Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

qirex posted:

The only thing that takes me any time is changing ISO [which I have auto ranges for], between the Q menu, custom dials and the physical controls I have it pretty down. That said using my camera at sub-maximum efficiency does not have any impact on making my living, plus I use a flash very rarely which would complicate things a lot and I expect that's 99% of the time for a wedding photographer.

I also have a GR III and I like it but I don't love it, particularly no EVF. It mostly makes me wish my X100 was a touch smaller, 28mm and had IBIS.

You shoot an X100 series for income? Honestly I’m impressed. Not because it’s not capable, but most pros lean on 3-4 lenses and a couple bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Brrrmph posted:

You shoot an X100 series for income? Honestly I’m impressed. Not because it’s not capable, but most pros lean on 3-4 lenses and a couple bodies.

No, I am strictly hobbyist.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Brrrmph posted:

I am acquainted with someone that does professional stuff as a side job thing by word of mouth. They’ve done some cool stuff with X100V shoots.

Personally I never can figure it out. My preferred focal length is 28mm - I probably shoot 70% of my photos in that. After that comes 40-50mm.

I’m not a pro - just always find I am constantly stepping back or forward with 35mm. My Fuji kit goes FF-equivalent 28, 50, 135.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really wish Nikon hadn’t killed the DL series, they had a 1” sensor but fast lenses, viewfinders and what looked like a killer form factor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rufius posted:

I am acquainted with someone that does professional stuff as a side job thing by word of mouth. They’ve done some cool stuff with X100V shoots.

I might be looking to do that with the Leica Q if I'm happy with it. I did professional work for a few years full time in the late 2000's. Mostly freelance sports stuff, but I did lots of assisting for other local photographers, mostly weddings, events and commercial stuff. I would never take on a wedding on my own (yikes), but it's fun to assist as a spare photg for candid shooting and generally helping out, not having to be in charge and responsible for the business side of it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I might be looking to do that with the Leica Q if I'm happy with it. I did professional work for a few years full time in the late 2000's. Mostly freelance sports stuff, but I did lots of assisting for other local photographers, mostly weddings, events and commercial stuff. I would never take on a wedding on my own (yikes), but it's fun to assist as a spare photg for candid shooting and generally helping out, not having to be in charge and responsible for the business side of it.

Nice. I’m borrowing a friends Q2 Mono next week. I’m excited. He was showing me some of his shots and now I’m worried I’m gonna end up buying one…

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rufius posted:

Nice. I’m borrowing a friends Q2 Mono next week. I’m excited. He was showing me some of his shots and now I’m worried I’m gonna end up buying one…

Oh wow, definitely post about that. I'm worried too lol, I'm really wanting to try one and if I bought it my wife would kill me lol

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Don't worry, you really don't need that car. Riding a bike is healthy!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
You guys convinced me. I'm going to buy a Q2 Monochrom.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
You only need one kidney after all

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God I'd love a Q2 but there's no universe where I drop that kind of money on a "for fun" camera.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Shooting weddings seems to take a special kind of patience. I know a couple pros who stopped shooting weddings after a decade-ish of doing so. Eating up weekends, difficult wedding parties/families, 8-12 hour days, and then the stress of getting it right. I’m good, thanks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

powderific posted:

God I'd love a Q2 but there's no universe where I drop that kind of money on a "for fun" camera.

You can get a used Q like I did for half the price and there's a ton of them out there in like new condition.

There's lots of people that like the first Q better than the second as well, and the general consensus is that with the lens you're getting, you're basically getting the body for free. Buying that lens outright is gonna cost more than the entire camera itself.

And Leica gear holds it's value pretty well, a good condition used Q isn't gonna lose value too much unless you trash it, so if you needed to sell it you wouldn't take much of a loss if at all. I used my M3 setup for a few years and sold it for what I paid for it cuz i kept it in really good condition.

Brrrmph posted:

Shooting weddings seems to take a special kind of patience. I know a couple pros who stopped shooting weddings after a decade-ish of doing so. Eating up weekends, difficult wedding parties/families, 8-12 hour days, and then the stress of getting it right. I’m good, thanks.

Yeah I realized pretty quickly after assisting the first few times I wanted nothing to do with taking on that kind of responsibility and stress as the lead guy. Just helping out is fun tho without all the stress.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 3, 2023

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

My problem is id really like an M10-R or an M11 but they can’t really be had in decent condition for less than $6k. Meanwhile, I have a lead on a Q2 Monochrom with some light wear for $4300.

Willing to dump some of my gear for the Q2 Monochrom. I’ll wait a couple more years for M10-R or M11 prices to come down. I’ve played with the M bodies before that but I want 40MP min for that money.

It’s wild that M10-P’s are going for like $4500+ to me.

Anyway. I’m an idiot for wanting Leica things but that’s what I get for my grandfather giving me his old gear.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

rufius posted:

My problem is id really like an M10-R or an M11 but they can’t really be had in decent condition for less than $6k. Meanwhile, I have a lead on a Q2 Monochrom with some light wear for $4300.

I think you can get an M10 Monochrom for like 5k.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thoren posted:

I think you can get an M10 Monochrom for like 5k.

I have failed to find any that low. Seems like the floor has been $6500 and that was for a beat up one. They seem to run a 10-15% markup relative to the 10-R.

A cursory glance on eBay says bidding is starting around $5000 and going up 20-30% from there. BIN deals are like $7500+.

Anyway - it’s a stupid amount of money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Agreed, when I first saw the Q2 Monochrome I was like wow this is the camera for me until I saw the price tag lol. I mean I had a bit of a hard time justifying spending 2500 for a Q, but I figure overall it's relatively cheap for a Leica, and any decent DSLR setup with high quality lenses is gonna run more than that anyway so gently caress it.

But at $6k the Monochrome is just ridiculous for a black and white only camera. Gonna have to wait a few years and see it come down in price a good amount on the used market before I ever seriously consider it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Still waiting on Fuji to make that X series monochrome camera that was rumoured a few years back. I think Ken, the Angry Photographer guy was convinced they were gonna do one but judging by a lot of his other content pretty much since COVID hit, he's gone full-on into bonkers territory so I'd take what he has to say with a pinch of salt and then some...

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

What's the benefit of a monochrome camera to just setting the inbuilt filter settings to monochrome?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Mega Comrade posted:

What's the benefit of a monochrome camera to just setting the inbuilt filter settings to monochrome?

Bayer, X-Trans, etc, all have little tiny color filters over each photosite. Monochrome sensors don't. So, they're more light sensitive while they also deal with higher ISOs with less noise (since the signal:noise ratio is always a bit better w/o a demosaic pass).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Well now I know, thanks.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

:words:

But at $6k the Monochrome is just ridiculous for a black and white only camera. Gonna have to wait a few years and see it come down in price a good amount on the used market before I ever seriously consider it.

Ya - through a friend, I know someone selling theirs for $4500 (the one I’m borrowing). It’s got some light wear on the body but nothing catastrophic. The whole unit was recently CLA’ed. Part of the reason for the lower price is that it’s a gray market item so you don’t get the standard Leica warranty process.

Anyway, I’ll post some stuff after I have a little time to experiment with it. If I like it, I’ll probably buy it.

I shoot the majority of my stuff in BW - partly because I find it more useful for reviewing photos on the back LCD. Wondering if I’ll feel the same if I have no ability to get a color image out.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Bayer filters effectively throw away 2/3 of light by blocking the wrong colour photons at each pixel*. It's why sensor tech like foveon (all colours at each pixel) are the holy grail if only someone could invent a version that works without downsides.

* In practice is not quite that bad as the spectrum of each colour filter overlaps quite a bit.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 3, 2023

Thoren
May 28, 2008

rufius posted:

I have failed to find any that low. Seems like the floor has been $6500 and that was for a beat up one. They seem to run a 10-15% markup relative to the 10-R.

A cursory glance on eBay says bidding is starting around $5000 and going up 20-30% from there. BIN deals are like $7500+.

Anyway - it’s a stupid amount of money.

My bad, I was going by Hong Kong prices. I had no idea it was so much more expensive elsewhere. Fortunately I live in Asia and a round trip flight is only like $150 right now.

I'd be tempted to get the M10M over the Q2M if I actually had Leica glass. Goddamn those lenses are expensive.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 3, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Q2M comes with a fixed lens, glass included.

I think that's why the Q series is so popular, you're getting a high quality setup for way less than an M body and the same lens.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
One thing to keep in mind with a black and white sensor (if you're not accustomed to b&w film photography) is that you miss out on some of the options when converting from color to black and white, like you can't adjust how bright or dark different colors will come out. Your only way to do that is by sticking a color filter on the lens, which is totally cool and good, but it does cut into light transmission.

I have a Q2 Monochrom, and I keep an orange filter on it a lot of the time. I don't mind a lot of noise, since it's just not as ugly in b&w.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

frytechnician posted:

I think Ken, the Angry Photographer guy was convinced they were gonna do one but judging by a lot of his other content pretty much since COVID hit, he's gone full-on into bonkers territory so I'd take what he has to say with a pinch of salt and then some...

One more reason to continue to ignore Ken Rockwell sounds good to me.

Re. the Q2, goddamn that's both a nice looking camera and hilariously out of reach for most people (myself included).

On Fuji usability, yeah I kinda agree. I used to shoot Canon, now I shoot Fuji. The gap between Canon's intuitive menus and Fuji's "put everything in a massive list" approach is about the same as the gap from Fuji to Canon sensors, just in the opposite direction.

Yes they give you a myriad of ways to customize it but that's part of the problem; there's at least 3 different ways to customize the drat things (presets, Q-menu (which itself can be customized) and My Menu).

Don't get me wrong I enjoy using it and have no regrets about selling the Canon, but I'm strictly doing this as a hobby and mostly do landscapes so I'm rarely in a hurry.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thoren posted:

My bad, I was going by Hong Kong prices. I had no idea it was so much more expensive elsewhere. Fortunately I live in Asia and a round trip flight is only like $150 right now.

I'd be tempted to get the M10M over the Q2M if I actually had Leica glass. Goddamn those lenses are expensive.

I guess it's time for a vacation to Hong Kong/Singapore/Thailand. Not super excited about a 14 hour flight and definitely getting the rona but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
What % of a discount do you guys think I should offer on my two beater Sony A7's?

#1 is my original one, I've had it since launch. Sensor is immaculate, but I dropped it in NZ five years ago and broke the back LCD (and the ISO dial is now pretty fiddly). It otherwise works fine.

#2 I got to semi-replace it, I bought it secondhand and didn't realise the sensor had a bunch of cleaning marks on it. They don't seem to affect image quality.

I've also got an official Sony grip, and a Zeiss 24-70 that was on #1 when it dropped. It mounts on both the A7s (a little tightly) but not on the A7rII I tried it on.

rufius posted:

I guess it's time for a vacation to Hong Kong/Singapore/Thailand. Not super excited about a 14 hour flight and definitely getting the rona but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Unless things have changed, Thailand has pretty crap prices on electronics (import duty, although I think if you fill out some paperwork you can get this back as a tourist?). The other two are good bets though.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 3, 2023

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I have a Q2 Monochrom, and I keep an orange filter on it a lot of the time. I don't mind a lot of noise, since it's just not as ugly in b&w.

Sweet. Do you use any other filters? I was thinking about getting a red one since I like the Fujifilm ACROS +R simulation. People here in Southeast Asia can be pretty dark-skinned though. I'm also interested in Green but I can't quite understand the use case. It doesn't seem to brighten greens the same way a red filter brightens reds.

rufius posted:

I look forward to your street photography vlogs from Pattaya, Thailand.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Thoren posted:

Sweet. Do you use any other filters? I was thinking about getting a red one since I like the Fujifilm ACROS +R simulation. People here in Southeast Asia can be pretty dark-skinned though. I'm also interested in Green but I can't quite understand the use case. It doesn't seem to brighten greens the same way a red filter brightens reds.

I only have the orange, but I’m curious to try red, too.

I think the thing with green is because human eyes are so sensitive to green relative to other colors that we expect green objects to look bright anyway, so when you use one on foliage, it just looks intuitively correct.

Because the sensor or film doesn’t have that bias, greenery can come out looking weirdly dark otherwise.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Unless things have changed, Thailand has pretty crap prices on electronics (import duty, although I think if you fill out some paperwork you can get this back as a tourist?). The other two are good bets though.

Ya - I only mention Thailand because I have family on my mom’s side there. Hong Kong is for the shopping.

Thoren posted:

I look forward to your street photography vlogs from Pattaya, Thailand.

Lol absolutely not. No vlogs ever. Just end me if I ever post that.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Thailand is actually a great country to buy used film cameras and bespoke camera accessories.

https://www.facebook.com/lineandrollbkk/

I got a custom length rope strap from these guys and it's been great. They even put peak design anchors on it.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

powderific posted:

I don't really use AF for video so I don't know, but it's a thing many people like so figured I'd mention. If you wanna try it out, you could rent one for round $100 to get a feel for whether it's gonna do what you want. Might be worth it if you've only done phones and gopros.

Trip report: I'm returning the GH6 to B&H. The AF was in fact annoying, but the killer was the apparently well-known "streaking" issues, where reflections could cause magenta/green streaks across the video at certain ISOs. Immediately had a shot ruined by it; not gonna tolerate that from a camera at this price point.

So now I'm back to shopping. Looking pretty hard at the Sony video-centric cameras. Drooling over the A7S iii but it's definitely outside the budget.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What about an FX30? That'd get you the 120fps you're looking for and is a good bit cheaper. It's APS-C, but if you were cool with micro 4/3 seems like that'd still work for you. Opens up some smaller/cheaper lenses too.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Fuji has some lenses on sale if you got money to burn.

https://www.fujirumors.com/surprising-price-drops-on-selected-fujinon-xf-lenses-not-listed-on-new-official-fujifilm-deals/

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nice - I literally just bought an XF 33mm a week ago. Called the local camera store and asked if I could get the discount and they're gonna honor it. $100 bucks back for me.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

I just bought an XT-5 with a 35mm 1.4, the lens was on sale at the time and now it isnt!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KEH is lowballing me lol. The original quote was $300 more than the final quote.....Just a few things were "excellent" instead of "excellent +" so that dropped the price apparently.

I'm tempted to make them send it all back and just sell the poo poo myself, but I have the Leica Q on hold with them, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

KEH is lowballing me lol. The original quote was $300 more than the final quote.....Just a few things were "excellent" instead of "excellent +" so that dropped the price apparently.

I'm tempted to make them send it all back and just sell the poo poo myself, but I have the Leica Q on hold with them, ugh.

fwiw; I've had this happen 100% of the times I've sent to KEH
and 0% of the times I've sent to MPB (in fact, twice they've upgraded my ratings)

YMMV; but for selling (And frankly, most of my buying) I've moved to MPB and been really pleased