Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Holy crap! A real joke in Macanudo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Q-rais' stuff seems to really have a thing for cutesy bleakness and/or existential horror.
I probably first learned about them here, but in case someone else hasn't heard, there are some Q-rais-made animations on Youtube. I quite like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48-RA4BNXVc
They tend to also go for a bleak/mildly unnerving tone and surrealism.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 15, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 20-21, 1992)

Big Nate

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

NPVore.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (June 18-20, 1923)

And as a small bonus, a selection from the June 20, '23 edition of Them Days Is Gone Forever which caught my eye.

If you don't remember the gimmick from the time we took this strip for a test drive, the dialogue is sung to the tune of "Turkey In The Straw".

Toonerville Folks (August 23-25, 1920)

Dok's "Sliding Sense of Job Insecurity" Duck (July 24, 1914)

Anyway, back to Little Lefty, and it looks like Buttons spilled the beans in the missing Saturday strip. (December 20-22, 1937)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is it just an intentional gag at this point that RJ Haywire doesn't have a consistent personality or appearance?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Thanks to the timg it took a couple of beats to realize that no, Archie’s dad did not ˇPLOP! so hard that his pants came off in the last panel

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I've been participating in a Sci-fi TTRPG and we visited a seedy space yakitori stand. I tend to doodle during the sessions and was inspired by Uramachi Sakaba on how such a place could source their meat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hempuli posted:

I've been participating in a Sci-fi TTRPG and we visited a seedy space yakitori stand. I tend to doodle during the sessions and was inspired by Uramachi Sakaba on how such a place could source their meat.

Better than how hot dogs are made (drat, that's a fine post-apocalyptic burger bar).

In today's Blueberry: Campbell can't read the room, or Where we last left our flashback, or timg'd again for old man-rear end

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

lmfao at the radically changing proportions between panels.

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 01, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

this stretch of foob has put me in such a sour mood man

e: oh my god i looked at the archives and we're in this until valentine's!!!!

riderchop fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 2, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder if any of them are starting to think it might have been easier after all to sail down the Med and up the Atlantic coast. They might have to fight their way through Gibraltar, but at least they wouldn't be hauling the drat boats uphill. Again. :argh:

People took this route in real life, so I assume it makes practical sense. I agree that as far as hard work goes I'd rather be pulling on an oar myself though.

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

drat those are fine elephant facts.

4. Elephants are just awesome all around
ǝnɹ┴ ˙∀

Oh that's too bad, I liked the design of the evil Toucan. Also :stare:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 31, 1955)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/1/03

Brenda Starr 4/30/50

Smokey Stover 9/14/52

Everyday Movies 1/23/36

"Don't order chop suey, Gladys, you can get it in any drug store."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/23-25/40

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 2, 2023

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm sorry, is Gil Thorp referencing Chainsaw Man!?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I just want to say that Pogo is another one of those strips I encountered at too young an age to be bothered trying to figure out what everyone was saying and too late in it's run to grow to appreciate. Also what I encountered was apparently a reboot? Anyway, like with Prince Valiant I appreciate getting a chance to experience it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I hate everything about this whole storyline.

quote:

this stretch of foob has put me in such a sour mood man

:same:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

extremely looking forward to the visual of dastardly black hat guy trying to run down a German shepherd in a midget car, knees all drawn up to his chest like Waluigi in Mario Kart

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Green Intern posted:

This is like when Rex Morgan referenced Precure. What the hell.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think they were meant to be doing this trip in late winter/early spring to avoid the storms in the North Atlantic. Some reason like that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My Lovely Horse posted:

extremely looking forward to the visual of dastardly black hat guy trying to run down a German shepherd in a midget car, knees all drawn up to his chest like Waluigi in Mario Kart

A midget car bought from Jay Leno, no less!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hippocrass posted:

I just want to say that Pogo is another one of those strips I encountered at too young an age to be bothered trying to figure out what everyone was saying and too late in it's run to grow to appreciate. Also what I encountered was apparently a reboot? Anyway, like with Prince Valiant I appreciate getting a chance to experience it.

Ah yes, the 90s reboot of Pogo, which I and probably most of the world have forgotten. A fine example of a project that was doomed from the start.

Green Intern posted:

Hey, Henry Barajas is a mere whippersnapper of 32. He hasn't completely lost touch with what Kids These Days are into.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
FOOB is worse than brooke's poo poo. I said it. I meant it. Brooke understand nothing but Lynn understands she is mom and therefore long suffering and always right.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think that's too far. Her "it's rough being a mother" schtick is nothing compared to the "nothing is sexier than people (including children) watching other people have sex in public places" manifesto.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Ah yes, the 90s reboot of Pogo, which I and probably most of the world have forgotten. A fine example of a project that was doomed from the start.

Hey, Henry Barajas is a mere whippersnapper of 32. He hasn't completely lost touch with what Kids These Days are into.

I'm older than the Gil Thorp writer... :screamy:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

I was told once this little routine isn't really about trying out a bottle like you'd try a sample at an ice cream place. It's more about making the the bottle isn't skunked, and that basically nobody ever sends one back.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Catching up with the thread.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Suddenly, a tornado rips through town!

Andertoons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have the guards at this prison done anything wrong? Because they have extracted their target, they should be leaving, but instead they are choosing to stay and kill people.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Green Intern posted:

I'm older than the Gil Thorp writer... :screamy:

I’m almost twice his age :corsair:

goatface posted:

Have the guards at this prison done anything wrong? Because they have extracted their target, they should be leaving, but instead they are choosing to stay and kill people.

Prison guards will not let an escapee go without some effort at tracking & stopping. Arguably, they’re sowing discouragement.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This storyline still has its faults, but the art has been fantastic.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

goatface posted:

The comic is relying on the reader knowing that they're guards at a torture prision in a fascist dictatorship and also bit on the idea that they can't quickly escape now that Savarna stirred up the wasps' nest.

But I guess they are opening themselves to the "contractors on the Death Star II" guilt by association problem.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Catching up with the thread.

The Phantom

Honestly, I'm not used to stories where the Phantom uses his guns to kill people. In every story I've read he uses his guns to shoot guns out of other people's hands.

goatface posted:

Have the guards at this prison done anything wrong?

They're torturing people for a fascist regime.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

goatface posted:

ACAB and Bash the Fasc

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, I didn't remember it being a torture site.

Still seems like it would have been easier to dart her full of jungle sedatives and carry her out like a phantom imo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Lunch

Noor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Weembles posted:

The comic is relying on the reader knowing that they're guards at a torture prision in a fascist dictatorship and also bit on the idea that they can't quickly escape now that Savarna stirred up the wasps' nest.

But I guess they are opening themselves to the "contractors on the Death Star II" guilt by association problem.

The assumption is if you're reading The Phantom in 2023, you're already up to speed on the lore.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 19, 1935)

Peanuts (February 5, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 20, 1989)

Dinkleshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 4, 1939)

Olive & Popeye

After dialing it back for a few years, Christmas came back to Out Our Way in a major way in '39 and '40. Maybe the entire rest of the world being on fire will do that to you. (December 23-25, 1940)

So what's the panel JR Williams sends out for the big "peace on Earth" day itself?

Preparation for war, of course. :ohdear:

(Yeah, I saw the wrong date too, but this is one that went out in the papers that published on December 25th.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 2, 2023