Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I originally heard a version of this story myself on the podcast Flash Forward. It recently ended (the people involved will be coming up with some new stuff), but it looks at various future scenarios/technologies in a very clear-headed and cspam-approved way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

ekuNNN posted:

I still find suicide drones very cyberpunk, and I wonder when we'll see them used in the west for the first time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Caracas_drone_attack

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ekuNNN posted:

I still find suicide drones very cyberpunk, and I wonder when we'll see them used in the west for the first time

as a senior vice president at raytheon, we're gonna make so much money copying these

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Is it really a "suicide drone" if the drone has no choice in the matter if it blows up or not?

there’s a poster in GiP that is (was?) a reserve ADA officer. they said they’ve been beating the “a suicide drone is called a cruise missile” drum for years but it’s a lost battle.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

redleader posted:

as a senior vice president at raytheon, we're gonna make so much money copying these

https://www.avinc.com/tms/switchblade

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
its pretty cyberpunk to link weapons company websites lmao

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
where is the "purchase" button??

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mola Yam posted:

where is the "purchase" button??

You have to make your own with a drone and tannerite and something to detonate the tannerite.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

For a couple of days there was a patreon for people to crowdfund bombs. Naturally people got very upset when Patreon decided that was a terrible idea

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

For a couple of days there was a patreon for people to crowdfund bombs. Naturally people got very upset when Patreon decided that was a terrible idea

Cyber-authoritarianism

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
crowdfund bombs? like open source bomb designs? or people pooling money together to pay someone to blow up some public figure with a car bomb? or some ukraine related thing?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
all of those together really

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

xposting, dunno if this was brought up yet, this ai TTS is drat near flawless

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
idk having a computer read me a book is like base level good use of a computer

edit: that voice for the gatsby book does sound good

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A Bakers Cousin posted:

idk having a computer read me a book is like base level good use of a computer

edit: that voice for the gatsby book does sound good

Video game characters work great because the voice sample clips used to train it are usually crystal clear to begin with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwBkR_qp20k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZSDJWXaEb0

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 06:39 on Feb 2, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
By cludging together deepfakes, ai tts, chatGPT and, idk, an in house job interview ai I wonder how many email "jobs" you could do at once

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s a poster in GiP that is (was?) a reserve ADA officer. they said they’ve been beating the “a suicide drone is called a cruise missile” drum for years but it’s a lost battle.

idk the current state of the art w/ cruise missiles, but aren't those big and expensive and launched from dedicated devices? the way you could use small lovely suicide drones seems quite different to cruise missiles?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Alright, I really need jon irenicus doing the open palm slap one.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

crowdfund bombs? like open source bomb designs? or people pooling money together to pay someone to blow up some public figure with a car bomb? or some ukraine related thing?

Pool their donations together to pay for weapons to drop on Russians

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

Video game characters work great because the voice sample clips used to train it are usually crystal clear to begin with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwBkR_qp20k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZSDJWXaEb0

lmaooooo

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ikanreed posted:

Alright, I really need jon irenicus doing the open palm slap one.

I...I can hear it :stare:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess if you wanted to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat about it, the difference is whether the flying bits are normally intended to fly by themselves without blowing up, or if you can land the thing/bring it back without it blowing up, which cruise missiles and guided bombs generally cannot do

I'm still on team "it's a guided bomb" though

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Today I read about a woman with locked-in syndrome who was given a brain computer interface that lets her communicate. She used it to send messages like "I don't even own my house anymore", "I'm so poor", and "I'm struggling to get by". I don't have a link for you because I immediately began screaming "aaaaagh!" and closed the tab.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Today I read about a woman with locked-in syndrome who was given a brain computer interface that lets her communicate. She used it to send messages like "I don't even own my house anymore", "I'm so poor", and "I'm struggling to get by". I don't have a link for you because I immediately began screaming "aaaaagh!" and closed the tab.

lmao

yeah that's modern cyberpunk I'm disabled so I can't afford to keep my various synthetic bits properly maintained

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I have no mouth but I must scream (about my crippling debt)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

could be worse, could have a twitch plays women with locked in syndrome for likes and subs

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Renaissance Robot posted:

I guess if you wanted to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat about it, the difference is whether the flying bits are normally intended to fly by themselves without blowing up, or if you can land the thing/bring it back without it blowing up, which cruise missiles and guided bombs generally cannot do

I'm still on team "it's a guided bomb" though

the drone bomb stuff is less a revolution in kind and more a revolution in quantity/price. A lot of stuff that historically would have just been too much of a pain in the rear end to be worth trying to target with more traditional guided bombs is now just totally in play for bombin'.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Are there any “cruise missiles” that can end their flights without destruction?

That seems to me to be the difference between them and suicide drones.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://www.barrons.com/articles/drone-maker-stock-ukraine-military-aid-51647457722

quote:

As Switchblade 300 systems cost approximately $70,000 per aircraft...

lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

redleader posted:

idk the current state of the art w/ cruise missiles, but aren't those big and expensive and launched from dedicated devices? the way you could use small lovely suicide drones seems quite different to cruise missiles?

that’s what people think of when they say cruise missiles, at least thinking of US ones. the point is more that “suicide drones” are just another type of guided warheads and people are strangely dramatic about the name

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s what people think of when they say cruise missiles, at least thinking of US ones. the point is more that “suicide drones” are just another type of guided warheads and people are strangely dramatic about the name

Cruise missile: good, cool name, expensive
Suicide drone: name makes you think thoughts, bad, cheap

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Justin Tyme posted:

xposting, dunno if this was brought up yet, this ai TTS is drat near flawless

I think the industry belief is that TTS expands the audiobook catalog and lowers the cost of entrance to getting an audiobook out there. But true audiobooks, as opposed to TTS narration, are a higher quality and represent a 'performance' rather than a piece of data transformed into a narration. The difference is subtle, but it matters in terms of branding and quality of product produced.

It'll probably be that many titles are available on TTS only, many titles (particularly higher tier books) are only available via human narration, and many titles, both are available, though maybe not readily at the same time from the same distributer.

Which is really to say, audiobook listeners care A LOT about their narrators and the value they add to the performance.

E: I work in audiobooks.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I think the industry belief is that TTS expands the audiobook catalog and lowers the cost of entrance to getting an audiobook out there. But true audiobooks, as opposed to TTS narration, are a higher quality and represent a 'performance' rather than a piece of data transformed into a narration. The difference is subtle, but it matters in terms of branding and quality of product produced.

It'll probably be that many titles are available on TTS only, many titles (particularly higher tier books) are only available via human narration, and many titles, both are available, though maybe not readily at the same time from the same distributer.

Which is really to say, audiobook listeners care A LOT about their narrators and the value they add to the performance.

it's true, stephen king audiobooks aren't worth listening to unless they get steven weber

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

DisgracelandUSA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74jfnTczdG4
Just need to do the rest

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's true, stephen king audiobooks aren't worth listening to unless they get steven weber

the other stephen, stephen fry, also has lots of fans who buy the audiobooks just for him

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Jel Shaker posted:

the other stephen, stephen fry, also has lots of fans who buy the audiobooks just for him

There's a ton of narrators like this.

I feel like TTS AI is probably capable of producing something comparable / on par with the ensemble cast performances (often with original music) of some big audiobooks, but that's extremely long tail. And at that point, you run into some of the same philosophical arguments/discussions about whether or not generative content is actually art, etc. E: also sincerity/authenticity, see that post pages back about suicide hotline chat bot.

The tech is neat, definitely opens some avenues, but might put the squeeze on on the VA/Narrator/Contributor/Radio DJ/News Broadcaster/talking as a profession community.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
vPodcaster

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
finally the dream of a fully automated morning zoo drivetime radio show can be realized

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
vivec reading the 36 lessons in their entirety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kitfox88 posted:

vivec reading the 36 lessons in their entirety

That's a great mod idea. Turn all Morrowind books into audiologs.