Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Honestly man you've posted good photos in other threads I dunno why you waste your energy in this one posting ironically.

I'm not posting ironically, I'm very earnest in it actually.

This is the bird thread, so I post birds. Sure they're not the Status Quo of bird photos, but that's on purpose - there's enough super sharp super crisp super zoomed in super bokeh'd photos. I want to elevate those out of their technically perfect cave and into an abstraction of the idea of Bird and how it exists in our minds.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I don't really have a problem with it, but I wont be posting my bird portraits in the portrait thread, or my bird taken in an urban setting in the street photography section etc.

I think you can probably see how for it you might be subversive and have artistic merit, to some it might come over as "taking the piss" especially if it became spammy.

I don't react to them because I don't particularly think they meet your goals as stated but I am not here to give artistic criticism.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Tbf, there are very few landscapes in the landscape thread.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

This is the bird thread, so I post birds. Sure they're not the Status Quo of bird photos, but that's on purpose - there's enough super sharp super crisp super zoomed in super bokeh'd photos. I want to elevate those out of their technically perfect cave and into an abstraction of the idea of Bird and how it exists in our minds.
they actually kinda suck

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i thought it was a running joke and usually had a small giggle before scrolling by to the good stuff

i like the shitpost photos in the pyf birb thread though

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

While I get your idea, and believe it could work as a separate collection, in this thread it feels like you are walking around with a bunch of birders, claiming you totally see a bald eagle, when in reality you spotted a eagle painted on U-Haul truck passing on the nearby road.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This is actually answering a lot of questions I had. Whenever I’m new to an SA thread I just assume anything I don’t understand is an inside joke that’s been going on for 20 years.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Whenever I’m new to an SA thread I just assume anything I don’t understand is an inside joke that’s been going on for 20 years.

same here buddy

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

today's lunch outing wasn't the greatest haul but I managed to snap a pic of this extinct bird

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

I don't really have a problem with it, but I wont be posting my bird portraits in the portrait thread, or my bird taken in an urban setting in the street photography section etc.

I think you can probably see how for it you might be subversive and have artistic merit, to some it might come over as "taking the piss" especially if it became spammy.

I don't react to them because I don't particularly think they meet your goals as stated but I am not here to give artistic criticism.

these are all the same thing

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

today's lunch outing wasn't the greatest haul but I managed to snap a pic of this extinct bird

Spitfires might be endangered but they aren't extinct yet.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
this is one of the biggest who care ive ever seen i dont think bob is taking the piss maybe his photos dont hew to the popular aesthetic or display the same ornithological fascination but i dont really see why they should bother anyone

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

I enjoy seeing less conventional bird posts sprinkled in here. It makes me feel better about not owning huge lenses :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Tbf, there are very few landscapes in the landscape thread.

I wish there was a seperate carpark thread and landscape thread. I do like the moody shots of dirty diners on film, but I also like snow capped Yosemite shots, ya know?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Twenties Superstar posted:

this is one of the biggest who care ive ever seen

one of those "just keep scrolling if you don't like it" moments

or an ignore button moment

i will continue to enjoy their photos along with everyone else's contributions, it's just nice to see the thread so active

I love birds!!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Song Sparrow on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Not posting a photo because this is just a forwarning/reminder

If you go on vacation to somewhere different, please for the love of god take a camera body and at least a decent zoom lens. I've been in Mexico since sunday and all I've brought is a 18-45mm kit lens for my little Fuji and I'm DYING. I've seen 31 new species of bird just in the resort alone and while they get close, if I had my 70-300 I'd be FEASTING on all the new shots of these birds.

Don't make the mistake I did. Bring your camera and smaller zoom lens. :negative: Don't be like me.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Going to Lanzarote soon, trying to work out if I get the 500 f/4 in my hand luggage or if I just take the 100-400.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Skimmers! Unusual in my county and I finally made it to see the 4 that have been hanging out a local birding hotspot. Pretty happy with these for a first visit but I'd love to return when the light's better and hopefully get them doing their thang.

Meeker Slough skimmers-0310 on Flickr

Meeker Slough skimmers-0295 on Flickr

Meeker Slough skimmers-0330 on Flickr

Meeker Slough skimmer avocets godwits etc-0257 on Flickr

Meeker Slough White-crowned Sparrow-0457 on Flickr

Meeker Slough Hermit Thrush-0079 on Flickr

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
I finally went through a bunch of photos I took this summer

Wilson's Phalarope
Wilson's Phalarope
Wilson's Phalarope

Female Wood Duck

Northern Mockingbird
Northern Mockingbird

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I like it

These are great. Wood duck and the second mockingbird are my faves.

I went for a second try for some local varied thrushes. These are better than what I got last week but still not what I was hoping. They look ok on a small screen but I'm going to need to run them through Topaz before I try to print I think.

Tilden Varied thrush-5036 on Flickr

Tilden Varied thrush-4998 on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Slotducks posted:

Not posting a photo because this is just a forwarning/reminder

If you go on vacation to somewhere different, please for the love of god take a camera body and at least a decent zoom lens. I've been in Mexico since sunday and all I've brought is a 18-45mm kit lens for my little Fuji and I'm DYING. I've seen 31 new species of bird just in the resort alone and while they get close, if I had my 70-300 I'd be FEASTING on all the new shots of these birds.

Don't make the mistake I did. Bring your camera and smaller zoom lens. :negative: Don't be like me.

I really stepped out of my comfort zone for these - not used to this stuff at all.

Pair of Yucatan Jays

Party of Yucatan Jays

Great Kiskadee

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Another gray day, another crow. Wonder what this guy has done to the "fingertip" feathers?

Hooded crow by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Primaries get notched over time they'll drop and new ones will appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-18aw4XhO4

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 9, 2023

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Saw a crow last summer who was missing its tail entirely. Flew a bit wobbly and looked bare assed.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Check out this bait stealing bird.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Brrrmph posted:

Check out this bait stealing bird.

:perfect:

Dude looks extremely unimpressed with these shenanigans.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Some mallards from yesterday - is the radial filter too much?

Mallards by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

You can only see it when you really zoom out on the photo - preview and actual size you can't see it. You're good.

Before I hit up Mexico, I hit up a spot where the birds are the least human scared I've ever seen them. Almost felt like cheating. lovely light though; so Topaz Denoise saved the hell out of the entire shoot

Tufted Titmouse - these guys loved the peanuts

Hairy Woodpecker

White-breasted Nuthatch

Northern Cardinal

Black-capped Chickadee - this one looked at this pile of seeds for what seemed forever, choice paralysis probably

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Cardinals are cool, man

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I have seen pictures that some people are attaching red dot sights to their birding lenses to help with BIF aiming :blaster:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sorbus posted:

I have seen pictures that some people are attaching red dot sights to their birding lenses to help with BIF aiming :blaster:

How does that work? You need to look down the viewfinder? Do you mean a laser?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

How does that work? You need to look down the viewfinder? Do you mean a laser?

I think it is easier to get the aim on the bird using a red dot sight and then just switch to evf. I have some troubles with 600mm if the bird is not far enough.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sorbus posted:

I think it is easier to get the aim on the bird using a red dot sight and then just switch to evf. I have some troubles with 600mm if the bird is not far enough.

Yeah that's interesting, certainly hard to pick them up with narrower FOV when they are so close. Do you have any example setups to link to?

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 15, 2023

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

Yeah that's interesting, certainly hard to pick them up with narrower FOV when they are so close. Do you have any example setups to link to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qTulqRd5Fk&t=1376s

I spotted it from this video, looks like there are hot shoe to weaver mount adapters available for purchase in Amazon etc.

Not going to buy one though as it would be too tacticool for me :D

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Guessing I'm gonna have a harder task getting the gear here in the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I can see it being really useful for those running a teleconverter plus a longer length lens but also lmao what