Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Hey, be nice: the characters respond to that by saying 'even if the cryptic statement from the suspicious guy is true, what does it matter?'

then they walk around in circles on Valentia for a while until the plot happens off screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blaziken386 posted:

finished game

game good??

I love how the final map does the same thing they did with Shadows of Valentia, where every character you deploy has a unique dialogue line for it.

now the question is, do I replay it on hard... or maddening??

hard is a really nice difficulty if you're looking for a balance between brain and breeze. It feels sort of like the enemies are a little tougher than the GBA hard modes, but the map objectives are a lot simpler and you have rewinds, so on balance it's a bit easier than like, FE6 hard or Hector Hard.

Maddening is kind of a weird place for me. Idk if it's just because I've played a lot of fire emblem but it feels like it's kind of easy in the early game (relative to other top difficulties that is) and then when the enemies promote it suddenly turns into new mystery where you have like four competent units and are trying to piece together some way to make each turn work with some combination of emblems, staves, dances, and the four people in your army with real stats

One thing that I think is truer in this game than most fire emblems is the power of snowballing; pouring resources into a unit early to get them ahead of the level curve (which causes them to gain even more xp as they become more and more reliable) is always a fine strategy but it feels especially important here. If I were to play maddening again I'd probably set up a specific list of units I intend to use long term and try to feed them experience whenever possible, instead of just going with the flow.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i caved and bought the DLC for second playthrough shenanigans - DLC that gives bonuses always feels too OP to use on a first playthrough, so i keep those vanilla - and I just got the cutscene for the Three Houses bracelet and oh, oh how I have missed these three. The fact that they show up out of the bracelet already bickering? Perfect. :allears:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

i caved and bought the DLC for second playthrough shenanigans - DLC that gives bonuses always feels too OP to use on a first playthrough, so i keep those vanilla - and I just got the cutscene for the Three Houses bracelet and oh, oh how I have missed these three. The fact that they show up out of the bracelet already bickering? Perfect. :allears:

If you had the patience to wait til you got Byleth, the scene is extended even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkLmrqoqiGY&t=186s

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I didn't realise I was playing DLC when the 3h crew and tiki joined my gang until a story thing happened lol.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also their engage attack is powered up if you use it next to someone with the Emblem from their game next to them. So if you put Byleth next to Edelgard, her engage attack becomes Houses Unite+ and that gives you a free action afterward. Tiki will fully heal the ally, and either fully fill their engage meter or reset the timer if they are engaged if Marth is next to her.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My favorite part of the storytelling in this game is how Every 10 chapters the villains wipe out everything you've accomplished. As for the how, essentially the plot boils to 'gently caress you that's how'.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 2, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

oh, so tiki is just. incredibly british, huh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ChrisBTY posted:

My favorite part of the storytelling in this game is how Every 10 chapters the villains wipe out everything you've accomplished. As for the how, essentially the plot boils to 'gently caress you that's how'.

yeah chapter 10 was really cool

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I don't know if not getting to transform into a dragon ever is hosed up or a good choice tbh. I felt a bit betrayed by it

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Blaziken386 posted:

oh, so tiki is just. incredibly british, huh.

Yeah, FEH cranked it up immensely for some reason and here we are. accordingly, her bracelet spent a good chunk of my first run on jean to form the "why are you so british tho?" duo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
she was always british...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

That moment was extremely cool.

Oh wait if I do have something to criticize it's the music, it was never bad but it never really stood out. The most hype musical moments are just when the main FE theme kicks in, instead of how 3H has a bevy of amazing songs. Like for ch 25 I was extremely tempted to mute the ingame ost and play A Funeral for Flowers. A minor complaint but I feel worth mentioning. I also did like the end credits song.

Strong disagree, the soundtrack is badass. Tear Streaked is one of the best “climax map” tracks in the series and the Emblem remixes are ridiculous. I’ve only played Tiki’s paralogue so far but I didn’t get sick of the track for like the hour it took me to beat that map.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I swear I remember it being way less pronounced back in Awakening, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Augus posted:

yeah chapter 10 was really cool

Incredibly sick frankly.

Chapter 11 too

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Does tiki still do the accent when no one’s looking

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
At least it's better than when Inigo was suddenly British in Fates

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

ROFL Octopus posted:

Strong disagree, the soundtrack is badass. Tear Streaked is one of the best “climax map” tracks in the series and the Emblem remixes are ridiculous. I’ve only played Tiki’s paralogue so far but I didn’t get sick of the track for like the hour it took me to beat that map.

Bright Sandstorm is a fantastic track. The Solm arc is all about giving you a breather period after the big mid-game climax and the battle map music for that segment is a big part of that.

Falling Petals was great, too, and Last Engage does the traditional "remix the main theme for the final battle" thing and that's all I'm asking for there.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

so, upon restarting the game, i'm curious
when, exactly, is the intro cutscene supposed to take place? It can't be 1000 years ago, because all your friends are there + alear has blue hair. But it also can't be a flash-forward to the end of the game, because when you actually confront sombron, it's in a different place. When chapter 24 featured Surprise Time Travel, i thought that might've been leading up to this, but then you just get sent right back to the present anyways. So. When is it. Is it literally just a dream??

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Blaziken386 posted:

when, exactly, is the intro cutscene supposed to take place? It can't be 1000 years ago, because all your friends are there + alear has blue hair. But it also can't be a flash-forward to the end of the game, because when you actually confront sombron, it's in a different place. When chapter 24 featured Surprise Time Travel, i thought that might've been leading up to this, but then you just get sent right back to the present anyways. So. When is it. Is it literally just a dream??

Yeah this doesn't make any sense as an event that happened, if anything I interpreted it as a prophetic dream.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tired Moritz posted:

At least it's better than when Inigo was suddenly British in Fates

See I’m torn because on one hand I know it’s because the voice direction was basically nonexistent for Fates but on the other hand I’m always down for Liam O’Brien British™

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's really random on which classes F Alear gets the ponytail. Great Knight, Wolf Knight, Berserker, Sage. This permanently changes your hair to a ponytail in Somniel too regardless of the outfit so that may be important to some.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Blaziken386 posted:

The flashback scene after 24 where Past Alear defeated Sombron happens in the place leading up to the room where prologue Alear defeats Sombron: notice the pillars and the gate. (If chapter 3 is any indication, it may be Lythos Castle.) It's just on fire and the pillars are ruined, compared to the pristine appearance in the intro. Lumera specifically says "why are you here all by yourself" (rude: Marth was there), so I'm guessing what we saw in the intro was the publicized version: Alear gathered a group of heroes (who may have become the future royal families) and together with the Emblems, they attacked Sombron's forces and defeated the Fell Dragon together. The actual truth is that Alear and Marth did it by themselves. Maybe that's what the power of the Emblems was used for 1000 years ago? Would explain everything being so messed up.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Blaziken386 posted:

I figured it was like, a really distorted memory, since when it shows the flashback to Alear's actual fight with Sombron 1000 years ago, it's the same place but everything's on fire and they're still in their evil palette. Basically the "official" version of events where they were always a hero and not just the one Fell kid to realize being Sombron's evil lackey was a poo poo job and stumble into an out that didn't get them murdered by dad at the tail end of the war. The one sticking point is the royals, and my best guess there is "stand-ins for the founders of the nations or something, don't think too hard about why they're envisioned as identical to the modern eldest royal kids."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm not paying much attention so I just assumed the time crystal did it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Blaziken386 posted:

my interpretation is that it's a somewhat-accurate memory except lumera hosed with your brain when trying to un-fell you and part of that is that the currently alive good guys show up in your memories to subliminally encourage you to befriend them

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
As soon as I accepted the cheese of the story, the sincerity with which it is told charmed me. While I wouldn’t say it’s the most amazing, it’s serviceable for the most part and enough for it not to interfere with the gameplay.

Plus, the support writing is great.

EDIT: So Jean with Lineage gained experience much faster than I thought he would on Tiki’s paralogue so he’s already level 10. Should I continue using him till I get a Master Seal or should I wait until I get one so I can reclass him at 10?

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 2, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The journal entry for the dog is very sad

Dislikes: Everyone it has ever known until now has gone away

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tae posted:

[This meant that I ended up neglecting over half of my total roster—something that I rarely did in other Fire Emblem games.]

How to say you only played three houses without say you did

That Kotaku review really is atrocious (low-hanging fruit, I know). The guy clearly never played any of the older games. He claimed he played Fates and Echoes. He must not have even played Awakening, which still felt like the older games.

I also think that saying the writing in Engage is bad is a stupid criticism. The writing isn’t particularly meaningful or deep but it isn’t trying to be. It’s not like Fates where they thought they were writing something clever but failed miserably. I actually love the fact that support conversations are short and not particularly deep because I got so loving bored of them in Three Houses/Three Hopes. They went on and on foreverrrr and I’d much rather listen to a minute-long conversation about tea or whatever.

Edit: oh yeah and the whole “the bond rings are a gatcha! This is clearly heavily influenced by Heroes” is such insane mental gymnastics!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 2, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Is it actually possible to get the first village in chapter 13 or is it just scripted to destroy my minmaxing brain

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

Is it actually possible to get the first village in chapter 13 or is it just scripted to destroy my minmaxing brain

It is possible with a warp chain but it only has an elixer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That Kotaku review really is atrocious (low-hanging fruit, I know). The guy clearly never played any of the older games. He claimed he played Fates and Echoes. He must not have even played Awakening, which still felt like the older games.

I also think that saying the writing in Engage is bad is a stupid criticism. The writing isn’t particularly meaningful or deep but it isn’t trying to be. It’s not like Fates where they thought they were writing something clever but failed miserably. I actually love the fact that support conversations are short and not particularly deep because I got so loving bored of them in Three Houses/Three Hopes. They went on and on foreverrrr and I’d much rather listen to a minute-long conversation about tea or whatever.

Edit: oh yeah and the whole “the bond rings are a gatcha! This is clearly heavily influenced by Heroes” is such insane mental gymnastics!
its funny that they're so into the mobile comparison but dont even mention the actual directly lifted from heroes thing, the color coded weapon types that are visible on the map.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Zore posted:

It is possible with a warp chain but it only has an elixer.

okay they can die

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ungulateman posted:

Hey, be nice: the characters respond to that by saying 'even if the cryptic statement from the suspicious guy is true, what does it matter?'

then they walk around in circles on Valentia for a while until the plot happens off screen

Fair, and overall I found the batshit story extremely endearing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm continuing my own progress through the game, a few thoughts.

1. This game is definitely harder than 3H, even on Normal, and I have some habits to unlearn - particularly regarding just how dangerous enemy phases can be, at least early on. I can't just plonk a character in range of half a dozen enemies and smile calmly, at least not early on. In the meantime, the time crystal's getting a real workout.

2. What I'm finding I value Marth and Sigurd most for is the on-demand access to anti-whatever weapons without needing to actually pack them. Having a rapier and ridersbane in my pocket, especially when they let a character reverse their normal weapon triangle (Alear with Sigurd) or give them range options they wouldn't normally have (Etie with Marth), has been a huge boon.

3. The description of the womens' swimsuits noting that this design leaves weird tan lines made me giggle.

4. My brothers and sisters in Lumera what the hell is wrong with you wackadoodles. After getting C supports for Alear and almost everyone on the team, I'm amazed Alear hasn't run screaming for the hills.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
One of the later lords is pretty normal but I still think he’s lowkey dumb as poo poo if the C rank is the first time he’s had the “you’re not actually a worthless piece of poo poo” conversation with his little bro considering Alcryst wears that poo poo on his sleeve next to his noblesse oblige.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Last Celebration posted:

One of the later lords is pretty normal but I still think he’s lowkey dumb as poo poo if the C rank is the first time he’s had the “you’re not actually a worthless piece of poo poo” conversation with his little bro considering Alcryst wears that poo poo on his sleeve next to his noblesse oblige.

Its not, Alcryst just has serious issues internalizing it.

They also have a bit of a weird dynamic because Alcryst was their father's clear favorite despite Diamant trying to be 'the perfect son' and it gets pretty interesting once you dig into the Brodia support pile.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cythereal posted:

4. My brothers and sisters in Lumera what the hell is wrong with you wackadoodles. After getting C supports for Alear and almost everyone on the team, I'm amazed Alear hasn't run screaming for the hills.

Alear is gritting through their teeth, thinking "well, you'd have to be at least a little bit crazy to go on a globetrotting adventure to save the world" as they throw yet another weirdo into their ranks

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Vander and the twins are the elite guard who have been watching over Alear as she sleeps right? So does this mean there's been entire generations of guards who have spent their whole lives saying to Lumera "She's still asleep my lady" day after day after day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Judge Tesla posted:

Vander and the twins are the elite guard who have been watching over Alear as she sleeps right? So does this mean there's been entire generations of guards who have spent their whole lives saying to Lumera "She's still asleep my lady" day after day after day?

Framme and Clanne claim to be the 33rd generation and by this point the whole endeavor is basically "Jehovah's Witnesses but for dragons".