Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If housecats were made 5x bigger they would likely steal and murder children from the local school to leave on their owners beds as gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

All told the UK isn’t that important. Why do we think our politicians should have an opinion on the Middle East, or care what that is? It’s not like we’re going to send a couple of battalions over to do policing or w/e, there is literally no power to back any of this up.

Like if there’s one thing Brexit should have really driven home, it’s that the UK isn’t very important and doesn’t have a say on what the rest of the world does any more. We had our time in the sun, and we have had 3-4 generations now to get over not having it any more.

Then again I’m an emigrant of 15 years now so maybe I’m missing something.

We sell huge amounts of arms to Israel.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

All Cats Are Bastards

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

If housecats were made 5x bigger they would likely steal and murder children from the local school to leave on their owners beds as gifts.
Wasn't that what the Coalition government wanted to do to ensure regular dead child delivery manage deer populations?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mega Comrade posted:

imo that depends on whether you mean 5x height x 5x width x 5x depth or just 5x weight. also it's possible some gifted children would still be alive when found

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't that what the Coalition government wanted to do to ensure regular dead child delivery manage deer populations?

Yes the reintroduction of wild cats has been considered. Personally I think its a great idea. We yearly cull hundreds and hundreds of deer because of the damage they do and we made all their natural predators extinct. The reintroduction of cats like Lynx would be a good start to repairing the damage we have done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Saw that King Charles III was trending, and even though he's not dead I was pleasantly surprised to see that Australia are not putting him on their money. Seems like their heart really isn't in this Empire thing anymore

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Culling the deer and eating them sounds like a better idea than feeding them to large cats. For both humans and the deer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'd love to have a big cat, just feeding my cats a lot of food seem to top them out around 7kg.

Lynxes already exist where I am btw

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Have Y'all ever actually trained your cats? Because you know they can be trained. Just only positive reinforcement works.

Don't feed them anywhere but their bowls, refuse affection or attention if they claw you or jump where they shouldn't etc.

Also don't let them outside. Indoor cats live longer, happier, less stressful lives and are easier to train.

At most this is what I get when one of them is needy.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Tigers are way bigger than that, and they hardly ever kill anyone but their owner. Admittedly, they do kill their owner pretty often, about 1 per year in the US. But if someone put me in a cage without asking, i might well lash out too.

So letting tigers roam the street like cats seems pretty solid evidence-based policy.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mebh posted:

Also don't let them outside. Indoor cats live longer, happier, less stressful lives and are easier to train.

Who the hell is going to poo poo in my neighbours garden then?

I'd struggle to climb over the wall regularly

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Mebh posted:

Have Y'all ever actually trained your cats? Because you know they can be trained.

This is just your cat tricking you into a sense of false security.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skarsnik posted:

Who the hell is going to poo poo in my neighbours garden then?

I'd struggle to climb over the wall regularly

You may have lost the primate climbing instinct, but you haven't lost the primate ability to poo poo in your hand and throw it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Checking on a delivery from Royal Mail and notice from the banner message that their international shipping is still hosed by that cyber attack. Really feel it's undersold how devastating this has been.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Checking on a delivery from Royal Mail and notice from the banner message that their international shipping is still hosed by that cyber attack. Really feel it's undersold how devastating this has been.

Luckily most UK businesses shipping internationally seemed to switch to DPD or whathaveyou some years back. Still, it's ridiculous

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ironically it seems the reason for this prolonged outage is that it's a Russian ransomware operation and sanctions means they can't just pay up.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Looks like the Dartmoor National Park Authority is going to appeal that wildcamping ban.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-64426634

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

You may have lost the primate climbing instinct, but you haven't lost the primate ability to poo poo in your hand and throw it
What really is it to be human, if not to throw poo poo at other animals?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-champion-stripped-his-title-after-alleged-poo-fight-hotel/

Pokemon champion stripped of his title after alleged 'poo fight' in hotel

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sadly, in this, as in many other areas of living our best lives, other animals have us beat.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
If people pick up their dog poo then what is mine supposed to eat during her walks? You selfish pricks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With sufficient dogs eating each other's poop and pooping in turn I believe it would be possible to create an over parity system of poopetual motions.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Why?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

"I was going to pick it up on the way back"

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
Warming the bench for a weary walker.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kecske posted:

"I was going to pick it up on the way back"

This was early morning and the bag had frosted.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is what power grants you. Israel is openly fascist now. Their finance minister has literally said "I'm a fascist homophobe",

Did he literally say that did he

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DrProudman/status/1621097248733151234

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Wrong thread

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Microplastics posted:

Yes.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8f-ff7f47c70000

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Microplastics posted:

Literally

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8f-ff7f47c70000

quote:

“I’m a fascist homophobe, but I’m a man of my word,” adding that “I won’t stone gays, and you won’t feed me shrimp.”

Channel 4 are having fun

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1620909467285028864?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Goddamn and there I thought op was exaggerating :stonklol:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

In this case it seems like a department plagued by wanky management speak asked some people for suggestions to replace some of it with less problematic wanky management speak, some of them went a bit excessive, then the tabloids did their usual trick of pretending that the woke language gods hath decreed that everyone has to talk like this now.

Normal people weren't going around talking like "we need to grandfather in the whitespace, I'll get some braves on it" anyway, so it's not like anything of value has been lost.

I'm resurrecting this post because mot only is it 100% accurate * it's also timely as a post is going around Twitter about removing violent language which means it's another attempt to galvanise people against general improvements to language.

* = And 87% hilarious.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

imagine honestly trying to deny that the majority of people in this country are poo poo cunts in the UK thread.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Student Loan talk.

Ok, I got a mail a few days ago, saying I overpaid my student loan and they want me to contact them.
My student loans from 20 years ago.

Anyone heard of this ever happening? Or is it some new phishing new thing.
Nothing is in the mail, they are the same company (Thesis) but no details, no amounts or such.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Goddamn and there I thought op was exaggerating :stonklol:

Israeli politics is always stupider and more disgusting than you'd expect.

Really want to forcefeed that guy some shrimp tho

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

happyhippy posted:

Student Loan talk.

Ok, I got a mail a few days ago, saying I overpaid my student loan and they want me to contact them.

Nothing is in the mail, they are the same company (Thesis) but no details, no amounts or such.

Check directly with SLC? I've never heard of it (though only recently started repaying my very small loan).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

See whereas a dog would have just face-bumped you repeatedly and maybe started whining but would not hurt you.
Yeah cats are pricks, I don't know where this 'they're not dangerous' stuff comes from when they carry some nasty loving infections on their claws if you don't disinfect them quickly. The only difference is they can't rip and tear, but if they could they absolutely would.

Half the problem with dogs is that people let them get away with play biting and jumping up as a puppy, and then when they get to full size suddenly it's not funny; but by that point the behaviour is ingrained, and that's when impatient owners abandon them.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

imo that depends on whether you mean 5x height x 5x width x 5x depth or just 5x weight. also it's possible some gifted children would still be alive when found
5x length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

happyhippy posted:

Student Loan talk.

Might be legit: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loan-overpayment-refund/

But best to check with them directly as mentioned above since phishing scammers might definitely see an opportunity there too.