Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Taear posted:

God I hope so, that'd be ideal!

No it wouldn't. Why would it? You personally liking one game in the franchise for being different does not mean the entire franchise should cease to be as it was, particularly when it was then followed by the most successful game other than it that is actually related to the rest of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Terper posted:

The next game will have *rolls dice* biorhythm
I've played PoR and RD collectively 15 times and I still refuse to learn how biorhythm works or what it does.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Endorph posted:

theyre basically different classes. all the royals have unique classes, and alfred and celine promote into different classes with different names. its just their pre-promote classes share names, they arent really like, actually related ot each other in any way mechanically.

hopeandjoy posted:

They’re different classes under the hood. All the royals have a class named “Noble” with completely different growths and abilities that then promote to unique classes.

Ah gotcha, thanks!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dual assist+ from Lucina the description says "if unit is able to chain attack" ...do I need to put this on backup units, does it increase their range to join in chains? Or can I put it on anyone and they'll chain?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Avalerion posted:

Dual assist+ from Lucina the description says "if unit is able to chain attack" ...do I need to put this on backup units, does it increase their range to join in chains? Or can I put it on anyone and they'll chain?

For inheritance, yes. For Lucina, no. She has her own source of allowing non-backups to chain attack.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Supremezero posted:

No it wouldn't. Why would it? You personally liking one game in the franchise for being different does not mean the entire franchise should cease to be as it was, particularly when it was then followed by the most successful game other than it that is actually related to the rest of the franchise.

It really is the SMT/Persona split with these people, as was previously pointed out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Avalerion posted:

it refers to backup units, the 'if unit is able to chain attack' is there because lucina's ring itself gives you the ability to chain attack even if you arent a backup unit, basically.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Avalerion posted:

You nailed it. It increases the range units make chain attacks at but doesn't enable chains when not in a backup class. The lucina ring itself does enable chains when not in a backup class though, so this only matters for inheritance

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also I hope most people are at this point, but it is insane for a game that was finished a year ago, authorized that arena training the emblems and actually inheriting/buying skills are in two different loading screens. And like no one brought this up.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

Also I hope most people are at this point, but it is insane for a game that was finished a year ago, authorized that arena training the emblems and actually inheriting/buying skills are in two different loading screens. And like no one brought this up.

I know there's evidence for this to be the case, but if it turns out that it wasn't and they sprinted to roll it out the door it'd make a lot of things interesting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

The next game will have *rolls dice* biorhythm

Lets gooooo

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
The entire Emblem Arena concept feels like they came up with it as a last minute way to enable reclassing more easily because the cost is absurdly cheap and the actual battle seems entirely pointless?

I’m glad it’s there but it’s so awkwardly implemented.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Notty posted:

The entire Emblem Arena concept feels like they came up with it as a last minute way to enable reclassing more easily because the cost is absurdly cheap and the actual battle seems entirely pointless?

To be fair if the battle itself weren't entirely pointless you'd have a lot of trouble leveling up the huge fuckers like Sigurd.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Notty posted:

It is very funny when you have a comical mismatch like when Jean got bisected by Corrin.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
I mean the emblem fights are basically toothless around the time people start promoting.

It would actually make MORE sense to me if losing meant you didn’t get Bond because then it would follow in the typical FE style of ‘the early game is the hardest’.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Judge Tesla posted:

It is very funny when you have a comical mismatch like when Jean got bisected by Corrin.

"Uh, should I really be here?"

*Ike gives Jean a Tombstone Piledriver*

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Funky Valentine posted:

I've played PoR and RD collectively 15 times and I still refuse to learn how biorhythm works or what it does.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I understand why the Arena requires a loading screen, as they had to put it in the framerate dimension for performance reasons, but the Ring Chamber has no business being trapped behind a loading screen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the aesthetic of the ring chamber is cool but it really should have been something you could access from the menu

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tae posted:

Seriously that's the worst part of the game
And that you have to fight them and can't skip that fight? Why, seriously why

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Taear posted:

Seriously that's the worst part of the game
And that you have to fight them and can't skip that fight? Why, seriously why

Hint: press +.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I, for one enjoy watching my emblems kick my rear end. (Except Micaiah. Anna handled her without much effort.)

Funniest was when I made Alear challenge Edelgard because she's the easiest one, but I forgot "oh yeah, Alear is a dragon and she really hates those", and got squashed for 75 damage.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 1, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
In all seriousness though, what does biorhythm actually do? Is its effect meaningful? I've never been able to figure it out when playing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mycatscrimes posted:

In all seriousness though, what does biorhythm actually do? Is its effect meaningful? I've never been able to figure it out when playing.

It gives you bonuses or reductions you accuracy and evasion which change from turn to turn. It's not meaningful

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

mycatscrimes posted:

It gives you +/- hit and avoid (and I think skill activation?) depending on if it is good or bad. It's mostly ignorable, but the times where your Worst coincides with an enemy's Best really suck because it is like a 20 hit/avoid swing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

also coming back? map affinities

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tactician affinity.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Thanks for explaining!
I think they should bring back the biorhythm graph for characters but not have it do anything, and see how long it takes players to figure that out.

Also bring back forced dismounting indoors. >3

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Datamining means the answer will probably be 'before the game is even out' but I appreciate the energy you are bringing here.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

mycatscrimes posted:

In 9, it affects your hit and avoid, giving either +5 to each, -5 to each, or nothing depending on where it is on the curve. If you have the Tempest or Serenity skills, the bonuses are doubled/halved respectively.

In 10, it still affects hit and avoid, but now has 5 stages, the neutral, the + and -5 (which now also give +10/-10% chance of finding hidden items) and even more extreme states that give +/- 10 hit and avoid, 20% chance of finding hidden items, and 10% skill activation rates. Also, instead of everyone using the same curve there are 10 different curves that change how rapidly they cycle through the stages and whether they can even reach the most extreme ones.

So it's mostly pretty meaningless in 9 outside of like, earlygame Boyd maybe, and while it can be a bit more significant in 10, you still can't really manipulate it outside of putting a heron on biorhythm duty instead of handing out extra turns, so it's just kinda a random bonus/penalty you get sometimes and is pretty safe to just ignore.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The next fire emblem will give everyone a zodiac sign and they'll get +5 accuracy if you're playing during the appropriate month

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

For real why is the affinity for 3-E Water and not Dark? what the hell, radiant dawn...!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

hopeandjoy posted:

Hint: press +.

It doesn't work until they've finished speaking, don't you think I tried that since it also skips enemy turns and everything else?!

The best part of it is when your character says a big long thing then marth goes "I'm marth!! :)"

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

cheetah7071 posted:

The next fire emblem will give everyone a zodiac sign and they'll get +5 accuracy if you're playing during the appropriate month

Everyone will have a zodiac sign and IS will copy the whole compatibility system over from FFT and only briefly summarize scraps of it in a tutorial window no one reads.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Support Affinities should absolutely make a come back

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly engage basically has them they just arent indicated to the player

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

For real why is the affinity for 3-E Water and not Dark? what the hell, radiant dawn...!

Its snowing.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

There's an ice affinity tho

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But theres no snow affinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Cleared Tiki Paralogue after finishing Ch8 on Maddening. Only took... roughly 2 hours.

Party was Alear/Etie/Alcryst/Alfred/Chloe/Framme/Citrinne. I used tonics to boost all my stats to +2 that matter and some hp boosters as well. Nobody was able to one shot any of the dragons though.