Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Well, the Samsung Core i3 laptop I bought in 2015 seems to have just died.

ebuyer UK have this, which is in the right price range for me: Lenovo V15 G2 Ryzen 5 8GB 256GB SSD 15.6"

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't get it? Or any advice/recommendations on alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I can't comment on the build quality but in terms of spec it'll be fine for light office use and internet browsing and not much more. You'll probably want to upgrade the RAM to 16gb and pick up bigger SSD, but a quick internet search suggests that's pretty trivial to do yourself. The processor is decent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rascar Capac posted:

Well, the Samsung Core i3 laptop I bought in 2015 seems to have just died.

ebuyer UK have this, which is in the right price range for me: Lenovo V15 G2 Ryzen 5 8GB 256GB SSD 15.6"

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't get it? Or any advice/recommendations on alternatives?

This looks like a EU version of the Ideapad 3
https://smile.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Processor-Graphics-82KU0100US/dp/B09BG83Q5S?sa-no-redirect=1

I got my son the Gaming version with a 3050. It's solid, the battery is kinda crappy on his, this should be better but I wouldn't count on it for extended lengths of time. I think this would be good for quite a bit, the aGPU on the 5500U is pretty decent (Vega 7) so you can play a host of indie titles or even some AAA stuff on lower settings.

I agree adding 16GB is probably worthwhile, whether or not you need a bigger SSD is up to you, my laptops hardly use any disk space honestly.

That seems like a very good price for a decent-if-not-great machine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The IdeaPad 3 is sold in the EU as well, so I don't know what the deal is.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Thanks, I've ordered that laptop. I've got my 1TB SSD from the old one, so I'll be able to use that to supplement the storage.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

do you mean externally via an enclosure? Because your 2015 SSD might be mSATA not M.2, which I assume is what the new one will be.

A new 1TB ssd is only going to be like £50 though, assuming my rough conversion into your funny money is correct

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

bike tory posted:

do you mean externally via an enclosure? Because your 2015 SSD might be mSATA not M.2, which I assume is what the new one will be.

A new 1TB ssd is only going to be like £50 though, assuming my rough conversion into your funny money is correct

No, it's a Crucial MX500 that I bought last year, and should be fine in the new laptop's secondary drive slot.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Welp, the $200 Asus C100P chromebook I bought in 2017 that served me faithfully has finally reached end-of-life. It stopped receiving security updates about 2 years ago, and now the lack of app updates is finally breaking its usability.

Is there a go-to budget model for just web browsing and light typing these days? Priorities are good battery life and lightweight. Are Asus Chromebooks still considered good? Is 4GB RAM still considered "good enough" or will it choke and die?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Not a Children posted:

Welp, the $200 Asus C100P chromebook I bought in 2017 that served me faithfully has finally reached end-of-life. It stopped receiving security updates about 2 years ago, and now the lack of app updates is finally breaking its usability.

Is there a go-to budget model for just web browsing and light typing these days? Priorities are good battery life and lightweight. Are Asus Chromebooks still considered good? Is 4GB RAM still considered "good enough" or will it choke and die?

Not exactly budget but what you actually want is a macbook air with an M1, which you can find for $800. Battery life is 12+ hours in use, totally silent, USB-C charging and will be really fast for browsing and productivity stuff.

I don't know much about chromebooks, but this one seems like a good deal and I'd probably try to get 8GB if you can: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-14-touchscreen-chromebook-intel-core-m3-8100y-8gb-memory-64gb-emmc-silver/6512628.p

I believe there is a chromebook thread though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No. What he/she wants is a Chromebook, not an $800+ MacBook. JFC

Chromebook megathread

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Chromebook megathread

The only Chromebooks worth a drat are those that approach MacBook pricing, so it bears a mention.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

~Coxy posted:

The only Chromebooks worth a drat are those that approach MacBook pricing, so it bears a mention.
If by "approach" you mean "they cost more than the absolute lowest-cost ones, and as such, being technically closer to MacBook pricing, have *approached* it" then sure, but you can get a totally okay chromebook for 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of a MacBook, which most people wouldn't consider to be approaching. And also, for people who aren't into Macs, Macs suck. Sure the construction is nice and the battery behavior is good, but the operating system is a prick and some of the weird defaults like having the space bar sometimes type a period are annoying as heck.

Luckily for Apple, all the Chromebook manufacturers have got on board with about half of the annoying Mac behaviors, so the annoyingness gap is smaller than it could be.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

An M1 MacBook Air is a good decade long solution for someone who has been coasting along on a budget Chromebook for 7+ years, it's true. M1 is going to have support for a very long time

If you want a $250 Chromebook that's a thing you can still do. Look into which Chromebooks have the latest Chromebook support version do you can keep it as long as possible

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I love my $240 Lenovo Chromebook. 8GB and an 11th-gen i3.

Edit: Price is up at $300 now, c'est la vie.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 3, 2023

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Why not look at refurbished Macs? A few years ago my mother’s ancient Acer died and she needed a replacement. She only uses it to pay bills, some spreadsheet work, printing documents and light web browsing.

I ended up deciding to get her a refurb 2017 MacBook Air for like $600 from Best Buy. I taught her how to use it, how to use the built in Mac numbers and pages , use safari, connected her printer, etc. she’s been perfectly happy. It performs great, has no issues, and will hopefully last most of this decade.

*edit*

I should state I bought this device back in 2020 so to go along with the other comments, if you do end up getting a mac of any flavor, always go for at least the M1 option.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 3, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not everyone wants a Mac?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Not everyone wants a Mac?

I still think a $500 HP or Samsung laptop will be better than a Chromebook imo. I got something similar for my brother for Christmas because he hates macs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd far and away rather get an $800 new M1 than a refurb intel mac for $600. I don't know where M1 refurbs are yet, I'd guess they'd be starting to hit the market at this point, but with no fans there might just not be as many out there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would absolutely not buy an intel based mac at this point. Apple already dropped a slew of device support with Ventura, some of which were just over 6 years old at the time, and I would expect that situation to get worse as they push people to upgrade to Apple silicon.

Monterey's oldest supported machine was 2013. One year later, Ventura's oldest supported machine is 2017. The writing is on the walls for Intel macs.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Honestly, a Mac might be worth the stretch for me - other than home computing, I'm in their ecosystem, and I've witnessed 10+ year old macbooks working just fine. However, it's hard to justify $800 when I can get this Asus Chromebook for $170 from my local outlet. The big drawback is that it EOLs in 2026 - maybe by then a macbook with an M-chip will be a more trivial expense for me. Is there more to the cost-benefit analysis that I should be accounting for?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hadlock posted:

If you want a $250 Chromebook that's a thing you can still do. Look into which Chromebooks have the latest Chromebook support version do you can keep it as long as possible

The answer to this part of the question is the Thinkpad C13 or C14. They have support out through 2029/2030, respectively.

You can easily get a C13 for <$250 if you really just want it for browsing and text. 4GB RAM is slim these days, but if you don't need to have 10+ tabs open, it works well enough, and it's dirt cheap. Battery life of 6-7hrs isn't the best, but it's solidly usable for most people.

The C14 gets notably better battery life (10+hrs) and moderately better performance, but the $500 version still has 4GB of RAM. If you can accept open-box, you can pretty reliably get the 8GB/256GB versions for around $550, but that seems overkill for "web and typing" work to me.

I have a C13 that serves admirably for couch-surfing duties. It's not going to impress anyone with its excessive speed or multi-day battery, but it's built Thinkpad tough, the keyboard is very good, it's a touch-screen, it's suitably light, etc., and it cost me $200 brand new. So yeah.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Chromebook megathread

Not a Children posted:

Honestly, a Mac might be worth the stretch for me - other than home computing,

Lol at that person being weirdly aggressive about me bringing up a laptop alongside a chromebook in the laptop thread and then you being way more open about it.

Anyway, first off that Asus 2-in-1 with 8GB of ram for $179 is a white hot deal so it'll be hard to justify it differently. I think you're doing the right calculus overall though. A MBA will be a better experience, live in its ecosystem (if that's what you like), have a really good shot at lasting a good while, and in general would just be a more pleasant machine to live with. However, that's a big price premium difference, my recommendation would be different if you were comparing a MBA against that Asus at MSRP.

I also will (respectfully) differ with DrDork slightly in that while chromeOS buys you a lot more out of your RAM than Windows or probably even MacOS, I feel like you'd quickly wish you stepped up to 8GB especially if you're planning on keeping it for the long haul (You can probably stretch past EOL depending how you feel about being behind on some security patches).

I think you'd be happier going with 8GB and honestly at $179 I find it hard to believe you'd regret buying that Asus.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I don't disagree that 8GB is a better experience overall than 4GB for a Chromebook. Just was pointing out that 4GB is just fine if your entire use case is limited to a single-digit number of web pages and Word or whatever. If you start talking dozens of tabs, games, using a bunch of Android Apps, etc., then yeah you can exceed 4GB pretty quick. But that's not how everyone uses 'em.

The answer also was explicitly about the longest-supported Chromebooks worth looking at. The C443 linked--while I agree it's a great deal--EOL's in 2026. The tradeoff between +4GB RAM vs +3 years of support is left up to the person purchasing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This looks like price mistakes but Tiger direct has some massive price cuts on the M2 Macbook pro. The winner is this guy for $949
https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1345016&CatId=4360&csid=_86

quote:

Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro (2022) - Apple M2 chip with 8-Core CPU, 10-Core GPU, 24GB Unified Memory, 512GB SSD, 2560x1600 Retina Display, 2x Thunderbolt/USB 4, WiFi, macOS Monterey, Space Gray - Z16R0005

The 16GB version is also $849 here:
https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1344948&CatId=4360&csid=_86

Good chance the orders get cancelled (no loss), but if not that's absurdly cheap.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lockback posted:

Not exactly budget but what you actually want is a macbook air with an M1, which you can find for $800. Battery life is 12+ hours in use, totally silent, USB-C charging and will be really fast for browsing and productivity stuff.

I don't know much about chromebooks, but this one seems like a good deal and I'd probably try to get 8GB if you can: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-14-touchscreen-chromebook-intel-core-m3-8100y-8gb-memory-64gb-emmc-silver/6512628.p

I believe there is a chromebook thread though.

I got one of those ASUS 2-in-1s on a similar or better deal last year, and it was so good I bought a second one for my partner. As long as you don't expect it to be a gaming machine or whatever it is an absolutely astounding deal.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I got one of those ASUS 2-in-1s on a similar or better deal last year, and it was so good I bought a second one for my partner. As long as you don't expect it to be a gaming machine or whatever it is an absolutely astounding deal.

Yeah I was just posting in the display thread about how you can get the Asus 2-in-1's with 4K OLED (or 2.8k 120hz OLED) screens as open-box from Best Buy for under $800 if you keep an eye out.

Mine held up for about 3 years but it was done in by crap soldering on the power port. Some of the newer models can charge up from any of the USB-C ports so I'll definitely try for that in the future so I'm not at the mercy of a single charge port. It's the same thing that happened to my Asus Rog smartphone, except that it has two USB-C charge ports and one burned out after 4 years so I'm able to use the second one still.

edit: Oh, you're talking about Chromebook tier. Well, the OLED 2-in-1 are really nice for the pricepoint too

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Lockback posted:

This looks like price mistakes but Tiger direct has some massive price cuts on the M2 Macbook pro. The winner is this guy for $949
https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1345016&CatId=4360&csid=_86

The 16GB version is also $849 here:
https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1344948&CatId=4360&csid=_86

Good chance the orders get cancelled (no loss), but if not that's absurdly cheap.

That is stupid cheap. So sad to miss out of it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RoboBoogie posted:

That is stupid cheap. So sad to miss out of it.

As mentioned it'll probably not be fulfilled anyway. I got an order in but it is currently "pending review." I expect it'll be cancelled tomorrow.

e; Cancelled.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 7, 2023

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Does anyone have any experience with the Dell Latitude 7390 2 in 1? It's an older laptop with 8th gen i7 and 16GB of RAM. Planning on installing Linux Mint on it and using it for slideshows when I DM TTRPG's.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

We issued a few of those at my job, and I'd say be gentle with them because despite being the business line, those models aren't particularly tough.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

As mentioned it'll probably not be fulfilled anyway. I got an order in but it is currently "pending review." I expect it'll be cancelled tomorrow.

e; Cancelled.

poured one for you.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
looks like we're starting to see benchmarks for the 4000 series laptops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SHsJsAFadU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That video is great, but that was a badly chosen 3080ti laptop when making the value judgement, especially as the 3080TI was never a good value compared to the 3080. You can get a 3080 laptop for $1500-$1800 that is like 80-90% of the performance of a 3080ti, and that would be a better comparison as both are the "2nd best laptop GPU out". But that said, the 4080 looks like a good option for the high end moving forward (Not now, but maybe by summer). I'm more interested in the lower power options, but frame generation could be an awesome option for laptops where you probably aren't playing competitive titles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Here's one about the 4090, which seems like a truly ridiculous laptop gpu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmxGhwltmU

It honestly might be too fast for a laptop gpu? Not even the 13950HX can keep up at 1440p in a lot of games. You clearly aren't getting the most out of this thing unless you hook it up to a 4K monitor or turn on ray tracing in everything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I hadn't noticed the 4090 is under a pretty reasonably power envelope. That's actually really cool. I agree it probably doesn't have a realistic place in a laptop but it's nice to see GPUs outrunning everything else and not be such power hogs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I am 100% planning on getting the XG Mobile 4090 for my Flow Z13 when it becomes available. Yes, it will be stupid overkill at 1929x1200 and will cost as much as a full laptop, but gently caress it. It's going to be a 150w GPU that won't heat up the internals of the device and will give me top notch full performance AAA gaming anywhere.

I'll be curious to see how it stacks up to my desktop with a 3070ti in it.

I'll probably end up selling my G15 after that as there won't be much point of it.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Lockback posted:

I hadn't noticed the 4090 is under a pretty reasonably power envelope. That's actually really cool. I agree it probably doesn't have a realistic place in a laptop but it's nice to see GPUs outrunning everything else and not be such power hogs.

That's because it's not a 4090, it's a 4080. But this is pretty typical of laptop parts, they generally cap the top sku at ~150w because even big chassis cannot dissipate more.

Ada was a huge jump in efficiency over ampere and that should make for some very performant laptop parts.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VorpalFish posted:

That's because it's not a 4090, it's a 4080. But this is pretty typical of laptop parts, they generally cap the top sku at ~150w because even big chassis cannot dissipate more.

Ada was a huge jump in efficiency over ampere and that should make for some very performant laptop parts.
About that, he actually did a follow up comparing to a desktop 4090:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx8H0936YdY

There's always the power constraint obviously but an actual 4090 chip at 150w would be faster than the 4080 at 150w.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Legion 5 Pro with the 12th gen i7 and 3070ti is on sale again for $1,399 at B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1746503-REG/lenovo_82rf000bus_16_legion_5_pro.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

^^^ that is a good deal and good timing to drop by and post about the first RT-enabled game I've tried on this Legion 5 Pro w/ 3070Ti and 5800H.

Hogwarts Legacy is running at 70fps with occasional dips to 60 or so on High Settings with RT Shadows also on High, RT AO + Reflection disabled, DLSS Quality.

RT Reflection was working fine until getting into an area with reflective flooring where it imposed a huge hit, higher than I expected - this may be poorly implemented in the game. RT AO was a constant and significant hit to performance with not much impact on visual quality in eyeball compares in this game. RT Shadows is non-negotiable and is why I want RT gear in the first place.

This is on a 3440x1440 ultrawide which is my sweet spot, so I'm very happy with the performance of this laptop. But I've read performance problems show up once you get to Hogwarts proper and I'm still in the tutorial.

The only weird effect I'm seeing seems to be a DLSS artifact where some lit edges stick around for a split second when I rotate quickly. Though as I write this it seems more likely to be a bad motion blur artifact as switching through DLSS Quality - Balanced - Performance didn't really change that artifacting.

The only game I've played on it until now is Pathfinder: Kingmaker and I was running that in 30W quiet mode. This is the first time I've really engaged with the 150W performance mode.

Looking at the gaming deals site there don't seem to be many 3070Ti deals floating around any more. So the above is a good way to get one if you fancy the last gen.