Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
In other news I did a huge revamp of our Gitlab CI pipeline templates for deploying poo poo to kube and it’s beautiful. About a thousand fewer lines of code, going from 14 templates to 2, support for multi cloud, arbitrary #s of clusters (and by extension arbitrary #s of environments), passing in arbitrary arguments, arbitrary flow control, multiple helmfiles…

Opinionated design is nice and all but not when you sacrifice too much to achieve it! A little bit of flexibility deferred to the user goes a long long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

About a thousand fewer lines of code, going from 14 templates to 2,

I worked with that guy

gently caress that guy (mr. 14 templates is better than 2)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

After having an experience in a bigco where getting one SaaS app to have the right Okta configuration took five teams two months, I completely understand why any business supporting SAML/OIDC does not want to open their support teams to tickets about it until the customer has proven they're really invested

Most everything does OIDC now thankfully. I can't imagine having to build support for the eldritch horrors that SAML contains

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

luminalflux posted:

Most everything does OIDC now thankfully. I can't imagine having to build support for the eldritch horrors that SAML contains

*Laughs in higher Ed/Shibboleth*

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

*Laughs in higher Ed/Shibboleth*

Look, after IFS went nowhere, Umich really needed something that would fetch some mind share. Let them have something.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This isn’t strictly DevOps but close enough that I figure folks here might have an idea on the matter.

I grabbed one of these new M2 MacBooks with the intent, among other things, to use some of the extra beef to spin up some VMs in order to dink around with K8s finally. Lo and behold it seems that Virtualbox support on the processor is spotty right now and anything I emulate via any means will also be ARM based. That isn’t awful but most of the reason I didn’t already do this on a few RasPis was that ARM support of containers and most K8s guides/walkthroughs don’t usually line up.

What’s the play here? Wait for Virtualbox to get in a usable state? Pay for a Parallels sub (have standard, have to have Pro for Vagrant comparability)? Try and convince the wife to let me spend some $$$ on a Proxmox instance with more than 16GB of RAM?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Warbird posted:

This isn’t strictly DevOps but close enough that I figure folks here might have an idea on the matter.

I grabbed one of these new M2 MacBooks with the intent, among other things, to use some of the extra beef to spin up some VMs in order to dink around with K8s finally. Lo and behold it seems that Virtualbox support on the processor is spotty right now and anything I emulate via any means will also be ARM based. That isn’t awful but most of the reason I didn’t already do this on a few RasPis was that ARM support of containers and most K8s guides/walkthroughs don’t usually line up.

What’s the play here? Wait for Virtualbox to get in a usable state? Pay for a Parallels sub (have standard, have to have Pro for Vagrant comparability)? Try and convince the wife to let me spend some $$$ on a Proxmox instance with more than 16GB of RAM?

Utm

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Warbird posted:

https://github.com/lima-vm/lima

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Warbird posted:

What does "dink around with k8s finally" mean to you? What are you looking to accomplish?

If it's just "learn to deploy things onto kubernetes", minikube/k3d/kind works pretty good for spinning up a cluster on your laptop and you can cover 90-99% of use cases with this. I use it for most of my dev work on my M1 MBP. It notably falls apart for some development workflows, like ArgoCD local dev which expects the k8s pods to not be in a VM (which they are in Docker on Mac, so I use either an EC2 instance with Minikube or my Ubuntu workstation for this)

If you mean "manually deploy a kubernetes control plane and manage nodes" for production use, you might want to re-examine your life and just use a managed controlplane like EKS/GKE/AKS.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Probably less than 5% of k8s use cases justify rolling your own poo poo.
I don't think I've ever even interviewed somebody that's managed their own control plane or rolled their own, or even really knew what was involved in it. Not in the past 4 years, anyway.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

I don't think I've ever even interviewed somebody that's managed their own control plane or rolled their own, or even really knew what was involved in it. Not in the past 4 years, anyway.

Hi

e: I also write my operators in python

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 6, 2023

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

Hi

e: I also write my operators in python

Dang, you're not even using it as an excuse for some resume driven go development?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

Dang, you're not even using it as an excuse for some resume driven go development?

Why would I not use python?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

jaegerx posted:

Why would I not use python?

If you need to use informers for resources, since that's not in client-python

(i tried to implement what I'm building in python and it's just not doable in kopf or client-python, so Go it is :smith:)

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Some nerd at work wanted to manage the control plane, led to way too much work for no benefit, now we just use EKS and it's way better.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wish AWS would hurry up and add support for setting feature gates tho

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We ran our own control plane with kops in 2018 or something when EKS didn’t exist yet. It sucked rear end and I am glad everyone has managed k8s now.

Also everyone on my team has gotten a bug up their butt to write everything in TypeScript for some reason. I’m too old for this poo poo, let me write python as god intended :argh:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Methanar posted:

Our clients? Act reasonably and utilize mature solutions for their own benefit instead of doing just the dumbest loving thing possible for some slight perceived benefit? How long have you worked in this field?

But yeah, minikube or the like is likely the call here as I really just want to poke around and figure this all out; deploy some services and so on. Maaaaaaaaaybe migrate my containerized services over to a cluster once I understand it all, but likely not as there are better ways to skin that cat without going full rear end K8s.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Warbird posted:

Our clients? Act reasonably and utilize mature solutions for their own benefit instead of doing just the dumbest loving thing possible for some slight perceived benefit? How long have you worked in this field?

But yeah, minikube or the like is likely the call here as I really just want to poke around and figure this all out; deploy some services and so on. Maaaaaaaaaybe migrate my containerized services over to a cluster once I understand it all, but likely not as there are better ways to skin that cat without going full rear end K8s.

I have told you in 2 threads, that UTM will emulate x86 for free on Mac arm.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

And I appreciate that, thank you.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Warbird posted:

yeah just go for minikube if you're trying to figure out how to deploy stuff on k8s. 95% of the stuff will just work on an M1 (because that's what a lot of everyone else uses for localdev)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

jaegerx posted:

I have told you in 2 threads, that UTM will emulate x86 for free on Mac arm.

Thanks for mentioning UTM. I haven't had a need for something like VirtualBox in a while but this looks REALLY nice so glad to have that in my back pocket whenever I do want it. Also it's not owned by loving Oracle so that's nice.

luminalflux posted:

yeah just go for minikube if you're trying to figure out how to deploy stuff on k8s. 95% of the stuff will just work on an M1 (because that's what a lot of everyone else uses for localdev)

yeah +1 to this. I still hit the odd landmine on my M1 (in general, not just in the k8s world) but it's getting better all the time. I had to fix a bunch of our own internal tools because I got the first M1 Mac on my team and the emulated performance was horrific on some things. Where "fix" just means making sure the container is built for both architectures and any binaries inside it are also built for the correct arch, nothing crazy.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 6, 2023

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I use kind when I need a local k8s for something. Never had a problem with it. It's a bit more real than minikube

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 6, 2023

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

create and destroy test clusters on gke or DO's and use that m2 for what its made for: keeping open a thousand tabs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Docjowles posted:

We ran our own control plane with kops in 2018 or something when EKS didn’t exist yet. It sucked rear end and I am glad everyone has managed k8s now.

Same

Whatever managed k8s costs, it's a fraction of the cost of the engineering time to gently caress around and find out how k8s actually works

Ran a kops production cluster from like 1.15 to 1.21 I spent way too much time doing administration, reading patch/release notes, weeding out unhealthy nodes etc

It's probably worth $100 in AWS credits to spin up a kops cluster, one time, like sticking a needle in your eye, just so you know why people tell you not to do it so you'll stop wanting to do it

K3S is an acceptable way to spin up a "cluster" on your laptop. There's also some variant that runs as...I forget one or five containers that has everything and just sits on top of docker daemon. I don't recommend doing that but it's available for the morbidly curious. Edit,: it's actually something besides minikube. Minikube is awful

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 6, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Our developers: "why the gently caress are you trying to force us to make changes through IaC with code reviews, this is an outrage, you guys are literally Hitler, this is a toxic culture of no trust blah blah blah"

Also our developers: ":siren: P1 ISSUE NETWORKING IS DOWN PAGE EVERYONE :siren:" Hmm cool looking at CloudTrail some contractor in India made a bunch of edits to your route tables directly in the AWS console at like 4AM local time, didn't tell anyone he was doing it or why, and logged off. Oh well too bad, no way to prevent this.

At least it is Friday :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm here to tell you that even with iac and sane pr policies, the same people will just get someone to rubber stamp their pr's and the outage will still happen

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

While true, at least there is a record of what the hell was done, when, and by who. Without me clicking around the console or sifting through a billion cloud trail events.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any good resources for prepping for a "scripting exercise to parse logs" coding interview module

I'm guessing it will be something along the lines of

Sad regex stuff or some kind of masking
Big O notation quizlet
Json mapping and sorting

?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Docjowles posted:

While true, at least there is a record of what the hell was done, when, and by who. Without me clicking around the console or sifting through a billion cloud trail events.

Rolling back changes via iac is also a zillion times easier and better than the console especially depending on some resource types

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Hadlock posted:

Any good resources for prepping for a "scripting exercise to parse logs" coding interview module

Big O notation quizlet
Json mapping and sorting

?

gently caress you

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

uh, hello to you too, person i've never interacted with before but seems to mostly post one liners to cspam

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
You know I misread your first post and thought you wanted to make a quiz for interview candidates but now I realize you're asking for help. Maybe that guy did too and got mad cause coding interviews are stupid

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah originally I had a big care post about how I was prepping for an interview to add context and then I realized nobody cares so I cut that part out. I guess it was important after all

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

are you a candidate? just grind leetcode OP
are you the interviewer? design a problem that can't be solved by "just grind leetcode"

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Resdfru posted:

You know I misread your first post and thought you wanted to make a quiz for interview candidates but now I realize you're asking for help. Maybe that guy did too and got mad cause coding interviews are stupid

yea i read it wrong too, thought you wanted to build an interview module to test that list, sorry

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Hadlock posted:

Big O notation quizlet
Json mapping and sorting

?

Natural language processing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Resdfru posted:

Rolling back changes via iac is also a zillion times easier and better than the console especially depending on some resource types
Hypothetically true, but AWS still manages to make this an awful and unpredictable experience that somehow gets worse with every new service

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

most of the cloudformation rollback footguns require you to pass a capability that is basically the AWS SDK version of signing the "i know that i might irreparably maim myself" waiver at the rock climbing gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I refuse to acknowledge cloudformations existence