Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm conflicted: on the one hand i would like to see the other paths the story can take but also, living with my choices would be
*thematically appropriate*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Samovar posted:

And, unless I mis-read it, doesn't Thomas confess to killing EVERYONE? Not just Claus?

No, I'm pretty sure he claims he's only directly killed the previous abbot and Claus, and instigated the other murders.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

He is really vague about who killed Otto. For the Baron it's heavily implied the priest didn't personally kill him, but with Otto it's really ambiguous and he may well have done it himself. Although from what has been posted about the Act II conversation in the inn, which I didn't have time for in the game, Hanna is also a pretty strong suspect.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Thomas said that he's the one who asked Otto to meet him by the Rathaus, but it's implied that it's still someone else who did the deed. I can't remember, does the Act 2 notes mention a time and a place when Otto would be alone ?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yes, they do. They all say, "The Rathaus. After St. John's Fire."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't know if it's intended to be read this way but it strongly seems to me that the preponderance of evidence points towards Lucky being the killer in act 1, and Hannah being the killer in Act 2.This is kind of unfortunate as Lucky is such a pillar of the community and Hannah, other than being kind of personally abrasive and selfish, doesn't really have a negative impact on the town (unlike basically every other Act 2 suspect.) There's decent reasons not to finger either one of these characters but it also sucks to just like, throw someone else in their place for abstract "the town will be better off" reasons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Impermanent posted:

I don't know if it's intended to be read this way but it strongly seems to me that the preponderance of evidence points towards Lucky being the killer in act 1, and Hannah being the killer in Act 2.This is kind of unfortunate as Lucky is such a pillar of the community and Hannah, other than being kind of personally abrasive and selfish, doesn't really have a negative impact on the town (unlike basically every other Act 2 suspect.) There's decent reasons not to finger either one of these characters but it also sucks to just like, throw someone else in their place for abstract "the town will be better off" reasons.

I agree about Lucky in Act 1 -- it's almost a slam dunk -- but the costume evidence in Act 2 points strongly towards Guy.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
gently caress I missed all of that evidence and now i need to replay/make my wife play.

Also this game rules and I love it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bone emulator posted:

I'm conflicted: on the one hand i would like to see the other paths the story can take but also, living with my choices would be
*thematically appropriate*

I'd really like a mod that let me make fixed saves at the end of each Act ,so I didn't have to do a full replay of act 1 to try again in act 2 or 3.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I agree about Lucky in Act 1 -- it's almost a slam dunk -- but the costume evidence in Act 2 points strongly towards Guy.

What's the evidence for Lucky over the nun? As far as I'm aware they both have access to the Church?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

What's the evidence for Lucky over the nun? As far as I'm aware they both have access to the Church?

Lucky is strong and grumpy, the nun is chill and weak. The reason he's angry at the Baron is also arguably worse.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The real act 1 murderer for the true :tinfoil: heads is Wojslav

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

WarpedLichen posted:

I haven't done a replay to check it myself, but I saw someone post that there are buckets blocking the church doors at the time of the murder that are later seen outside Lucky's workshop.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I haven't done a replay to check it myself, but I saw someone post that there are buckets blocking the church doors at the time of the murder that are later seen outside Lucky's workshop.

also iirc the note found near the dead Baron talks about the two innocents, which is Lucky's topic

Also it would be fitting for the actual culprit to be a person you don't dislike for other reasons.

On my playthrough I didn't investigate Lucky so my strongest suspicion was Matilda because multiple people urged me not to accuse her. Would they do that if she was innocent?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I never figured out Lucky's exact motive. I followed him to the grave but I was never able to get more info out of him and never explicitly found out who they were or how the baron was responsible. Is it possible to get more info or was it intentionally left vague?

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW

Professor Beetus posted:

I never figured out Lucky's exact motive. Is it possible to get more info or was it intentionally left vague?

You can learn more.

Lucky had another daughter. The baron got her pregnant and she & the baby of complications.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Lucky's daughter tried to abort the pregnancy by herself after Agnes refused to help her but she presumably took too much of the medicine and there were complications.

WarpedLichen posted:

The suspected weapon of the nun (a shovel) doesn't fit the description that Florian makes of the wound, which was supposedly made by something round and not too big.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ol' Limber Legs posted:

You can learn more.

Lucky had another daughter. The baron got her pregnant and she & the baby of complications.

Just to elaborate on this more:

He seduced her and the poor girl thought he was going to marry her.
When he found out she was pregnant he had zero concern with just abandoning her to nothing.
She decided to have an abortion but - I can't recall if she was too scared to ask or her mother actually wanted her to keep the baby - stole the abortion treatment from her mother, overdid it and it killed her too.
As an unmarried, pregnant suicide, she wasn't permitted to be buried in the Church, meaning Lucky and Agnes had to bury her out by the old salt mine.
The baron didn't give a poo poo, continued to come and go as he pleased, go after other women, AND was getting to wine and dine up at the abbey which is supposed to be the moral authority in the land.
From memory, her parents both were willing to support her and didn't blame her at all, which made the already devastating death all the more devastating for them.

Edit:

X_Toad posted:

The suspected weapon of the nun (a shovel) doesn't fit the description that Florian makes of the wound, which was supposedly made by something round and not too big.

I found it interesting that another suspect - Ottilia - did have a probable murder weapon that fit the wound, had plenty of motive, and the Inquisitor himself made it clear that age and infirmity didn't disqualify people from suspicion in his eyes... but I truly believe she wasn't the murderer, because she straight up said she was not only glad he was dead but wishes she could have been the one to do it, and if she did she'd have no qualms about telling anybody and didn't give a poo poo if she got killed because of it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 18, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Act 1 murder also the blood spatter by the baron's death strongly implicates lucky. It would match his method of killing fish. No other murder weapon accurately fits. The other blunt instrument we have testimony against from the people who see ferenc doing rituals.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Impermanent posted:

Act 1 murder also the blood spatter by the baron's death strongly implicates lucky. It would match his method of killing fish. No other murder weapon accurately fits. The other blunt instrument we have testimony against from the people who see ferenc doing rituals.

Oh dang

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Impermanent posted:

Well *I* missed that testimony so it's okay. If I didn't hear the exculpatory evidence then I didn't send an innocent man to die terrified and begging :) shoulda been nicer to me bucko!!!

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

SexyBlindfold posted:

Well *I* missed that testimony so it's okay. If I didn't hear the exculpatory evidence then I didn't send an innocent man to die terrified and begging :) shoulda been nicer to me bucko!!!

During my playthrough, I had lunch at Smokey's on the day of the execution. So when that bombshell got dropped, my reaction was "Huh... Sucks for Ferenc, I guess... :imunfunny:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Metroid Fitzgerald posted:

During my playthrough, I had lunch at Smokey's on the day of the execution. So when that bombshell got dropped, my reaction was "Huh... Sucks for Ferenc, I guess... :imunfunny:"

I didn't have lunch at Smokey's on that playthrough, but I did confront Ferenc with everything I knew, and he did frantically admit that he was trying to perform magic but insisted the blood he used was his own. Finding out when it was posted in this thread that there was eyewitness testimony proving that was true horrified me, especially considering how the resolution of that act played out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hah - a very small and all-in-all unimportant observation - the inhabitants of Tassing proper complain about the way that the village floods in heavy rainfall... But obviously it would, if it is built according to the layout of the old Roman settlement that had a functioning aqueduct to redistribute rainfall.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I played the game when it was first released, but didn’t get that far because I just don’t play a lot of games these days. But I finally got around to it again, and finished it earlier today, was a great game.

At first I played it like I normally play these games, I was invested in the main story but not really the characters, by the third chapter of the game I really cared for all the people in the town, and I was regretting not talking to all of them early in the game.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Game owns.

Act 2 spoilers/questions:

If i blame Martin/Jobst, does the revolt end up starting in a different way?
I blamed Guy and he hid with Lenhard in the mill and got his rear end burnt.
I guess that wouldn't happen with Jobst since Lenhard tries to blame him?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Pretty sure the event at the mill happens no matter what you do. Which, yeah, makes more sense in some paths than others.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Act 2: Is there a bug in the game regarding Aedoc's medicine? A friend says he cannot ask Gertrude about the flower and the quest does not update.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

George Rouncewell posted:

Game owns.

Act 2 spoilers/questions:

If i blame Martin/Jobst, does the revolt end up starting in a different way?
I blamed Guy and he hid with Lenhard in the mill and got his rear end burnt.
I guess that wouldn't happen with Jobst since Lenhard tries to blame him?

Act 2: Accusing Hannah felt the most narratively satisfying to me because you can learn that she is having an affair with Lenhard, so her rushing off to the mill is slightly more appropriate than the others. Although it does still make sense; the miller is the one person in town completely unsympathetic to the peasants and their desire to revolt.

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

The family came in just when I was experiencing the end. Had to do it again just to gather my thoughts.

This is a masterpiece, probably in my top5 with Ultima Underworld, Outer Wilds, Betrayal at Krondor and Star Control 2.

It just made me care, thanks ropekid.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Rockpapershotgun.com interviewed Josh Sawyer about fonts in Pentiment.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/how-obsidian-entertainment-resurrected-dead-fonts-for-pentiment

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Playing the game right now. Read the thread up until about page 15 where people are getting closer to where I am and stopped.
I'm in the middle of Act 3 right now. It's not really my cup of tea, but I'm enjoying it, and my husband is way smarter than me, so he loves it.
I'm guessing Sister Amelie is the big bad. I don't even know if she has a door in her room, so the "grave" could be used to move around. We did see a ghost wearing white. She likely left a burned book in the library and was herself in the fire, thus explaining the script. And, of course, she did predict some events, and premonitions aren't real
However only from this thread did I learn that I'll never know if I'm right. I'm 99% sure though, as by third act half the people we know are dead, and half have moved on, leaving like 3 people we knew throughout the game in the town

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vookatos posted:

Playing the game right now. Read the thread up until about page 15 where people are getting closer to where I am and stopped.
I'm in the middle of Act 3 right now. It's not really my cup of tea, but I'm enjoying it, and my husband is way smarter than me, so he loves it.
I'm guessing Sister Amelie is the big bad. I don't even know if she has a door in her room, so the "grave" could be used to move around. We did see a ghost wearing white. She likely left a burned book in the library and was herself in the fire, thus explaining the script. And, of course, she did predict some events, and premonitions aren't real
However only from this thread did I learn that I'll never know if I'm right. I'm 99% sure though, as by third act half the people we know are dead, and half have moved on, leaving like 3 people we knew throughout the game in the town

Not quite. You will learn who the threadpuller is, it’s just the individual murders that have no authorial “yes this person actually did it”.

Though you can absolutely determine who actually did the act 1 murder, the game simply won’t tell you if you were right is all. Act 2 is also fairly well triangulated but not the near certainty act 1 is

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 24, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You will (endgame spoilers) learn who the thread-puller is, but not who committed each murder.
Act 3 is a bit divisive, but it also has some of the best storytelling in the entire game.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not quite. You will learn who the threadpuller is, it’s just the individual murders that have no authorial “yes this person actually did it”.

Though you can absolutely determine who actually did the act 1 murder, the game simply won’t tell you if you were right is all. Act 2 is also fairly well triangulated but not the near certainty act 1 is

Yep, just finished the game. Was happy to learn that, considering I expected the game to go "Merry Christmas, the end"
The imagery in the final act, with the labyrinth burning gave me goosebumps. Reminded me of Signalis' use of one painting's variation.

So, here's a thing: I've completely hosed my check with Caspar in Act 2. Can Andreas die? I figured that if you tell Caspar to leave, maybe Andreas does die and instead Caspar returns?

Am pretty smug about getting it right, even if not completely, but my husband is the actual MVP of our playthrough considering he just loving called the mystery of the Mars Statue

Can you spoil this for me? I'm not likely to replay the game and with the amount of info that you can gather, it's clear that I didn't get 100% of it. Though I went with Ferenc and Guy

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If (Act 2 ending) Caspar leaves, Andreas gets burnt but survives and Caspar also survives. Counterintuitively, it is arguably a good outcome, although it's so gut-wrenching that I can't bring myself to do it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vookatos posted:

Yep, just finished the game. Was happy to learn that, considering I expected the game to go "Merry Christmas, the end"
The imagery in the final act, with the labyrinth burning gave me goosebumps. Reminded me of Signalis' use of one painting's variation.

So, here's a thing: I've completely hosed my check with Caspar in Act 2. Can Andreas die? I figured that if you tell Caspar to leave, maybe Andreas does die and instead Caspar returns?

Am pretty smug about getting it right, even if not completely, but my husband is the actual MVP of our playthrough considering he just loving called the mystery of the Mars Statue

Can you spoil this for me? I'm not likely to replay the game and with the amount of info that you can gather, it's clear that I didn't get 100% of it. Though I went with Ferenc and Guy

Act 1 is 100% Lucky. He’s the only one with means motive and ability. Ferenc literally could not have been the killer because the alleged murder weapon is A) covered in his own blood from a self mutilating ritual and B) was buried before Lorenz even arrived at the Abbey.
Ottila doesn’t have the strength, the Nun’s murder weapon does not fit the wound.

Lucky knew the secret passage, his daughter died of complications from an illicit pregnancy with the Duke, and has the strength to have actually killed the Duke in the way that it appears to have happened: there was no murder weapon, his head was bashed against the wall. In addition, the threadpuller note on the Duke matches the one given to Lucky. Father Thomas was clearly banking on Lucky being the most likely to act, the other three were insurance/hedging bets.

Further compounding this is that Lucky is the only one who shows neither fear nor remorse nor anger at his execution. Lucky is unambiguously the killer. The trouble is that knowing this doesn't make the decision any easier. While Lucky may be guilty as gently caress, the town also stands the most to lose if he's punished. He is a figurative and almost literal pillar of the community.

Also no, Andreas cannot actually die.

The Act 2 killer is most likely Hannah. She is transparently behaving as a woman who has killed and is afraid of being found out. But it’s not iron clad. Both she and Guy have strong motives to kill and a lot to lose if Otto lives.

Jobst meanwhile has no meaningful motive. His real identity doesn’t matter. There’s no one in Tassing who would care to act on that information. Martin was a poo poo.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 25, 2023

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Act 1 is 100% Lucky.
The Act 2 killer is most likely Hannah

Thanks! That was the only NPC I didn't actually investigate so I went with the one I just disliked the most. I've had SOME stuff on Act 2's NPC, but not enough, considering Guy (adding parenthesis so a 3 letter word isn't as obvious in the spoiler) is right there and it's way easier to uncover their stuff. And I didn't care for them, too.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ferenc literally could not have been the killer because the alleged murder weapon is A) covered in his own blood from a self mutilating ritual and B) was buried before Lorenz even arrived at the Abbey.

It isn’t buried before he arrives. It’s not buried before the following day. He makes the note on the first day but if you go to examine the grave it hasn’t been disturbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I understand lots of people feel dissatisfied with the fact it's not really a detective game. I feel like the game doesn't want you to concentrate on who really is the murderer. You don't solve the puzzle, you play as a specific character who is part of this world and has motives beyond learning the objective truths.

But maybe I'm not reading the subtext right. Though I think in videogames especially writers who use subtext are all cowards.