Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

good god you absolute loving dullards lol

never post again!

QoP is Xboxthreadpilled, idk about Feels

unrelated to video games: I got hearing aids and it turns out the world is real loud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If only there was, say, a typewriter you could use to manually save your game as needed

If you do a manual save it spawns you back at the same spot when you die.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Saving by checkpoints only is a relic that needs to go

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

imhotep posted:

How did easy allies not mention the last of us part 1 for best remake?

They had a long deliberation about it vs the previous Remaster, it just didn't make their top 5.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hector Delgado posted:

Saving by checkpoints only is a relic that needs to go

Only if the checkmarks are designed by one of the stupidest people to ever live... it's fine in most games.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's wrong with checkpoint saves lol. You'd rather open a menu and disrupt play than have it happen in the background?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

If you do a manual save it spawns you back at the same spot when you die.

That's how the Obsidian South Park game worked. They even went ahead and placed a collectable immediately after a checkpoint but right before a tough boss fight

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

good god you absolute loving dullards lol

never post again!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

What's wrong with checkpoint saves lol. You'd rather open a menu and disrupt play than have it happen in the background?

Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Doom 2016's checkpoint saves annoyed me because I liked to finish a battle and then hunt for secrets, but it only saves immediately after the fight so if you accidentally fall into the lava and die or something, you have to re-hunt for all the secrets. I can't remember if Doom Eternal had the same issue.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

JBP posted:

Uh, yeah I would, so when real life stuff happens I can save and deal with it without losing progress. Crazy, I know right?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hector Delgado posted:

Uh, yeah I would, so when real life stuff happens I can save and deal with it without losing progress. Crazy, I know right?

Press the PlayStation button.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

unrelated to video games: I got hearing aids and it turns out the world is real loud!
That rules :) Does everything sound clearer now?

Hearing is essential to so much of my day to day life. Like I'm finishing up an EP this week and I wouldn't be able to do that without hearing. I feel like I probably take my ability to hear for granted sometimes but I really, really shouldn't. It's so valuable to me.

Related to video games: the sound design in Dead Space is loving terrifying :ohdear:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

JBP posted:

I do this during monster Hunter quests when I can’t pause and I gotta do something, chances are I’m actually getting brutally murdered by something, but when I get back to the game I’m at camp and I usually finish the quest before time runs out. What I don’t know can’t hurt me

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

JBP posted:

Congratulations, this is got to be the stupidest argument I've had in quite a while and that's saying something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The point is that auto saves need to be designed so that it doesn't make you do unnecessary poo poo again in a game that you already did that adds nothing to your experience of playing the game. And most are! That is why this one awful one really stood out to me.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Phenotype posted:

do any titles even hit 4k60 without turning off all the ray tracing and poo poo?

Yeah, Ratchet and Clank and Miles Morales. So, one single studio has figured it out.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hector Delgado posted:

Congratulations, this is got to be the stupidest argument I've had in quite a while and that's saying something.

It’s smarter than you think! In Yakuza 3 and 4 remastered it’s the only way to pause cutscenes. :v:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah using the PlayStation button to suspend games is a reliable method that works across every title. How is that dumb?

I guess don’t do it if your console is vertical or something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hector Delgado posted:

I agree this is a stupid argument, Hector Delgado.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, Ratchet and Clank and Miles Morales. So, one single studio has figured it out.

1440/60 4k/30, from what I can see. 1440p is plenty, though

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^ oh yeah, I guess it’s 1440p upscale to 4K. But aren’t most titles that advertise 4K? Very few native titles.

Are there any requirements for the PlayStation collection besides owning a PS5 and subscribing to PS+? Because the store is still asking me to pay full price for Monster Hunter World.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That should be all you need. Try looking in the PS+ section of the menu not the store

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The store/ps+ stuff is the clumsiest thing ever. Not only is the subscription service and all the tiers confusing, but the sub page and the store page are really confusing to navigate. It took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to download GoT with the sub.

Every time I went to the ps+ page I’d go to the ‘games’ section and it’d just serve me the ‘Must Play’ category. I had to search it and then choose the version and then it let me download it.

Does the ps+ service offer a discount if you want to buy games before they leave the service?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

QoP is Xboxthreadpilled, idk about Feels

Congrats!

Forspoken is pretty fun, the writing and dialogue isn't great but at least it's not as like shrill and in your face as I feel like the later Borderlands games are for example. Doesn't tonally feel all that off from the spiders-man games I reckon. The bosses just hiss & roar instead of doing terlet puns at you

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

haveblue posted:

That should be all you need. Try looking in the PS+ section of the menu not the store

Ah, guess I need to do that from the console itself? I’ll try when I get home. Thanks.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Does the ps+ service offer a discount if you want to buy games before they leave the service?

Nope. Also have to leave the service before you can buy at full price.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

So for PC players out there is it true that DualSenseX allows buttons to be remapped as keyboard macros? Because that would be pretty baller combined with paddles, profiles, and deadzone adjustment on the Edge.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Boy I'm sure glad sony said they were cracking down on trophy bait games, now to browse the store and..oh nevermind there's yet another loving jumping food game by that one rear end in a top hat, released two days ago

Their 'cracking down' was to default the New Games section to best sellers instead of most recently released.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Looking up Monster Hunter World through the PS+ tab on the PS5 dash did allow me to claim it for free, but hey it's kind of a poo poo interface to browse. So dumb that you can't access the catalog via the web-site or app like every other PS+ offering. I've actually looked up MHW a few times thinking I could get it for free, then thought I was mistaken when the site wanted me to pay. It wasn't until I saw it on the list of games being removed in May that I realized something was up for sure.

Anyway, cheers to haveblue for pointing out the intended method. Looking forward to finally dive into this.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mcmagic posted:

How in the gently caress did the checkpoint save right before the hardest fight in Callisto Protocol make it through QA? WTF?

QA has less power than you think and any "serious" changes will be outright discarded unless they specifically come up during playtests (at which point the dev bitches about the QA not raising that point)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

goblin week posted:

QA has less power than you think and any "serious" changes will be outright discarded unless they specifically come up during playtests (at which point the dev bitches about the QA not raising that point)

QA databases famously have a frequency field that says Sometimes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

goblin week posted:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's AS DESIGNED.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Oh yeah the other day someone asked how star citizen still has funding and that surely there wouldn’t be any new people finding it, but I’ve been reading the star citizen thread and apparently theyve been getting more funding than ever in the last few years lol.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

imhotep posted:

Oh yeah the other day someone asked how star citizen still has funding and that surely there wouldn’t be any new people finding it, but I’ve been reading the star citizen thread and apparently theyve been getting more funding than ever in the last few years lol.

e: sorry again, I said I'd go read other threads. I'm gonna go read other threads. Carry on.

Oh, oh noooo.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 2, 2023

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Fix posted:

e: sorry again, I said I'd go read other threads. I'm gonna go read other threads. Carry on.

Oh, oh noooo.

Idk what happened, but I just checked and it was you who asked lol

But anyways I just thought that was insane and shows how disconnected I am with reality when it comes to what games people are spending their money on

imhotep fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 2, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

imhotep posted:

When prophecy fails.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z5Z8KgjqMU

Can't wait.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

figures the OP of a thread dedicatted to a Sony console would be a thin-skinned poster :hehe: