Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Expect a lot of T61 and West Virginia probably. I have a hard time thinking of any ships at T6 that are really exciting but maybe I just don't play it enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Destroyers: T-61 is a standout, Shinonome, Aigle
Cruisers: I think smoke cruisers, so Perth, Leander would work. I think Nurnberg if you can avoid instantly exploding.
Battleships: Bayern, Warspite, maybe the Repulse/Renown.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What are some good T6 ranked boats?

T-61, Graf Spee, Beârn, Dunkerque, Warspite, Repulse, Renown, Bayern.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Warspite is definitely a good shout, good concealment and very manoeuvrable with a big heal and bigger guns.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

How viable is a Venezia lighthouse build? Am apprehensive to abandon concealment but the increased damage and reload are tempting...

Also, which German tech tree battleship is the most enjoyable for a secondary build? Battleships or Battlecruisers and which tier. Got the legendary commander but not sure where to place him or which ship to aim for.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Definitely the battlecruisers, although I don't think you should do a secondary build at lower tiers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Also, which German tech tree battleship is the most enjoyable for a secondary build? Battleships or Battlecruisers and which tier. Got the legendary commander but not sure where to place him or which ship to aim for.

Günther Lütjens is god tier on the new battlecruiser line. T9 and T10 they have insane amounts of secondaries with an improved accuracy built in. Build for secondaries on top, and you'll literally be proccing Lütjens' special skill for faster reload within moments of coming to secondary range of something.

I haven't played the Preussen so I can't comment on it exactly, but the gulf between the Großer Kurfürst and the Schlieffen in insane. The Schlieffen isn't as durable as the Kurfürst but makes up for it with the improved accuracy and torps. Also, your secondary range is pretty much the same as your detection range, so the moment someone spots you, they get poo poo on from a great height at great volume.

Can't recommend the bote enough.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Interceptor Béarn is pretty fun. Just massive area denial.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Preussen is a good ship, not a good home for Gunther but certainly worth working towards and getting. It's the same hull as Kurfurst but has way way better turret angles so you can actually use your hitpoints and armour while still shooting all guns.

It is very good in Airship mode/battle. You cant really kill it quick enough in such short games and the quick-firing overmatching guns shred. It's basically a fatter and clumsier Ohio. I like finding map spots where you're in the path of the Airship but somewhat sheltered by islands, forcing the reds to deal with you at the expense of their own positioning.

Sure it ain't as fun as the balls-to-the-wall madness of Schlieffen but like, nothing is. Everyone needs to play that ship. The T9 of the line is almost more busted because it's 99% of the TX (406mm VS 420mm, big whoop) and can get T7 games. It absolutely dominates any time there's a T9 competitive mode. The whole German BC line is crazy good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Zieten seems like it should be utter trash with 6 super inaccurate (well I don’t run slot 3 acc mod maybe I’m a scrub) 16 inch guns. But it’s good anyway, poo poo is wack. I really enjoy it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The biggest annoyance I have with the Rupprecht is that the torpedo launchers are made from tissue paper, and the first hit you take from a battleship will destroy one or both tubes on that side in every battle without fail, and even a set of heavy cruiser 8" volleys will destroy them in 2 salvos. Never had another ship lose its torpedoes so easily and so frequently.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This game's players are wild man. Playing ranked, our Shinonome spent the entire game "flanking" and "hunting the CV", ie. completely out of position and useless. We lost because their Shinonome got four kills and was very good. At the end of the match our Shinonome let us know that it was another loving poo poo team and nobody was helping him and that's why we lost.

Guy finished second to last on the team, only slightly ahead of the T-61 who rushed a cap and got blapped ~40 second sin.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

The biggest annoyance I have with the Rupprecht is that the torpedo launchers are made from tissue paper, and the first hit you take from a battleship will destroy one or both tubes on that side in every battle without fail, and even a set of heavy cruiser 8" volleys will destroy them in 2 salvos. Never had another ship lose its torpedoes so easily and so frequently.

I may be remembering wrong but when they were first released wasn't there a bug in the game that made torp launchers, secondaries and AA guns invincible?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

I may be remembering wrong but when they were first released wasn't there a bug in the game that made torp launchers, secondaries and AA guns invincible?

I recall such a bug, but I don't remember the timing of it

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

NTRabbit posted:

I recall such a bug, but I don't remember the timing of it

It was right as the new BC line launched. Basically any ship mount that wasn't a main battery gun was invincible. It was a good time for DD's, as you weren't constantly losing launchers as well.
I never worry too much about the BC secondaries too much, as most of them are casemate and those seem a lot harder to kill. But I've never had more then one torpedo launcher survive a game. I've rarely had them survive to launch a second shot of torps honestly.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I got a Lenin out of a Santa crate, and that thing is one of the most busted ships in the game. My first game in ranked was 2.7k base XP.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKain posted:

It was right as the new BC line launched. Basically any ship mount that wasn't a main battery gun was invincible. It was a good time for DD's, as you weren't constantly losing launchers as well.
I never worry too much about the BC secondaries too much, as most of them are casemate and those seem a lot harder to kill. But I've never had more then one torpedo launcher survive a game. I've rarely had them survive to launch a second shot of torps honestly.

Lost one if not both of your torpedo tubes on a German ship is almost a meme at this point.

kaesarsosei posted:

I got a Lenin out of a Santa crate, and that thing is one of the most busted ships in the game. My first game in ranked was 2.7k base XP.

It's a monster of a ship.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

A lucky kraken finished the dockyard for me. I have...won WOWS. At least until the anniversary/holiday crates convince me to reinstall

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
I stopped playing this game somewhere around a year ago because carriers were ridiculous and then the subs appeared and on top of that tier 11 too.
Now i feel like playing again but if things are still near the same state probably not going to enjoy it for long enough to bother.
Have things moved back to a more "tolerable" state because i know drat well without looking that they have not moved to a good state.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

GoldenPrice posted:

I stopped playing this game somewhere around a year ago because carriers were ridiculous and then the subs appeared and on top of that tier 11 too.
Now i feel like playing again but if things are still near the same state probably not going to enjoy it for long enough to bother.
Have things moved back to a more "tolerable" state because i know drat well without looking that they have not moved to a good state.

Now there are T11 carriers and they have jets and air to surface missiles.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

GoldenPrice posted:

No

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
To me the biggest problem of the three is superships. If they really were T11 then they’d be fine, but some of them are really T12.

Subs are horrendous but with at most 1 a match, and with their limited mobility, I don’t get frustrated by them too much.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

To me the biggest problem of the three is superships. If they really were T11 then they’d be fine, but some of them are really T12.

Subs are horrendous but with at most 1 a match, and with their limited mobility, I don’t get frustrated by them too much.

What do you mean at most one a match? The double cv triple sub game is the bane of randoms, closely followed by a triple kearsarge division

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have no hard numbers but I would say on average I face less than a sub a match.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I had 9 battles in a row this morning that had 1-2 subs and 1-2 CVs before lucking into one that had neither. Subs consistently outnumber DDs in the queue every time I click battle, and CVs outnumber everything except battleships.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have not had that experience at all. Mostly playing Tier IX - * , and some Tier VI.

I might see a sub every 8 games (Tier VI seeing way more often it seems). CVs are a bit more prevalent, especially at Tier VI when I get a lot of double CV matches.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I would say I saw subs 3 out of every 4 games last I played. They were either irrelevant or game ruining at about a ten to one ratio.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Stanley Pain posted:

I have not had that experience at all. Mostly playing Tier IX - * , and some Tier VI.

I might see a sub every 8 games (Tier VI seeing way more often it seems). CVs are a bit more prevalent, especially at Tier VI when I get a lot of double CV matches.

Ntrabbit somehow exclusively experiences issues non stop that are unique to him and you shouldn't try understanding or applying his posts to the rest of reality.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It depends on what tier, what day and what server you're playing.

I havent played in like 6 months but I'd regularly have games with 2 subs either side and maybe a carrier. Far more subs on weekends than weekday evenings, and a lot more at tier 6-8.

Probably calmed down since then though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

On the EU servers subs are very frequent in T8+ games. I haven't kept a log or anything, but I'd say there's at least one sub per side in most games, usually with a CV on top. I mostly play around 6 o'clock GMT+2 to 8 o'clock GMT+2.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Two questions about the battlepass (I didn't buy it this month).

1) Does having the BP speed up your progression through the stages? My guess is no because I don't recall any additional missions.
2) If you didn't buy it initially, have progressed through the stages normally, then decide to buy it later, do you get all the previous rewards from the Premium pass? I would assume yes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

1. No.
2. Yes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I think the big purchase speeds it up? It says it unlocks another weekly mission.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The battle pass reward is a tech tree ship in ea - I certainly wouldn’t splurge for it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
A tech tree I have zero interest in.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Superconqueror, Superpetro, hybrid destroyers, support CVs.

Lmao.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

General Battuta posted:

Superconqueror, Superpetro, hybrid destroyers, support CVs.

Lmao.

Also a new gunboat line of Euro DD's that get radar and smoke.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I actually...sort of trust them to balance a tech tree line? Sort of? I guess? Am I a fool? They haven't pushed any new silver ships that really feel like game-breaking monsters lately, except St. Vincent, but I guess everyone's sleeping on that, or at least they were when I uninstalled.

Of course they're doing hybrid battleships as a tech tree so who the gently caress knows. All the misery for me is the stuff slapped on around (or underneath) the surface warfare part, which I, and maybe I have terminal brain worms, still pretty much enjoyed as long as the stakes were low.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

General Battuta posted:

I actually...sort of trust them to balance a tech tree line? Sort of? I guess? Am I a fool? They haven't pushed any new silver ships that really feel like game-breaking monsters lately, except St. Vincent, but I guess everyone's sleeping on that, or at least they were when I uninstalled.

Of course they're doing hybrid battleships as a tech tree so who the gently caress knows. All the misery for me is the stuff slapped on around (or underneath) the surface warfare part, which I, and maybe I have terminal brain worms, still pretty much enjoyed as long as the stakes were low.

Right now, Blimp mode is goddamn hilarious and I hope it never goes away. So many more ships work in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

General Battuta posted:

They haven't pushed any new silver ships that really feel like game-breaking monsters lately, except St. Vincent, but I guess everyone's sleeping on that, or at least they were when I uninstalled.

Its loving crazy how much this thing was slept on. I suggested after a couple of games that it might be a side-grade to Thunderer (which is basically the highest compliment you can give a BB) and got kinda flamed for that.