Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
When you are the Lakers and Knicks and got a multi-billion contract yes but there are teams that last time we saw the numbers were getting about a 10th of those teams deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
man gently caress sports owners and media conglomerates sideways with a backhoe i dont owe them a rusty nickel

probe me if you have to but heres the recipe

dumpster salvage pc that can be formatted flat and new os installed without losing anything important

vpn

adblock

search "reddit [insert sport name here] streams"

click on links that either will or wont demolish the pc you dont care about until you find some that reliably work

never pay anyone to watch any game you want in the world again

im legitimately amped for the upcoming womens t20 cricket world cup why because crickets on at weird times late at night and i got hooked

edit

while im on the topic uk nfl streams are unambiguously better than us ones because at a bare minimum their commercials are more interesting and they omit our dumbass lowest common denominator pregame and halftime segments for different dumbass content

Sexual Lorax fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 31, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Most of us already do similar things to watch our blacked out teams.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I know, I do it too. But, I just wanna watch my team on TV without any extra hoops to jump through.

Also, got this email yesterday.

quote:

We have been working hard to renew our deal with the MLB Network to continue carrying their content on YouTube TV. However, we have been unable to reach an agreement, and starting today, January 31, 2023, MLB Network content will no longer be available on YouTube TV. You will also lose access to any previous Library recordings from this channel. Members will be able to continue watching select national MLB games via coverage on FOX, ESPN, and TBS through our Base Plan. We also provide the flexibility to pause or cancel your membership anytime.

Don't really watch it, but it's just another channel I can't watch if I wanted to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hockles posted:

I know, I do it too. But, I just wanna watch my team on TV without any extra hoops to jump through.

Also, got this email yesterday.

Don't really watch it, but it's just another channel I can't watch if I wanted to.
It was discussed in the baseball thread, but YouTube also told someone who asked if the price would change if they lost the MLB stuff and the YouTube people replied 'lol no'

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sexual Lorax posted:

probe me if you have to but heres the recipe

search "reddit

I’m not sure recommending Reddit for much of anything is good but not exactly probation worthy :v:

(And I have to do similar for a few things because as of right now there is no way to watch college football where I live, including because ESPN no longer offers their streaming platform here, and nobody else owns the rights)

Also, by far the worst thing that happened last year was MLB’s streaming platform outside the US, at the literal last moment, saying they wouldn’t carry the playoff TV coverage live and were radio only. Absolutely shameful rug-pull.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was discussed in the baseball thread, but YouTube also told someone who asked if the price would change if they lost the MLB stuff and the YouTube people replied 'lol no'

That's how it always is. Lose channels, price stays the same. Add new channels, price goes up. Lose those new channels, price doesn't go back down.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

I’m not sure recommending Reddit for much of anything is good but not exactly probation worthy :v:

lol well no kidding but thats the funny part you dont actually go to reddit you just use that word in google or duckduckgo or whatever and skip that wretched hive of scum and villainy entirely so you have more time to spend in this one

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Reddit is the child something awful deserves.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
we don't talk about 4chan

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Lockback posted:

we don't talk about 4chan

That’s the one kept locked up in the basement

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Dr_Strangelove posted:

That’s the one kept locked up in the basement

odd part is the doors not locked 4chan just never goes upstairs

go outside and play 4chan

make some friends 4chan

theres a whole world out there 4chan

can you at least get a job and help pay for things if youre not going to find your own place 4chan

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Hockles posted:

That's how it always is. Lose channels, price stays the same. Add new channels, price goes up. Lose those new channels, price doesn't go back down.

i swore there was some sort of law made in the 90s that prevented the cost of pay tv from ever going down

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vertical Lime posted:

i swore there was some sort of law made in the 90s that prevented the cost of (anything) from ever going down

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’d like to report a murder

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1621222779281625088

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Sexual Lorax posted:

im legitimately amped for the upcoming womens t20 cricket world cup why because crickets on at weird times late at night and i got hooked

My favorite moment living in Grenada was the realization the Caribbean sports channel was bootlegging the same stream of the Ashes I was. God bless the :filez: islands.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/1621333600892514304?s=20

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
NHL Network just changed their bottom third to align with MLB Network's bottom third.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Edward Mass posted:

NHL Network just changed their bottom third to align with MLB Network's bottom third.

What do you mean bottom third? Graphics on their broadcast?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

humpthewind posted:

What do you mean bottom third? Graphics on their broadcast?

Sorry, I meant lower third.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Ah gotcha. I figured this was what you were referencing but I haven't heard either term so cool, I learned something today.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously watch that bomani interview with Jake Paul.

It's absolutely hillarious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

Has anyone ever looked good saying “I don’t know who you are”?

Bomani also asked Stephen A. about going on Hannity and got a really lame response but also Game Theory’s interview segment is always so short that you can’t really get into a debate on it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Is the full interview up anywhere? I've only seen that 45 second clip but apparently there was a whole thing about Paul's gambling app that Bomani leaned into him about, but I can't find it anywhere.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lockback posted:

Is the full interview up anywhere? I've only seen that 45 second clip but apparently there was a whole thing about Paul's gambling app that Bomani leaned into him about, but I can't find it anywhere.

If you watch Game Theory on HBO it’s part of the final segment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1623399655622213633

absolutely pristine work by both announcers here lmao

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/awesomechillguy/status/1623508062391631873

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1623399655622213633

absolutely pristine work by both announcers here lmao

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
So if ballys goes rear end up are there any teams in a position to just start their own network?

I assume the cardinals and the braves. I feel like mark Cuban could give the mavericks a channel if he could get the rights to the Rangers.

I’m know ballys has numerous problems. Is having to pay for the rights to 30 something teams a major factor? Is it a lot easier for a company to just worry about producing baseball and 1 or 2 winter sports in the same city/region?

I’m the NY market, so it’s 3 stations for the 7 sports and only YES has year round. Like how loving hard can it be to have a cable network with baseball all summer and hockey and basketball in cities like Detroit or Minnesota?

They have all 6 teams in Florida. I know Florida fans only care when the team in winning, and maybe New Era is the only one making money from that.

I’m sure there was plenty of overlap in the non game programming, but why not just have one network and if there’s 2 games at the same time half the state gets Miami, the other half gets Tampa and figure out how to mix them up with north florida.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well in the past most of sports went to one of the local OTA channels, and you could argue losing the sports is what "killed" a lot of these networks (although they usually have more eyes on them than even some of the big cable networks). They could presumably fill that void again. But they probably would not be able to pay what a lot of these teams are used to getting. Also the FCC rules against showing home games on broadcast TV if they aren't sold out still exist for some reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If Bally goes under (which is only a matter of time), I expect the leagues to try and start their own service

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Rick posted:

Well in the past most of sports went to one of the local OTA channels, and you could argue losing the sports is what "killed" a lot of these networks (although they usually have more eyes on them than even some of the big cable networks). They could presumably fill that void again. But they probably would not be able to pay what a lot of these teams are used to getting. Also the FCC rules against showing home games on broadcast TV if they aren't sold out still exist for some reason.

i thought the blackout rule for team sports only existed with the nfl (and it hasn't been enforced in years)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Blackout rules are negotiated by each league in the rights agreement.

The FCC rule (which no longer exists) was that a cable company couldn’t swoop in and pick up a game that was blacked out on an OTA channel.

I know up until Burrow, Kroger was still buying a bunch of Bengals tickets and giving them to kids or veterans to keep the games from being blacked out. They had to do that to keep a home Wild Card game from being blacked out.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 9, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Fix the blackout rules so I can watch the Mavs when they play on NBATV, here in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I know that MLB.tv is still subject to blackouts (I assume because of local agreements with Bally).

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What gets lost in the "why doesn't the league just start its own network" is that the leagues will then have to produce the games, which they don't want to do.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

TheWevel posted:

What gets lost in the "why doesn't the league just start its own network" is that the leagues will then have to produce the games, which they don't want to do.

MLS’ deal with Apple is an interesting testing ground for this. I wonder if any of the other leagues (well I guess just MLB and the NBA) will look at that over the next couple years and think they could also take it on with a single production partner.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know that MLB.tv is still subject to blackouts (I assume because of local agreements with Bally).

All of the RSNs, because at the end of the day your money is a lot less interesting to them than the 2-5 dollars a month from every subscriber in the area. MLB’s RSN bubble has already burst, we’re just waiting to see where things land while I’m still blacked out from the Cubs, Royals, Cardinals, White Sox, and Brewers in the hopes that I will call my provider and demand they carry their respective networks.

It’s not all bad news though,, there is basically an unlimited black hole of gambling money just waiting to take over every aspect of the broadcast.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

MLS’ deal with Apple is an interesting testing ground for this. I wonder if any of the other leagues (well I guess just MLB and the NBA) will look at that over the next couple years and think they could also take it on with a single production partner.

The difference is, the leagues are looking to distribute, Apple wants to produce (and more importantly to them, control) the whole broadcast operation from top to bottom. Soccer isn’t my thing, but I sure hope for their sake they get a better production than the trash Apple put out for MLB last year.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 9, 2023

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

All of the RSNs, because at the end of the day your money is a lot less interesting to them than the 2-5 dollars a month from every subscriber in the area. MLB’s RSN bubble has already burst, we’re just waiting to see where things land while I’m still blacked out from the Cubs, Royals, Cardinals, White Sox, and Brewers in the hopes that I will call my provider and demand they carry their respective networks.

It’s not all bad news though,, there is basically an unlimited black hole of gambling money just waiting to take over every aspect of the broadcast.

The difference is, the leagues are looking to distribute, Apple wants to produce (and more importantly to them, control) the whole broadcast operation from top to bottom. Soccer isn’t my thing, but I sure hope for their sake they get a better production than the trash Apple put out for MLB last year.

I think the nuance here is that the leagues aren’t looking to distribute, they are looking for money, and to your first point re: RSNs, that has historically been where the money is. Given how the leagues in general like to control their product I don’t think any of them would have issue with running everything themselves, especially if it was the path of the most revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The blackouts are driven by the territory rights, which can be weird (see the A’s trying to find a place around the Bay Area that won’t upset the Giants).