo poo so his biggest crime was basically just being an annoying D&D player and un-courteous improviser.

I have to imagine they had warned him before to knock it off, he was by all accounts a good friend of theirs and I can't imagine them just booting him out of the blue

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is a pretty good recap of the drama, for those who're curious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/q5c2xf/web_media_critical_role_and_orion_acaba_how_to/

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dameius posted:

I remember that was the consensus back when the briarwood arc was still originally airing and he had only been gone for a few episodes officially. The stream from pretty early on, I'd say maybe around mid Briarwood to possibly where S2 kicked off felt like they had captured lightning in a bottle and it was just wild growth week to week in either raw numbers, awareness, or both.

yeah I was reading some of the old recaps on the wiki and they were like "oh wow we've got 3,000 subscribers! special prize for No. 3100!" and then they uhhhh stop doing that in such small intervals pretty quickly

it really is incredible. The guy got in on the ground floor of a media empire which involved him *playing D&D for work* and blew it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/satinephoenix/status/670302712106356737?s=20&t=cw-SXyNf6x-T01DWzRy84A

welp

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pattonesque posted:

yeah I was reading some of the old recaps on the wiki and they were like "oh wow we've got 3,000 subscribers! special prize for No. 3100!" and then they uhhhh stop doing that in such small intervals pretty quickly

it really is incredible. The guy got in on the ground floor of a media empire which involved him *playing D&D for work* and blew it.

The Pete Best of the digital era

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Pete Best of the digital era

big ooof

and even then like, apparently his character was p. popular back in the day so it'd be like if the Beatles power rankings were Lennon/McCartney, Best, Harrison/Starr

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Pattonesque posted:

big ooof

and even then like, apparently his character was p. popular back in the day so it'd be like if the Beatles power rankings were Lennon/McCartney, Best, Harrison/Starr

That’s the hell of it, Tiberius was definitely a fan favorite. He was goofy and arrogant but it seemed like he was down with having the piss taken out of him. There were a few moments early on that were laugh out loud funny - a dwarf wizard casting silence on him only for Orion to start miming talking without missing a beat was great. He just fell head first into being That Guy. All the poo poo that came out afterwards was just puke frosting on a poop cake.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is a good summation. I was re-watching the bit where Orion had his little tantrum when Tiberius saw Allura and Kiva together. And not 'together' together, at least not then. He reminded me a lot of bad players I'd seen over the years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dameius posted:

can you actually explain this one to me

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

can you actually explain this one to me

If you're referring to the spoiler text then the link above to summarize the drama will be good enough. If you're referring to the scene then the pre-context you need about his character was that he was supposed to be a pompous arrogant know-it-all noble, but secretly was putting on that act and had a heart of gold kind of deal.

In the plot, which all happened before S1 kicks off so I won't spoiler it, they take a spell circle to a new location, like a large organization's library I think? (I honestly forget the context to them landing there) and he basically just walks up to the first person and does his introduction and word vomits at the guy trying to get what he wants. Gets redirected to be Someone Else's Problem™ up the food chain and he repeats the same act. This cycle repeats like 6-8 times in game before VM gets what they want.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dameius posted:

In the plot, which all happened before S1 kicks off so I won't spoiler it, they take a spell circle to a new location, like a large organization's library I think? (I honestly forget the context to them landing there) and he basically just walks up to the first person and does his introduction and word vomits at the guy trying to get what he wants. Gets redirected to be Someone Else's Problem™ up the food chain and he repeats the same act. This cycle repeats like 6-8 times in game before VM gets what they want.

that sounds legit funny

also his absence leaves ... not a narrative hole but for a group that leans into D&D tropes so hard it's weird not to have a pure spellcaster

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

The "infinite amount" of sorcerer points he had at his disposal (because he was cheating) were very helpful to him and wouldn't be an issue in animated form

but having a blatant cheater in the game really ruins it overall - its always funny to watch Sam's reactions to the numbers being called out because he can see the dice and knows its bullshit,

I think Sam and Marisha are enlisted as his "dice checkers" as he gets worse and people in the chat are noticing it and calling it out

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Pattonesque posted:

that sounds legit funny

also his absence leaves ... not a narrative hole but for a group that leans into D&D tropes so hard it's weird not to have a pure spellcaster

Purity is overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

It’s a bit of a weirdly balanced party in general— 7 members is pretty goddamn big for D&D, and Grog’s pretty much expected to tank for all of them.

Pike’s a War domain cleric iirc though so she’s pretty beefy (although she has to heal too and Ashley was gone a lot due to various acting gigs) and Keyleth can turn into a bear or mammoth or w/e as needed. And I guess there’s Trinket too

A good DM like Matt can make odd stuff like that work, but if I were in the party I think I’d be tempted to swap over to a fighter or paladin or something