Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Other potentially good early monk candidates are Chloe and Anna. Both of them have decent to strong magic stats and enough speed/dex that martial master whiffing on those doesn't leave them out in the cold.

The problem is you need the Tiki DLC to make most people monks early on because none of the early base game emblem options give arts proficiency.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's actually fun to abuse the AIs tendency to go for lethal. On Chapter 7 Hortensia instead of magic nuking Louis went for Alfred who she could 2 round with the rapier but her HP was low enough that his counter attack removed her first life bar.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanos posted:

Other potentially good early monk candidates are Chloe and Anna. Both of them have decent to strong magic stats and enough speed/dex that martial master whiffing on those doesn't leave them out in the cold.

The problem is you need the Tiki DLC to make most people monks early on because none of the early base game emblem options give arts proficiency.

Oh, that's unfortunate. I don't have the Tiki DLC because I don't give a poo poo about Tiki. I thought monk would be based on staff proficiency, not that brawling was still a separate proficiency of its own.

Anna as a monk candidate does greatly amuse me, however, so I'll keep that one in mind.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Which advanced class has the highest luck cap? Cause that's the only thing that matters for Anna.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Oh, that's unfortunate. I don't have the Tiki DLC because I don't give a poo poo about Tiki. I thought monk would be based on staff proficiency, not that brawling was still a separate proficiency of its own.

Anna as a monk candidate does greatly amuse me, however, so I'll keep that one in mind.

Yeah, arts proficiency is its own weapon type.

Without the DLC, your earliest access to an emblem who can teach you fist weapons is chapter 14. Until then, if you specifically want a monk for chain guard, you're living in Framme/Jean town.

FrickenMoron posted:

Which advanced class has the highest luck cap? Cause that's the only thing that matters for Anna.

Cap? Highest possible is high priest at 38. Swordmaster has 37, Griffin Knight has 35, and Wolf Knight has 34.

Growth? High Priest by far at 30. Wolf Knight has 20.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FrickenMoron posted:

High Priest

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
That's a shame cause high priests are lame. But if you want Anna to be a money machine you need all that luck possible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

High Priest is honestly pretty good. It has very similar caps and growths to sage, a much more useful(if still niche) passive, the outfit is way less stupid/terrible, and you have the niche ability to punch people for weapon triangle purposes. The only thing you really lose is S rank tome access, and it's annoying to get into because of the aforementioned "have the Tiki DLC to learn qi arts or gently caress yourself until chapter 14".

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

FrickenMoron posted:

It's actually fun to abuse the AIs tendency to go for lethal. On Chapter 7 Hortensia instead of magic nuking Louis went for Alfred who she could 2 round with the rapier but her HP was low enough that his counter attack removed her first life bar.

Part of what makes Lyn's Doubles so OP, the AI just beelines for them instead of other more important targets that would get killed if 2-3 enemy units ganged on them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Chloe really came through as my monk, but I made her a griffin first. However she refused to gain bld, and I noticed I was just using her to heal people because she was dropping off hard without being able to upgrade to steel and I had to be careful since fliers and she had an annoying habit of always getting hit on 30%s. Once I swapped her to mnk she just became amazing, and it helps the griffin has the same kind of growths, though probably better than mnk so she was ready for the swap. And I got to drop Framme.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Father Claud will be a punchpriest in his actionized redesign for the fe4 remake

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Chapter 24 spoilers running around grabbing a bunch of animals and throwing em in my bag right before i jump 1000 years in to the future. Hope you're ready for a ride, bunny rabbit.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ROFL Octopus posted:

Father Claud will be a punchpriest in his actionized redesign for the fe4 remake

I want a punch version of Moulder, personally.

Really sad I won't have much opportunity to explore classes outside of people's starting niche. The one mechanical advantage 3H had/has over this game was it was incredibly easy to spec someone into whatever class you want, which is the story of how warmaster Ignatz killed everyone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Huh? It's super easy to switch people around in engage because all you need is an emblem to teach you the proficiency required for the class and a second seal to put them in it. You get access to emblems that can teach every weapon proficiency except qi arts very, very early.

Hell, Anna is almost definitely designed to be moved out of her starting niche.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Doing Tiki Paralogue on Maddening directly after you get Alcryst is still a huge challenge. Someone will take damage and the reinforcements keep happening for like 10 waves.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Veryslightlymad posted:

I want a punch version of Moulder, personally.

Really sad I won't have much opportunity to explore classes outside of people's starting niche. The one mechanical advantage 3H had/has over this game was it was incredibly easy to spec someone into whatever class you want, which is the story of how warmaster Ignatz killed everyone.

??

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Kanos posted:

Huh? It's super easy to switch people around in engage because all you need is an emblem to teach you the proficiency required for the class and a second seal to put them in it. You get access to emblems that can teach every weapon proficiency except qi arts very, very early.

Hell, Anna is almost definitely designed to be moved out of her starting niche.

You gotta get them the skills trained up, but after that, you have to use at least one, but much more often one of each type of seal on them and the game has given me six master seals and even fewer second seals so far, which feels like too few even if I were benching units. Maybe it opens up quite a bit more in the back two thirds.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

You gotta get them the skills trained up, but after that, you have to use at least one, but much more often one of each type of seal on them and the game has given me six master seals and even fewer second seals so far, which feels like too few even if I were benching units. Maybe it opens up quite a bit more in the back two thirds.

You were going to promote them anyway and promotion is basically class agnostic, so the master seal doesn't really count in the equation.

You'll have around a dozen second seals available in the store by like, stage 13 or 14, which is about the 1/3rd mark of the game(assuming you're planning to do the paralogues). Since there's no reason at all to have people repeatedly jump between classes in this one because skills don't inherit, you generally will only ever need one second seal per character you intend to change roles on(unless you later decide that they're not working in the role you put them in).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

You get 3 Second Seals in the item shop starting after Chapter 8 and an additional 3 every time the shop updates (every 2-3 maps) until they eventually become infinite. It would be nice if you could get one earlier than that, but after Chapter 8 you will have access to plenty of Second Seals.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I feel like I'm missing something with (ch16 enemy) corrupted wyrms. The only thing that does even a slight amount of damage to them is twin strike and panette critting with an axe. There's no way I need that specific engage for each of these things. What am I missing? Chain attacks?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Tender Bender posted:

It seems kind of poorly thought through - like at a minimum the 50% SP gain should be baseline instead of needing a bond ring, because the only reason you wouldn't throw cheap bond rings on everyone as soon as you get access to the ring room is if you genuinely don't understand the mechanic. It just penalizes people who don't realize that.

well drat, that's me.
been sleeping on bond rings.
what are some ones I should try to aim for?
i gave the thudner one to ivy

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Miftan posted:

I feel like I'm missing something with (ch16 enemy) corrupted wyrms. The only thing that does even a slight amount of damage to them is twin strike and panette critting with an axe. There's no way I need that specific engage for each of these things. What am I missing? Chain attacks?

They're just normal enemies with high stats. Chain attacks work, the occasional effective weapon works, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Miftan posted:

chain attacks and effective weaponry. heavy weapons also usually have enough raw stats to smack them for some damage, like greataxes and stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Endgame roster spoilers, but Lapis/Yunaka were MVP but also I probably am the reason why yours are all poo poo.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The effective weapons I have do like 1 damage. The great weapons do about 5, I think.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Tikis paralogue is a nightmare on maddening because you can't camp at the bottom entrance to wait out the reinforcements, eventually the units up top decide hey it's playtime and come down and mess up your entire plan.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Miftan posted:

I feel like I'm missing something with (ch16 enemy) ||corrupted wyrms. The only thing that does even a slight amount of damage to them is twin strike and panette critting with an axe. There's no way I need that specific engage for each of these things. What am I missing? Chain attacks?||

Draconic Hex from Corrin to debuff their stats, poison, Byleth Instruct to buff your characters' stats, Chain Attack spam, dragon effective weapons(several engage weapons qualify and you also have a wyrmslayer by that stage), crit heavy builds.

Those enemies are the most dangerous obstacles on that entire stage and are way more dangerous than the actual bosses, so you should be dumping tons of resources into killing them - it's not incorrect to dump 3-4 engage supers into one of them because they need to be removed ASAP and if they hit you while unengaged it drains your entire engage bar anyway.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Just cleared chapter 19. (recruitable spoiler) I love the "badass old lady" archetype and it's a drat shame Saphir doesn't join earlier.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

CharlestonJew posted:

crazy thing is that's not even all of the wake up dialogue. They all have variations if you press a button to wake up early, again fully voiced.

it's insane all the crap they put effort in vs what they cheaped out on
i actually tested this and pressing the A button early just jumps to the end of the dialogue. It's possible that it's just not available in the Reminisce menu, but I doubt it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Getting the required weapon proficiency for class prereqs is completely trivial. All you have to do is spend a few bond fragments in the Arena to have someone spar with whatever Emblem gives them the proficiency they need and you're set.

As for seals, they're expensive at first but within a few chapters you'll have all you need and then some. You don't get much opportunity to reclass early on but after chapter 10 or so you have pretty much total freedom to do whatever you feel like. It's even easier if you wait until after promotion, because once someone's promoted, they can Second Seal to any class they have the proficiency for.

It's even easier to make someone a class outside their normal niche in Engage than in 3H. There's no classroom training to do or weapon ranks to increase or exams to pass, you just spend a few bond fragments for the proficiency, use a Second Seal, and you're done.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There's a review of Engage on Kotaku that really says what I wanted to say about it.

Also, I feel like I missed out somewhat on upgrading weapons. While I DID do it I didn't do it loads because money is so hard to come by unless you do loads of skirmishes and it cost so much! I had a few +3s and that was it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RoboCicero posted:

Just cleared chapter 19. (recruitable spoiler) I love the "badass old lady" archetype and it's a drat shame Saphir doesn't join earlier.

She's 35

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

She's 35

I don't think the internal number which is never referenced in text and is completely at odds with what she says in her supports is her real age

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I’m trying to be optimal and get a huge Great Sacrifice to help train up my Jean and so I have my Alfred, probably my strongest unit, attack and soften up the boss.

Alfred proceeds to CRIT THE BOSS AND END THE ENCOUNTER, MEANING I LOST A HUGE AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE.

Goddammit Alfred.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
fwiw, I don't think great sacrifice gives any more xp than just healing each unit manully, it just does it a lot faster (and bumps into the 100 xp cap)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the only thing I actually miss from 3H is the ability to rotate the map a full 360 degrees.

Doing the Byleth paralogue felt weird because every time I did that map in 3H I always turned it around so the boss was at the top, and I couldn't do that this time :argh:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's good to know that seals start getting a bit more prevalent. One of my bigger worries juggling these... Uh, twentyish people so far is that they'll all be screwed up on experience, or that I would have to bench half my army from a pointless artificial bottleneck.

Tae posted:

Endgame roster spoilers, but Lapis/Yunaka were MVP but also I probably am the reason why yours are all poo poo.

Lapis rocking some N64 rear end armor, there. Maybe I don't want to reclass too many people.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's good to know that seals start getting a bit more prevalent. One of my bigger worries juggling these... Uh, twentyish people so far is that they'll all be screwed up on experience, or that I would have to bench half my army from a pointless artificial bottleneck.

You suddenly go from REALLY NEEDING Master Seals to absolutely not needing them at all
It's a strange thing

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

...Because you run out of people who need to promote, and master seals are the item used to promote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Let's be fair, you also need them to promote any of the primary royals you're not using (Alfred), so that they have slightly fancier outfits in the cutscenes. That's an important purpose.