Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I started Engage after playing through an SRW and basically every plot point people have been annoyed about just had me nodding my head thinking "Yeah, they're really nailing the vibe of Children's mecha/tokusatsu show about courage and friendship." Pretty sure I encountered very similar plot beats in a game which was literally adapting several such shows. Engage might even do them with a bit more class and tighter story telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah every single scene people have identified as especially bad have been highlights for me. Real good stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair there are some kamen riders i would say are better than this but there are also some i would say are worse than this

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I started Engage after playing through an SRW and basically every plot point people have been annoyed about just had me nodding my head thinking "Yeah, they're really nailing the vibe of Children's mecha/tokusatsu show about courage and friendship." Pretty sure I encountered very similar plot beats in a game which was literally adapting several such shows. Engage might even do them with a bit more class and tighter story telling.

To be fair SRW is doing that while also fusing together like a dozen plots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kamen rider build is a masterpiece just for the gag where the next episode previews go from bland plot teases to the characters actively joking about and commenting on the plot and pointing out plot holes and then just talking to each other in them and then the dialog from the previews starts to get referenced in the show and at one point a character learns about a plot twist because it was mentioned in the next episode preview

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
(big spoilers) i can't believe that alear went back in time, to a time before he died, to kill his past self, before his future self, could become infinite. age of ultron

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Supremezero posted:

To be fair SRW is doing that while also fusing together like a dozen plots

Oh yeah absolutely but I don't really mind when SRW depicts an early character death and portrays it as dramatically as possible so when Engage does something similar with Lumera but with strong VA and better follow-through I come out of it thinking it was a pretty good scene that I don't really have any issues with.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Endorph posted:

to be fair there are some kamen riders i would say are better than this but there are also some i would say are worse than this

what's your take on Gaim, because before I started watching KR Gaim is one that I saw on many top 10 lists, sometimes as the best KR season of all time and expertly written, then I watched it and thought it kind of fell apart in the second half. In like, a still entertaining way, but it seemed clear they didn't know how to really pay off what they had set up in the first half.

anyway to tie it back to Fire Emblem, Gaim : 3H :: Build : Engage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id compare engage more to like fourze maybe, not amazing but a mostly solid feel good thing

but yeah gaim has some neat ideas but a few too many neat ideas and a lot of things it wants to do were done better in ryuki

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
One thing I want to mention on the topic of the story quality: Lumera's death sort of worked for me because so much of Alear's reaction was about still not knowing her. Grieving that there isn't more to grieve, especially when she seems to care so much... But that still caps it at 'wistful sadness' instead of genuine tragedy. (End game) And then you get the scenes in the past after the revelation of Alear's real parentage, where you see just enough about the two of them to put it all in context, and only THEN did it become properly sad to me. And that recontextualization of everything wouldn't have landed if the initial death scene was totally satisfying.

I think that's a bit of writing that doesn't get enough credit, because it's playing the long game. I like it.

Edit: Similarly, (end game) the spoiler of Alear's parentage itself is in the same kind of category, because even in the moment people stop and go, "wait, does that actually matter?" And then you get the past scene and it has actual impact when you see the original Alear acting like a zombie.

Einander fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 2, 2023

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ducking spoilers for a quick question -- how does promotion work? GBA/Radiant-Style or 3 Houses? Picked up my first couple Master Seals and don't know whether I should use them right away.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Smiling Knight posted:

Ducking spoilers for a quick question -- how does promotion work? GBA/Radiant-Style or 3 Houses? Picked up my first couple Master Seals and don't know whether I should use them right away.

The way internal levels are tracked, there's no exp penalty for promoting early and you can reset your level with Second Seals later, no practical reason not to use them ASAP.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Smiling Knight posted:

Neither this time around. It works like GBA/Radiant except you don't start taking less XP after promotion, XP gain is only tracked by your hidden internal level so if you promote immediately you get just as much XP as you would have if you didn't.

Also advanced classes have better growths so there is literally no reason not to promote as soon as humanly possible

Also Second Seals reset your level again ala Awakening so you can level infinitely.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 2, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shiny777 posted:

The way internal levels are tracked, there's no exp penalty for promoting early and you can reset your level with Second Seals later, no practical reason not to use them ASAP.

What does reset level mean? Do you lose the growth you've had and have an opportunity to start again?

I understand levels just keep going up but your overall level isn't really visible (like base class and advanced total), outside of your xp gain dropping off.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

JBP posted:

What does reset level mean? Do you lose the growth you've had and have an opportunity to start again?

I understand levels just keep going up but your overall level isn't really visible (like base class and advanced total), outside of your xp gain dropping off.

Growth stays

Level goes to 1

Infinite levels

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Supremezero posted:

Growth stays

Level goes to 1

Infinite levels

What does level 0 mean though? You're just working to 5 again for the class skill?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

JBP posted:

What does level 0 mean though? You're just working to 5 again for the class skill?

You keep the class skill if you use a second seal at 20 to go back to level 1 in that class. There is no level 0.

It functionally just means you get to keep levelling in that class.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

JBP posted:

So you start at Lv1. You go to Lv10 and promote. Your internal level is still 10.

You reach the Lv20 cap as a promoted class. Your internal level is 30

You use a Second Seal to change class (you can even choose to Second Seal into the same class you’re already in if you’re capped.) You’re now a Lv1 promoted class, and your internal level is 30.

Tbh it’s not really something to worry about. Just Promote At 10 and then do what sounds fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Notty posted:

Tbh it’s not really something to worry about. Just Promote At 10 and then do what sounds fun.

This is what I've been doing. Thanks for the explanation, that's how I thought it worked but haven't really used any second seals.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

Just think of it as increasing your level cap. I did that with Alear just now. He hit level 20 in Divine Dragon, I used a Second Seal on him, now he has the same stats but is level 1 again and can keep leveling. You keep your class skill, too, unless you also change classes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

So is Chapter 12 supposed to be a breather map or is it just especially a joke on Normal even compared to other maps? Because I beat it in uh 3 turns.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's gimmick is multiple reinforcement waves, but you can clear the currently existing enemies early on in normal, which ends the map.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

So is Chapter 12 supposed to be a breather map or is it just especially a joke on Normal even compared to other maps? Because I beat it in uh 3 turns.

Its tougher on hard but yeah its totally a breather after the chapters 10/11 double shot.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Supremezero posted:

For inheritance, yes. For Lucina, no. She has her own source of allowing non-backups to chain attack.
i learned this immediately after spending 1000 SP putting it on Ivy. It wasn't until I'd saved, done the next story chapter, and realized she wasn't launching chain attack fireballs at everything that I actually went back and read the description. :sigh:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I did the same with Zelkov. Really would've appreciated a respec option just for that, 1k SP is a lot to have wasted but oh well.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I tire of dopey Shonen protagonists and bullshit like love and friendship winning the day.
And most SRW protags are less dopey than this crew anyway. Even the protags of the robot shows aimed specifically at children aren't passive observers in their own story the way this crew is.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The only scene that really bugged me was (chapter 24) Zephia's million-year long death scene. Like, I get it game, she genuinely loved the hounds like a family, you don't have to have her monologue on about her backstory for ten minutes and then have her appear in the past to say the same things about wanting a child of her own. That really felt like, "we've written this background for these characters but haven't gotten to use it so we'll stuff it all into her last scene." Otherwise I loved everything about the time travel section though, getting to see red Alear was fantastic. Laura Stahl did a great job with the voice work there.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

somehow im only learning that i can sell items LITERALLY in the final chapter

i may be stupid

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
got my rear end beat on chapter 17, might have checkmate'd myself. Going to have to start over.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

lmao @ sombron's motivations (final chapter): "I once made friends with an edgy loner emblem... but then... someone was nice to me... and in disgust, my emblem left me forever!! Therefore, I have decided to kill everyone."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The normal/hard stat variations seem like a big gap. Someone told me their decently leveled Alear was getting 0 hit dodge rate against the final boss, meanwhile my near-40 speed Yunaka with Marth avoid stacking was still getting 30% hit on her on hard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

The normal/hard stat variations seem like a big gap. Someone told me their decently leveled Alear was getting 0 hit dodge rate against the final boss, meanwhile my near-40 speed Yunaka with Marth avoid stacking was still getting 30% hit on her on hard.

They might have been using Engage+, since that's a pretty easy source of +60 avoid

I think normal mode also just gives a flat +20 hit/avoid to player units?

I hit displayed 0 a lot in hard mode, but not against the final boss without using the spoilered thing

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

When I Bonded with my S-ranked Yunaka, literally nothing in the entire game could hit her on Hard/Classic. It owned.

(Ivy still did most of the actual damage to the final boss though.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

lmao @ sombron's motivations (final chapter): "I once made friends with an edgy loner emblem... but then... someone was nice to me... and in disgust, my emblem left me forever!! Therefore, I have decided to kill everyone."

Honestly that was the one time the story made me groan instead of just certain characters. Would've rather had it be unexplained that have that, the one time I groaned. And I actually really liked both Lumera scenes, Laura Stahl acts her rear end off in the first one especially and even with me knowing it was coming, it made me tear up. My thoughts on finishing the game are that it was the most fun FE to play since my first time playing the GBA games. The cast is middling where there are a good number of characters I like, and then a great many I hate but aside from the early game I'm not forced to use them so idk, I rate them better than Awakenings?

It's not a story or cast that will stick with me, but it was fun enough to experience to the point that despite hating this on reveal, my biggest complaints are about the changes to support gain (why'd they remove enemy phase, or 3H's change so that everyone in attack range gains support?!) and some wonky ui issues where they made weapon weight annoyingly hard to see and didn't show if you're currently using an engraving.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

finished game

game good??

I love how the final map does the same thing they did with Shadows of Valentia, where every character you deploy has a unique dialogue line for it.

now the question is, do I replay it on hard... or maddening??

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

basically everyone knew exactly what would happen to Lumera the second they saw her but Stahl's performance managed to sell the drama pretty well imo

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
everyone hates engage because it's a mobile game with gacha mechanics

case closed

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

finished game

game good??

I love how the final map does the same thing they did with Shadows of Valentia, where every character you deploy has a unique dialogue line for it.

now the question is, do I replay it on hard... or maddening??

That moment was extremely cool.

Oh wait if I do have something to criticize it's the music, it was never bad but it never really stood out. The most hype musical moments are just when the main FE theme kicks in, instead of how 3H has a bevy of amazing songs. Like for ch 25 I was extremely tempted to mute the ingame ost and play A Funeral for Flowers. A minor complaint but I feel worth mentioning. I also did like the end credits song.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The music in Ch25 is extremely good and cool and I grinded *all* the reinforcements into dust on hard. On Maddening I'll have to do some warp/rewarp shenanigans I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Whenever people complain about Fire Emblem Storytelling, I think about Awakening. There's a scene where you meet the ruler of a nearby nation... (Awakening Spoilers but this is like halfway through the game and honestly raises more questions than it answers) Who looks exactly like the evil wizard you "killed" earlier in the game. Then his advisor comes out, who looks exactly like Robin (the player character). You leave and the characters say "Hey isn't it weird that those guys look exactly like the evil wizard and Robin?" but don't spend any more time pondering that. Then, at night the evil wizard guy appears and tells Robin that he's their father. In the morning Robin tells this to Chrom, who basically replies "Huh, that's weird" and they move on from there.

That, to me, is Fire Emblem.