Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

do it, coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1620853105184096256

Is this good for the players? I have no idea.

The guy was the Mayor of Boston, and a long time union head. He's not a lawyer and doesn't have any sort of graduate degree. I do not understand why he would leave a cushy cabinet position to head the world's weakest pro sports union, but I guess he has ample experience being spineless and ineffectual having worked in the Biden administration.

Sounds like Mike Gillis is the bridesmaid once again.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Nyquist is out for the season, so that's one name that is removed from the trade block.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/JamesNicholsNHL/status/1620861907925372928?t=khPKARyYCp5ItquxOAl4wQ&s=19

Woah

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

The guy was the Mayor of Boston, and a long time union head. He's not a lawyer and doesn't have any sort of graduate degree. I do not understand why he would leave a cushy cabinet position to head the world's weakest pro sports union, but I guess he has ample experience being spineless and ineffectual having worked in the Biden administration.

Sounds like Mike Gillis is the bridesmaid once again.

The cabinet position has less than 2 years left.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The cabinet position has less than 2 years left.

The CBA only has three years left and he's gonna get axed when the players are forced to take a 35% pay cut and grant the right of primae noctis to each team's owner.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yikes

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
more like Andrew Blonde pulling a dumbdumb move like that

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Panthers are now justified in the firing of Andrew Brunette.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This stupid gently caress is going to ruin the season.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Andrew Brunette getting that clutch final season in with the Blackhawks to add to their 70s Canadiens level dominance of DUI charged alumni

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/1620778600940310529

Happy to see the long history of Connors torching a Calgary team at the Saddledome continuing.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Last time the Hitmen held him to 13 sog 4 goals 2 assists.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Last time the Hitmen held him to 13 sog 4 goals 2 assists.

He has 24 pts (16g 11a) in his 7 games since the WJC. He has 88 pts (43g 45a) in 35 games overall this year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Flames have sold out 3 games all year!

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

The Flames are horribly boring to watch... Huberdeau is going to finish sub 60 points... experience Sutter hockey.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Make Sutter coach McDavid. I wanna see him be forced to block shots.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Don't worry, when Sutter is promoted to GM, he'll make everything better (for the rest of us)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

drat, Marchand rules.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

Make Sutter coach McDavid. I wanna see him be forced to block shots.

There was a play in preseason where Huberdeau took the puck off a pinching d-man and did this nifty spin-o-rama to avoid the guy entirely and create an odd man rush from center ice in... all Sutter saw on that play was a forward shying away from contact in his own zone. Huberdeau grinds now... I mean he's pretty good at it because he's pretty jacked, but that's $10.5 starting next year.

I'm sure McDavid would still probably get 120 points, but he'd be benched for missing assignments... and have Lucic on his wing... again.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/passittobulis/status/1620875087015710721

lmao YES

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

this rules. the nhl is committed to maximum chaos

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

probably the single worst part about cheering for the oilers is having to pay attention to Bob stauffer, the single ugliest human being to ever regularly appear on television, to actually understand what is happening with the loving team

seeing him on TV is IMO inarguable proof of sexism because there is no amount of glad-handling/politics/expertise/qualification that would allow a similarly ugly woman on the air. I don't like to make fun of guys but good lord.

it's a surreal experience seeing him do a segment and then switch to Gene Principe yelling at Ukrainian refugees. i love watching them

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

His reply to this (40 minutes later) made me actually cringe

https://twitter.com/steve_dangle/status/1620856834088386561?s=46&t=yfBbSCfULVFAI81QWEJ07g

Why is this guy on tv so much, god dammit who is his audience

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

he is toronto typified so yeah. I dunno how people can stand it for more than a minute.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know who Bob Stauffer is but this article from 2016 is great:

quote:

Basically his scenario had the Edmonton Oilers winning the draft lottery and making a deal with the Arizona Coyotes. It went as such:

To Arizona: 1st overall selection in 2016 (Auston Matthews)
To Edmonton: Dylan Strome, the 7th overall, 18th overall, and 37th overall picks in 2016.

Thankfully Edmonton got Puljujarvi instead of, hypothetically, Dylan Strome, Clayton Keller, Logan Stanley, and Libor Hajek. You know, I think I would've kept Matthews.

quote:

[David] Staples didn’t like it so much saying the following: "It would be next to madness to trade any of the top three picks in this draft unless you’re bringing back a player like P.K. Subban or Erik Karlsson."

Now I'm tittering, imagining the Oilers picking Laine 2nd and then trading him for Subban.

Any idiot could :iceburn: Steve "Dangle".

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Now I'm tittering, imagining the Oilers picking Laine 2nd and then trading him for Subban.

The Canucks had a deal in place in 2016 that if PLD was available at 5, the Canucks would trade that pick to the Habs straight across for PK Subban. Jim Benning was saved from making that deal by the Jackets taking Dubois, he still turned around and used the 5th pick on Olli "collapsed after one bag skate" Juolevi instead of Matt Tkachuk because he watched two world juniors games on TV.

Just two fantastically bad decisions mere minutes apart. What a legend that guy was.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why does every post about the Canucks make me feel even worse for that teams fans? Like 10 straight years of some of the worst management the sport has ever seen.

I guess at least they didnt protect a serial rapist.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

that we know of, there's still a chance for them to surprise you. maybe one day we'll get some more details about Willie Mitchell

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

His reply to this (40 minutes later) made me actually cringe

https://twitter.com/steve_dangle/status/1620856834088386561?s=46&t=yfBbSCfULVFAI81QWEJ07g

40 minutes for that Jesus Christ

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

quote:

Former NHL player Reid Boucher has been sentenced to four years of probation with one year of suspended jail time, if he successfully completes the probation, in his 2011 sexual assault case Monday, both the now-23-year-old woman at the centre of the case and his lawyer told the Detroit Free Press...

The sentence comes after Boucher pleaded guilty to third-degree criminal sexual conduct against a minor in a Washtenaw County Trial Court on Dec. 13. He was originally being charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct....

The incidents occurred in 2011, when Boucher, then 17, assaulted a 12-year-old girl whose family hosted him as a billet family in Ann Arbor, Mich., when Boucher played for the USA Hockey development program.

"In March of 2011, we spoke to parents of both minors and there were no accusations made, but Boucher was proactively removed from the billet home," a USA Hockey spokesperson told The Athletic. "In March of 2021, we were notified by police of allegations of sexual misconduct and have fully cooperated with their investigation."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-former-nhler-reid-boucher-sentenced-closed-court-sexual-assault-case/

quote:

A jury on Tuesday found former Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen not guilty of sexual assault after a week of salacious testimony...

Virtanen was charged in January with sexual assault in connection with an incident in a downtown Vancouver hotel room in September 2017.

He told the court last week that the woman who accused him of assault was an "enthusiastic participant" in the encounter. He said they mutually began kissing and touching while lying in bed and helped each other take their clothes off before having sex.

The 23-year-old woman testified that she repeatedly said "no" and told Virtanen that she did not want to have sex with him before he pinned her to the hotel bed with his body.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34298260/former-vancouver-canucks-f-jake-virtanen-found-not-guilty-sex-assault

quote:

Washington Capitals forward Brendan Leipsic is apologizing after a private group chat that included misogynistic comments was leaked on Wednesday...

In one instance of messaging in the group chat, Leipsic posted a photo of a former teammate's wife and wrote "look how fat" she "is lol."

Leipsic also refers to women as pigs and makes light of other women's weights in various other messages.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/washington-capitals-brendan-leipsic-instagram-1.5558796

All three of these guys were on the Canucks roster at the same time in 2018/19.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 2, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

that we know of, there's still a chance for them to surprise you. maybe one day we'll get some more details about Willie Mitchell

Oh yeah I forgot about him too

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

mcmagic posted:

This stupid gently caress is going to ruin the season.

you're not kidding:
https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1620899434258378752?s=20

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 2, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

All three of these guys were on the Canucks roster at the same time in 2018/19.

Ah, but that makes them parallel rapists/misogynists (allegedly).

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
DUI on a golf cart? and Florida fired this man???

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DUI on a golf cart isn't legal in florida?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

mcmagic posted:

Anything is legal in Florida

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

In Jersey everything’s legal as long as you don’t get caught.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol like a loving GTA side mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

In Jersey everything’s legal as long as you don’t get caught.

I don't have any neighbors who have gotten DUIs on a golfcart so that might be true.