Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xiahou Dun posted:

PS whoever posted that rabies thing, gently caress you I’ve had a headache and I’ve been chugging water since.

Maybe it’s prions.

Most cases are spontaneous, arising within a person’s own body, not acquired from a mad cow or anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

abelwingnut posted:

so, not being a huge gamer, i'm curious: what other games could you see translating to tv that are this well acted, this atmospheric, this tense. etc? and obviously it doesn't have to be a horror/adventure game. i'm just trying to think of what games might get this treatment and turn into a sprawling drama.

I could see Disco getting a TV adaptation (and apparently Amazon was trying to make one before poo poo went all to hell at ZA/UM) and it being good, but I feel like no matter what you did it would be lesser than the game, even if they let the original creative team play any role in it, which I doubt anyone would be willing to do even outside the current circumstances.

I could totally see a Life Is Strange original series that keeps the game concept but tells an original story, but that's not really the same thing. Those are all basically "young adults character-focused drama with super powers" and are nearly a tv show already.

It'll never happen, of course, but they should let the Cruelty Squad guy do a Cruelty Squad show.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
who is taking care of Bill's chickens and livestock!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I could totally see a Life Is Strange original series that keeps the game concept but tells an original story, but that's not really the same thing. Those are all basically "young adults character-focused drama with super powers" and are nearly a tv show already.

Amazon's bought the rights and it's in development, though no news since January last year.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Amazon's bought the rights and it's in development, though no news since January last year.

They bought them from someone who might have stolen them, which is probably gonna cause a bit of hesitancy to push forward until after the court cases resolve.

But who knows, they might just do it and take the risk, but I can't see it being good with no one on the creative team being allowed to work with them, which is i think where things stand right now? Who the hell knows though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Life is Strange I don't think it would be a huge task to make too compared to most video game adaptations. It's mostly the reverse time effect that's keeping it from being a regular show.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Walking Dead game could've make an ok show but that brand is forever tainted - and the setup is way too similar to TLOU which got in there first.

stev fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 2, 2023

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

it seems safe to say the show has been a success thus far. ratings keep going up, most critics rave about it, hbo renewed it, etc. and whenever something new and 'fresh' like this comes out, there are copycats.

so, not being a huge gamer, i'm curious: what other games could you see translating to tv that are this well acted, this atmospheric, this tense. etc? and obviously it doesn't have to be a horror/adventure game. i'm just trying to think of what games might get this treatment and turn into a sprawling drama.

i think there are some types of games that obviously wouldn't. anything that lacks a story/is all about the gameplay wouldn't work. think mario kart, mario party, etc.

then you have games with significant story but lots of configuring and what not that...might be very difficult to make work. like, a final fantasy 7 show. so much of the game is fighting and working with materia and what not. but there's enough story and side plots to make something work?

visual novel games are almost always anime and i don't know if any have the potential to be so accessible to a western audience? have we reached that point?

horror really does seem like the best fit for tv. just imagining a silent hill show...man, that could rule.

Bioshock, although they would have to invent a personality for the protagonist and do something to de-goofify the Plasmids.

Cyberpunk, although I would just be thrilled if they continued to make more Edgerunners anime.

Assassin’s Creed, although I think it’s already in development Hell.

Dark horse pick: Control. Hard to make a full series tho.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

who is taking care of Bill's chickens and livestock!

The coyotes.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

navyjack posted:

Dark horse pick: Control. Hard to make a full series tho.

We already had a Control TV show, it was called Warehouse 13.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Apparently Netflix is already signed on to do a Horizon series. The showrunner is Steve Blackman, who's also the showrunner for The Umbrella Academy (which I've never seen). I have no idea how this will go.

Season 1 of Umbrella Academy is pretty great. It's been on a pretty steep decline since then.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Small White Dragon posted:

Just had a thought.

If this spread throughout the world from tainted flour, does this mean that some hermit kingdoms (e.g., North Korea) were likely unaffected?

Or they end up like they did in World War Z.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Rental Sting posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn/Forbidden West has enough lore, fascinating elements, and at least a couple of interesting characters to make a quality series. It would have to cost like 30 million an episode. I'd also like to see what the hell a Death Stranding series would look like.

I think just the whole Faro Plague backstory to Horizon would make a great sci-fi series.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Platystemon posted:

Maybe it’s prions.

Maybe it’s Maybelline.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Stoatbringer posted:

I think just the whole Faro Plague backstory to Horizon would make a great sci-fi series.

It's about the only one other than maybe Life Is Strange I'd be interested in but drat, it'd be the grimmest poo poo since Threads.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Just had a thought.

If this spread throughout the world from tainted flour, does this mean that some hermit kingdoms (e.g., North Korea) were likely unaffected?

North Korea, and some island nations and central African nations, could have been unaffected by the initial outbreak. But any country that survives that would probably be filled with refugees from other countries soon, some of whom would be infected. Nauru or Tonga might get invaded by U.S. Navy vessels looking for a safe harbour, and most island countries would starve without food imports.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Boris Galerkin posted:

Where do I sign up? I have a credit card that hasn’t racked up debt yet.

Probably on their website, they just need a few more thou to complete it

Also the guy running it has already made a video game adaptation I really can't think of anyone better or a better game to do it for

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Just had a thought.

Even NK gets a lot of food via China… but they and most of east Asia don’t really use much flour in their recipes. I’m trying to think of the last thing I ate with it. Probably a western desert at a coffee shop.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

withak posted:

Or they end up like they did in World War Z.

One of the more chilling vignettes in World War Z, all told. The entire country goes down into Pyongyang's subway/bomb shelter system and then just... disappears. And none of the post-war regional or international powers even want to bother sending anyone in to try and find out what happened because there's probably, at best, about 23 million corpses sealed up down there, and at worst about 23 million zombies. So everyone is like "gently caress 'em."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bugblatter posted:

Even NK gets a lot of food via China… but they and most of east Asia don’t really use much flour in their recipes. I’m trying to think of the last thing I ate with it. Probably a western desert at a coffee shop.

Noodles? Dumplings? Bing?

God drat panko?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xiahou Dun posted:

One, lay off with this strawman idea that I'm saying Bill is secretly doing a giant saintly pledge drive.
That's not what I'm saying at all. The point isn't whether Bill is a good or bad person, we're talking about the message of the show, which is that Bill and Frank are doing so much better than everyone else because of their isolation. If they did try to help others rather than just looking out for themselves, they would suffer (like everyone else we've seen in this world).

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I can see how someone could absolutely hate the third episode based on your interpretation of it though
I didn't. I thought it was too long and spent too much time away from the main characters, but my overall impression of it was generally positive.

Volte posted:

If Bill helped every random person that came by indiscriminately he would eventually be taken advantage of and killed
That is certainly what the show is saying, yes. That's my point.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also wait. Are we just assuming that there’s no trade besides what Joel has in his knapsack.
It seems like there's trade between the governments of the quarantine zones, plus some kind of network of smugglers (who, under normal circumstances, have access to vehicles for transporting things).

Alhazred posted:

A society that cares about it's people, even the ones that break the law, does not execute them.
"Cares about" and "cares for" mean different things. Executing someone reveals that you care about them enough to want to make sure they don't exist any more.

XboxPants posted:

I'm not sure if I'm agreeing or disagreeing with you, but let me throw this out there: the only reason anything bad happened to Bill was because he didn't care about enough people.
This reading is not contradicted by the text, but I don't think it's fully supported either. To go one way or the other I think we'd have to see an example of some group of people who are doing well because of community. So far the only community we've seen or heard of has been terrible and the only people doing well were living in their own private fortress. The fact that that made them vulnerable in other ways only suggests that neither option is ideal; we haven't seen what the authors' vision of the ideal solution would be (yet).

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

One of the more chilling vignettes in World War Z, all told. The entire country goes down into Pyongyang's subway/bomb shelter system and then just... disappears. And none of the post-war regional or international powers even want to bother sending anyone in to try and find out what happened because there's probably, at best, about 23 million corpses sealed up down there, and at worst about 23 million zombies. So everyone is like "gently caress 'em."

Here's a fairly well-known WWZ fanfic that dives more into the North Korea situation. It's actually very well done for fanfic...

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6115555/1/The-Way-Is-Shut

Hate-O-Tron
Apr 1, 2007
You know. The Sentinelese Islanders probably didn't even notice the whole world going to poo poo, unless by dumb luck some boat with some infected washed up on their shores.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Noodles? Dumplings? Bing?

God drat panko?

Oh yeah I guess mandu and some kinds of noodles. I had to look up what bing and panko are.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

abelwingnut posted:

it seems safe to say the show has been a success thus far. ratings keep going up, most critics rave about it, hbo renewed it, etc. and whenever something new and 'fresh' like this comes out, there are copycats.

i think there are some types of games that obviously wouldn't. anything that lacks a story/is all about the gameplay wouldn't work. think mario kart, mario party, etc.

then you have games with significant story but lots of configuring and what not that...might be very difficult to make work. like, a final fantasy 7 show. so much of the game is fighting and working with materia and what not. but there's enough story and side plots to make something work?

visual novel games are almost always anime and i don't know if any have the potential to be so accessible to a western audience? have we reached that point?

horror really does seem like the best fit for tv. just imagining a silent hill show...man, that could rule.

Under hbo’s new management? Probably custer’s revenge.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tiggum posted:

That is certainly what the show is saying, yes. That's my point.

Tiggum posted:

That's not what I'm saying at all. The point isn't whether Bill is a good or bad person, we're talking about the message of the show, which is that Bill and Frank are doing so much better than everyone else because of their isolation.
It's a TV show, not a PSA. The story has themes of both isolation and togetherness, and it explores those themes in the context of the damaged world they live in. It's more complex than "is helping people bad y/n". We haven't even seen how anyone else in the world lives yet outside of the QZ so if we see a thriving community of people, will you complain that the show is contradicting itself? You're extrapolating from a sample size of one.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

That DICK! posted:

i think the problem i and your wife had - and tell her i said whats up by the way - is that while running into the street may seem like a big noble think for loving bill to do, it flies in the face of the one thing we basically know about this person, that he is a prepper, a survivalist, a wacko who has identified and worked out ten thousand scenarios that all foretell doom. he was apparently driving frank crazy with his survivalist nonsense, but i figured that'd manifest in the form of like, 2 AM Homer Simpson fire drills and redundant panic rooms.

i can run with the idea he was acting on passion, it's not a real problem for me, just a small 'what the hell' thing. and while they did a good job of showing and not telling on how frank softened bill over the years and that perhaps left him unprepared for that moment, i'd have been very easily satisfied by a throwaway line from frank about how bill had failed to stick to the outline of Counterstrike Plan Delta 94-4

I loved the episode but they made a mistake not letting Bill have a Tactical Badass moment. He would have had multiple armored-up spots to shoot from, he probably would have built a suppressor, and he wouldn't be shooting from the hip in the middle of the street. We should have gotten a minute or so of him in a robe and underwear shooting from spots he obviously drilled heavily to defend from. It'd make the random bullet that nearly killed him have some extra weight too, showing that we only have so much control over things.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tumble posted:

I loved the episode but they made a mistake not letting Bill have a Tactical Badass moment. He would have had multiple armored-up spots to shoot from, he probably would have built a suppressor, and he wouldn't be shooting from the hip in the middle of the street. We should have gotten a minute or so of him in a robe and underwear shooting from spots he obviously drilled heavily to defend from. It'd make the random bullet that nearly killed him have some extra weight too, showing that we only have so much control over things.

I guarantee you that a dozen different versions of that crept in and were culled during various stages of production but I think they made the right call. I’m with you, I want to see that too, but I can’t imagine where it could go without just murdering the flow of the narrative and the tone. Melodrama and action are flavors that are hard to match at the best of times and there’s just no space in the narrative for it.

But I’ve heard vague rumors of there having been a longer cut and maybe we’ll get lucky. That’d be even better, right? We’d still get to see it because it sounds rad and it doesn’t need to fit in anywhere.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tiggum posted:

This reading is not contradicted by the text, but I don't think it's fully supported either. To go one way or the other I think we'd have to see an example of some group of people who are doing well because of community. So far the only community we've seen or heard of has been terrible and the only people doing well were living in their own private fortress. The fact that that made them vulnerable in other ways only suggests that neither option is ideal; we haven't seen what the authors' vision of the ideal solution would be (yet).

Totally agreed with this, good summary. We're only 3 episodes in yet so we don't really know where they're going. I guess the Fireflies had a more supportive sub-community than the nazi feds, but I can't really say that worked out that well for them, either.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

XboxPants posted:

Totally agreed with this, good summary. We're only 3 episodes in yet so we don't really know where they're going. I guess the Fireflies had a more supportive sub-community than the nazi feds, but I can't really say that worked out that well for them, either.

Spoilers for anyone who hasn’t played either game but we see a variety of different survivor groups and one in particular which is a large community that thrives by being open and offering help to anyone civil. They have to fend off raiders and maintain a perimeter, but they’ll welcome newcomers who are not hostile and their town is clearly depicted as a good place to live.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Volte posted:

It's a TV show, not a PSA. The story has themes of both isolation and togetherness, and it explores those themes in the context of the damaged world they live in. It's more complex than "is helping people bad y/n". We haven't even seen how anyone else in the world lives yet outside of the QZ so if we see a thriving community of people, will you complain that the show is contradicting itself? You're extrapolating from a sample size of one.

Exactly this. I keep seeing this pop up, in that this entertainment show is somehow pushing a particular message towards the audience rather than what it is doing, which is telling a specific story about these characters in a post apoc world. It's a really strange take to be like 'this show is telling us, the audience, X message that is somehow meta and specifically aimed at the audience' which, to me, is real silly. There can be an interpretation of the characters and what's going on and what kind of people they are in terms of how the showrunners see and want the audience to see the characters, sure, but this definitely doesn't feel like a 'message' kind of television program.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Justin Credible posted:

Exactly this. I keep seeing this pop up, in that this entertainment show is somehow pushing a particular message towards the audience rather than what it is doing, which is telling a specific story about these characters in a post apoc world. It's a really strange take to be like 'this show is telling us, the audience, X message that is somehow meta and specifically aimed at the audience' which, to me, is real silly. There can be an interpretation of the characters and what's going on and what kind of people they are in terms of how the showrunners see and want the audience to see the characters, sure, but this definitely doesn't feel like a 'message' kind of television program.

Message in this sense just refers to whatever ideals seem to underly the work. Every work has a meaning. It doesn't have to be intentional. Like, a work could have racist or sexist values even if the author thinks he's a totally nice guy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Message in this sense just refers to whatever ideals seem to underly the work. Every work has a meaning. It doesn't have to be intentional. Like, a work could have racist or sexist values even if the author thinks he's a totally nice guy.

Yeah but also you can’t critique something for inconsistent theming and have death of the author. At that point you just have a poo poo interpretation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah but also you can’t critique something for inconsistent theming and have death of the author. At that point you just have a poo poo interpretation.

What do you mean by "inconsistent theming"?

Because death of the author seems consistent with the idea that different aspects of a work produce different, inconsistent, meanings in the reader.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
One of the reason why TLOU TV show was so able to easily attain such a level of quality is because its much easier to shoot a show based on real places and using real props and locales and with actors portraying characters they understand. The more fantastical, the more effects heavy, so the more challenging and the more of a risk.

Disney has been trying to shave down effects costs with the Unreal Engine "Volume", but Andor went back to using lots of practical sets and locations.

HZD is so effects heavy that it's extremely difficult to pull off. You'd need Jim Cameron to pull off its extent of effects work. God of War, maybe, but it still needs alot of effects, and it has to push the lead actor to be videogame protagonist levels of violent.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

One of the reason why TLOU TV show was so able to easily attain such a level of quality is because its much easier to shoot a show based on real places and using real props and locales and with actors portraying characters they understand. The more fantastical, the more effects heavy, so the more challenging and the more of a risk.

Disney has been trying to shave down effects costs with the Unreal Engine "Volume", but Andor went back to using lots of practical sets and locations.

HZD is so effects heavy that it's extremely difficult to pull off. You'd need Jim Cameron to pull off its extent of effects work. God of War, maybe, but it still needs alot of effects, and it has to push the lead actor to be videogame protagonist levels of violent.

Well, the HZD show is intended to be set primarily before the apocalypse with only a few post-apocalyptic vignettes. The post-apocalypse probably doesn't need that much effects work if it's kept small. Just shoot it around Sedona and add some robot dinos in a couple scenes.

I think it's gonna be bad for other reasons though.

Open Source Idiom posted:

What do you mean by "inconsistent theming"?

Because death of the author seems consistent with the idea that different aspects of a work produce different, inconsistent, meanings in the reader.

Authorial intent is often criticized for having mixed messages or elements that contradict or undermine the intended theme. Death of the Author generally takes it as given that unintended messages or signs will appear in a work, and given that they are subconscious, coincidental, or subjective, they will inherently be prone to disharmony with each other. This is not viewed as a flaw, but a feature of the method of reading.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 2, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Authorial intent is often criticized for having mixed messages or elements that contradict or undermine the intended theme. Death of the Author generally takes it as given that unintended messages or signs will appear in a work, and given that they are subconscious, coincidental, or subjective, they will inherently be prone to disharmony with each other. This is not viewed as a flaw, but a feature of the method of reading.

Yeah, I think we're agreeing with each other.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
A video game gets a show made from it that rules, while foundation gets something that people only watch to see how badly they gently caress it up.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

ded posted:

A video game gets a show made from it that rules, while foundation gets something that people only watch to see how badly they gently caress it up.

I mildly enjoy foundation, but then I've never read the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

The probability of this happening is somewhere between never and zero, but I'd go crazy if they made Bloodborne into a TV series or movie.