Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

hobbesmaster posted:

For when you didn’t want your tbred drawing a completely ludicrous 70W.

at least OCing those chips by ~50% was actually free

not "leaving muh free performance behind" by cranking 300W+ on CPUs with nearly zero headroom on a ludicriously overpriced mobo, a 2000W PSU and 12 case fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Anyone considering a budget AM5 build should maybe check motherboard reviews first.

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1619501281231650817

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Drakhoran posted:

Anyone considering a budget AM5 build should maybe check motherboard reviews first.

when your non x3d 7xxx wasn't unwanted enough

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Somehow gigabyte's $160 dollar board is shittier than when the previous versions cost $75

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

mdxi posted:

Yeah I got it. I meant "If it were productized..."

Which I didn't explicitly say, but the video ended with a call for Asrock to make it a real thing, and I was going from there as a premise.

I was looking at the Sonnet McFiver recently and am still considering it. It's a "Multifunction Adapter Card with Dual M.2 NVMe SSD Slots, 10Gb Ethernet, and Two 10Gbps USB-C Ports". I really just needed some fast usb ports but I was also planning on getting a 10GbE card. Apparently the ethernet controller they use is only in a handful of other things yet so I didn't immediately buy it. Gonna wait and see if theres a sale or anyone else finds problems.

(I assumed the extra nvme slots were what you were after)

E: fixed the broken link, sorry

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 30, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Inept posted:

Somehow gigabyte's $160 dollar board is shittier than when the previous versions cost $75

its like the manufacturers don't even want to make AM5 boards

i be surprised if all the AM5 mobos produced so far even outnumber a single B450M mortar

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Drakhoran posted:

I will say I have the Gigabyte board he mentions and haven't had any issues except it's a bit slow to boot. But then I'm using 5600 memory. Also its NVMe heatsink is ungodly awful, the stickiest thermal pads I've ever seen which made it a nightmare to line up properly to screw into place. I think a solid 20 minutes of the build was just trying to get that cover on while constantly realigning the SSD.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Many of the cheaper B650 boards, including the DS3H, use 6-layer PCBs, and signal integrity when going above 5600 seems to be a pretty big issue as a result. As always, quality will be variable between different samples of the same model, but you probably shouldn't use the cheapest B650 motherboard on the market if you want to build a high-performance system. Then again, the cheapest B650 motherboard on the market costing $160 is a crime in of itself. You really should expect better for that price.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Guess I will adjust my upcoming build a bit and bump it from B650 to the ROG STRIX X670E-E Gaming Wifi for now since I'm aiming for 6000 memory. Although it's probably fine since it's not in the cheapest range?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vadoc posted:

Guess I will adjust my upcoming build a bit and bump it from B650 to the ROG STRIX X670E-E Gaming Wifi for now since I'm aiming for 6000 memory. Although it's probably fine since it's not in the cheapest range?

This isn't a problem with B650, this is a problem with cheap motherboard design. You can absolutely run DDR5-6000 on any decently made B650 board. Look for boards with 8-layer PCBs to be sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't remember but tbred was the super-orb generation, right? goddamn was that thing loud lmao

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My brother is getting a few second long USB interruptions, both wired and wireless. That's probably the AMD USB thing right? I'll do a BIOS check at the next opportunity.

2600X, MSI B450

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This isn't a problem with B650, this is a problem with cheap motherboard design. You can absolutely run DDR5-6000 on any decently made B650 board. Look for boards with 8-layer PCBs to be sure.

Okay good, thanks.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Truga posted:

i don't remember but tbred was the super-orb generation, right? goddamn was that thing loud lmao

iirc that was strictly designed for pentium 3 and may risk breaking dies when used on S462

also some batches of the retail boxed tbred had the really good and quiet microfinned cooler

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Rinkles posted:

My brother is getting a few second long USB interruptions, both wired and wireless. That's probably the AMD USB thing right? I'll do a BIOS check at the next opportunity.

2600X, MSI B450
across all usb? could be the port itself if it's for a single device, that's happened to me

you could also download usbreview to see if any devices are acting weird

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

B650 does seem to be suffering from trying to be a budget offering for a platform offering two new technologies (DDR5 & pcie5) that have requirements that aren't budget friendly. And to be frank, AMD still don't seem to be quite so good as Intel at nailing memory controllers from generation 1, which likely exacerbates the challengers of making dd5 motherboard cheaply by having less margin when designing the motherboard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

B650 does seem to be suffering from trying to be a budget offering for a platform offering two new technologies (DDR5 & pcie5) that have requirements that aren't budget friendly. And to be frank, AMD still don't seem to be quite so good as Intel at nailing memory controllers from generation 1, which likely exacerbates the challengers of making dd5 motherboard cheaply by having less margin when designing the motherboard.

The cheapest B650 motherboards don't even support PCIe 5. That DS3H has a single x16 PCIe 4.0 slot for the GPU, a single x1 PCIe 3.0 slot, two PCIe 4.0 m.2 slots, and only three USB-A ports on the rear that are faster than USB 2.0. So PCIe 5 at least can't be used as an excuse here. The budget AM5 boards are just hideously overpriced for the features they support.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Insurrectionist posted:

Alright, cool. I've been watching it intermittently and it's never dropped below 3.6GHz so if it's supposed to drop when idle then IDK why it isn't. I just used the default overclocking profile in the BIOS and didn't think beyond that but I dunno if plan settings can change that. The load has never spiked beyond 25% that I've seen, or past like...8% or something for any longer period.

Well I don't really notice it so if it doesn't matter I'll just leave it. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't gonna cause any issues.

afaik you basically can't use anything but Ryzen master to tell you the actual clocks. It will be running slower than you imagine at idle, and will be stopping cores. Most programs just won't show you that

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

2600X, MSI B450

A few seconds is way longer than the normal Ryzen USB bug, which was normally a disconnect and immediate reconnect. But I guess it depends what type of device he's using -- some devices takes a second to re-initialize.

Doing a BIOS update couldn't hurt, but I'd look at the other options too. (stuff like look at cables to see if they've been chewed by the dog or rolled over by chair wheels too much)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If the USB thing is happening just get a pcie usb card and it will fix it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I was looking at the Sonnet McFiver recently and am still considering it. It's a "Multifunction Adapter Card with Dual M.2 NVMe SSD Slots, 10Gb Ethernet, and Two 10Gbps USB-C Ports". I really just needed some fast usb ports but I was also planning on getting a 10GbE card. Apparently the ethernet controller they use is only in a handful of other things yet so I didn't immediately buy it. Gonna wait and see if theres a sale or anyone else finds problems.

(I assumed the extra nvme slots were what you were after)

Whoa neat, is this basically a PCIe switch that they strapped some peripherals too? Seems like a godsend for slot / lane limited mobos.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

movax posted:

Whoa neat, is this basically a PCIe switch that they strapped some peripherals too? Seems like a godsend for slot / lane limited mobos.

AFAICT everything presents as its own device. It's AVB certified so I'm assuming that means even if some resources were shared, it's done well enough that it doesn't impact the sync requirements of broadcast production. I'd imagine most buying it are mac users tossing it in the extra slot in their eGPU enclosure.

There's an ISP here offering 6/6gbps but you can only get 5.5gbps of it over ethernet if you're willing to aggregate 2.5+1+1+1 lol, as soon as they offer something with 10GbE I'm going to switch.

btw it will run the nvme drives in raid 0/1, so it seems like a neat way to get a little extra use out of older drives in instances where you already don't care about integrity (games)

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 30, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The cheapest B650 motherboards don't even support PCIe 5. That DS3H has a single x16 PCIe 4.0 slot for the GPU, a single x1 PCIe 3.0 slot, two PCIe 4.0 m.2 slots, and only three USB-A ports on the rear that are faster than USB 2.0. So PCIe 5 at least can't be used as an excuse here. The budget AM5 boards are just hideously overpriced for the features they support.

it does have DDR5 and Intel DDR5 boards don't get too much cheaper than that. Also AMD mandated smart power stages, which make up a bit more of the difference.

still though intel obviously is keeping the DDR4 platform around for a reason at the moment, and it'd be great if AMD could do the same and put Zen4 on AM4 with a new IO die if needed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Drakhoran posted:

This is a lot like what I'm getting when using newer bios. Straight up the computer wont boot if use bios with agesa 1.0.0.4. 1.0.0.3 works but eventually becomes unstable and I have to swap settings on the ram of the bios to trigger a retraining for it to become stable again (the lovely bios does not give me the option to train the ram every boot). Swapping to the older 1.0.0.1 bios solves the issue but has slow start ups because its not trying to retain memory configs. I'll take slower boots if it makes the system stable with my ram.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
X3D availability announced, for realsies this time. Probably. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLxH9ivPWUI&t=1s

February 28th for 7950x3d and 7900x3d. 7800x3d in April. 699/599/449 USD, respectively.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gyrotica posted:

February 28th for 7950x3d and 7900x3d. 7800x3d in April. 699/599/449 USD, respectively.

Has there been an official price cut on the 7950X non 3d? Its MSRP is still $699 also, right?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Has there been an official price cut on the 7950X non 3d? Its MSRP is still $699 also, right?

Nothing official that I've seen, but that could change in the next couple weeks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gyrotica posted:

I’m going to view this as confirmation that the 7800x3d’s gaming performance makes the other two look pointless.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Man April is annoying, I was wanting to pick one up for the build I'm working on now. Guess I'm waiting a little longer.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m going to view this as confirmation that the 7800x3d’s gaming performance makes the other two look pointless.
Yeah, this is annoying because review embargos will likely still be in place until April on the 8c.

If the 7800x3d has even the slightest edge in games then this is a really deceptive business practice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
can't you just tell steam to only launch games on vcache'd cores?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I'm actually really annoyed, I haven't bought anything but I've got the list ready and literally just waiting for this to come out otherwise just getting the 7700x or going to Intel.
I don't think I have the patience to wait another 2 months after waiting since like September or October only to find out waiting just gets me hosed.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
April seems like a huge gap to release that 7800x3d

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

So, I'm in a weird spot - a lot of my gaming time has to do with compiling/playing huge mod lists with games. I also dick around with some other stuff on occasion that sees benefit from lots of parallel threads on the same machine where I game. I have Processlasso, and can probably use that to keep games that benefit from the 3d cache in the right sandbox (assuming that they aren't whitelisted properly in the first place).

While neither use case is something I think is incredibly widespread, it probably exists at some level, though certainly not enough to make releasing all the new x3d chips at once just as profitable as pushing the lowest-margin one back by a month.

What I'm mostly perplexed by is the existence of the 7900x3d.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

infraboy posted:

April seems like a huge gap to release that 7800x3d

And watch it also be at the very end of April.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've waited since the i7-2600 came out, I can wait a little longer for a 7800X3D.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truga posted:

can't you just tell steam to only launch games on vcache'd cores?

Since it’s a public release AMD won’t be able to tell reviewers to not turn off the entire normal CCD.

edit: wait I forgot, it’s true that disabling a CCD on a normal 7950X improves gaming performance! https://www.techpowerup.com/299959/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-posts-significantly-higher-gaming-performance-with-a-ccd-disabled?amp

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've waited since the i7-2600 came out, I can wait a little longer for a 7800X3D.

Yeah that's the way I look at it...rocking a 6700k what's a few more days. :shrug:

I might go down to the microcenter and buy an am5 CPU off the shelf just to test the other components so if I have to rma anything, then return it.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 1, 2023

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Been waiting since November to replace my 3700x with sketchy RAM, what’s a few more months :choco:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Since it’s a public release AMD won’t be able to tell reviewers to not turn off the entire normal CCD.

edit: wait I forgot, it’s true that disabling a CCD on a normal 7950X improves gaming performance! https://www.techpowerup.com/299959/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-posts-significantly-higher-gaming-performance-with-a-ccd-disabled?amp

Lmao so you gotta figure people are going to buy the 7950x3d and just disable half the cores on it. That's probably what I'd end up doing if you at least get to keep the higher clocks.